Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomshire Flag
Can spawn bags be in the water while pcing?
    #13242934 - 09/24/10 11:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I asked this in another thread of mine but no one ever got back to me.

As long as the bag is off of the bottom is it cool to have it in the water a bit? I cant really see why not.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMikeallojee
Coolaid smile
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW WA
Re: Can spawn bags be in the water while pcing? [Re: Base Icks]
    #13243066 - 09/24/10 11:50 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Mine are always in the water. I think you hit the main point to keep them off the direct heat at the bottom. I also place jar lids on the sides and inbetween the bags to allow steam flow over all surfaces. I haven't had a problem after dozens of pcing myco bags. myc

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can spawn bags be in the water while pcing? [Re: Mikeallojee]
    #13243769 - 09/25/10 07:19 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

It depends on how you have the top of the bag situated. The way I do mine is roll the top of the bag around the bag, with the filter protected inside the fold. If I was to sit this in water, even a few inches, I would think that the water would penetrate through the filter. Boiling water will be moving around allot in there so even if it looks like the water line is under the filter when you put it in. But as long as you can keep the filter out of the waer then I think you will be fine.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can spawn bags be in the water while pcing? [Re: sandman420]
    #13243811 - 09/25/10 07:36 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I was just gonna do RR style, and do the accordion fold.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #13243896 - 09/25/10 08:19 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

The bags can be touching the water.  Ensure that steam can penetrate all the way around the bag and/or the spaces between bags.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
    #13243898 - 09/25/10 08:21 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Are you using an impulse sealer to close your bags or are you employing tyvek wrist sleeves?

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can spawn bags be in the water while pcing? [Re: hamloaf]
    #13244006 - 09/25/10 08:58 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Tyvek.

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
    #13244078 - 09/25/10 09:18 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can spawn bags be in the water while pcing? [Re: hamloaf]
    #13244091 - 09/25/10 09:23 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Can spawn bags be in the water while pcing?

Yes.

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can spawn bags be in the water while pcing? [Re: sandman420]
    #13244096 - 09/25/10 09:26 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

sandman420 said:
If I was to sit this in water, even a few inches, I would think that the water would penetrate through the filter. Boiling water will be moving around allot in there so even if it looks like the water line is under the filter when you put it in. But as long as you can keep the filter out of the waer then I think you will be fine.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe (and from experience have witnessed) that the filters are designed so that water will NOT pass through them.  If (any significant) amount of water was able to pass through the filter patch, then your substrate would dry out over time.  Having cooked spawn bags and had them sit in a drawer for literally months before inoculating them, I can say that at least with my spawn bags, no desiccation occurred and the spawn remained at the optimum moisture content.

Edit:

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Are you using an
impulse sealer to close your bags or are you employing tyvek wrist sleeves?

Quote:

Base Icks said:
Tyvek.

Ah, I think that if water was going to enter at any point, it would be there - not through the filter patch.

Is there any real benefit to using tyvek in this manner?  I've been using an impulse sealer for years (and was sealing the bags before PCing well before they started advertising that you could do that - there was a thread here where we discussed that as long as you had enough bags in your PC so that even when they expanded, they would press against each other and be unable to burst, that pre-sealing would be fine.  I'm not certain this is the mechanism that allowed pre-sealing, but i'm certain that it worked just fine!)

I paid less than $30 for my impulse sealer on eBay - I believe it's a 14" one, but it may only be 12" which is still plenty.  Before that, there was a period of time where I was cooking my bags with the tops folded over and paper-clipped - and when I would take them out, I'd just wrap the tops of the bags (paper clips and all) with copious amounts of duct tape.  I ended up with a surprisingly low contam rate considering the crude (and lazy, and cheap) method I was employing - but the impulse sealer ended up being FAR superior and I certainly wouldn't recommend the duct-tape thing to anyone.

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Edited by the spiral (09/25/10 09:36 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags