Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMycophyte
Outkast
Noticable difference in colonizing time between 0 and 25% cracked corn/wbs mix
    #13184745 - 09/12/10 02:04 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I have several qt jars of straight wbs ,and jars with wbs and about 25% cracked corn colonizing for my first fruiting attempt (monotub). Wollongong variety multi-spore syringe from Ralphsters. I have 4 1-1.5pint jars with straight major brand wbs(untreated) and another 4 same size jars with 1/2 that and 1/2 a mix of same grains, plus about 50% cracked corn that i got cheap ($2 for 10lbs). The second run(with the cracked corn) was prepared,  pc'd , and inoculated 4 days after the first. Both runs of grain prepared the same way, ~24hr soak, rinsed till runoff is clear, simmered over low/med heat for 15 min, rinsed heavily for excess corn carbohydrates, dried to the touch, and pressure cooked for 90mins at 10psi(all I have for the moment). Jars cooled overnight and inoculated with 1.5-2 ccs of spores.

4 days later, the jars with the cracked corn have the same or more colonization than those with only the wbs, estimating between 20-40% more colonization.

Terribly sorry, no pics. Realize this sucks. Thank you for reading anyway.

Straight wbs jars appear much drier, is this the reason for the slower colonization? Is it simply moisture content? or do the broken surfaces of the corn kernals offer easier feeding sites for the growing mycelium? Most likely a combo of both, right?

My first jars, prepared the same as the first run of straight wbs, took about average 2-3 wks to colonize 4 1.5pnt jars, golden teachers. I read they are somewhat slower to colonize somewhere on here, and i want to bump up my colonization speed as much as possible, so should i continue with the seemingly faster cracked corn mix, or is the higher moisture content the cracked corn gives going to greatly heighten my contam rates?

Anyone with experience, your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Also, I will soon be fruiting for the first time, using a monotub 14.5 gal. If any interest in a journal or growlog, let me know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Noticable difference in colonizing time between 0 and 25% cracked corn/wbs mix [Re: Mycophyte]
    #13184751 - 09/12/10 02:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

If you leave out the corn, you can skip almost all of that rinsing.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
mycologically driven individual
Male User Gallery

Re: Noticable difference in colonizing time between 0 and 25% cracked corn/wbs mix [Re: Doc_T]
    #13184911 - 09/12/10 02:35 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:

really?  i've found that WBS is the dirtiest of all the grains i've used (never tried cracked corn though).  You have a lot of rinsing to do either way with WBS...

--------------------
[url=http:

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Noticable difference in colonizing time between 0 and 25% cracked corn/wbs mix [Re: SuchSmartMonkeys]
    #13185025 - 09/12/10 02:55 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I don't.
Fill pot, swirl and remove floaters, drain.
Wash with a drop of soap, drain.
Rinse w/ clean water, then fill.

Takes like a minute.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Noticable difference in colonizing time between 0 and 25% cracked corn/wbs mix [Re: Doc_T]
    #13185401 - 09/12/10 03:59 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

If you want to speed up colonization time, quit the spores and start g2g transfers. You'll have more colonized seed than you know what to do with in a few weeks

OfflineXiC_clone
Calls Shots 'Round Here
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth 25XX Flag
    #13185611 - 09/12/10 04:41 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Just about 2.5 mins from pot to jar. :biggrin:

--------------------
Don't soak your WBS dummy! There's an =>easy<= way.
For Your Health!

OfflineMycophyte
Outkast
Re: Noticable difference in colonizing time between 0 and 25% cracked corn/wbs mix [Re: SomeGuy]
    #13185624 - 09/12/10 04:44 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:

Understood. Definitely noticed when doing the post-simmer rinse and subsequent drying that the corn was very sticky(starchy) despite an amount of rinsing that had me watering all my houseplants to try and not waste too much. I swore at the time that I wouldn't use the corn again, but many of the places where I noticed initial spore germination appeared to be on the corn. Just wondering if this was because of the nutrition of the corn itself, or if corn holds moisture better. I'm fine with regular wbs, but the corn mix is half as much, and seems to work at least as well.

My concern is spawning. Seems like the corn may be a bit more prone to contam, but could be wrong.

Didn't thing of the soap idea. Good idea. Thanks for responding.

Quote:

paducahovoids said:
If you want to speed up colonization time, quit the spores and start g2g transfers. You'll have more colonized seed than you know what to do with in a few weeks

Yup. That's the next step. Bought one syringe, got one free from Ralphster's. Made up some honey/corn syrup lc's for each. Only have had success with spores so far, innoced a few jars from early lc and got wet spot and cobweb in 5 of 8 jars. Though from my first experiment with using vermiculite mixed with the grain. Vermiculite was too fine, mix too wet, figured it would contam. Was right. 

Planning to do some G2G transfers with a ghetto glovebox and a pint jar of golden teacher.
Also have a lc of golden teacher with lots of spuz in the jar, looks good, hope it is contam free. Also going to try a grain lc, just paranoid about contams. the first syringe i bought in march amounted to a bunch of contam and not much else. Hoping for better results this time.

Your expertise is appreciated.

Edited by Mycophyte (09/12/10 04:50 PM)

OfflineMycophyte
Outkast
Re: Noticable difference in colonizing time between 0 and 25% cracked corn/wbs mix [Re: XiC_clone]
    #13185639 - 09/12/10 04:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I'm gonna have to get that strainer. Mine sucks for wbs.

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
mycologically driven individual
Male User Gallery

#13190655 - 09/13/10 05:42 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
I don't.
Fill pot, swirl and remove floaters, drain.
Wash with a drop of soap, drain.
Rinse w/ clean water, then fill.

Takes like a minute.

oh, don't get me wrong, i don't even go through the trouble of using soap, but you still ran the thing through 3 rinses....  I usually toss them into a 5 gallon bucket and use a pretty high pressure nozzle on my house to blast them till the bucket is filled, then pour off, and repeat about 5 times or so...  i just do it till the water looks clean.  quicker than you spent with that strainer method for sure, and you can actually see when the water runs off clean...
and to paducahovoids, can only G2G so many times before your spawn grows tired and starts to go into senescence... If you like those hot wings, chickens gotta lay an egg from time to time...

--------------------
[url=http:

Edited by SuchSmartMonkeys (09/13/10 05:43 PM)

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: Noticable difference in colonizing time between 0 and 25% cracked corn/wbs mix [Re: SuchSmartMonkeys]
    #13190834 - 09/13/10 06:22 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with Doc, corn is too sticky to deal with.

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

Re: Noticable difference in colonizing time between 0 and 25% cracked corn/wbs mix [Re: Mycophyte]
    #13190947 - 09/13/10 06:42 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Mycophyte said:
but many of the places where I noticed initial spore germination appeared to be on the corn. Just wondering if this was because of the nutrition of the corn itself, or if corn holds moisture better.

naw its random

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

OfflineMycophyte
Outkast
    #13191295 - 09/13/10 08:04 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SuchSmartMonkeys said:

... i don't even go through the trouble of using soap, but you still ran the thing through 3 rinses....  I usually toss them into a 5 gallon bucket and use a pretty high pressure nozzle on my house to blast them till the bucket is filled, then pour off, and repeat about 5 times or so... 

easier=better. even better when plants need watering. Did you know? If you do try to use the rinse water for your houseplants, you will easily grow great masses of sunflower, milo and millet in all your vines and tropical flora.

Quote:

If you like those hot wings, chickens gotta lay an egg from time to time...

lol. Definitely gonna collect some eggs from the first batch of layers. Will be doing my first monotub colonization tomorrow. If all goes well, should have my first fruits within 2wks or less. Finally. Then I get to try making a clean spore syringe. :rolleyes: Feel fairly confident, though.

OfflineChordProgression
.. IT LIVES!
Male

#13191353 - 09/13/10 08:14 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Jimmy cracked corn, and I don't care?

My master's gone away.

--------------------
Whoa; I can see the music.

OfflineMycophyte
Outkast
Re: Noticable difference in colonizing time between 0 and 25% cracked corn/wbs mix [Re: ChordProgression]
    #13196172 - 09/14/10 07:31 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I was wrong about the date span between the two runs of jars. Inoculated eight days apart. The second batch, exactly 8 days old, has completely colonized 2 jars, 80-90% for the other 2. All four from the first batch are 55-70% colonized. I know, larger chunks of corn make it look like more colonization than the straight wbs jars, but it is clearly outperforming any other run I've done so far. 8 days to complete colonization of a 26oz jar. Wollongong strain. Will be fruiting them next. Doesn't seem like I've seen too much about them. I guess it will be a surprise when i fruit them.

Just spawned my first monotub. :shocked: crosses fingers

Hope this works! I've read too many things about the mushroom experience. I wanna try it!

Offlinegreggor22
Stranger
    #13207693 - 09/17/10 12:51 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

the cracked corn sucks I started buying the more expensive wbs, I catch the floaters and hydrate seperately, then reintroduce to the remainder of the seed, I have a feeling the extra diversity of the sunflower seeds is a good thing, plus in a 40 lb bag approx 1/4th would be lost to floaters being discarded...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck