Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Slavery Reparations
    #1321525 - 02/20/03 09:10 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Any thoughts on this subject? I'm kind of on the fence on this issue. What do you think of it?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Slavery Reparations [Re: silversoul7]
    #1321539 - 02/20/03 09:16 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I am against it, only for the reason that it happened so long ago it's a non-issue. Both of my parents were interned in the Japanese internment camps during the WW2 (I'm adopted by the way) and were paid reparitions for that since all of their property and possessions were confiscated by the government...the difference is that they were directly affected by it...they are not some distant relative of someone that it happened to that is long since dead.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Edited by Rono (02/20/03 09:55 AM)

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1321540 - 02/20/03 09:17 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know.

On one hand, we really screwed black people, and they haven't recovered still.

On the other hand every race has been persecuted at some point in time, right?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: BLC - I Don't Wanna Go

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1321616 - 02/20/03 09:54 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Slavery Reparations R dum.

Reparations from abuses from the first half of the 20th century are not.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1321652 - 02/20/03 10:08 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Reparations should have been paid to people who were actually slaves. If you do the math now, I'm betting each black person is going to get a few cents.

Instead of wasting money paying reparations, spend that money on community programs and education in inner city areas.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Anonymous

#1321654 - 02/20/03 10:09 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The main argument against reparations has been made. Why should taxpayers now pay for the mistakes of long ago - to people who have not been harmed in the slightest bit by those mistakes?

However, there is more to this issue. For example, though most will agree that American slavery was an awful situation, it was necessary for our independence: through the art of compromise, Jefferson took the condemnation of slavery out of the Declaration of Independence. This politically inncorrect concession united the New England colonies and the Middle and Southern colonies against the British. Long story short, slavery is one of the largest reasons why democracy is so prevalent today.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Slavery Reparations [Re: Learyfan]
    #1321793 - 02/20/03 10:49 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

On one hand, we really screwed black people, and they haven't recovered still.

We???? I had nothing to do with it, my ancestors came to the states after 1900, not one of them ever had slaves, they were dirt poor people who came here with what could fit in one suitcase and the clothes on their backs.

Quote:

On the other hand every race has been persecuted at some point in time, right?

It's my understanding that the term 'slave' derives from the same root as 'Slavic' because the Salvic people were widely used as slaves at one time (I am of Slavic ancestry).

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #1322038 - 02/20/03 12:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Only thing Reparations is gona do is make Cadillac Deville the #1 selling car in America..

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Slavery Reparations [Re: GabbaDj]
    #1322158 - 02/20/03 01:10 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Only thing Reparations is gona do is make Cadillac Deville the #1 selling car in America..

Its funny cause its true

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1322272 - 02/20/03 01:55 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'm in favor of it as long as only those who owned slaves pay reparations to only those who were slaves.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

It's one of the lefts most stupid ideas ever.
It ranks up there with the stupid ideas of social security, welfare, medicare, foreign aid and the like.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleMOE THE MAD SCIENTIST
DRUNK ASS NIGGA

Loc: Atlanta GA
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: silversoul7]
    #1323564 - 02/21/03 02:09 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
ADMINISTRATOR

Shroomery. org

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Duck Hunt, Enemy Enforcer

Loc: Fire in the sky
Re: Slavery Reparations [Re: MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST]
    #1324428 - 02/21/03 10:44 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Since they were supposed to get 40 acres and a mule why not just give them a 40 of old mule. -PGF (Pre Ban)

That was one of the funniest things I've ever read on these forums.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Slavery Reparations [Re: MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST]
    #1324468 - 02/21/03 11:00 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I'm black btw

What!!!! :shocked:

Are you sure?

:laugh:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Anonymous

#1324970 - 02/21/03 03:11 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

reparations are absurd. i agree with LDS... they should be paid by those who owned slaves to those who were slaves. at the risk of sounding really ignorant... african americans should consider the fact that instead of living in the poorest and most AIDS-ridden continent on Earth with nothing to eat, they live here instead.... as their "reparation" for the evils of the past.

Anonymous

#1328211 - 02/23/03 08:39 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I can't spend a lot of time on this but I wanted to say:

However.....................

This is not the same thing as if a government stole something from someone.

Of course I am referring to Native Americans here.

The United States violated their treaty with the Lakota after they found gold in the Black Hills. The Supreme Court said that there probably wasn't a more egregious offense like it in the annals of US history.

Millions of acres of the Black Hills are owned by the US government, not by private individuals, nor by the state of South Dakota.

They need to give that land back.

They violated their treaty.

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Duck Hunt, Enemy Enforcer

Loc: Fire in the sky
Re: Slavery Reparations [Re: ]
    #1328443 - 02/23/03 11:05 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This is not the same thing as if a government stole something from someone.

Stealing from someone is of course, wrong. However, it doesn't compare in magnitude to the oppression of men through slavery. The suffering of slaves under their taskmaster's whip is more egregious than the theft of land. It's the theft of freedom and violated everything America supposedly stood for.

I'm not down playing the atrocities committed against the Indians of all tribes. In some ways they suffered more than african slaves by genocide and forced relocation. It's one of the darkest chapters in all of human history as far as I'm concerned. But theft just doesn't compare to true atrocities such as forced relocation, genocide, and slavery. Now that said, this entire country is plundered from indians and IMO everything possible should be done to give back what is rightfully theirs.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Anonymous

Re: Slavery Reparations [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #1328695 - 02/23/03 12:58 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I agree.

I only wish that stealing and the other things you mentioned were the worst things done to us.

Soldiers used to cut the breasts off of dead Navaho women and play catch with them! :mad:  They also used to carve there genitals out of their dead bodies and mount them on the horns of their saddles.

And WE were the savages.  :smirk:

Yeah, right.

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northern Ohio
Re: Slavery Reparations [Re: ]
    #1328890 - 02/23/03 02:30 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Why not just pay reparations and clear the issue from the board? The arguments against this are reasonable but on the other hand our government has no problem pissing away 30 billion dollars to Turkey so that we can continue to station arms and soldiers there. Why not do something for the blacks and Indians here in the states who have legitimate grievances? By the way Mushmaster, read Martin Luther Kings book "Chaos or Community?". I think it would make you reconsider your position.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Slavery Reparations [Re: AislingGheal]
    #1329176 - 02/23/03 05:03 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well, what are your arguments for paying reperations?

While you're at it, why don't you pay me reperations because my ancestors (Italian) were persecuted when they arrived in this country? See where this is leading.

And how would we determine which blacks have a legitimate claim to reperations? Many blacks have immagrated here after slavery was abolished.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Slavery Reparations [Re: AislingGheal]
    #1329225 - 02/23/03 05:26 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Why not do something for the blacks and Indians here in the states who have legitimate grievances?

And how do you decide who has a legitimate grievance? Only blacks who have ancestors who were slaves? How do you prove this? Do you just take people's word for it? Let's say you require proof. Do you not give anything to those who had ancestors that were slaves but can't prove it? Do you give the money to all blacks? What of those who came to this country 20 years ago? 30? 40? 100? Where do you draw the line? Rich blacks? Poor blacks?

Reparations are way beyond a silly idea, it's just plain stupid.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion