Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineawakeningosiris
Question about Lighting
    #1319641 - 02/19/03 03:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

A Friend found a flourescent light at walmart that is labeled "Growing light" and was thinking about buying a large rubermaid dark container (120+ qts) and super gluing the light to the top of the container and drilling a few small holes in the top to aid in air flow,....his question is "Will this light be to powerful (too close, too bright, too hot,.etc) and end up harming the growth if its that close to the actual substrates?" if the answer is yes any ideas to fix the solution?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: Question about Lighting [Re: awakeningosiris]
    #1319694 - 02/19/03 03:40 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Got any specs?

Flour lights don't really get that hot... the humidity might be a problem... really, need more info.

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
Re: Question about Lighting [Re: awakeningosiris]
    #1319719 - 02/19/03 03:52 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

If it's a flourescent, I doubt temperature will pose any problem.

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

OfflinePooGrower
Mr. Hanky

Loc: East Side
Re: Question about Lighting [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1319769 - 02/19/03 04:06 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Mr hanky takes his rubbermaid and cuts a large rectangle shape hole out of the top lid. Then tapes up some seran wrap and uses the flurescent like from the outside so it wont dry out the substrate or cause the humidity to go down.

--------------------
"I WONT STOP TILL I HAVE A LIFE TIME SUPPLY" "dont be offended by anything i say, its in a joking manner"

OfflineRobbyrob
Cubensis seeker

Loc: Earth
Re: Question about Lighting [Re: PooGrower]
    #1319948 - 02/19/03 05:07 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mr hanky takes his rubbermaid and cuts a large rectangle shape hole out of the top lid. Then tapes up some seran wrap and uses the flurescent like from the outside so it wont dry out the substrate or cause the humidity to go down.

good stuff.. doesnt get the saran wrap hot?

OfflineSHR00M0L0GIST
Psilocybin Test Subject
Male

Loc: Mescaland
Re: Question about Lighting [Re: Robbyrob]
    #1320084 - 02/19/03 05:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

My entire terrarium was made with stuff from wal-mart. All I did was get a big purple sterilite container (the biggest I could find) and cut a hole in the lid. I made the hole as big as I could while leaving a big enough rim around the lid to sit my window on. To make the window I took another big sterilite container(a clear one) I had laying around and cut the side out of it. I then placed the piece of clear plastic over the hole I made in the lid and taped it on real good with duct tape (making a clear window that is airtight). I use a 28" flourescent plant light that I bought at wal-mart. I just sit it right over top of the window. The window is basically the same size as the light. You could use plexi glass as well. I only used the peice from the clear sterilite container since it was handy. The only thing is that the sterilite containers are hard to cut without breaking the plastic. I had to heat the knife red hot and melt/cut it.

For air exchange I used a $10 dual output fish tank air pump and a 10qt small plastic garbage pail. What I did was this:
In the one side I melted two holes right under the handle just big enough for the air hose to fit tightly. I ran one piece of airhose through each hole with a bubbler stone on the end of each one. I then placed the garbage pail in the terrarium and placed the two air hoses with the bubbler stones into the pail (make sure the stones are touching the bottom of the pail). You then fill the garbage pail with water/peroxide mixture. I then cut two 4" pieces of the airhose and placed them in the other side of the container to allow the old air to excape. The purpose of the container with the water/peroxide is to help create humidity and the peroxide keeps down the airborne contams that would otherwise come in through the air hose (eliminates the need for a filter box). Even with the air pump set up I would still recommend hand fanning like twice a day. The air pump itself is simply not sufficient enough air exchange (though it does help a great deal). The good thing about running the air hose into the garbage pail with water/peroxide is that it creates humidity while giving constant air exchange. Running constant air exchange without the added humidity will probably cause the humidity to be too low.
This is the best terrarium I've had yet and works very well.

Hope that helps!
SHR00M0L0GIST

Edited by SHR00M0L0GIST (02/19/03 05:50 PM)

OfflineJizzlesMcGee
Strangest
Re: Question about Lighting [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1333115 - 02/25/03 03:52 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Flour lights don't really get that hot

I use a fluoro and the temperature in the terrarium increases at least ten degrees. I have a ten gal fish tank with a glass panel for a lid. I now just suspend the fluoro about a foot from the tank and it's not so bad now.

Edited by JizzlesMcGee (02/25/03 03:54 AM)

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
Re: Question about Lighting [Re: JizzlesMcGee]
    #1333506 - 02/25/03 07:25 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Edited by TheHateCamel (12/05/07 09:52 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation