Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Just Holding a Drink Makes You Seem Dumb, Study Says
    #13203120 - 09/16/10 08:14 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Just Holding a Drink Makes You Seem Dumb, Study Says
September 15, 2010 - aolnews.com

It doesn't take a Mel Gibson tirade to know that people say dumb things when they're drunk. But new evidence shows that drinking is bad for your image even if you don't open your mouth.

In fact, according to a working paper from the University of Michigan's Scott Rick and the University of Pennsylvania's Maurice Schweitzer, just holding a glass of alcohol makes you look stupid. It does not matter if you're male or female, or whether you drink beer or wine -- if people see you drinking, they think you're dumber than you'd otherwise appear. "It hurts you," Rick tells AOL News.

The study conducted five experiments. One had people judge photographs of others holding an alcoholic drink, a non-alcoholic one or nothing. Another experiment tested how persuasive a speech would be if the audience knew the speaker was drinking alcohol or something nonalcoholic. In both cases, alcohol dimmed the perceived intelligence of the people holding the drinks.

The most damning and universally applicable finding, however, came from the experiment that melded alcohol and job-seeking. Let's say a potential employer takes you, the potential employee, to dinner. The study shows that when you order a glass of wine or a beer, the employer views you as less desirable -- even if the employer orders a drink as well.

Worse still, the study found that when that drink you're holding wasn't of your choosing -- i.e. someone, like perhaps your potential boss, ordered it for you -- "the bias still exists," Rick tells AOL News.

"There are so many associations with alcohol," he adds. And very few of them are positive, as Rick's study reminds.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineI AM SWIM
doin' thangs
 User Gallery

Loc: Feels Changsta Man
Re: Just Holding a Drink Makes You Seem Dumb, Study Says [Re: veggie]
    #13203160 - 09/16/10 08:27 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Whats even more dumb, is the fact that people make assumptions based on appearances only.

LOOKS BAD MAN

but does it FEELS BAD MAN?

--------------------

InvisibleveggieM

Re: Just Holding a Drink Makes You Seem Dumb, Study Says [Re: I AM SWIM]
    #13203256 - 09/16/10 08:57 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You are right, making assumptions based on appearances is rather 'dumb', but that is just the way is.

I was just looking at pics of people holding drinks, to see how I felt, and to me, yeah they look dumb. But, then again, I don't drink, I think alcohol is a nasty drug. When I did drink, I may have felt the opposite.

Like smoking, many years ago when I smoked cigs I thought a chick smoking was kinda sexy. The way she held it, touched it to her lips, exhaled the smoke was a turn on. Now, if I am approaching an attractive woman and then notice she has a cigarette, I make a u-turn. I make all kinds of assumptions about her mentally just because of that.

We shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. We know that, but we all do it to some extent. It's interesting.

OfflineDrugsRGood
Analytical Anarchist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #13203326 - 09/16/10 09:14 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Judging someone because he's holding a drink ? Wow come on! I bet the next article will be about "drinking classes" where if you hold beer you're poor, wine, you're 'average' and exotic drinks, you're wealthier than most. And if you smoke pot you're lazy. If you smoke cigarettes you're dirty and a procrastinator because you can't quit.

Veggie, you're right. Although I will admit I judge people sometimes, my self-awareness quickly helps me to see what I did wrong. Very rarely I'll judge someone and mean it.

--------------------
Life is an adventure; not knowing what's ahead brings a great sense of anticipation; and meeting women is the reward.

Edited by DrugsRGood (09/16/10 09:18 AM)

Offlinethe_drummer
Stucking Foaned
 User Gallery

Loc: The Kan-Abyss
Re: Just Holding a Drink Makes You Seem Dumb, Study Says [Re: DrugsRGood]
    #13203515 - 09/16/10 10:11 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

DrugsRGood said:
Very rarely I'll judge someone and mean it.

Agreed. I judge based on first impression but I rarely accept that judgment as truth. That would just be dumb. I think it's a survival mechanism.

--------------------

"That's the vernacular, isn't it?" --Mrs. Peel

Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: Just Holding a Drink Makes You Seem Dumb, Study Says [Re: the_drummer]
    #13203621 - 09/16/10 10:42 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i'll feel kind of awkward holding a beer or cup at a party sometimes.

--------------------

Offlineauronlives69
psychedelic monk
Male User Gallery

#13203945 - 09/16/10 11:45 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i drink to have fun with friends at a party or something, i'de rather look fun than a stuck up know it all anyday, monkeys too sometimes
<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="
fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>

Edited by auronlives69 (09/16/10 11:54 AM)

Offlinemukhail
Creeper

Loc: Antarctica
Re: Just Holding a Drink Makes You Seem Dumb, Study Says [Re: auronlives69]
    #13204050 - 09/16/10 12:04 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Glad I dont drink, though I dont thing anyone is dumber for drinking. Just dont like to.

OfflineLSDaytripper
Believer
Male

Loc: Ohio
Re: Just Holding a Drink Makes You Seem Dumb, Study Says [Re: auronlives69]
    #13204059 - 09/16/10 12:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Who the fuck came up with the idea for this experiment? It's pointless and entirely subjective. If I want to have a drink at a party, I'm gonna have one, and yes, that does require HOLDING THE DRINK. I could give two shits if some chick across the room thinks I look like an asshole.

--------------------
***** (10:42:46 PM): This is so strange
***** (10:42:53 PM): Becuase I feel that I am very altered
***** (10:42:57 PM): But at the same exact time
***** (10:43:28 PM): I am closer to the real me, the real me who decides who I am, the entire me

OfflineAsAboveSoBelow
The matrix has you

Re: Just Holding a Drink Makes You Seem Dumb, Study Says [Re: LSDaytripper]
    #13204145 - 09/16/10 12:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

This "study" is a lot dumber than somebody holding a drink, that's for sure.

--------------------

You're gonna get hurt real bad :smile:

They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind

Offlineegodeathflux
Guttersnipe
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Stygian Pits Flag
Re: Just Holding a Drink Makes You Seem Dumb, Study Says [Re: AsAboveSoBelow]
    #13204171 - 09/16/10 12:30 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Wow! People react to visual stimuli! Who would have thought? I hope they won an award for that study.

--------------------

"Atrophic interludes weave through my life far too often, for me to fight the biggest enemies"

"Standing on the corner of 5th and Vermouth"

OfflineIssius
Stranger
Male

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: Just Holding a Drink Makes You Seem Dumb, Study Says [Re: egodeathflux]
    #13204222 - 09/16/10 12:44 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Most of you miss the point of this.  Its not something that affects everyday relationships, but it is something to keep in mind when a first impression is the only shot you get.  (I.e., job interview).  It's not saying that if you hold a beer people think you are dumb, its saying that your perceived intelligence is less than when you are holding a water bottle.  There are clearly other factors (dress, groomed-ness, etc.) that will affect it, but the point remains the same, if you need to appear as intelligent as possible, don't hold alcohol.

Invisiblenopalero
dirt worshipper

Loc: up in ya
Re: Just Holding a Drink Makes You Seem Dumb, Study Says [Re: Issius]
    #13204857 - 09/16/10 02:51 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

:orly:

--------------------
the dinosaurs will be back.
only that which has passed can be predicted.
life is both a mirror and a window.

THE GRAYS HOPE TO WIN. STOP. RAINBOW NEEDED URGENTLY.

OfflineBaan
Stranger
Re: Just Holding a Drink Makes You Seem Dumb, Study Says [Re: Issius]
    #13204867 - 09/16/10 02:53 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Still a dumb study.

When I see people drinking, I think "they might act differently because they have been drinking" and I sometimes keep that in mind dependant on the situation.  I don't think "wow those people are dumb".  I didn't even need a funded study to conclude that most people would understand that behavior could be different after a few drinks.

If you ask me, there appears to be attempts nowadays to drive wedges between people...  When stereotyping is taught in schools, but based on things other than race...  I wonder what the education system will do with this!

OfflineJohnP
Why?
Male User Gallery

Re: Just Holding a Drink Makes You Seem Dumb, Study Says [Re: Baan]
    #13205174 - 09/16/10 04:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

It seems to confirm some people's suspicion. It was in my subconscious, I look dumber with a beer. When I drink beer, I act dumb. Cause it's fun and does really seem to make you dumb.

:-) So ifyour going to drink, have fun with it! If not, well... Can you have fun too? Suuuree, just not by being dumb of course :smile:

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

#13216544 - 09/19/10 12:33 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:
I was just looking at pics of people holding drinks, to see how I felt, and to me, yeah they look dumb. But, then again, I don't drink, I think alcohol is a nasty drug. When I did drink, I may have felt the opposite.

I do drink and I agree that just about anyone looks dumber holding a drink.

Sometimes I fill a vodka or gin bottle with water and take it out in public, often taking large gulps of water.  The looks I get are priceless, especially if I am jogging or something like that.

If anyone decides to do this be careful in your car, you can get an open container ticket even if the liquid in the bottle/can is water.

OfflineAsAboveSoBelow
The matrix has you

Re: Just Holding a Drink Makes You Seem Dumb, Study Says [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #13216553 - 09/19/10 12:35 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

damn, I may have to change my opinion if old rockfeller agrees with the article :smile:

--------------------

You're gonna get hurt real bad :smile:

They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind

OfflineMoronicus
smokehousebacon.
Male

#13216558 - 09/19/10 12:37 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

This is why I wear a Beer hat. :yesnod:

--------------------

BACON RANCH, FUCK YEAH

A post about m00nshine

Anonymous #6 said:
Yes, it is. The shine stands for his job title, which is Shoe Shiner, the moon stands for the time he comes out to be a nigger, which is best suited for the negroid camouflage.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale