Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Amateur Mycologist

Loc: Arizona
People in Small Spaces
    #1320427 - 02/19/03 07:45 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not talking about claustrophobia, here.  Or maybe I am.

Have any of you ever had a turtle?  I had a turtle once when I was younger, and I learned somewhere that turtles will not grow to their full potential size if they are not in a large enough container.  I've heard the same thing about different kinds of fish, too.

I feel that the same is true of humans, as well, in terms of the growth of their mind.  I live in a very large space right now.  I attend a university and am surrounded by thousands of diverse people all the time.  I visit the library daily and read books about all sorts of different things.  I meet different people online and exchange thoughts and ideas with them.  My world is huge!

Compare that to a child that grows up in a more rural setting.  All he knows is the farm that he grew up on and the little, one-streetlight town that was down the road.  He doesn't have access to diverse culture or information and ideas from anyone else but the local townsfolk.  His mind--his world--is tiny!

I am a turtle growing up in a large pond out in the wilderness.  I am healthy and big and reaching my full potential.  The farmboy is a turtle in a ten-gallon aquarium.  His quality of life is much poorer than mine.

You see the analogy I'm trying to make? 

You agree or disagree?

-From RebelSteve With Love  :grin: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: People in Small Spaces [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1320437 - 02/19/03 07:51 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

yeah im growing like "packed sardines in a crushed tin box". i live in a stagnating suburban community, been here for 17 years. :wink:

1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: People in Small Spaces [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1320729 - 02/20/03 12:14 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I see what you're getting at Steve but I think that's not neccassarilly the case with the internet being so readily available now a days. Granted, most rural communities have to suffer with dialup AOL crapccess but the information IS atainable to those who wish to know. I myself am no where NEAR as knowledgable as I'd like, being that I dropped out of highschool and what not, but if there's ever something I want to know I can almost always find the answer via one or two google searches.
But hey, not everyone has a computer, so yeah - you're right I guess...

No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

OfflineKenny Bus
The enlightend

Loc: ontario
    #1320845 - 02/20/03 02:49 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

yea you need room to gro...
so then shelter is for the weak?

the turtle in the aqautium is safe, it doesnt need to gro, because the creature with the can of food will always be there.

the turtle in the huge pond might get turned into supe by the creature with the fishing boat, so it needs to gro to defend itself

where would u want to live?

Amateur Mycologist

Loc: Arizona
Re: People in Small Spaces [Re: Kenny Bus]
    #1320958 - 02/20/03 04:50 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Good points!  Living outside of a safe glass enclosure can be dangerous!  I think it's worth the risk, though! :laugh:

I wrote this stupid little poem last night after I made this post:

"I love the world that I am in
I love each new day that begins
I love the place I am within
My world's so great it makes me grin!

Different people everywhere
With different eyes and different hair
Some from here and some from there
With different things and thoughts to share!"

Haha... Stupid, I know...
I wish I could write poetry above the level of Dr. Seuss!

Something else I was thinking about after I made this post was whether or not the turtle in the glass cage would even realize there is a bigger world outside his own.  I mean, I love the world that I live within right now, but there is so much more out there for me to experience... There are so many bigger and better things that I don't even know about.

I might be living in a nice pond, but there are turtles out there that live in the sea!

Is my pond good enough?  Or should I aspire to swim in the ocean someday? 

Is ignorance bliss?

Love ya'll!

Loc: The City
    #1321397 - 02/20/03 08:14 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

You must remember Steve, that some of the people who grow up in that kind of environment find truth and ultimate being, too. My grandparents are almost completely isolated from technology, but they are the happiest people I know. They have found their truths in life. Everyone searches for truth, and, if you search long enough, finds it, no matter where they live.

Access to knowledge and truth is not only found through books and "educational" environments. It all lies within. But I do see your point, and I agree with it in general. Peace.

mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
    #1321557 - 02/20/03 09:25 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Humans have the ability to gain knowledge while reading and talking,
but that has nothing to do with the instant knowledge they can perceive via experiencing the present now and expanding their consciousness till the edge of wisdom.

Edit: And remember that in ,India, and numerous other poor places , where even food is hard to find, some
people climb very high on the mountain of wisdom,

even tho they never had any books or internet.
And this spiritual awakening, seems to be missing alot more from humans who live in the city. 
I think too much information is bad for us. :smile:  j/k

But one thing is for shure. The system has its own rotten way to make us keep it alive.
It offers products.
And we are addicted to them as we are addicted to everything else.

The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek
innerrave Enlightenment By Dancing

Edited by Sterile (02/20/03 09:35 AM)

Loc: Pandurn
Re: People in Small Spaces [Re: Sterile]
    #1324536 - 02/21/03 11:27 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Some problems we have is that almost all people aren't brought up to try to work towards something meaningful to them. A lot of people get wrapped up in a lot of bullshit because they think that is reality. If they would realize that anything can be possible if they realize it is and then design themselves from the inside out, we'd be a lot better off on this Earth.

If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology