Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Sterilized Grain Bag for Spawn   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: RIPPER ON TV!!!!!!!! [Re: ]
    #1325079 - 02/21/03 02:34 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you for clarifying immaculate.

If that is the way these kids were acting on there, then they needed to shut it down. I know some of you will not agree, but this is my opinion.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShRo_0My
KillaHo

Loc: overTHErainbow, BC
Re: RIPPER ON TV!!!!!!!! [Re: sirreal]
    #1325376 - 02/21/03 06:23 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Ripper was said to be an experienced user....pfffffffFFFffffff

thats bullshit. Experienced users would know their limits, and they wouldn't test them every chance they had. Ripper did this, therefore, he wasn't experienced at all.

I don't know about you, but I'd hate to be known as an 'experienced Pharms user'
thats just wack.

But...RIP ripper, no one deserves death.

peace.

--------------------
Evil is anointed, get disappointed
Guillotine to your spleen
You'll get defeated, you can't beat it, join it

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#1325646 - 02/21/03 10:30 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Sigh...

To clarify my point of view once more: It was irresponsible for him to take those huge doses he started with. But there is a point where one is so effectively fucked up that one cannot be held liable for his/her actions.

If you combine 80mg of methadone (a sub-lethal amount: it is more potent than morphine) with the equivalent of 160mg of Valium (I said one hundred and sixty milligrams, that's more than 3 ten-pill strips of Valium-5 pills taken at once), pop two Vicodins and puff 5.5 grams of grass as a starting dose for the night, then, tolerance or no tolerance, you may not be responsible for your actions anymore.

So gobbling down all that stuff all at once is gravely irresponsible and can't possibly be justified, but what comes after that may well be beyond your control. If I had taken named amounts he started out with, I would not have lived. But if you read beyond the "Rippercam is up" point, you can clearly see he already was too far gone to take rational decisions & that the final 4x 80mg Methadone OD came as a shock to him, so he most likely did not consciously intend suicide that night.
Let's not roll over the carpet kicking & screaming who'se fault it is...

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: RIPPER ON TV!!!!!!!! [Re: Asante]
    #1325654 - 02/21/03 10:42 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I understand exactly what you are saying. And I agree with you . But a person does make the decisions that get them to the brink. I know that when death is a result it sounds pretty damn cold to rant about personal responsibility, But personal responsibility is of the utmost importance when taking these types of drugs. But I do see your point.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#1325692 - 02/21/03 11:43 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Let's agree that this was a tragedy that should not have happened and would not have happened if he had applied common sense to the plans he made for that weekend.

If the pharmaceutical industry, deeply rooted into medical science, decides to put a given dosage into a single pill, common sense dictates that one should look for a deeper meaning behind that.

Let us give Brandon Vedas' tragic death meaning by going about our psychotropic experiments more responsibly and get involved if someone on OUR Shroomery decides to ignore safety & tries to dodge responsibility.

The Shroomery isn't Me, You, Him and Them: The Shroomery is US !

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineRobbyrob
Cubensis seeker

Loc: Earth
    #1326982 - 02/22/03 04:25 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i didnt know ripper or was i here when he was but I did read the transcript and i made me think about actually seeing this shit must have been freaky.. My condo lenses to his family but i think ripper needed to get control of himself and actions but unfortunately for reasons beyond my understanding he didnt. Maybe from my religious beliefs(santeria) maybe this was his calling..

I feel for him and his family but with this please let learn.. Now your self and always research everything before you dine into it. i read on this forum for a couple of weeks before i even posted anything..

Please KNOW YOUR LIMIMIT

Edited by Robbyrob (02/22/03 04:32 PM)

OfflineXtrablueMushroom
Mushroom Gagnsta
Re: RIPPER ON TV!!!!!!!! [Re: Robbyrob]
    #1334806 - 02/25/03 12:27 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I saw the tail end of this show....did they ever actually mention the shroomery by name? I heard one of the guests say that he was growing mushrooms, but that was all . Also, could someone explain why they would name a bot after someone who commited suicide. Was the IRC related to the shroomer?

--------------------
"When I die, I'll go to heaven, scrape my lungs and smoke the resin" - Xzibit

Edited by XtrablueMushroom (02/25/03 12:34 PM)

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: RIPPER ON TV!!!!!!!! [Re: XtrablueMushroom]
    #1334936 - 02/25/03 01:01 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Pnut was well known and loved in his day. It was out of memorial and remembrance that the bot was named after him. His death was no way related to IRC

Offlineflow
outlaw immortal
Re: RIPPER ON TV!!!!!!!! [Re: diacamomo]
    #1336674 - 02/26/03 03:46 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

what i don't get about this whole thing....
Quote:

He says he was astonished to find out that onlookers watched his brother take alarming amounts of prescriptions pills, yet did nothing to stop him;

how were the people in the chatroom supposed to stop him?? What the hell could they do?

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Re: RIPPER ON TV!!!!!!!! [Re: flow]
    #1337279 - 02/26/03 08:22 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I understand the fact that you can get so fucked up that you don't know what you are doing.... However, he should have never been that fucked up.. THAT was irresponsible... THAT was his fault.

--------------------
The day you were born, you were born free. That is your privilege.

I forgot to remember.

OfflineODhaze
outdoorhaze

Loc: in the haze
Re: RIPPER ON TV!!!!!!!! [Re: diacamomo]
    #1337343 - 02/26/03 08:54 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Ripper was in people magazine...

my grandma asked me "did you hear about that kid who OD'd on his webcam?"

yes grandma,,

many times...

-outdoorhaze-

--------------------
I believe i will go out to the seashore, let the waves wash my mind. Gunna open up my head now just to see what i can find...

Anonymous

Re: RIPPER ON TV!!!!!!!! [Re: ODhaze]
    #1339603 - 02/27/03 05:31 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

n/a

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#1339839 - 02/27/03 07:13 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

go to the search section of this site.

OfflineXtrablueMushroom
Mushroom Gagnsta
Re: RIPPER ON TV!!!!!!!! [Re: neuro]
    #1340852 - 02/27/03 01:09 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Does anyone know if they have mentioned the Shroomery by name in any of the media coverage of this story? I'm guessing if it was, that is why the other drugs forums is gone....

--------------------
"When I die, I'll go to heaven, scrape my lungs and smoke the resin" - Xzibit

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1340863 - 02/27/03 01:14 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Other Drugs isn't gone, it's in the Community section

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#1341403 - 02/27/03 06:16 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

the site wasn't mentioned, but they mentioned it as a chat server in any media coverage i saw, and nothign was said about the site specifically on the show... i don't know about "The Today Show" though as i didn't see that segment.

OfflineRich
Stranger
Re: RIPPER ON TV!!!!!!!! [Re: neuro]
    #1346277 - 03/02/03 06:57 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I haven't posted in a few weeks, so as a reminder I am Brandon's (ripper's) brother Rich.

It seems to be a theme throughout this thread that many of you like to start with an assumption about what you think you know and then build a case upon it. The family is not blaming the other users in IRC for his death. We are not blaming the Shroomery for his death.

That being said, clearly the actions of those in the channel that night were irresponsible. If you would like to talk specifics, I guarantee you I know the chat logs better than any of you, so let's discuss it. Other than that you can find the official position here: www.brandonvedas.com and what we're trying to have come out of all this here: www.brandonvedas.org. Try reading up before you pull some random quote out of the media.

For those of you that would try to marginalize my brother's death as someone who was stupid or got what was coming to them, fail to realize the bigger issues with prescription medications and the anonymity of the Internet. Brandon was a person not some screen name.

Rich

Offlinethelox
Re: RIPPER ON TV!!!!!!!! [Re: Rich]
    #1346930 - 03/02/03 01:01 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

If this really is Ripper's brother
first I extend my condolences to you and your family. I find what happened to your brother utterly devestating.
From reading the transcripts myself to me it seemed there were those who were horrified and urged
your brother to stop. I would like to believe the people "egging him on" thought he may have been faking it (if only he was)
I think your brother didn't think for a second that the toxins he was putting in
his body could poision him to death. I feel he felt he would just get messed up like probably many times before and wake up the next day.
I just believe if the people telling him not to take more knew he would die, they would take it back in a second. I'm sure they'll be thinking about it for the rest of their life.
The thing is though who is to say he wouldn't take such a dose if he wasn't online.
I mean those online maybe by some chance have been able to get him help,
but if he wasn't on the 'net nobody would have known a thing..
I know that is no comfort, but the only thing I can say for sure is that what's done is done, as much as we cold contemplate the "what-if's" we are left with "what-now"
I never thought much before Ripper's death about how much pharmacudecals sp? are abused and just how dangerous they can be.

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

Re: RIPPER ON TV!!!!!!!! [Re: thelox]
    #1346969 - 03/02/03 01:19 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Ok I'm disgusted to see so many shroomerites stick to the blame game. Anyone who sits there and says "Well, really its Ripper's fault" just doesn't get it. This is not about finding blame so we can punish the 'bad guy', but rather to understand the situation and change our collective behaviors so shit like this doesn't happen again. Blame aside, there is a lot people could have done to prevent Ripper's death that wasn't done. Rich's goal, and what many people's goal is, is to prevent something like this from happening again. Its not to argue about who is at fault.

Personally I thought they did a good job with the Walsh show. Members of the audience and even Walsh himself tried to villify the net and play the blame game. However Rich drove the discussion away from that, and he never once played the blame game himself.

The discussion should be on why this happened and how it can be prevented. Anyone who cares about the shroomery should contribute to such a cause, because if we don't fix our own problems someone else will, and they won't be nice about how they do it.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: RIPPER ON TV!!!!!!!! [Re: djfrog]
    #1346986 - 03/02/03 01:24 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

okay, i'll bite. so what reasons would YOU give for why this happened. while your at it suggest some solutions that don't infringe on my currently diminishing rights as a responsible adult.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Sterilized Grain Bag for Spawn   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder