Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Beef Jerky, Brown Rice Flour, Dehydrator, Delicious Bacon, Hot Plate, Hot Sauce, HPS, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Ranch Dressing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12  [ show all ]
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Recipe Thread * 2
    #13181845 - 09/11/10 08:33 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Post your recipes here.  Any recipe with mushrooms in it qualifies.  They don't even have to be the main ingredient.

One of my projects for this winter is to make a few mushroom cooking videos and have them free on my website.  Lots of people have no idea how to go about cooking mushrooms.  At any rate, post your favorite recipes here, and if I use any of them on my website, I'll give credit to whomever credit is due.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13181875 - 09/11/10 08:41 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Mrs Rabbit's Beef Stroganoff

2 pounds lean boneless sirloin or bottom round, trimmed of fat and gristle.

2 teaspoons salt

½ teaspoon ground pepper

4 tablespoons butter

1 medium onion, thinly sliced

1 tablespoon flour

1 tablespoon Dijon-type mustard

½ cup dry white wine

2 teaspoons tomato paste (optional)

1 tablespoon minced onion

½ pound mushrooms, thinly sliced

2 tablespoons dry white wine

1 cup sour cream, preferably warmed

Cut the meat into ½-inch-thick slices and then pound with tenderizing mallet until meat is ¼” thick. Cut meat into 2” by ½” slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.

Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a deep, heavy frying pan. Add the sliced onion and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes. Add meat to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes, turning beef slices constantly so that they are evenly browned on all sides.

Stir in flour and mustard and cook, stirring constantly, for one more minute. Add the ½ cup of wine and optional tomato paste. Reduce heat to low, cover pan and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

In another frying pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the Shiitake mushrooms. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, add 2 tablespoons of wine and cook for 2 more minutes; mushrooms should still be firm. At this point add minced onions and cook with the mushrooms until tender.

Add mushrooms, onions, and their liquid to pan containing the meat. Check seasonings and stir in sour cream. Over lowest possible heat, simmer for about 5 minutes to heat dish through. Do not boil. Serve over a bed of hot cooked rice or pasta, with green vegetables on the side. Serves 4-6.

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinepunkin
Friend of a Friend Who seems OK
Male

Loc: Northern NSW Orstrayllya Flag
    #13182340 - 09/11/10 10:22 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

My absolute favourites for both the kings and shitakes are to lightly brown sliced mushrooms in sesame oil and butter with some cracked pepper and salt.

Then add them to a strong clear homemade chicken broth with some sliced chicken meat, couple of big prawns, ginger, chilli, char sui sauce for sweetness and sliced shallotts. Simmer for 1 minute till prawns have just turned slight pink but are still not quite cooked (they'll continue cooking as they cool in the broth).

Put some pickled ginger, some parsley, some green onion and some soy sauce in a bowl and pour the soup over.....

Kim Chee is also a great addition.

Even tops for breakfast.:thumbup:

Bestest ever way i've eaten mushroom and i've tried a lot of ways.

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomshire Flag
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: punkin]
    #13183470 - 09/12/10 08:12 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:popcorn:

I think it would be cool if someone searched the forums for recipes and posted their findings in here.

Edited by Base Icks (09/12/10 09:06 AM)

InvisibleTangich

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Base Icks]
    #13183959 - 09/12/10 11:10 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Beef and mushroom goulash

500g lean beef, cut in small cubes
500g mixed mushrooms, cut into small slices
a handfull of dry boletes
two large onions
two large carrots
two fresh chilly peppers (depends on your preference, I use cayenne, you can use something more or less spicy)
3 dl red wine
350 ml of tomato sauce
3 table spoons of flour
salt, pepper
sunflower oil

Put the onions, carrots and peppers through a food processor. Heat the oil in a large pot (5+ liters is best), put in the onions, carrots and peppers. Leave them for 10 minutes, constantly stirring. Then put in the meat, saute for 20 minutes or until  all liquid evaporates. Add half of the wine, saute until it evaporates, then add mushrooms. Again, until all liquid evaporates. When it becomes fairly dry, add the flour, stir fast, let it blend into the mixture, then add the tomato sauce, rest of the wine and 1 liter of water. Crush the boletes in your hand and put them in. Put the lid loosely on, and cook for an hour and a half on low to medium heat stirring occasionally. After enough time has passed, try the meat to see if it's cooked, add salt, pepper, tabasco,  parsley, depending on your taste. You can always add more water or flour if you think it's too dry/runny.
You can also make it without meat, just with mushrooms, but then it's best to substitute the water with beef broth.
This dish can be served with pasta, fresh bread or mashed potato. This is one of my absolute favorites, to eat and to make! I hope you enjoy it!

I'll also put an amazing chantarelle casarolle when I find the recipe.

Amazing thread by the way! :super:

Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

Loc: In the moment
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Tangich]
    #13184102 - 09/12/10 11:52 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Spicy Battered Mushrooms with Ranch Dipping Sauce

1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fajita seasoning, Southwestern seasoning, or Old Bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
4 cups vegetable oil
10 ounces shiitake or oyster mushrooms, stems removed

In a small bowl, combine flour, backing soda and seasoning.

In another small bowl stir together the egg and buttermilk using a fork.

Stir the two mixtures until combined.

In a 2-quart saucepan, heat oil to about 350F or until small bubbles form around bits of the batter when dropped into hot oil.

Using tongs, dip mushroom caps in the batter to cover and place mushroom into hot oil.

Fry mushrooms until they're a golden brown.

Remove and serve with Ranch Dipping Sauce.

Serves 4 to 6.

Ranch Dipping Sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon fajita seasoning, Southwestern seasoning, or Old Bay seasoning
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and serve with battered mushrooms.

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek
The Story Of Russell The Texas (Cube) Bear

The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
-Arnold J. Toynbee

Invisiblejokefox
Top of the chain
Male User Gallery

Loc: never where I should be
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: nexus1946]
    #13189761 - 09/13/10 02:43 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

deep fried mushrooms the stoner way

make some pancake batter mix , as the side of the box will tell you how

cover your mushroom with some flour , dip in the batter mix, then roll into crushed up ritz crackers
and deep dry, also very good with onions , who doesent love onion rings or anything deep fried for that matter

Offlineflugelizor
Furious ball of nothing
Male User Gallery

Loc: Western NY
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: jokefox] * 1
    #13196031 - 09/14/10 07:05 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

This one is awesome.
I've cooked mushrooms lots of different ways, and IMHO I've never topped this flavor combination for buttons, oysters, shiitakes...

1 lb mushrooms chopped or whole
1 small roughly chopped onion
juice of 1/2 lemon
3 tbsp butter
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tbsp Frank's Red Hot sauce
1 tsp each dried oregano, thyme, and  basil

Mix it all up and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes or until liquid is reduced by 1/2.

Edited by flugelizor (09/14/10 07:10 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: flugelizor]
    #13196146 - 09/14/10 07:26 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds good.  I'm assuming you then mix the mushrooms into your favorite dish?  At least that's what I'd do.  I don't care much for mushrooms by themselves, but in a dish they're great.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlineflugelizor
Furious ball of nothing
Male User Gallery

#13196186 - 09/14/10 07:34 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

You could do that. or over rice.
Try whole buttons as an appetizer or side dish.
I have done them with toothpicks at a buffet or cocktail party.

InvisibleTangich

Folding@home Statistics
    #13197977 - 09/15/10 06:17 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Great recipe, flugelizor! :super:
Just as a suggestion, you could try adding some tomato sauce OR sour cream and cheese if you like, it gives it "fullness", with tomato sauce it goes great with beef, rice or pasta, and with cream it's best with chicken, pasta or by itself.

OfflineNaz
Fungal Infection
 User Gallery

#13250115 - 09/26/10 04:49 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I have a big family so I always have to make bulk meals. the best one i make is stroganoff...a cple nights before I make a roast in my pc...cook it for two hrs at 10 psi...falleyaparty is the best word to descibe the roast. no pc do up in a crock for 2 hrs on high and 6-8 hrs on low. have roast meal season however you like..cant go wrong in a crock.

cple days later use left over roast for stroganoff....my step daughter loves the stuff! make it with dbl the sour cream (even tho sour cream by itself makes her gag and complain) she will eat more then me! on that note i tried to make stroganoff with beef tips like your sposed to...and no one liked it...not even my old lady... the power of a pc...dont know how i lived without it

anybody else like left over turkey spaghetti?...replace burger with leftover turkey...fucken NOM NOM NOM

point of my story...made up some sautee cubes and tossed em into my stroganoff...buttons for the family of course....all i can say is YUMMY!!!!WOAH!!

Edited by Naz (09/26/10 04:52 PM)

OfflineCulland
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Naz]
    #13278631 - 10/02/10 07:21 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

As a video suggestion I know the thing I would love to see is someone showing how to cook boletes. I have tried them a number of times and just find them a slimy, tasteless mess and always assumed I am preparing them wrong.

Cul

InvisibleTangich

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Culland]
    #13278663 - 10/02/10 07:34 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

That's the main problem with boletes, especially older ones. IME the best thing you can do is dry them, that way they loose the sliminess, but retain their aroma. I personally like the taste of dry ones much better than fresh. Reconstitute them in warm water and use in any dish. Ofcourse, it's quite a bit of work slicing and drying them, I colected about 40 pounds this year and it's pretty much all I've been doing for the past week. But belive me, it's worth it, they can last for several years if stored properly (in an air tight glass jar).

InvisibleMonkeyKnifeFight
Stranger
 User Gallery

#13339654 - 10/15/10 10:46 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Hey guys I was going over to my neighbor's house the other day and had some hericium ready to harvest so I wanted something simple to highlight the flavor.  This is what I did:

1 egg
2 tbs milk (I used soy milk)
1 puffball of hericium
wheat germ (could also use bread crumbs)
oil for frying

I mixed the egg and milk in a bowl.  Poured some what germ into a plastic bag.  Heated up a bunch of oil in a cast iron(optional) pan for frying.  You want the oil pretty damn hot so you don't end up with greasy shrooms but not so hot you completely destroy them.  Then I simply spliced the hericium up, dipped the pieces in the batter mix and threw them in with the wheat germ to cover them.  Then you want to fry them for a VERY SHORT amount of time.  I did less than a minute then flipped and did another 30 seconds or so.  The minute you walk away to do something else while they're cooking you've already lost :wink:

These were really delicious fresh out of the pan.  Highlighted the mushroom flavor well especially the chunks that were a bit meatier.  Of course as they cooled they got a little less awesome as fried treats tend to.

OfflineWirenut
Captivity
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Gulf Coast Flag
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: MonkeyKnifeFight]
    #13341475 - 10/15/10 07:24 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Mushroom Baked Potato

4 potatos
12 oz Pepper Bacon - diced into lardons (from your butcher)
10-16 oz Mushrooms (you pickem)
1/4 cup of brandy
1 cup organic heavy cream
1 tsp cornstarch to thicken
Butter for potatoes

Get your potatoes baking in foil (you can rinse, rub with olive oil and coarse kosher salt if you want).. lightly brown the bacon, add mushrooms into the bacon and grease and sautee.. once they're cooked right, take them off the heat and LET IT COOL DOWN a few minutes.. add brandy and light it on fire!  If too hot, the brandy will bubble in the grease and infuse throughout the sauce.. you'll also have nothing to light on fire!  (And it won't come out right - use a grill lighter be safe).. once the fire dies out, add a cup of heavy cream and stir.. teaspoon of cornstarch and stir (alternatively you can slurry up the cornstarch in a tbsp of water and then add).. then return to heat on med-low to low.. you don't want to let it boil but you want it to cook through and thicken so watch it..

Now the sauce is done, bust your potatoes open and stuff em with butter, then pour evenly into your potatoes..

Note:  my butchers pepper bacon is really peppery.. if you can't find this or could do without the kick (which compliments the potato imo) then use regular bacon and add a tbsp of drenched green peppercorns..

The way I've described however is the best baked potato I've ever eaten and a regular meal around here.. the way the mushrooms play with the bacon and peppercorn sauce is absolutely divine...

Anyway, I'm gettin' choked up here.. enjoy!

Offlineholistic
Stranger
Loc: southern california
    #13349975 - 10/17/10 08:40 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like a good recipe as I just got me some Reishi's and Shiitake Mushrooms.  I'm not sure if i'm supposed to referigerate them or not?  I also have used the shiitake on salads with olive oil and vinegar and they are pretty good like that.

--------------------
Jay Cruise Holistic Practitioner

Offlinetotal
Post Office Tyvek Advocator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: holistic]
    #13350461 - 10/17/10 11:05 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

:nothingtoadd:
Nothing yet...ill get my girl on a recipe...

OfflineWirenut
Captivity
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: total]
    #13350888 - 10/18/10 01:51 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

total said:
Nothing yet...ill get my girl on a recipe...

Pussy :wink:

InvisibleFernandoCastro
Deus Impeditio Esuritori Nullus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Portugal Flag
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Wirenut]
    #13351731 - 10/18/10 10:31 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

A classic recipe: Beef Wellington
Tested and fully approved (I did this with diced and sauteed oysters instead)

It´s easier and lazier learning from the video.
Try with salmon (and skip the bacon/ham coating) as alternative.

Enjoy

--------------------
www.cogusbox.com

OfflineWirenut
Captivity
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: FernandoCastro]
    #13352423 - 10/18/10 01:05 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Wow that was awesome.. it was like a mushroom pancake next to the beef surrounded by prosciutto and a puff pastry.. Gordon Ramsey rocks.

InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #13356266 - 10/19/10 09:10 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

First installment of Cooking With EvilMushroom!

Mushroom Stuffed Meatloaf

This article is also located in my journal if you have
questions or comments, ENJOY!
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13356260

This past Sunday I got into the kitchen to prepare dinner for
the family. Being Bemushroomed as I am you know the main ingredient!
You can substitute to your taste, use different mushrooms do
whatever you need to do to make this dish your own. Hope you
all enjoy, I know my family did!
*The pictures below are of a DOUBLED batch, when frozen will keep
for upto a month!

Ingredient List

Filing-----
  • Hard margarine ( or butter)    1 tbsp. / 15ML
  • Chopped Fresh Button Mushroom    3 Cups / 750ML
  • Chopped Onion    1 Cup / 250ML
  • All purpose flour    3 tbsp. / 50ML
  • Dried thyme    1/2 tsp. / 2ML
  • Salt    1/2 tsp. / 2ML
  • Pepper    1/4 tsp. / 1ML
  • Light Cream Cheese    4Oz. / 125G
  • Organic Garlic    1 tsp. / 4ML

Meat Layer------

• Large egg, fork beaten    1
  • Fine dry bread crumbs    2/3 Cup / 150ML
  • Milk    1/4 Cup / 60ML
  • Soy Sauce    3 tbsp. / 50ML
  • Worchestershire sauce    1/2 tsp. / 2ML
  • Garlic Powder    1/4 tsp. / 1ML
  • Lean ground beef    1 1/2 lbs. / 680G

Preparing Meat:
Add ingredients in a large mixing bowl

Mix well with clean hands

Press about 2/3 of the beef mixture into the bottom 2 inches
and up the sides of a greased loaf pan.

Preparing Filling:

Melt margarine(butter) in large frying pan on medium high.
Add mushrooms, onions and organic garlic.Cook for about 10
minutes, stirring often until onion is soft and water from the
mushrooms is evaporated.

Once liquid is evaporated reduce heat to medium and add the
next four ingredients. Stir until combined. Add cream cheese.
Heat and stir until melted.

Next spoon filling into cavity in your pans as shown below

Take remaining meat and shape to fit the loaf pan. Place on top
smoothing and sealing sides and PRESTO!

Bake in oven, uncovered at 325F(160C) for about an hour until
fully cooked and an internal temp of 160F is reached. Serves 6.

While your meatloaf is cooking be sure to start preparing your
sides so it all comes together! We choose wild mushrooms rice,
along with sauteed mushrooms, garlic and onion.

Edited by EvilMushroom666 (10/19/10 09:13 AM)

OfflineWirenut
Captivity
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: EvilMushroom666]
    #13356624 - 10/19/10 10:32 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Excellent!  We make a mushroom meatloaf but don't stuff it...
I will definitely be circulating this one and Mrs. Rabbit's Stroganoff through my kitchen..
Have you considered using cast iron? IME it seals the juices in better than glass..

Just a suggestion.. Cool creation! :thumbup:

InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #13356664 - 10/19/10 10:38 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the suggestion friend, I do not currently
own any cast iron cookware but something to think of for
the future for sure. Circulate it around, change it, spin it,
make it your own dish! That is half the fun of cooking for sure.
I plan to post a few more dish's over the next few weeks.

Cooking has always been a passion of mine, now add it with my
other addiction...err I mean hobby and you got cooking with mushrooms!
Gotta love it!

OfflineWirenut
Captivity
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13357173 - 10/19/10 12:24 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I love cooking... just got done grocery shopping haha!
Well the reason is that glass is an insulator, so it'll get the job done for caserroles, but it won't give you a sear on the outside which will lock in the juices, much like cooking burgers and steaks..
Cast iron, if cared for properly, distributes the heat nice and evenly and has the best non-stick qualities... and it lasts forever (I have one of my great-grandmother's skillets).. Just a tip from my family to yours! :smile: 

I feel like this is gonna be a great thread... :rockon:

InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #13357244 - 10/19/10 12:39 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I appreciate the tip, and will keep an eye out for cast iron
cookware. I also feel this thread is destined for greatness.
I know that I plan to do a write up/pictorial bi-weekly roughly.
Next week I think me and my girlfriend will prepare Marinated
button mushrooms. Makes for a great appetizer/ finger food. I
do not try to stick to the common button mushroom but until I
get my edible grows setup for the winter(Comes after I get my
flow hood assembled) I shall stick to what is fresh. The selection
of exotic mushrooms around my area is good, shame that the quality
is not.

I look forward to many Shiitake grows and many Shiitake laced
dish's.
Take Care!

Invisibleriverdweller
Misanthropic Voyeur
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA Flag
Lobster Spinach Quiche [Re: RogerRabbit] * 1
    #13430478 - 11/03/10 06:27 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I recently harvested quite a bit of Hypomyces lactifluorum and enjoyed this compilation of recipes for quiche.  We love this time of year in our family!  This one is good for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

2 cups of lobster mushroom, cubed to preference.
1 small red pepper
1 green bell pepper diced
1 small red onion diced
1 large clove garlic thinly sliced
4-6 slices of bacon, fried and crumbled
5-7 oz of fresh spinach
1 cup heavy cream
4-5 eggs
1/2 to 1 cup your choice shredded cheese (I like blues and pepper jacks)
1 dash of crisp to dry white wine, pinot grigio perhaps
1 large goblet of said white wine, refillable preferably :heart:
1 pie crust of your making or pre-made, baked for 15 minutes @ 350
9 inch or larger pie pan
Pre-heated oven 350 degrees
Chop mushrooms to preference.  Warm 1 cup heavy cream on stove until just before boil, pouring over mushrooms and setting aside for at least one hour.
Fry bacon until crisp.  Reserving two tablespoons of drippings, set bacon aside and discard grease.
Return reserved drippings to medium high heat, add chopped onion, red and green pepper, and garlic and allow to brown on one side without stirring.  Add white wine enough to coat but not stand in pan.  Stir to allow browning on other side and let rest caramelizing for another 3 minutes.  Adjust your heat to allow caramelizing in the least amount of time.
Add spinach to onions and pepper and stir until the spinach is coated and mixed well.  Immediately remove from heat and stir well so that spinach is well coated with hot ingredients so that it will cook lightly. 
Add eggs to cream and mushrooms, stirring until well fluffed.  Add to spinach mixture, stirring until the spinach is dispersed evenly. 
Pour into prebaked pie shell.  Place in preheated oven ro 25-30 minutes and then turn oven off, WITHOUT opening the door for another 20-30 minutes.
Cover top with shredded cheese and return to the oven, on broil, until cheese bubbles and darkens around the edges.
Give your sweety a kiss and a glass of wine with a generous slice of quiche Lobster!
Happy day to you all!

--------------------
I'm still here  :wink:

Invisiblebadman
Male User Gallery

Re: Lobster Spinach Quiche [Re: riverdweller]
    #13488649 - 11/15/10 04:55 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Heres a simple one and makes a great snack in less that 15 mins, mushroom and sausage sandwich.

Get a frying pan on medium heat, add a touch of oil and place GOOD QUALITY sausages in 2 per person.
Feel free the bang in a few fresh bay leaves and sage.
Add finely sliced red onion when sausages are part cooked.

Slice some mushrooms 4-5 nice ones per person and place in a bowl.
A good pinch of powdered rosemary per person and a good lug of olive oil.
Add salt and pepper, and mix well.
Cook mushrooms in another pan when nearly done cook garlic in melted frothy butter and mix in.
Get two thick slices of bread, I like brown, and get some toast on the go.

Now build the sandwich like below.

Bread
Butter
Mushrooms
Red onion
HPs Brown sauce
Halved sausages
Colemans mustard
Butter
Bread

Smoked bacon can be added if youre really hungry.

Colmans mustard and Brown sauce are a must it tastes a bit off with ketchup.

InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Lobster Spinach Quiche [Re: badman]
    #13488713 - 11/15/10 05:08 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I never saw brown sauce in my 23 years in the states. Steak sauce is the closest thing I can think of.

Maybe mixing Worcestershire sauce with ketchup might work too. I'm not sure.

Invisiblebadman
Male User Gallery

Re: Lobster Spinach Quiche [Re: Base Icks]
    #13488770 - 11/15/10 05:19 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

:awesurprise:

Well if you say steak sauce I'll take your word for it
Quote:

Base

Icks said:

Maybe mixing Worcestershire sauce with ketchup might work too. I'm not sure.

I like!

Do you get Lea and perrins over there?

InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Lobster Spinach Quiche [Re: badman]
    #13488788 - 11/15/10 05:22 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, but its not quite the same.

Quote from wikipedia,
Quote:

North America
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce sold in the USA differs from the British recipe. Its ingredients are listed as: vinegar, molasses, high fructose corn syrup, anchovies, water, onions, salt, garlic, tamarind concentrate, cloves, natural flavourings and chili pepper extract. The main differences are the use of distilled white vinegar in place of malt vinegar, and high fructose corn syrup in place of sugar. Nonetheless, the American version tastes almost exactly the same as the British recipe, although some people claim the American version is slightly sweeter, less spicy, and has less depth.[who?] A thicker variety is also sold for the American market. The American version is packaged differently from the British version, coming in a dark bottle with a beige label and wrapped in paper. Lea & Perrins USA claims that this practice is a vestige of shipping practices from the 19th century when the product was imported from England as a measure of protection for the bottles.[11]
In Canada, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce is identical to the standard British version. It is imported from England and sports the same bottle. The label is similar to the British version, but modified to include French text.

Invisiblebadman
Male User Gallery

Re: Lobster Spinach Quiche [Re: Base Icks]
    #13488825 - 11/15/10 05:30 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting.

OfflineeVenom
DRIFT on toBATTLE
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: badman]
    #13533115 - 11/23/10 11:13 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I usually make this large batch and then separate it in 1/2cup servings and Freeze sometimes even smaller since this is potent stuff.

I don't know the name of this but I use it in almost everything!

Mushroom ???? (stuffing, saute, Please help me with the name!)
10cups Finely chopped Mushrooms (about 2.25lbs)
3cups finely chopped onions(I like yellow)
12tbsp Butter
1tsp Salt
1tsp Sugar
2tsp Soy Sauce
a few grinds of pepper

Butter into a big skillet on medium heat.
Cook onions until translucent and beginning to brown.
Add Mushrooms, Salt, Soy Sauce and Pepper.
cook down until all the water is evaporated.
(Yields about 5cups)

The first thing that I do with this is mix 1/2cups of the mixture with 1stick of softened butter to make a "Mushroom Butter" that is great on everything from potatoes, corn, toast, pasta, eggs...

Then I use the rest for everything from stuffing chicken breast, ravioli , puff pastry, Ice Cream(J/k) to sauces, baking bread and of course making more of the Mushroom Butter

--------------------
eVenom

"Some of us like a nice buzz, while others want to climb a screaming volcano naked to meet god."
RR

OfflineWirenut
Captivity
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: eVenom]
    #13534067 - 11/24/10 07:30 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Cool!  Mushroom Soffritto!

Offlineflugelizor
Furious ball of nothing
Male User Gallery

#13536879 - 11/24/10 06:35 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Duxelle?

OfflineeVenom
DRIFT on toBATTLE
Male User Gallery

#13542022 - 11/25/10 10:56 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I like the name Mushroom Sofrito!

--------------------
eVenom

"Some of us like a nice buzz, while others want to climb a screaming volcano naked to meet god."
RR

Offlinepunkin
Friend of a Friend Who seems OK
Male

Loc: Northern NSW Orstrayllya Flag
    #13543292 - 11/26/10 09:20 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Had a great meal the other night.

Took some small vegetables, baby carrotts, celery batons, potatoe batons, baby corn and simmered them in chicken stock, sliced ginger and a couple of Kaffir lime leaves for 8 mins with some sliced Shitake.

Grilled some asparagus in sesame oil.

Then laid some Snapper fillets in the chicken stock and simmered until JUST (not quite) cooked in the middle. Laid a base of the warm veges, a fillet of snapper and ladled a little stock over to moisten and form a very short light soup, placed asparagus on top and added cracked pepper...
:crazy2:

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: punkin]
    #13543563 - 11/26/10 11:05 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

This is the gravy I made this year for Thanksgiving.  I used a little butter but it could easily be fat free and not really suffer taste wise.

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
~4 cups veggie stock
1/2 cup wine/sherry etc... *Optional
2T soy sauce (I use Bragg's liquid amino)
Liquid smoke *Optional
Ton of mushrooms
3T butter *Optional

Heat a pan over medium high heat and add the flour and nutritional yeast.  Mix continually until the mix gets a little brown and gives off a nice aroma.  Remove from heat and slowly stir in veggie stock and wine/sherry making sure to mix out all clumps.  Add the soy sauce and a TINY drop of liquid smoke.  Return to low/medium heat once all stock is mixed in.

For mushrooms I used as many as I could.  I got a bunch of shiitakes from the farmer's market, had some dried porcinis, and used oysters, king oysters, enoki, and black poplar from my own grows.  I simply sliced the mushrooms pretty thin and then dry sauteed them for 10 or so minutes until most of the water had cooked out.  At this point you can simple add the mushrooms to the gravy mixture and simmer things for a little bit.  If you want a richer flavor you can add the butter and let the mushrooms cook a little longer.  I also deglazed the mushroom saute with some wine when things started to stick a little.  I may have also added some salt at some point.

Once you mix the mushrooms with the gravy you can simmer a little while if you want things to thicken a little more.  If you use dried mushrooms like porcini then you should replace some of the veggie stock with the soaking water.  Pretty easy and nice rich flavor with very little or no fat necessary.

Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

#13585845 - 12/05/10 02:01 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Mushroom Strudel

Shows a mushroom farm and then how to make a Strudel using various wild mushrooms.

I'm gonna' have to try this one this coming season.

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek

The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
-Arnold J. Toynbee

InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: nexus1946]
    #13603880 - 12/08/10 09:07 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

EvilMushrooms CampBell's Soup

While I like campbells cream of mushroom soup one issue I do have with
it is that there are NEVER enough mushrooms. Here is a simple tweak I
do on a regular basis to make campbells soup my own:

This is not so much cooking I realize this, but for me its a quick
easy way to spice up boring old campbell's soup.

Material:
Campbells cream of mushroom soup
0.5-1 lb of your mushroom of choice
Butter
Organic Garlic(Cloves, powder, minced)
Tyme
Hot Sauce * Optional

I fry the mushrooms in butter and minced organic garlic until they
are just about fully cooked before adding the hot sauce. If you do
not like spice use something milder like a franks red hot sauce and
use sparingly or not at all.

After adding the hot sauce give it a good stir and then place your
soup(Plus 1/2 can water 1/2 can milk) on the stove and begin to warm
it up. Once the soup is warm and your mushrooms are cooked add
mushrooms to soup as desired.

Pour into 1-2 bowls, season to taste(Tyme+Louisiana style hot sauce)
and enjoy!

NOTE-
I have a killer recipe for a homemade cream of mushrooms soup. Next
time I make it I will post it up here for you guys.

OfflineWirenut
Captivity
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13603927 - 12/08/10 09:13 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Pour that over meatballs in a crockpot and you got yourself a winner :wink:

InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #13603933 - 12/08/10 09:14 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Holy shiitake I think your right Wirenut! Great Idea!

Invisiblesnuffedout

Loc: Earth
    #13638411 - 12/15/10 06:31 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Try this....or not
Take your favorite mushroom.  Put a small amount of butter (Or olive oil) inside the cap.  Then, stuff the cap with already cooked Venison (Preferablly the backstrap or tenderloin). Sprinkle on your favorite seasoning. I prefer just salt and pepper. Add some shredded colby & monterey jack cheese or motzerella.  Make a favorite sauce to dip in. I prefer home made marinara!
Heat a Pan on medium heat. Pour canola oil 1/8 of inch deep in pan. Fry for a few minutes then put lid on to melt cheese. When cheese is melted, then your finished!  I find this to be pretty tasty, but I also like venison.
You could even bread the mushroom using a favorite wash and breading.

OfflineHunter S. Gathers
Stranger

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: snuffedout]
    #13670662 - 12/22/10 01:20 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

We tried these over the weekend with white and golden chanterelles and hedgehogs...its definitely a winner

Cindy Pawlcyn's Wild Mushroom Burgers

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Hunter S. Gathers]
    #13676465 - 12/23/10 05:17 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Anyone got any good recipes specifically for Shaggy Manes? I've been finding em all over my neighborhood lately.

Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Ran-D]
    #13677794 - 12/23/10 10:51 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ran-D said:
Anyone got any good recipes specifically for Shaggy Manes? I've been finding em all over my neighborhood lately.

I fry them till golden brown in oil, butter, with garlic and a little oregano.

One of my favourite mushrooms to eat. :drooling:

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek

-Arnold J. Toynbee

InvisibleShot.In.Orbit
Stranger Danger!
Male

#13708184 - 12/30/10 08:25 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Hey RR I will contribute here.

I love grilling. but my wife is vegetarian (not the horrible who the hell did I marry because the days of eating things that use to be alive is over type vegetarian (not Vegetarian that's Vegan). But ovolacto vegetarian... Meaning she eats animal byproducts but animals. i.e. she will eat cheese, drink milk, and have eggs.)

And I will tell you that these burgers rock!

I am not going to blow smoke up your ass and say... It tastes just like meat!!! because thats bullshit. But they taste OUTSTANDING. They taste like a badass hamburger. But let someone know they are eating a veggie burger before the bite it because they will expect one thing and get another and that can make someone not give it a fair rating...

I will shut up and give you your awesome burger recipe now.

KICK ASS MUSHROOM BURGER RECIPE!!!
(combination of crimini, shiitake, and Portobello... you can find all of them at your local whole foods store or regular grocery now-a-days... but this is the shroomery... grow your own!!!)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Makes 4 Mushroom Veggie Burgers

Ingredients:

3 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 lb mushrooms, roughly chopped (combination of crimini, shiitake, and Portobello)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
6 cloves minced garlic
2/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, or 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Preparation:

Heat 1 tbsp oil in large saucepan. Saute the mushrooms, onions and garlic over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the liquid boils off, and the mushrooms begin to saute.

In large bowl, add mushroom mixture to oats, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, eggs, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well. Allow to sit for 15 minutes to develop the flavors. Shape into patties. Heat 2 tbsp oil in large non-stick skillet, over medium heat. Fry patties, cooking about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.

Serve with your favorite burger toppings.

InvisibleShot.In.Orbit
Stranger Danger!
Male

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Shot.In.Orbit]
    #13723219 - 01/03/11 01:45 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

*Bump*

I want to see more recipe's :yesnod:

OfflinerunMD
Face Thoroughly Palmed

Loc: South Park County, CO
    #13723243 - 01/03/11 01:55 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I really like this quesadilla recipe. Make it all the time because I always tend to have these ingredients on hand. It is really easy.
Credit to early morning food network during my exercises.

Easy Chicken-Mushroom Quesadillas

Ingredients
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
8 ounces white button mushrooms, (about 3 cups)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cooked chopped skinless, boneless chicken breast (1 breast half)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups baby spinach leaves, sliced into ribbons
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
4 (10-inch) whole-grain flour tortillas
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese mix or Cheddar
1/2 cup salsa
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
Directions
Heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushroom water is evaporated and they begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add chicken, cumin, chili powder and oregano and stir until all spices are incorporated. Add spinach, salt and pepper and cook until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.

Lay 1 tortilla on a flat work surface and sprinkle with 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Spoon 1/2 chicken and vegetable mixture on top of cheese, then top with an additional 1/4 cup cheese. Top with another flour tortilla. Heat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray over medium heat. Carefully place 1 quesadilla in pan and cook 3 minutes. Using a large spatula, gently flip quesadilla and cook an additional 3 minutes until lightly browned and cheese is melted. Repeat with second quesadilla. Slice each quesadilla into quarters. Place 2 quarters on a plate with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 2 tablespoons salsa.

--------------------
"Are you high or just stupid?"   
"I assure you, I am NOT high"

::All my posts are fabrications or observed accounts of other people's experiences. All cultivation is for the growth of legal and edible gourmet mushrooms.::
Not A Medical Doctor.
Elementary Coir Tek
Damion's Favorite Links, I love em.

Study Them. Experience Them.Learn from Them. Respect Them.

OfflineEntWife
Stranger
Female

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: runMD]
    #13733897 - 01/05/11 05:49 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Hey all, been lurking here for a while and finally decided to register and make myself known. I absolutely love this recipe and can probably eat it every week. So I thought i would be nice and share.

Mushroom Pie

pastry:
2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
cold water

filling:
3 medium onions,i use walla wallas but use what you like
5 Tblspn butter
1 1/2 lbs. of your favourite mushrooms
1 bay leaf
4 Tblspn flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup diced potatoes, cooked
2 1/2 Tblspn chopped parsly
salt & pepper to taste

~sift together the flour and salt. rub in the butter until it resembles fine bread crumbs. add enough cold water until you get a firm dough, then chill for half an hour.roll out dough and line a 9" pie tin. bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. meanwhile saute the onions in half the amount of butter until transparent. slice the mushrooms and add to the onions and cook with a bay leaf for 5 minutes. strain and save the liquid.melt the remaining butter and stir in the flour. cook for one minute over low heat.slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. add the reserved liquid and stir until smooth and thick.season to taste. add the mushrooms,onions, and potato. heat thoroughly. pour into the prepared pastry, top with chopped parsley, and roll out remaining dough to cover pie. prick a few holes to allow steam to escape. bake at 400 degrees for 45 mminutes, and enjoy!

OfflineeVenom
DRIFT on toBATTLE
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: EntWife]
    #13738641 - 01/05/11 11:24 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

That is one recipe I need to try!

--------------------
eVenom

RR

InvisibleShot.In.Orbit
Stranger Danger!
Male

#13740405 - 01/06/11 10:44 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Mushroom Pie... It just don't sound right... lol I wanna try it.

OfflineNucleus
 User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Shot.In.Orbit]
    #13832853 - 01/22/11 06:00 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Shiitake mushroom soup w/Japanese wheat noodle.

Ingredients

1 T  Coconut oil
1 T  Sesame oil
1    Large white onion
1 T Chopped garlic
1 T Chopped ginger
3/4 Pound of shiitake cubed.
3    Carrots slivered
1T  Salt
1 t  Chopped garlic
8 C water
1 T Shoyu or tamari
1 t  pepper
2    Bundles or Japanese ried wheat noodles
1 T Dulse
Italian parsley

1. Gather and prep ingredients
2. Heat to medium heat and add oils
3. Add onions and cook until just about to go transparent
4. Add shiitake and cook for 2 min
5. Add carrots
6. Close lid and wait for the carrots to soften until they are firm but not snappy
7. Add salt and mix
8. Add water and bring to a boil
9. Add pepper and shoyu
10. Snap noodles into 3rds and add
11. cook for 4 min and then add dulse for another 1 min
12. Add parsley
13. Turn the heat off
14. Let the soup cool for 5 min and then you can serve.

Invisiblejokefox
Top of the chain
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Nucleus]
    #13832884 - 01/22/11 06:07 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

you guys are about to be mind fucked

Carmel popcorn , my dear old grannies recipe

1/2 cup of corn syrup
1  cup of margarine/butter
2  cups of brown sugar
6  quarts popcorn

and a teaspoon of baking soda

pop popcorn

mix , corn syrup and margarine and brown sugar in a small pot
cook on low (4) , let come to a boil , and stir everyonce in a while

let boil for 4 minutes, take off heat then add baking soda

keep mixing tell it fluffs up and changes color , then add over popcorn

optional ideas,
-put on a baking sheet and throw in the oven at 275f for a few minutes
-add nuts or fruits, be creative , i love cereal in it ,
- half the recipe and use for microwave popcorn ,perfect for movie time with your other half <3

InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: jokefox]
    #13833042 - 01/22/11 06:33 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Wheres the :growmushroom:

Offlinetotal
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #13833691 - 01/22/11 08:26 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Base Icks said:
Wheres the :growmushroom:

I think jokefox missed the point of this thread...:facepalm:
None-the-less, homemade Carmel popcorn sounds good!

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Post your recipes here.  Any recipe with mushrooms in it qualifies.  They don't even have to be the main ingredient.

Invisiblejokefox
Top of the chain
Male User Gallery

#13834093 - 01/22/11 09:33 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

you need a dessert boys
put stones in it

Offlinetotal
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #13834128 - 01/22/11 09:40 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

:awesomenod:

lol

InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13837132 - 01/23/11 02:23 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I'm good for stones thanks. I ate 50g last weekend and it :feelsbadman:

Not eating em for a while I'll tell ya that.

Back on topic.

So far I have not gone wrong sautéing onions garlic and mushrooms together and adding it to what I'm eating.

My favorite is adding bacon to the mix and then addint it all to freshly steamed green beans. Yum. :chew:

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Cultivator
    #13839221 - 01/23/11 08:58 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jokefox said:
you guys are about to be mind fucked

Carmel popcorn , my dear old grannies recipe

1/2 cup of corn syrup
1  cup of margarine/butter
2  cups of brown sugar
6  quarts popcorn

and a teaspoon of baking soda

pop popcorn

mix , corn syrup and margarine and brown sugar in a small pot
cook on low (4) , let come to a boil , and stir everyonce in a while

let boil for 4 minutes, take off heat then add baking soda

keep mixing tell it fluffs up and changes color , then add over popcorn

optional ideas,
-put on a baking sheet and throw in the oven at 275f for a few minutes
-add nuts or fruits, be creative , i love cereal in it ,
- half the recipe and use for microwave popcorn ,perfect for movie time with your other half <3

add a teaspoon of powdered candy caps

OfflineeVenom
DRIFT on toBATTLE
Male User Gallery

#13844231 - 01/24/11 07:59 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Base Icks said:
I ate 50g last weekend and it :feelsbadman:

50g on one GO?

that is crazy!

how long do you let your stones grow?

--------------------
eVenom

RR

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #13856300 - 01/26/11 08:02 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

eVenom said:
Quote:

Base Icks said:
I ate 50g last weekend and it :feelsbadman:

50g on one GO?

that is crazy!

how long do you let your stones grow?

Sorry to hear this bud!

I am ambivalent, as I have a jar that is coming up on four months
and has to be opened soon....so I have to ask what happened too.

If you would prefer to PM me, then please do.

Take care,

JD

--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

Edited by Javadog (01/26/11 08:03 PM)

InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Javadog]
    #13862122 - 01/27/11 07:12 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #13862359 - 01/27/11 07:47 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I remember now....I commiserated at the time.

I did not recall that that was a sclerotia caused event.

Hmmm......well, I am glad that you weathered the storm.

Take care,

JD

--------------------

Myco-tek.org

OfflineBlueGrower
Stranger
Male

#14099079 - 03/10/11 04:49 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

This is a simple recipe very typical in Spain made out of Níscalos (Lactarius deliciosus). Wikipedia says in english they are called Saffron milk cap or Red pine mushroom.

Just get the small fellows (so they can be taken with the hand and eaten in one byte)
cut part of the stem
place them upside down in oven paper
spread chopped up garlic and parsley over the shrooms
pour some olive oil (extra virgin best) and salt
put in the oven
Leave in the oven for 15 minutes. Every 5 minutes open the oven and spoon the juice that the shrooms sweat to the oven paper on top of the shrooms.

It´s also typical to add some "jamón Ibérico", maybe the caviar of spanish products.

--------------------
http://bluegrowers.wordpress.com

Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: BlueGrower]
    #14103311 - 03/11/11 10:34 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Holy crap BlueGrower those look awesome.  And a simple recipe.  I'm definitely going to have to give that a shot when i have an appropriate batch of shrooms to try it on.

InvisibleFernandoCastro
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: MonkeyKnifeFight] * 1
    #14135754 - 03/17/11 08:49 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Mushroom gnocchi

How to make gnocchi

Usually, I use this as garnish to duck breast; but it provides a great meal just for itself

--------------------
www.cogusbox.com

InvisibleFernandoCastro
Male User Gallery

#14135918 - 03/17/11 09:41 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Porcini Risotto

Ingredients:
  • 250g of Carnaroli or Arborio rice
  • 1l of vegetable or chicken stock (I usually add some dried mushrooms for extra flavor)
  • 1 onion
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 300g of mushrooms
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp dry whit wine
  • Parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 tsp butter
  • fresh parsley

Preparation:
  • Saute the mushrooms in a little oil and butter, salt and      pepper. Reserve
  • Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil.
  • Add the rice and until translucent. 
  • By then add the wine and let the alcohol evaporate. 
  • Add some broth and stir.
  • When the broth has evaporated, add a little more until evaporates again, always storing without letting the rice completely dry.
  • When the rice is half cooked add 2/3 of the mushrooms.
  • Repeat the process until the rice is cooked (al dente).
  • Off the stove, then add the butter and the cheese involving.
  • Serve with parsley and the rest of the mushrooms on top.

--------------------
www.cogusbox.com

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14142993 - 03/18/11 12:30 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Made some beer battered Hericium last nite, stole the recipe from another website. Pretty simple, but probably the best thing I've ever cooked :homerdrool:

2 cups flour
2 cups beer (I recommend Great White... Humboldt's version of a Blue Moon)
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon parsley flakes (or pick your own spices and let me know if you find a better mix!)

Heat oil to 375.
Meanwhile, mix beer, flour, & spices into a bowl until smooth creamy consistency.
Then dip em and cook em. Easy as that.

*I left my Hericium in pretty big chunks, basically cut it up just enough to make sure they could be thoroughly cleaned of insects.

For my side dish I just sauteed up some bell peppers, onions, carrots, and then threw some swiss chard in there for the last minute or so. Wild mushrooms and home grown organic veggies (besides the bell peppers) MMM MMM GOOD!

Offlinelancasterpunk29
Peer

Loc: strangest climate on the ...
    #14146533 - 03/19/11 12:07 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

for the ultimate mushroom lover this will be the only way to go.

olive oil only you'll know how much to add the ratio is about the same as if you were to cook scrambled eggs.

add a quarter or more of the mushrooms in add sea salt a pinch or two depending on the amount and your liking for salt.

fresh cracked pepper. enough to smell when you waft the steam to your nose.

while sautéing do not use a spoon or stirrer unless you absolutely cannot pan flip. if you use a light weight rounded pan and flip them in the pan every few seconds allowing them to turn as to cook the other side and mix up the ingredients.

then add jarred garlic (or fine granulated* garlic. if you have too little oil it may remain gritty) usually comes in a great lc sized jar. oh boy add this on if you are a fan once again to the scent of the waft. if it needs less add more of your mushrooms. this happens fast but if some  start to brown in color that is what you want. (the pan will flame up slightly this is ok unless you are in too cluttered a kitchen or panic.)slight flaming will add flavor.

the oil should have the viscosity of cold milk. keep smelling as soon as they appear done enough to your main entree then perfect. (if you are a true friend of them this is your main dish =])

make an omelet and add to center
serve on fresh grilled steak pre seasoned with all of these ingredients
add to anything burgers bread sauce

butter may be used in conjunction with or instead of olive oil

but canola or vegetable is not as tasty (if your accustomed to them it will suffice)

i prefer them cooked almost to nothing while not burning them. as they caramelize inside they are sucking up the main ingredients like a sponge.

i'm sure this would go great with tofu as a topping for rice as long as you made a sauce out of the same things maybe a little soy sauce in the cook for flavoring. top the rice with butter first and have a filling delicious cheap meal.
If you have not ever successfully tried?made this dish are you considering?
You may choose only one
yes
no
maybe
i have and enjoyed
i have and it was not my thing

Votes accepted from (03/19/11 12:00 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14150427 - 03/19/11 08:10 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Ran-D said:
Made some beer battered Hericium last nite, stole the recipe from another website. Pretty simple, but probably the best thing I've ever cooked :homerdrool:

2 cups flour
2 cups beer (I recommend Great White... Humboldt's version of a Blue Moon)
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon parsley flakes (or pick your own spices and let me know if you find a better mix!)

Heat oil to 375.
Meanwhile, mix beer, flour, & spices into a bowl until smooth creamy consistency.
Then dip em and cook em. Easy as that.

*I left my Hericium in pretty big chunks, basically cut it up just enough to make sure they could be thoroughly cleaned of insects.

For my side dish I just sauteed up some bell peppers, onions, carrots, and then threw some swiss chard in there for the last minute or so. Wild mushrooms and home grown organic veggies (besides the bell peppers) MMM MMM GOOD!

I cant belive you brought up Great White. thats my favorite beer except for HBC's Tangerine(when the batch is good).

I've missed it dearly since moving to the UK.

Offlinexwk
Stranger
Female

#14287552 - 04/13/11 11:25 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

stuffed button mushrooms are easy and really good.  i'm bad at writing recipes, so here goes.  clean your button mushrooms and remove the stems.  dice the stems and set them aside.  combine cream cheese (8oz) with shredded cheese (parmesam or gouda is good), some seasonings, the chopped stems from the button mushrooms, and some breadcrumbs.  mix all that up very well and spoon it into the mushroom caps.  bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.  i'm sure you could use the same process for big portobello caps and it would be even more delicious!

made this for thanksgiving last year, it's delicious with mushroom cream gravy.
http://foodandspice.blogspot.com/2008/04/mushroom-nut-roast-in-puff-pastry.html

Mushroom Nut Roast in Puff Pastry

2/3 cup of cooked quinoa (1/3 cup uncooked)
2 cups of nuts, finely chopped (cashews, walnuts, pecans, Brazil, or any combination of nuts you desire)
2 - 3 tablespoons of sesame seeds
397 gram package of puff pastry
2 tablespoons of olive oil or butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 - 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
6 fresh cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
2/3 - 3/4 cup of dried wild mushrooms (porcini, portabello, oyster)
4 - 5 sundried tomatoes
1 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne
1 teaspoon of oregano
juice from one lemon
3 eggs beaten + 1 for brushing the pastry
sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste

Soak the quinoa overnight in 2/3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for about 15 - 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside.

In a frying pan, toast the nuts and seeds over low heat for about 5 minutes or until they begin to darken a few shades. Transfer to a large bowl.

Soak the dried mushrooms and the sun-dried tomatoes in two small bowls of hot water for roughly 20 minutes. Squeeze out excess liquid, finely chop and set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add the onion, garlic and celery to the pan. Stir and fry for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is softened. Now add the fresh and dried mushrooms to the pan, raise the heat and cook for another few minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the toasted nuts.

Now add the lemon juice to the bowl, along with the quinoa, paprika, cayenne, oregano and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir until well combined. Add the salt and pepper, stir and test for seasoning. Add the three beaten eggs, and stir well.

Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured board until very thin. Line a loaf pan with the rolled out pastry, leaving enough overlap to cover the top of the loaf pan. Spoon the nut mixture into the loaf pan, distributing evenly and pressing down firmly. Beat an egg in small bowl. Brush the puff pastry with the egg and cover loaf with the overlapping pastry. Place a baking sheet over the loaf pan, invert, and remove the loaf pan. Make small slits and holes in the pastry and brush the entire loaf with more of the beaten egg.

Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm with a vegetable dish or salad.

--------------------
i tried making sense of it, and then i realized i should be trying to make sense as to why i was even trying to make sense

OfflineNSF
Eager to learn
 User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: BlueGrower]
    #14288802 - 04/14/11 08:12 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BlueGrower said:
This is a simple recipe very typical in Spain made out of Níscalos (Lactarius deliciosus). Wikipedia says in english they are called Saffron milk cap or Red pine mushroom.

Just get the small fellows (so they can be taken with the hand and eaten in one byte)
cut part of the stem
place them upside down in oven paper
spread chopped up garlic and parsley over the shrooms
pour some olive oil (extra virgin best) and salt
put in the oven
Leave in the oven for 15 minutes. Every 5 minutes open the oven and spoon the juice that the shrooms sweat to the oven paper on top of the shrooms.

It´s also typical to add some "jamón Ibérico", maybe the caviar of spanish products.

Not fair at all!  Jamon is utterly outstanding in Spain, nowhere in the world does it as well.  My god this is making me miss the north of Spain badly and i was only there 8 months ago.

--------------------

InvisibleFernandoCastro
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: NSF]
    #14401536 - 05/04/11 07:17 PM (9 years, 28 days ago)

--------------------
www.cogusbox.com

Stranger
 User Gallery

#14518002 - 05/26/11 09:51 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

Anyone have any clever tips for cooking mushrooms while camping?  I'm gonna go kayak camping this weekend so we can haul a bunch of stuff so I want to bring some tasty food.  It looks like I'm gonna have a good amount of shiitake ready, and probably hericium and I harvested a flush of nameko tonight.  So I have quite a bit to work with.

Ideally I'd like to cook at least the shiitake on the campfire.  Anyone tried roasting them in the campfire with some other veggies in tinfoil?  That's the first thought that occurred to me.

Any other ideas for enjoying mushrooms while camping are welcome.  I also have a small camp stove so could cook them in a more traditional way too.

OfflinePileusSonofGalt
PhungiPharmer
Male

#14581309 - 06/08/11 06:54 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Really, not one pizza, no duxcells and not even a mention of bruschetta toppings? Well one of my favorites, not only for the ease of preparation but it is one of the few dishes where the mushrooms get to really stand on there own.

I use whatever is on hand, morels, shitake, french horn, or my favorite chanterelles! I usually use about a pound, but I eat a lot.

If you have cast iron use it! Nothing is better for sauteing mushrooms in my opinion, or a heavy bottomed skillet if none is available.

1 pound of mushrooms sliced
1 loaf of crusty bread- I prefer pugliese or cuban style bread cut in 1/2" to 3/4" thick pieces
5-7 ounces of mild creamy goat cheese
2-3 cloves of crushed garlic
1/4 cup red onion diced
1/4 cup of chopped parsley
1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper- more or less depending on your affinity for heat
Salt and FRESH ground black pepper to taste

Saute the garlic until golden in a mix of 50/50 butter and olive oil NOT EXTRA VIRGIN it has to low of a smoke point for this application, add red onion and caramelize. Set aside and saute mushrooms, when they are about 90% done add the onion and garlic back to the mix along with the parsley, crushed red pepper, and salt and black pepper to taste. Toast the bread while doing this and when ready spread a thin layer of the goat cheese on the bread, top with your mushrooms and enjoy. If you really want to give it some extra ummph, sprinkle just a little parmesan reggiano on top. Make sure it is the good stuff though, if it came pre grated forget it. When sauteing the ingredients SALT them, kosher salt is the way to go, if all you have is table salt then go to the store, kosher salt tastes better, is available everywhere and for a great price.

Invisiblebastard4life
Travel Agent
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: PileusSonofGalt]
    #14611602 - 06/14/11 11:40 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Dutch Oven Pork Loin

1 four pound pork loin
  1 large white onion
  1 red yellow and orange bell pepper
  1 pound portobella mushrooms
  1 pound button mushrooms
  1 quart mason jar filled half way with pineapple juice
  4 ounces of honey
  4 ounces of lime juice
  2 ounces spicy brown mustard
  2 tsp each of black pepper, paprika, salt, basil, rosemary, thyme.

marinade
      Add honey, lime juice, mustard, black pepper, paprika, salt, basil, rosemary, thyme to the mason jar of pineapple juice. Put jar lid on mason jar and shake until all ingredients are well mixed. The mustard and honey take a little bit of shaking to blend completely.
    preparing pork loin
      Put pork loin in the botton of a gallon ziplock freezer bag with mushrooms and your marinade. Put in fridge at least one hour. I usually do six hours.
    Cooking pork loin
      Put pork loin and mushrooms and marinade in your dutch oven saving about a cup of marinade to put in a small sauce pan to make a sauce for the pork when its done. Also add the bell peppers sliced into the dutch oven. Put in 400 degree oven for about 3 hours or until tender.
    Making sauce
      Take the cup of saved marinade and put it in a small saucepan under high heat. Using a wisk constantly mix sauce until it is thick. If you stop whisking while on high heat you will burn the honey and carmelize the pineapple so pay attention. I usually reduce the sauce by half on high heat
    Making the plate
      slice fully cooked pork loin and serve with peppers and mushrooms. Drizzly the sauce you made out of the marinade on the pork and enjoy.

OfflineKamek
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: bastard4life]
    #14743904 - 07/10/11 03:23 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I can't believe I only come across this thread now. I'm going to go and try a couple of these recipes.

Offlineiloveshitaki
Apprentice
 User Gallery

#15043975 - 09/07/11 05:14 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Mushroom omelet

2-3 eggs depending on appetite
1/16th cup milk (or water)
pinch of sea salt
pinch of black pepper
half a small onion (optional)
1/8 lb mushroom (I like button and pink oyster)
olive oil for Sautéing

1) Finley chop onions and mushrooms
2) Throw a little bit of olive oil in a pan and let it get nice and hot
Place onions and mushrooms in pan (You may want to throw onions in first depending on how much you want them cooked)
3) Mix eggs, salt, pepper and milk into a medium bowl and whisk until uniform
4) Take mushrooms and onions out of pan, place in bowl mix then pour into pan.
5) Let sides of omlet cook so you can lift and move the uncooked egg around the pan cooking uniformly.
6) Place lid on and turn heat to low.
7) Flip and serve!

--------------------
Yes I spelled shiitake wrong
yes I am to cheap to pay $10 to fix it :shrug:

Edited by iloveshitaki (09/07/11 05:15 PM)

OfflineFlagPharmer
Mycoholic

#15342006 - 11/08/11 09:13 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

CRAB STUFFED SHIITAKES

1 pound fresh shiitakes
approx half pound (6-8 oz) lump crabmeat
5 green onions, thinly sliced (not too much of the green tips like half white onion half green part)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried herbs de provance
ground black pepper to taste
I like to garnish with fresh chopped marjoram and lavendar blossoms

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a medium bowl, combine crabmeat, green onions, herbs, and pepper. Mix in mayonnaise and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese until well combined. Refrigerate filling until ready for use-it is a little easier to put in shiitakes if it is firm from being cold.
Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp towel. Remove stems. Spoon out the gills and the base of the stem, making deep cups. Discard gills and stems. Fill the mushroom caps with rounded teaspoonfuls of filling, and place them in an ungreased shallow baking dish. Sprinkle tops with Parmesan and fresh garnishing herbs.
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top and bubbly. Remove from oven, and serve immediately

Offlinemushroomj
Nub Sauce
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arkansas
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: FlagPharmer]
    #15378874 - 11/16/11 11:27 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I stole this from a site a couple of months ago, but it is crazy good and makes it own gravy :shocked: Enjoy!!

Lion's Mane Mushroom Recipe

Here's a simple lion's mane mushroom recipe that's delicious on pasta or crackers. The butter and cream are a little heavy, but you can substitute olive oil and milk for a lighter mushroom recipe.

This cooks down to gravy, although you can omit all the liquids if you like and still have a delicious topping for pasta, tofu, or other dish.

Ingredients:

•1/2 lb lion's mane mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
•3 tablespoons butter
•2 cups light cream
•1/2 yellow onion, chopped
•2 cloves garlic, chopped
•3 tablespoons flour
Melt one tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until they seem to have given off most of their liquid.

Throw in the onions and garlic and cook until the onions have softened and the mushrooms are brown.

Add the flour and the remainder of the butter. Cook several more minutes, stirring frequently to mix the melting butter with everything else.

Slowly pour in the cream. Turn down the heat and allow the mixture to simmer until it has reached your desired consistency.

Serve on top of pasta, rice, or crackers. Delicious!

OfflineGreat Scott
Trigger Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Control Grid
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: mushroomj]
    #15390543 - 11/18/11 07:05 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Chanterelle Burgers

Ingredients
  • Ground Beef
  • Fresh Chanterelles
  • Butter (or olive oil)
  • Garlic (and/or shallots)
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Herbs & Spices
  • Worcestershire Sauce

Chop Chanterelles and dry saute them until most of the water is evaporated.
Add diced garlic and some butter or olive oil and continue to saute for a few more minutes. Set this aside and let it cool down
Take ground beef and work in some salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce, and other spices. I like to use some paprika, tumeric, and italian seasonings.
Then work in the sauteed Chanterelles, mixing it with the ground beef really well.
Form balls or pattys and make either meatballs or hamburgers.
The pattys will fall apart if you don't mix the meat up into the right consistency. The right ratio of chanterelles to ground beef varies so find what works.
The flavor of these burgers is out of this world delicious.
It's a really simple "bar food" style recipe but don't underestimate how insanely good these things taste. Gourmet.

ps. use good beef for elite results.

--------------------
:thumbup: :thumbdown:

Offlinedeucedbi9
Stranger

Loc: UK
Re: Recipe Thread. Mushroom 'tea' [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15439244 - 11/29/11 07:44 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

One of my projects for this winter is to make a few mushroom cooking videos and have them free on my website.  Lots of people have no idea how to go about cooking mushrooms.  At any rate, post your favorite recipes here, and if I use any of them on my website, I'll give credit to whomever credit is due.
RR

Grind x amount of whatever species you prefer and add to ~500ml of boiling water in a small pan, reduce heat to simmer/pasteurising temps for 5 minutes or so, add pepper/salt garlic /herbs to taste with a little Marmite/Bovrill and a thickening agent, either gravy granules or agar...enjoy.

RR. Have you released these mushroom cooking videos yet?

--------------------
whether low pressure sucks or high pressure blows...
it's a bugger to cycle in.

even though I'm feeling good
Something tells me I'd better activate my prayer capsule

OfflineNonBobAnon
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recipe Thread. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15525771 - 12/16/11 11:28 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Mushroom cream sauce

Ingredients:

1 T olive oil
1 cup sliced mushrooms (this was excellent with L rubrilacteus, and I used a lot more than a cup)
2 t minced garlic (adjust to taste)
1/2 cup dry vermouth (or dry sherry or dry white wine)
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 t fresh thyme
1/2 t fresh sage
1 cup cream (or replace with 1/2 c half-and-half, and a 1/2 c creme fraiche or sour creme)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering, then add the mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about another minute. Add the vermouth (or sherry or wine), simmer and reduce for a few minutes. Then add the chicken broth, and simmer about 5 minutes, or until reduced by about half. Add the cream, thyme, and sage and reduce until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over pasta. Excellent with steak or pork chops.

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recipe Thread. [Re: NonBobAnon]
    #15527068 - 12/16/11 04:50 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

From a link related to the cultivation of Lentinus polychrous Lev that
member Sparkle posted recently.

I give you: Mok Hed
======================================================
The easiest and tastiest recipe is Mok Hed or "Mushrooms Roasted in Banana Leaf."
Ingredients: Mushrooms, beaten egg, lightly mashed green chilis, hoary basil or Thai basil (add fish or chicken if preferred).
Mix all ingredients together, flavor with salt or fish sauce.
Wrap in banana leaf and roast (or bake in clay oven).
======================================================

I cannot just run to the grocery store for most of this, but it does
sound veeery tasty.

You can see it here:
http://anonbiotec.gratis-foros.com/t534-topic#1487

Take care,

JD

--------------------

Myco-tek.org

InvisibleTrametes
 User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread. [Re: Javadog]
    #15614121 - 01/04/12 07:58 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Mushroom Soup with Bacon

Ingredients

5 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch lengths
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
    Kosher salt
    1 clove garlic, smashed and finely chopped
    1 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms, stems removed and sliced (recommended: shiitake, cremini, or oyster)
    2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, diced
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup dry sherry
    4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

Directions

Add the bacon and butter to a wide, large pot and bring it to a medium heat. Cook the bacon, stirring frequently until it gets crispy and has released a lot of fat. Reserve the bacon and set aside.

To the bacon fat, add the diced onions and another pat of butter, if needed. Season the onions with salt and cook until they are soft and very aromatic, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes. Add the mushrooms to the pan, season with salt and cook until they are soft and have released their juices, about 6 to 7 minutes. Scoop 1/3 of the mushroom mixture into a bowl and reserve.

To the pot, add the diced potato and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons flour. Add the sherry and cook until it has reduced by 1/2. Add the stock and bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Taste the stock and season with salt, if needed. Simmer the soup for 30 minutes. Add the cream and simmer for 10 minutes more.

Using a blender or immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and add the reserved bacon and mushrooms. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning, if needed.

Garnish the soup with the chopped fresh parsley.

Offlinechristopherbear
Forest Dweller
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia Flag
Re: Recipe Thread. [Re: Trametes]
    #15657121 - 01/12/12 07:43 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

I eyeball my ingredients and let my tasting tell me what to do.  This is my Italian breakfast that I love to make.  I change the ingredients based on what I have but I have no set measurements.  Here are the ingredients I never change.  It tastes best with fresh herbs.

Chris's Italian Breakfast

1 box of your favorite pasta, I chose larger noodles like spaghetti or fettuccine
1/2 cup olive oil
1 garlic cloves or teaspoon of garlic powder
2 pinches of your favorite Italian herbs (fresh oregano is divine)
6 eggs
2 tbsp sweet cream butter
salt and pepper to taste
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups or more of any mushrooms (I used oyster recently)

Boil your pasta til soft and drain.  In saucepan melt the butter mixing the garlic and seasoning evenly.  Place in thinly sliced mushroom and gently brown.  Add the noodles and oil and bring the temperature up to medium.  Crack the eggs into the pan, toss the pasta to ensure that the egg coats the noodles.  You should end up with a cottage cheese look on your pasta.  After the egg is cooked serve immediately onto a plate and add grated cheese to the top.  I garnish with olives and a piece of parsley or shaved basil.  Next time I make it I will add a picture to this.  :wink:

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere Flag
Re: Recipe Thread. [Re: christopherbear]
    #15692088 - 01/20/12 10:04 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Got my favorite breakfast/brunch recipe, for when i need max NRG through the day.  Hope Y'all enjoy!

Egg Sandwich with Mushrooms

Makes 4 sandwiches

Ingredients:

- 4 Chicken or Duck Eggs
- 4 Slices of homemade or Ezekiel bread
- +/- 1lb of Mushrooms; King Oyster, Oyster, Lions Mane, & Shiitake Mixed together is what i normally do, but you can really use any type of mushroom
- 1 Avocado
- 4 Slices of cheese (any kind)
- Mixed greens and onions (optional)

Prep and cook the mushrooms.  Start toasting bread, at the same time cook the eggs on a pan with oil or butter; eggs are cooked over-easy (i poke the yolk to cook it, as uncooked eggs scare the sh** out of me; this style is actually called "over-hard"), but they can be scrambled or really cooked with any style.  Once the bread is done toasting coat each piece with 1/4 of a mashed avocado.  When the mushrooms are ready set them on top of the avocado.  Then put the cooked eggs on top of that. Then if desired put mixed greens and raw onions on top of the eggs.  Then put the cheese slice on top of that.  At the table i normally top with freshly ground Himalayan seas salt + mixed peppercorns and ground kelp/dulce/alaria/etc.  Eat with your hands. YUM!

--------------------
Mushroom medicines available at:
www.swordandshieldwellness.com

OfflineOICU812
Chefs Choice Mushroom Co.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Foothills of NC Flag
Breaded Chicken Sacaoppine with mushroom sauce [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15698569 - 01/21/12 05:50 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Breaded Chicken Sacaoppine with mushroom sauce

3/4 Lb. Chicken breast, boneless
1-3/4 t. salt
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
1 egg
3 slices fresh bread
2 T. Freshly grated parmesan cheese
3 T. Olive oil
2 T. unsalted butter
1/4 C. chopped onion
2-1/2 C. Sliced Shiitake mushrooms
1 T. Fresh minced garlic
1/2 C. white wine

In a blender or food processor, chop fresh bread and parmesan cheese together  until you gave course crumbs.  Slice the chicken breast across the grain about 1" thick and pound to 1/4" thick medallions. 

Beat the egg thoroughly in a shallow bowl.  Put the bread crumbs and cheese in another shallow bowl.  Sprinkle the chicken with salt & pepper and dredge in the egg, then coat with the bread crumb mixture on each side.

(Meat can be pounded and breaded 5 -6 hours abead and put, covered, in the refrigerator.)

At cooking time, Heat the oven to 180°F.  Cook chicken medallions in hot skillet about 1-1/2 minutes per side until nicely browned.  Put cooked chicken medallions on a plate in the oven to keep warm. 

Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and onion to the skillet and sauté for one minute.  Add the sliced mushrooms.  and 1/2 teaspoonof salt  and 1/2 cup of white wine and sauté for 2-3 minutes more until the mushrooms are lightly browned and liquid is almost evaporated.  Melt the other tablespoon of butter into the sauce.  Spoon the sauce over the chicken medallions and serve.

--------------------
--------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" --Benjamin Franklin

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.". . . Henry Ford
----> Read: CRAZY HORSE - The Strange Man of the Oglalas by Mari Sandoz

Offlinenewgui
मशरूम की दोस्त
 User Gallery

Re: Breaded Chicken Sacaoppine with mushroom sauce [Re: OICU812]
    #15713343 - 01/24/12 07:53 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Here's an extremely simple vegan recipe that I will use quite often as a snack/meal that would take a small amount of time.

Newgui's Vegan Indian appetizer

-Take your favorite mushroom to use (for this recipe, maybe some tasty chanterelles...) and fry them up a bit in vegetable or chickpea oil
-next, bread them....this sounds fucking delish to me.
-you could do this for a bunch of other vegetables at this stage, give yourself a little more variety. Good to do with cauliflower, green chilies
-find yourself a delicious chutney or sauce. I find that tamarind would be AWESOME for this because of how delicately sweet and savory it is.
-ENJOY!

--------------------
http://picnic1.bandcamp.com/

:vegan:

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: newgui]
    #15778119 - 02/08/12 08:26 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Mushroom ragout

Mushroom stock
1# Mushroom steam, roasted
1 C. White onion, chopped
1 C. Carrot, chopped
1 C. Celery, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, smashed
5 peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 qt. cold water

Put all ingredients in a stock pot and simmer for 2 hours. Strain and reserve.

Mushroom Ragout
1 # Chopped mushroom(a mix is preferred)
1/4 C. Minced shallot
4 Strips of chopped bacon
1 clove of garlic
1 qt. Mushroom stock
2 C. Heavy cream
1/2 C. White wine( Madeira or Marsala works better but not usually on hand)
1/4 C. chopped fresh herbs(parsley, tarragon, chives-just parsley works though)

In a sauce pan brown the bacon on medium heat to render out the fat. Scoop out the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Add the mushrooms, shallot, and garlic and saute until aromatic.
Add the bacon back in and then the wine. Reduce the wine by half then add the mushroom stock and cream. Reduce this down by about 2/3 to 3/4 its original volume until thick and creamy. Finish with salt and pepper and the fresh herbs.

At work we usually serve this with a steak, or lamb, stuff it into potatoes, or just as a side dish. So good and has a very rich mushroom flavor to showcase all the hard work we put into growing.

Enjoy!
Chefin
(p.s. I've probably god a hundred recipes using mushrooms if interested)

--------------------
Check out my youtube videos. the Mushrooms Naturally series by chefinainteasy

My new business is now on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MushroomsNaturally?ref=hl

MY Garden:grin:

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere Flag
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: chefinainteasy]
    #15779457 - 02/08/12 02:41 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

chefinainteasy said:
Mushroom ragout

Mushroom stock
1# Mushroom steam, roasted
1 C. White onion, chopped
1 C. Carrot, chopped
1 C. Celery, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, smashed
5 peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 qt. cold water

Put all ingredients in a stock pot and simmer for 2 hours. Strain and reserve.

Mushroom Ragout
1 # Chopped mushroom(a mix is preferred)
1/4 C. Minced shallot
4 Strips of chopped bacon
1 clove of garlic
1 qt. Mushroom stock
2 C. Heavy cream
1/2 C. White wine( Madeira or Marsala works better but not usually on hand)
1/4 C. chopped fresh herbs(parsley, tarragon, chives-just parsley works though)

In a sauce pan brown the bacon on medium heat to render out the fat. Scoop out the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Add the mushrooms, shallot, and garlic and saute until aromatic.
Add the bacon back in and then the wine. Reduce the wine by half then add the mushroom stock and cream. Reduce this down by about 2/3 to 3/4 its original volume until thick and creamy. Finish with salt and pepper and the fresh herbs.

At work we usually serve this with a steak, or lamb, stuff it into potatoes, or just as a side dish. So good and has a very rich mushroom flavor to showcase all the hard work we put into growing.

Enjoy!
Chefin
(p.s. I've probably god a hundred recipes using mushrooms if interested)

Nice ones, loving the stock recipe.  I always give out a similar recipe to people who want to know what to do with the stems, that or I tell them to make a tea.

--------------------
Mushroom medicines available at:
www.swordandshieldwellness.com

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Aleon]
    #15800074 - 02/12/12 09:06 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I did a vegan dish the other day with them as the "meat" feature. It was espresso,chili and cinnamon rubbed oyster mushroom over a chipotle chickpea puree, saute green beans with sofrito, and a toasted almond chimicherri foam. I could eat those kings all night!

--------------------

My new business is now on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MushroomsNaturally?ref=hl

Offlinenewgui
मशरूम की दोस्त
 User Gallery

#15800304 - 02/12/12 09:51 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

oh my GAWD that sounds good...

--------------------
http://picnic1.bandcamp.com/

:vegan:

OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
Lions Mane Ragoon's [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15802308 - 02/13/12 10:23 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Ingredients

12 ounces chopped lions mane mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
2 green onions with tops, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
48 wonton wrappers

Directions

Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Lightly spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
Combine garlic, cream cheese, crab, green onions, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce in a bowl.
To prevent wonton skins from drying, prepare only 1 or 2 rangoon at a time.
Place 1 teaspoon of filling onto the center of each wonton skin.
Moisten the edges with water and fold the wonton skin diagonally to form a triangle, pressing edges to seal.
Moisten one of the bottom corners.
Create a crown by pulling both bottom corners together and sealing.
Arrange the rangoon on the baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray.
Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.

*** note ***
ragoons may also be pan fried  or deep fried

--------------------
ISO: Orissa, Malabar, z strain

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: Lions Mane Ragoon's [Re: ChromeCrow]
    #15810422 - 02/14/12 08:44 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Filet with asparagus, truffle Parmesan potatoes, and mushroom ragout.
Recipe is above. Happy VD wify

--------------------

Invisiblepo0dingles
0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Shitaki Mushrooms that taste like BACON! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15822640 - 02/17/12 09:29 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

MUSHROOMS THAT TASTE JUST LIKE BACON!

VERY simple:
Mix large bowl of shitaki mushrooms with a little olive oil (just enough to coat them, don't drown them.
Add a few punches of some salt
Bake @ 350 degrees F. For 1 hour.
Mix, flip, rotate mushrooms every 10 minutes.

Hour cooking will remove most of the water and make them crunchy like Bacon. Great for salads or other garnish. What DOESN'T taste good with a little bacon?!

Edited by po0dingles (02/17/12 09:57 AM)

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: Shitake Mushrooms that taste like BACON! [Re: po0dingles]
    #15827121 - 02/18/12 09:43 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

MMMMMmmmmmmm.......love shitake bacon. When we do it at work we usually just use pan spray after laying the shitake on a baking sheet so they just get a really light coating, then the salt. Well we use smoked sea salt for that really smoky bacon flavor. Its like popcorn and bacon had a love child!

--------------------

InvisibleRigVedaLXVII.Soma
Bacteri/Phyc/Bry/Myc/ology
 User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
Re: Shitake Mushrooms that taste like BACON! [Re: chefinainteasy]
    #15914077 - 03/07/12 01:42 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I need a quick suggestion please.

I just bought a bag of dried Michigan Picked Chanterelles.

Any suggestions on Making a quick and simple, yet delicious meal?

Preferably something simple, as I live alone, and have a very poor selection of food right now.
It's kinda like the movie "friday" "You got some Kool-aid, no sugar. Peanut butter, no jelly." 
My cupboard is pretty randomly stocked. 

So any quick recipes that will bring out the flavor of the Chanterelles yet, not require a lot of food?

Maybe even a list of foods that go well with them?

Thanks a bunch guys.
Peace and Love.
:peace::aum:

--------------------
"While clinging to the moronic belief that they constitute a "counterculture," they share our society's overriding urge for expediency. They make no attempt to learn about the organisms they eat and it always struck me as ironic that people with such a low level of consciousness should be seeking "higher consciousness." -David Arora

"Man is placed in the middle between two infinities - the infinitely great and the infinitely little - both of which are equally incomprehensible to him." -Pascal

MyPostImage Gallery  Trade List
Spores I Am Looking For  Seeds I am Looking For
:peace: Solanaceae, Amanitaceae :peace:

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shitake Mushrooms that taste like BACON! [Re: RigVedaLXVII.Soma]
    #15914887 - 03/07/12 04:49 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Dried chanterelles are going to be a bit chewy.

You can chop them fine and add them to soup. Or add them to rice before you cook it to add some flavor to the rice and some chewy bits for contrast.

InvisibleRigVedaLXVII.Soma
Bacteri/Phyc/Bry/Myc/ology
 User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
Re: Shitake Mushrooms that taste like BACON! [Re: falcon]
    #15914912 - 03/07/12 04:54 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah thanks. Good idea.

I ended up making a poor mans mixture.

I sauted some rehydrated chanterelles, sliced shittake, and some potatoes and onions.
Then added a bunch of yummy spices.
Then poured a little of the chanterelle water on it while sauteing.
and to top it off added one egg and stirred it all around.
And powdered one chanterelle and sprinkeled it like a spice.
Then I even painted a bit of honey on it all.

Turned out delicious! :wink:
And good for having no food! even if it is ghetto. haha

--------------------
"While clinging to the moronic belief that they constitute a "counterculture," they share our society's overriding urge for expediency. They make no attempt to learn about the organisms they eat and it always struck me as ironic that people with such a low level of consciousness should be seeking "higher consciousness." -David Arora

"Man is placed in the middle between two infinities - the infinitely great and the infinitely little - both of which are equally incomprehensible to him." -Pascal

MyPostImage Gallery  Trade List
Spores I Am Looking For  Seeds I am Looking For
:peace: Solanaceae, Amanitaceae :peace:

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shitake Mushrooms that taste like BACON! [Re: RigVedaLXVII.Soma]
    #15914958 - 03/07/12 05:03 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Mmm, sounds good. :cheers:

Offlinesenorcafe
Male

Re: Shitake Mushrooms that taste like BACON! [Re: falcon]
    #15926756 - 03/09/12 09:18 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

butter

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shitake Mushrooms that taste like BACON! [Re: senorcafe]
    #15933096 - 03/11/12 12:35 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

senorcafe said:
butter

I think some mushrooms, including Chanterelles, are best just simply sauteed in butter and garlic.

Offlinealaska_mushrooms
Mr
Male User Gallery
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska Flag
    #15956554 - 03/16/12 05:56 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I too am just now starting to collect recipes.  Here is one you might like.

If ya like, your welcome to use any recipe on my site (still constructing it).

My site is also using videos to walk people through making varied dishes.

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

Loc: Andromeda
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: alaska_mushrooms]
    #15976194 - 03/21/12 12:13 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

That would be great with some oyster mushrooms in place of the canned crappy ones. Yummy!

--------------------

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: shroomsynergy]
    #15980667 - 03/22/12 10:38 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Yea I don't really understand that recipe.. It says "canned oysters", does that mean mushrooms or actual oysters? Then add more canned mushrooms on top of that? No thanks.

Offlinefukinspud
Stranger
    #15985879 - 03/23/12 01:11 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

:rolleyes:

OfflineKamek
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: fukinspud]
    #15989272 - 03/24/12 10:04 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Looks like a recipe for disaster if you ask me...

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Cultivator
    #15990678 - 03/24/12 04:50 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Ran-D said:
Yea I don't really understand that recipe.. It says "canned oysters", does that mean mushrooms or actual oysters? Then add more canned mushrooms on top of that? No thanks.

Most canned mushrooms don't have much flavor, but they do have a good texture that adds something to some recipes. Then there's people who put up their own mushrooms, I'll bet maitake is very good canned. I've had a bunch of different kinds of pickled mushrooms that are good.

Offlinesenorcafe
Male

Re: Shitake Mushrooms that taste like BACON! [Re: Ran-D]
    #15991956 - 03/24/12 10:54 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Ran-D said:
Quote:

senorcafe said:
butter

I think some mushrooms, including Chanterelles, are best just simply sauteed in butter and garlic.

Offlinesenorcafe
Male

Re: Shitake Mushrooms that taste like BACON! [Re: senorcafe]
    #16021648 - 03/30/12 09:51 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

hey all im looking for some help on a recipe

i have some really nice hamburger bun size blue oysters thatll be picked tommorrow

im going to make homemade buns toasted on flat top
cook the oyster mushrooms in some garlic and butter on the flat top

my ?s are
what type of cheese would compliment the fungus withought over takening it?
condiments?
and then add ons? like onions tomatos etc.

im figurin... bun then condiment then oyster then cheese then ONE add on then top bun
:crazy2:

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

Loc: Andromeda
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: alaska_mushrooms]
    #16038237 - 04/03/12 12:56 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

alaska_mushrooms said:
I too am just now starting to collect recipes.  Here is one you might like.

If ya like, your welcome to use any recipe on my site (still constructing it).

My site is also using videos to walk people through making varied dishes.

I actually used this recipe as a base for my soup last night. here's how I made mine though:

I sauteed about 1 1/2lb fresh picked pearl Oyster mushrooms (chopped medium) till golden brown in butter before adding them to a large can of Cambell's Cream of mushroom soup (family size), added 1 can's worth of milk, 1 can of whole oysters (8oz I think), 1 can of whole baby clams (10oz I think), 2tbs Butter, 3/4 tsp hot cyan powder (or to taste), salt and pepper to taste, Then once it was steaming hot I slowly stirred in about 1 1/2 cups mexican 3 cheese blend (till fully melted into the soup).

It came out great. everyone liked it. Even the kiddo's who would run away in front of a clam or oyster. lol

Next time I will add shredded baby carrots and carmelized onion to it to help give it a little more body. Otherwise not too bad at all.

I topped mine with a bit more salt pepper and Cyan powder in the bowl for that added POW! and it's quite good, plus the cyan powder on top gives it a bit more color.

--------------------

InvisibleRiverDweller1
 User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: shroomsynergy]
    #16045828 - 04/04/12 11:12 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

here's what I did with some yummy morels...
some shallots, garlic, crimini, and morel

saute minced shallots and 2 gloves garlic minced over medium heat in olive oil.

once shallots have dissolved and garlic is browned add mushrooms and saute 10 minutes.

add some butter and half a cup of white wine

about a cup of heavy cream

Simmer over medium heat until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
Served over baked potato instead of butter and sour cream

:heart:

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: RiverDweller1]
    #16045848 - 04/04/12 11:17 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

That sounds wonderful.

I still remember when I first discovered shallots.

They're onions *and* garlic, together!

I'm the Sheriff AND the mayor!

;0)

Thanks for sharing,

JD

--------------------

Myco-tek.org

Offlinerocrex
Stranger
Loc: Flag
Re: Recipe Thread - Cooked Water or Acquacotta [Re: Javadog]
    #16735368 - 08/21/12 12:24 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Serves 4

Cook together
  1-2 diced potatoe
  1 diced carrot
  1 qt water or chicken stock

Saute in olive oil
  1 onion
  1-2 ribs celery

When onions are translucent, add and continue sauteing.
  1/2 pound sliced mushrooms - porcini, button, shitaki

Combine sauted mushroom/onion and cooked potato/carrot/stock. Add
  2 red ripe tomatoes, or a can of diced tomatoes

Bring to a simmer and add
  4 cups of coarsly chopped greens  -any of kale, spring nettles, spinach, beet greens, swiss chard
Cook just enough to wilt the greens.

Remove from heat and season with optional
  1/2 bunch thyme leaves , basil, hot red pepper, parsley
  sea salt and pepper, to taste
  garlic cloves diced

Meanwhile in a separate pan, poach
  4 eggs (the eggs can be poached directly in the soup, but they're easier to serve if they're poached separately)

Just before serving, if this is your choice of mushroom, add
  a handlful or 2 Enoki mushroom

Ladle soup into soup bowl and float in each
  a thick slice of wholesome toasted bread
  1 poached egg on top of the toast

Sprinkle with grated Parmesan or Parmigiano-Reggiano

Edited by rocrex (08/21/12 01:01 AM)

Offlinemicki_t
Male

Loc: Northumberland, UK
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: rocrex]
    #16824169 - 09/10/12 04:08 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Here is my recipe for Thai Tom yung with as many oyster mushrooms as you can fit in the pot, which is easily adaptable to a variety of ingredients.

You need:

>1 lt Chicken stock
>1/4 teaspoon shrimp paste
>stalk/s of galangal (about 2 fingers worth)
>3 large stalks of lemon grass
>8 Kaffir lime leaves
>5 to 20 whole red thai chillies (depends how hot you like it?)
(You can often buy frozen Tom Yung packs in the oriental super market very cheap)
>Fish sauce - to taste (4+ tbl spns)
>Sugar (I like palm sugar (1-3 table spoons)
>3 whole fresh limes- juice of.
>Oyster mushrooms (as many as you can reasonably fit in the pot or desire)
>6-10 Green/spring onions sliced into 1inch pieces, and leaves finely sliced and set aside with coriander
>Small bunch of coriander (as much as you like) torn, stalks diced.
>Tiger prawns, chicken, etc... (cook accordingly)

Heat chicken stock in pan with lemon grass, galangal, chilies, and kaffir lime leaves until boiling.

Add coriander stalks, meat (if any, cook accordingly- chicken, (3-5 mins) in small pieces, i've never used beef or pork, and mushrooms. (3-5min depends on size of mushrooms together with meat).

(Add prawns, if using, 1-3mins, size dependent)

Add spring onions, fish sauce, sugar.

Turn off heat, add coriander leaf and lime juice.

*Add small amounts of fish sauce, sugar, and lime, if you are unfamiliar with this combination, then top up each at the end to suit taste.

Serve with jasmine rice and salad :smile:

OfflineEddeee
Observer/messenger
Male User Gallery

Loc: under the pacific ocean o...
Re: Recipe Thread Real Mushroom Pizza [Re: micki_t]
    #16980339 - 10/06/12 08:36 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

OK this is for the real shroom heads that are out in the woods collecting those good edibles.
Mushrooms Needed
Giant Puff ball. The huger the better?
Honey Mushrooms 1 cup
Aborted Entalomas 1/2 cup
Hen of the woods. 1 cup
First Thing is to saute the last three mushrooms  cut the hen of the woods up into small peaces and cut the aborted enataloma in half. They resemble shrimp when done this way. and just use hole firm caps of the honey mushroom. I always use the smaller immature caps before they open all the way. They are fleshier in that state. then 1/4 cup mince white onion. 5 cloves of garlic  chopped fine the other two smashed, Add the garlic and onion to the olive oil and get it hot then Add your mushrooms to the oil so they start to saute.
NOw Get that Giant puff ball and a good sushi knife and cut it in 1 inc flat slabs In a good size puffball you can get about 4 flat peaces. This is basically your pizza dough.Take the flat section and brown in a frying pan. What I use is finely ground bread crumbs  with a table spoon of pepper and table spoon of garlic salt. I use two eggs beaten then I place the flat slices in the bread crumb mixture and dip them in egg then back in the bread crumbs so there is a good coating of bread crumbs. Then fry them in a good oil. (I use Walnut oil ) browning each side until they are golden brown. Then I put them aside. to drain on paper towels. now Back to the other mushrooms. After they have been sauteing for a while I add 1/2 cup of dark beer. and a shot glass full of Oyster sauce. and stir that in. and start reducing it a bit. Once there all well cooked. I drain any liquid that is off into a small sauce pan. I add starch to thicken it a bit and put it a side. Now I get pizza sauce Ragu is fine. and I spread that on the puff ball slices then add the mushrooms on top and add some cheese. Mozzarella, Jack. and cheddar  is what I use. Then pop that in a oven at 215 to 220 degrees and bake for about 20 min. Remove from the oven and then drizzle that sauce over the top. and serve forth.  Its a very unique recipe. Just made some to night and it made 4 people very happy.

--------------------
Don't read books study life then write books
we are nothing but atoms trying to figure out what atoms are.

OfflineOICU812
Male User Gallery

#16982704 - 10/07/12 09:01 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Javadog said:

I'm the Sheriff AND the mayor!

;0)

JD

Hot Damn, I'm gonna declare a holiday!

--------------------
--------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" --Benjamin Franklin

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.". . . Henry Ford

OfflineOICU812
Male User Gallery

Shiitake Mushroom Gravy [Re: OICU812]
    #17068346 - 10/20/12 04:33 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Shiitake Mushroom Gravy

Ingredients

½ cup all purpose flour
    3 tablespoons butter
    12 ounces sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
    5 cups (about) canned low-salt chicken broth
    1 teaspoon dried thyme

½ cup dry Sherry
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary or 2 tablespoons dried
    1/3 cup whipping cream
    1 teaspoon dried tarragon

Directions

Mix flour and Sherry in small bowl until smooth paste forms. Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shiitake mushrooms and rosemary and sauté until mushrooms begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add chicken broth to saucepan with shiitake mushrooms. Add flour paste and whisk until smooth. Bring mixture to boil, stirring frequently. Boil until thickened to light gravy about 10 minutes. Mix in cream, thyme and tarragon. Season gravy with salt and pepper.

--------------------
--------------

OfflineCyans
mfmulcher
Male User Gallery
Loc: Coast redwoods
Re: Shiitake Mushroom Gravy [Re: OICU812]
    #17261876 - 11/21/12 11:44 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Shitake and oysters are very good mixed heavily into meatloaf with lots of veggies.  Top that with yoor gravy

--------------------
hunting All kinds of stuff on the coast range

OnlineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

Loc: Funkytown
    #17444149 - 12/24/12 09:43 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

jokefox said:
deep fried mushrooms the stoner way

make some pancake batter mix , as the side of the box will tell you how

cover your mushroom with some flour , dip in the batter mix, then roll into crushed up ritz crackers
and deep dry, also very good with onions , who doesent love onion rings or anything deep fried for that matter

nothing quite like puffing on a good joint while frying chanterelles with seasoned milk and egg wash then dipped in 50%-75% ritz and the rest next day bread crumb. ill be using pancake batter next time for sure!!

--------------------

follow your dreams and stay asleep.
Spawning to Bulk Substate TEK

General Myco Info / FAQ / Terminology

OnlineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

Loc: Funkytown
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: GreenHorns]
    #17444892 - 12/25/12 01:20 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

stole this recipe from http://honest-food.net/2009/08/31/chanterelles-and-the-sexiest-soup-ever/ and it turned out bad ass. i omitted the saffron since im not made of airports and found a place to shove some fresh demi glace as well :smile:

Serves 4-6.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

VELOUTE

6 cups chicken stock, or pheasant, turkey or quail stock (you can go with duck or goose stock if you use morels, cremini or porcini mushrooms)
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons flour

SOUP

1 pound fresh mushrooms
    2 minced shallots
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3 egg yolks
    1/2 cup cream
    1 shot brandy (Armagnac is my preference)
    1/4 teaspoon saffron
    Salt to taste

Make the veloute. Heat the stock to a bare simmer. In another pot, heat the butter until frothing and stir in the flour. Stirring all the while, let this cook for a few minutes over medium heat. Do not let it brown.
    Whisk the hot stock into the roux and let this simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often. You want it to slowly cook down by at least 1/3 and be silky looking.
    While the veloute is simmering, make the mushroom base. Mince the mushrooms and shallots fine and sweat them in a saute pan over medium heat with a touch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until the shallots are translucent and the mushrooms give up their water.
    Crumble the saffron into the brandy and add it to the mushroom base. Turn the heat up to high and toss or stir to combine. Cook until the brandy is nearly gone.
    Buzz the mushroom base into a puree in a food processor.
    OPTIONAL: If you want a truly refined French soup, push this puree through a fine-mesh strainer.
    When the veloute is ready, add the mushroom puree and stir well to combine. Cook this at a bare simmer for 10 minutes.
    OPTIONAL: If you want a mushroom garnish, slice a few chanterelles lengthwise and sear them in an dry pan until they give up their water and brown.
    Beat together the egg yolks and cream, then ladle — a little at a time — some soup base into the egg-cream mixture. This is called a liaison, and you are tempering the eggs with the hot stock slowly, so they do not congeal. Once you have 3-4 ladles of soup into egg-cream mixture, pour it all back into the soup and simmer. DO NOT BOIL.
    OPTIONAL: Put this soup through the fine-mesh strainer again to remove any lumps and return to low heat.
    To finish the soup, turn off the heat and whisk in the remaining butter.
    Serve with the seared mushrooms in the center, with crusty bread and white wine. Enjoy decadence.

*i grew up eating home made Swedish meatballs made from ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, home made garlic mustard season salt, and onion. then simmered in a cream of mushroom soup from a can and milk gravy. when i use this soup the day after in place of cream of mushroom in a can and its fucking unbelievable. give it a go in whatever amounts of each you want. really cant do it too wrong since it ends up slop on top of egg noodles, or better yet mashed potatoes anyways.

--------------------

follow your dreams and stay asleep.
Spawning to Bulk Substate TEK

General Myco Info / FAQ / Terminology

Offliner00tuuu123
Now I'm just really piseed
 User Gallery

Loc: I'll be there in a minute
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: GreenHorns]
    #17454332 - 12/27/12 07:05 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

My christmas dinner beef, lobster and shrimp stew
about a 3 lb pot roast (season as you like)
2 6 oz lobster tails
12-16 20/26 shrimp
about a 1/2 lb of carrot
1/2 stalk of celery
1 pint sour cream
1 onion
about 1/2 lb of ham
Beef stock
Spatzes(2 cups flour 2 eggs 1/4 stick butter. boil spatzes for 10 minutes.
Then add spatzes to the stew
(i had to use store boughts) about 4 oz of mushrooms sliced.
simmer for about an hour.
And you're good to go

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #17475956 - 12/31/12 10:30 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Just a little food porn. Made this the other night for the wife and neighbors. First course, a teriyaki shrimp with grilled baby oyster mushroom cluster, syrachi marinated tempura tofu, and a scallion, radish and snow pea ginger lime salad.

--------------------

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #17477163 - 12/31/12 02:56 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

:homerdrool:

--------------------

Myco-tek.org

OfflineShu
Emminence front it's hard
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA, USA
    #17477659 - 12/31/12 04:54 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

chefinainteasy said:

Just a little food porn. Made this the other night for the wife and neighbors. First course, a teriyaki shrimp with grilled baby oyster mushroom cluster, syrachi marinated tempura tofu, and a scallion, radish and snow pea ginger lime salad.

That looks amazing, but I'm afraid without the recipe - it never happened!:tongue2:

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Loc: Babylon Flag
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Shu]
    #17625460 - 01/28/13 06:52 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

This isn't an elaborate recipe but it works good for me!
I work 12.5hr days with an hour drive so I don't have lots of time but I love to eat fresh shiitakes
every single day. Tastes great, feels great.

The best part about this is the speed and the fact that the butter flavor isn't diluted.

Just take fresh shiitakes and put them in either a bowl or best yet, a large cup that's like a bowl in width. On top, place a large chunk of butter and freshly grind a pinch of both thyme and oregano.
Microwave for about 1minute and they're all done. ( the melting butter gets really hot & cooks them fast)
Get a fork and dive right in.
The flavor reminds me almost of fine seafood. 
Quick, easy & simple.
  Enjoy. CHEERS!

--------------------

spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

Offlinehyphal
Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Planet Earth
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #17856771 - 02/24/13 07:54 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Shiitake Lentils

1.5C French Green Lentils-rinsed
Half a small onion-chopped
1T Caraway seeds
2T chopped fresh Rosemary
3 cloves Garlic-chopped finely
4 Medium Dried Shiitakes-ground in coffee mill to a powder
2 cubes Not-Beef bouillion

Bring 3 cups water to a boil
Add lentils and onion and stir
Cook on medium 20 min
Add Caraway, Shiitake, and bouillion cubes-stir well
Cook over medium heat (covered) until lentils are tender, but not mushy~10-15 min
Add garlic and rosemary. Stir well.
Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes
Add salt to taste. (Not usually needed, due to the salt in the bouillion)
Serve with quinoa or crusty bread.

YUM!!!

--------------------
Surfing the Wood Wide Web

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: hyphal]
    #17901750 - 03/04/13 09:12 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14

Offlinepsche-path
Male

#17919229 - 03/07/13 02:25 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Portabella caps marinated in italian dressing and cooked with tomato sauce and grated parmesan cheese.

OfflineMurmurs
Stranger
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #17919233 - 03/07/13 02:26 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Chanterelle Duxelles
Makes 2 1/2 cups

Ingredients:

1/2 pound fresh chanterelle mushrooms
1 cup minced crimini mushrooms
2 shallots, peeled
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup red wine
1 tablespoon cream sherry
Sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
Instructions:

1) Slice and then roughly mince your ’shrooms. You want something between thick confetti and a dice. Mince the shallots, too.

2) Put a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat, add about a tablespoon of olive oil (for ultimate naughtiness, use French butter) and start cooking off the mushrooms and shallots in three batches (so as not to steam the mushrooms—the idea is to steal their liquid and replace it with wine and oil): Add one-third of the mixture and sauté for about 10 minutes or until much of the moisture has cooked off. Set aside on a plate and repeat until all the mushrooms are sautéed.

3) Put all the mushrooms back on high heat and add wine and sherry. Cook until liquids disappear completely, then season with salt and pepper.

4) Let cool and then empty into a glass or ceramic dish for storing. Cover the mixture with the rest of your olive oil (or until submerged). Keep up to one week, refrigerated. Or freeze for up to 3 months.

OfflineMurmurs
Stranger
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Murmurs]
    #17919367 - 03/07/13 02:43 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Chanterelles are also great for making flavored vodka. Makes a really interesting bloody mary.

Invisiblespaceman101
Friend to all
Male User Gallery

Loc: In heaven bored as hell
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Murmurs]
    #17933958 - 03/10/13 02:57 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Damn I think I'm gonna be doing alot of cooking tomorrow:grin:

--------------------
-------------

Check out my Pollen Trade thread for spreading Good genetics far and wide :grin:

Great Vendors thread where we can discuss "Non Shroomery" Vendors that sell good products worth checking into :stoned:

A few things I wanna get my hands on check it out and let me know if you have any of these:grin:

Need help getting started growing mushrooms
              Here's The Noob Forum

Invisiblehostyle
Stranger

#17989446 - 03/21/13 12:42 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Barbecued Portobello Mushrooms

This recipe is quick and easy. Pretty low on the calories to if you don't use a shitload of cheese =)

Ingredients:

Portobello mushrooms
Extra virgin olive oil
Goats cheese

How it's done:

Preheat grill to high.
Remove the stem and if needed you can give them a quick rinse.
Brush mushroom cap in Extra virgin olive oil.(prevents drying out)
Slice some goats cheese to desired thickness.
Cover mushroom spores with goats cheese.
Turn grill down to medium.
Place mushrooms spore/cheese side up on grill.
I cook them for about 10 min or until the cheese is melted.

Offlinet3chnobily
Strangest
Male

Loc: As Seen In VT
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: hostyle]
    #18062109 - 04/05/13 11:45 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Young Lions mane cutlets

Pick a young fruit that is just starting to "tooth"

Slice on a bias

Dunk in eggwash and dredge with almond flour.  Fry in butter till brown both sides

Serve with kimchee on a bed of greens!

OfflineAxerage
Noob
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: t3chnobily]
    #18081414 - 04/09/13 11:26 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Has anybody thought of indexing this thread and putting it on the first page?  An index or at least a list of these awesome recipes would be super handy!

OfflineShroomer204
Stranger
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Axerage]
    #18184141 - 04/28/13 11:04 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Asian inspired recipe

Here's what you need.

-Mushrooms. (I mainly use this with chanterelles, agaricus would be equally good)
-Equal parts of onions to mushrooms,
-1 cup of water
-1 teaspoon of cornstarch or if you don't have then flour
-1 teaspoon of chicken base (depends on the mushroom, good with chanterelles)
-You can add a touch of soy if you want, but I don't use soy for chanterelles (optional, depends on the mushroom, good for agaricus)
-You can substitute chicken base and water for chicken stock.

Cooking instructions

-Slice large mushroom specimens in half. Leave the rest whole.
-Slice onions.
-Mix cold water with starch and chicken base in a cup
-Saute onions in a pan with a bit of butter/oil till caramelized.
-Combine mushrooms with onions and cover with a lid, cook till water releases. Don't let the water evaporate.
-Whisk in starch mixture till it slightly thickens, you may need to add more starch/flour depending on how much water the mushrooms release and how much your cooking up. Your looking for a slightly slimy thickness texture, it should just coat the mushrooms and onions, similar to chowmein noodles.
-Serve

Offlinethesmellythief
Shroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Shroomer204]
    #18327787 - 05/27/13 12:34 PM (7 years, 4 days ago)

OH GOD SO MUCH YUMMY RECIPYS

Offlinethesmellythief
Shroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

#18327803 - 05/27/13 12:36 PM (7 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

chefinainteasy said:

LOOKS SO GOOD LOL

Offlinethesmellythief
Shroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

#18327823 - 05/27/13 12:39 PM (7 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

chefinainteasy said:

Im looking you up now :laugh:

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: thesmellythief]
    #18330719 - 05/27/13 10:15 PM (7 years, 4 days ago)

Any of you guys have any experience with drying puff balls?

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #18330912 - 05/27/13 10:44 PM (7 years, 4 days ago)

I think that they are sliced before they are dried.

...I think that I am pulling that from the Arora book, but I am not sure.

Good luck,

JD

--------------------

Myco-tek.org

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #18331028 - 05/27/13 11:05 PM (7 years, 4 days ago)

Well yea I was going to slice them up and all. Just seems like I remember reading somewhere that their texture isn't very good once rehydrated :shrug:

Edit: I guess what I really want to know is are they worth drying or should I try to store them fresh and eat them in the next couple days?

Edited by Ran-D (05/28/13 12:22 AM)

Offlinegeneralsherman55
MF BOOGNISH

Loc: yay area
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: t3chnobily]
    #18884517 - 09/24/13 11:26 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

t3chnobily said:
Young Lions mane cutlets

Pick a young fruit that is just starting to "tooth"

Slice on a bias

Dunk in eggwash and dredge with almond flour.  Fry in butter till brown both sides

Serve with kimchee on a bed of greens!

that looks amazing!

--------------------

OfflineNSF
Eager to learn
 User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: generalsherman55]
    #18887540 - 09/25/13 12:42 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I just had some success with a morels pasta. 

200gm fresh morels, rinsed, salad spun, rinsed again, sliced in 'rings', rinsed and spun again. 
6 spring onions, white parts finely sliced
knob oh ghee
knog of butter
2 cloves of garlic finely diced
chicken stock cube
1/4 cup hot water
chinese broccoli, chopped (or asaparagus)
1/4 cup cream
porcini powder

Bring a pot of salted and oiled water to the boil, add pasta

In a pan melt ghee and gently cook spring onions until tender, raise heat and add morels and garlic.  Cook to your liking.  Add chinese broccoli, stir fry one minute, then add stock cube and water, cook broccoli until al dente.  Add cream and butter, reduce heat and thicken a little. 

When pasta is al dente, drain and return to pot, add sauce to pot and stir through, sprinkle on porcini powder and serve. (do not cook porcini powder) 

A little parmesan, fresh strands not powdered goes very well on top of this one.

--------------------

OfflineChuck H
Stranger (than most)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Island in the PNW
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: NSF]
    #19049929 - 10/29/13 12:42 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

I finally made my peace with Matsutake!

2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 clove garlic minced fine
1 Tbsp fresh ginger root minced fine
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp tomato chopped into small pieces
2 Tbsp cilantro chopped course
1 Tbsp sake or white wine
1 Tbsp sugar
1 medium sized Matsutake
2 1/2 cups water

Tear matsi into quarters and place in a zip bag with 1 Tbsp soy sauce, the garlic, the wine, half the ginger and sugar. smoosh around and allow to marinate for 15 min. Reserve marinade and place matsi's on a large sheet of foil. Crimp foil into a tight pouch and place in a 400* oven for 15 min. Allow pouch to cool.

Prepare two bowls each with 1/2 the tomato, cilantro and remaining ginger.

Open matsi pouch and add 1/2 pouch liquid to each bowl. Slice matsi's thin and add 1/2 to each bowl.

In a pan, combine water,remaining marinade, 1 Tbsp soy sauce,  rice wine vinegar and remaining sugar. Bring to a boil and pour 1/2 into each bowl through a strainer. Cover bowls immediately and allow to stand for four minutes.

only uncover upon serving for the aromatic effect. I covered the bowls with plates and put a scoop of sushi rice on each one. It made for a nice, functional presentation. Serves two. 

Amazing doesn't touch it!

--------------------
"Fungally speaking, we are smiled upon most favorably." David Arora

Edited by Chuck H (11/16/13 09:07 AM)

Offlineshroomseng
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: RiverDweller1]
    #19148191 - 11/17/13 01:46 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

im gonna make this on thanksgiving!

--------------------

Invisibleforagedfungus
 User Gallery

Loc: out there
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: shroomseng] * 1
    #19225779 - 12/04/13 08:54 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Maitake pickles.
Found more hens than I could cook back in october.So I tried pickling some. Opened the jar today...yum!

Ingredients
_hen of the woods
_salt
_spices (I used garlic and some "pickling spice mix"[cinnamon, allspice, mustard seed, coriander, bay leaves,ginger, chilies, cloves, black pepper, mace, cardamon]
_vinegar
_water

-Clean mushroom
-Shred into bite size pieces
-Salt liberally, mix
-let the shredded mushrooms sit with the salt on them for a few hours. The salt will draw off a lot of moisture.
-squeeze as much of the water from the salted mushrooms as possible (I didn't save this water, but maybe it could be useful as very salty soup base?)
-Put mushrooms, spices, and equal parts vinegar/water in a pot, boil for 20 min
-While still hot, transfer to sterile jars. making sure mushrooms are submerged in vinegar/brine.
-Hot water bath the sealed jars for an additional 15 minutes.
-Store in a cool dark place for at least 2 weeks (up to 6 months...maybe longer?)

Next time I am going to adjust the spices, leaving out the cinnamon and cloves, adding more garlic maybe some onion.

Offlinekellogg
economist...ist
Male

#19707161 - 03/17/14 02:52 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

This all sounds so delicious xD i must try

OfflineRandomFX
protege
Male User Gallery

Loc: North-East, USA Flag
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: kellogg]
    #19739569 - 03/24/14 03:24 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

marinated mushrooms in italian type dressing has always been one of my favorites...but I seriously need to make 10-20 lbs of it at a time to stay in supply for just myself.

OfflineChefRawk
Stranger

Creamy Lobster Stuffed Mushroom Caps [Re: RandomFX] * 1
    #19812261 - 04/08/14 09:34 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I created this recipe on the fly last night. Its basically a crab rangoon cream cheese stuffed inside a mushroom cap.

Ingredients:
Your favorite mushroom cap
Cream cheese (I used Philadelphia french onion & chives)
S&P
Imitation crab (can be replaced w/real crab)
Chopped Garlic
Milk
Bell Peppers
Parmesan Cheeze

Instructions:

In a small bowl combine all ingredients making sure to shred crab into small pieces and chopping garlic/peppers into very small bits

2) stuff into mushroom

3) bake at high heat 425 for roughly 20 minutes

ENJOY

NOTES:

In the future If I have the spare cash I will use real crab, real lobster, fresh chives. Also I think it would taste very fire to saute some shrimp and add to the cream cheese mixture.

Edited by ChefRawk (04/08/14 09:36 AM)

OfflineUKMunter
No stranger to website
Male

Loc: Nottinghamshire
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: ChefRawk]
    #19877071 - 04/21/14 08:21 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Oh have I got the loveliest mushroom recipe you will ever know ... It so simple .. I really only want to add my experience one evening in a moors, near where I used to live... .. 

Ready >> Butter ...

Just add Yellow Swamp Russula's ....

Oh my. The very best mushroom I have ever tasted on a frying pan over a camp fire .. Seriously I have to share that experience.. The flavour was just so nice, .. 

Other foods may be added at the expense of not tasting the mushroom ??>>!!

--------------------
Everlasting Gob Stopper hedges .... .. . Yes I loved that rug .... .

Offlinegeneralsherman55
MF BOOGNISH

#20061257 - 05/30/14 02:15 PM (6 years, 1 day ago)

i just picked up a few mushroom cookbooks. id be happy to share some recipes. just name a species and ill post em!

also is this the same roger from the camping trip? if so i would love a recipe for that tea you made. shit was amazing

--------------------

Invisiblelipa
 User Gallery

Loc: California Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #20061850 - 05/30/14 04:30 PM (6 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

generalsherman55 said:
i just picked up a few mushroom cookbooks. id be happy to share some recipes. just name a species and ill post em!

also is this the same roger from the camping trip? if so i would love a recipe for that tea you made. shit was amazing

Calocybe indica :lol:

Offlinegeneralsherman55
MF BOOGNISH

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: lipa]
    #20061920 - 05/30/14 04:44 PM (6 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

lipa said:
Quote:

generalsherman55 said:

pretty sure thats not in any of the books but ill check when i get home

--------------------

Offlinetscott1632
Shroomery Creeper
 User Gallery

Loc: Montana
    #20069529 - 06/01/14 02:04 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

anyone ever tried stuffing morels?

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineRandomFX
protege
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: tscott1632]
    #20069798 - 06/01/14 03:22 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

I've told people to stuff their morals, does that count?

Offlinegeneralsherman55
MF BOOGNISH

#20070554 - 06/01/14 06:23 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

generalsherman55 said:
Quote:

lipa said:
Quote:

generalsherman55 said:

pretty sure thats not in any of the books but ill check when i get home

it doesn't have it. but heres the: Chicken and Chanterelle Pudding

1 med onion chopped
1 celery stalk sliced
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tbsp veg oil
2 chicken breasts skinned and boned
1 1/4 cups fresh chanterelles trimmed and sliced
4 tbsp all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups homemade or canned chicken broth
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp wine vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper

Dough:
3 cups self rising flour
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cups chilled unsalted butter, diced
5 tbsp cold water

1. saute onion, celery, thyme in oil without coloring. cut chicken into bite sized pieces and add to pan with the mushrooms and cook briefly. stir in the flour and remove from heat.

2. stir in chicken broth gradually so flour is completely absorbed by the broth. return to heat, simmer to thicken, add mustard, vinegar, and seasoning. set aside to cool.

3. dough: sift the flour and salt into a bowl. add butter and rub together with finders until it resembles bread crumbs, add water all at once and combine. roll out dough on floured surface as a rectangle 10 x 12 inches. pour cool chicken chanterelle pudding over it and roll it like a fat burrito. use cheese cloth to help roll and encase it in cheesecloth when done to tie it off.

4. lower pudding into pan of boiling water, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. lift out. untie. slice and serve.

its basically like a chanterelle beef wellington. the picture in my book looks great.

--------------------

OfflineForrester
dumbfounded dipshit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine, USA Flag
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: generalsherman55] * 2
    #20434106 - 08/17/14 07:04 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Ok so here's a not so gourmet recipe for those of us with lesser chef skills and / or time/money :lol:

Black trumpet pizza!

Obviously a homemade pizza is best for this, but if you're broke and/or don't have the time for that, go grab a Tony's frozen pizza, and a lot of black trumpet mushrooms.  Cut the mushrooms (fresh) into a nice sized pile of pretty small pieces.  No cooking necessary for the shrooms, just put 'em on the frozen pizza and add some extra shredded cheese on top.  Then cook as per your frozen pizza box instructions. 

MMMMMmmmmmmm..... :crazy2:

EDIT:  I discovered that if you sautee the mushrooms in a small amount of oil first and cook out most of the water, you can fit more mushrooms on your pizza and it won't get watery.  More mushrooms = better.

--------------------
Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Edited by Forrester (08/22/14 10:12 PM)

OfflineRandomFX
protege
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Forrester]
    #20460093 - 08/22/14 03:17 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

This cannot possibly compete with mushrooms on a pizza, but:

Make a bechamel ( Heat 2 T butter in a pan with 2 T flour until bubbly,do not brown. add 1.5 cup of milk,1/4 ts salt (Or I often use 1/4 ts chicken stock granules instead, which is better imo.) a bit of ground nutmeg while stirring until thick and creamy and add a bunch of diced mushrooms)

boil some pasta until al dente, add into a casserole dish, add a can of cream of chicken soup, add in the bechamel and mushrooms (Which is basically cream of mushroom soup really.) dice some cooked chicken breast or mix of white meat and dark if you prefer, add salt and pepper, I prefer a lot of pepper personally, sprinkle a bit of cheddar  or mozz cheese on top and press down lightly and bake until cheese melts slightly, do not brown, will only take a few mins. You now have chicken tetrazzini with mushroom. Feel free to add some parm and a sprinkle of parsley for color.

OfflineNobodyYouKnowS
Someone else
 User Gallery

Loc: To your south Flag
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: RandomFX]
    #20482556 - 08/27/14 02:11 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Awesome thread! I'm going to spend hours here! Should add my own favourite Mushrooms in Sour Cream served with traditional Aussie Damper;

Mushrooms in sour cream

250-350g common white button mushrooms thinly sliced (I found these work best)
100g butter unsalted
1/2 onion chopped
little bit of salt and pepper
500ml Sour Cream

Melt butter in fry-pan, cook chopped onion till clear, add mushrooms salt pepper and cook to your liking or cook until most moisture out. take off heat and let cool 2-3 mins (do NOT put on a lid) Stir in sour cream, ready to serve. Serve with damper or challa or any 'pull apart' bread.

Traditional Aussie Damper;

3 cups self raising flour (more if needed)
1/4 teaspoon salt
180ml milk (extra if the mix is too dry)
80g (1/3 cup) butter

Preheat oven 190° C (375° F). Mix flour salt, rub in butter until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add milk slowly until you get a dough. Knead on floured surface for a few minutes. Shape into a round loaf. Brush with milk and make a cross on the top with a knife. Bake in round cake tin (or on flat tray) greased and dusted with flour for 30-40 min in your kitchen oven or 30mins covered with coals in your covered camp oven.

This damper goes amazingly well with the mushrooms, it's messy and delicious. I usually just dip the bread in the mushrooms.

Edited by NobodyYouKnow (08/27/14 05:15 PM)

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: NobodyYouKnow]
    #20559484 - 09/12/14 07:17 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Pan roasted chicken of the woods, kin oyster, and grey oyster with sauté Swiss chard and horseradish greens over whipped potatoes.

Invisiblesolarity
mm... my favourite food
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #20565549 - 09/14/14 10:29 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Wow, that looks great, have you considered a change of career?:laugh:

--------------------
Commercial exotics farmer for 8 years - now sold up!

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: solarity]
    #20568138 - 09/14/14 07:49 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Ha funny. I make dinner for my family a LOT more now. Often I end the meal with saying," man, I think I should start cooking for a living." Some day when the mushroom biz is where I want it maybe I'll try my hand as a resturanture. Until then I'm loving my new life!

--------------------

OfflineNobodyYouKnowS
Someone else
 User Gallery

Loc: To your south Flag
    #20585509 - 09/18/14 08:15 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

chefinainteasy said:
Pan roasted chicken of the woods, kin oyster, and grey oyster with sauté Swiss chard and horseradish greens over whipped potatoes.

That made me drool! That looks amazing!  :laugh:

OfflineForrester
dumbfounded dipshit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine, USA Flag
    #20586227 - 09/18/14 10:27 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

chefinainteasy said:

Yum! 

I have to ask though, what's with the cross-hatch markings on the kings?

--------------------
Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Forrester]
    #20589341 - 09/19/14 04:34 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Gives it a crips texture all the way across the face. Or just even searing. And looks nice. It's done a lot with foie gras also.

--------------------

InvisibleJuiceh
Dabbing All Day
 User Gallery

#20840643 - 11/15/14 11:53 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

chefinainteasy said:

--------------------
Trade List

How I make 15 lbs of casing in a 941. How I line 12 shoeboxes with 1 39gal bag. How I Deep Fry Cubes!
RogerRabbit said:You need a bigger pressure cooker for this hobby. RR

Offlinessmkvb2
Stranger
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Juiceh]
    #20890763 - 11/25/14 08:25 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

sry to but in guys but i have jst signed up on the site and havent quite figuerd it all out yet jst tryn ta get a quick answer here,so i crushed some brf cakes and sandwiched cased them and put them back in my incubator. do i take it out and put it in fruiting conditions right when i see first signs of white poke through or should i wait till its spread mostly throuh out any pointers are welcomed thanks in advanced.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: ssmkvb2]
    #20901059 - 11/28/14 04:34 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

you really thought the recipe thread was where to post this :confused:

there should be no sandwiching and no incubator the info you're reading is old bunk shit, click the first link in my signature

Edited by Trusted cuItivator (11/28/14 04:34 PM)

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: bodhisatta]
    #21013398 - 12/22/14 05:59 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Anyone have any recipes for cauliflower mushrooms?

Offlineandrewmurray86
Θεολογος
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hunter Valley, NSW Flag
    #21512604 - 04/06/15 09:47 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Here is a great recipe Smoked Mushrooms

Ingredients:
Butter, garlic, mushrooms (portobella are great, as with any cup type field mushroom)

Equipment: A hot smoker.

Prep: heat your smoker to around 100-110 Celsius (around 220F)

Mix up some Garlic butter in a pan on a stove, add as much butter and garlic as you like (coz who doesn't love garlic butter???)

When it is ready let it cool a little but keep it liquid.

Spoon some butter into the mushrooms' gills. Be sure to get some bits of garlic in there too.

Place in the smoker with the wood chips you prefer, any will work but my favourites have been English Oak, Mesquite and Citrus varieties.

Place in the smoker for about 25mins.

Serve straight away.

A great accompaniment to steak dinner or a hot breakfast.

Invisibleforagedfungus
 User Gallery

Loc: out there
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: andrewmurray86]
    #21820977 - 06/17/15 09:34 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

MUSHROOM FRITTERS
Ingredients-
-mushrooms (I used oysters, but this could be good with almost any variety)
-onion
-eggs (separated)
-bread crumbs
-spices (I used salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. but you should get creative with it)
-oil for frying

Dice your mushrooms and onion. 

Mix all ingredients except the whites of the eggs in a bowl.
Beat the egg whites until they are frothy and just start to stiffen, but not so much that they form "peaks" 
add the fluffy egg whites to the mix 

Heat your oil on med-hot. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture in the pan. 
Cook until golden brown, turning once.
I ate mine with a yogurt sauce

InvisibleElkabong
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: foragedfungus]
    #21982894 - 07/23/15 01:18 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Salmon Shitake Stir Fry

Enough salmon for 2-3 people
16 Oz shitake mushrooms
4-5 cloves garlic finely chopped
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
10+ asparagus spears
3 stalks green onion chopped
1 medium sized zucchini
1 medium sized yellow squash
1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
Half bottle thick teriyaki style sauce/marinade w. Sesame seeds.
Teaspoon canola oil
Salt to taste

Remove skin and cut salmon into bite sized pieces (1 in.) Submerge in teriyaki sauce and sesame oil. Set aside.

Chop zucchini, squash, and asparagus into bite size pieces (I do half size of salmon). Wash shitakes and remove stems. Cut/tear into similar size as veggies.

Heat non stick pan (light cooking spray?) Add salmon, save marinade. Toss until cooked and teriyaki is slightly carmalized. Remove from heat and set aside.

Heat canola or other high temp oil in clean large pan until near smoking, add garlic and ginger. STIR Constantly to keep from burning. Once fragrance (30sec.) Add chopped green onion and shitake, continue to toss/stir for about a minute, then add zucchini, square squash and asparagus. Cook till you like the texture of the veggies. Salt to taste.

Then add salmon and remaining(or less) marinade, cook for a few minutes till marinade is safely cooked and pull from heat. Serve in bowls. My household likes the veggies on the crunchy side.

Enjoy and thanks for sharing the other recipes!

Edited by Elkabong (07/23/15 01:17 PM)

InvisibleJuiceh
Dabbing All Day
 User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Elkabong]
    #22010664 - 07/28/15 04:33 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Here's a recipe for kings that is just omg yum!

All you need:
Olive Oil
Soy Sauce
Orange Juice
Garlic Sea Salt
Black Pepper
King Oyster Mushrooms

I like to use kings with decent sized caps. I find that they have a better texture and flavor than the stem, everyone I have prepared these for have said the same.

First, I like to lop off the cap, cutting as close to the top of the cap as possible without cutting through to the cap surface, usually around 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Then I slice stems lengthwize 1/4" on a mandoline. Score both sides of all pieces about 1/8" deep in a crisscross pattern with a sharp knife. Then soak them in a marinade of equal parts olive oil, soy sauce, and orange juice. Add couple dashes of the garlic sea salt and a lot of pepper to the marinade. Soak them for 20 mins to overnight. Then sear both sides in a frying pan with a little oil. Once all the mushroom bits have been cooked, pour the remaining marinade into a small sauce pan. Reduce the remaining marinade by 1/2, then add some butter and melt and mix the butter in. Drizzle this over your finished mushrooms.

Enjoy!

--------------------
Trade List

How I make 15 lbs of casing in a 941. How I line 12 shoeboxes with 1 39gal bag. How I Deep Fry Cubes!

InvisibleEl Torcho
Time for tea?
I'm a teapot

Loc: S Appalachia
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Juiceh]
    #22039181 - 08/03/15 07:25 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I made this a few days ago.

2 tbsp of butter
1/2 pound fresh Shitake
salt to taste

Saute the above for a bit,

then I added in
1/2 diced onion
handful of green beans from the garden
some leftover broccoli stem that was steamed

saute that for a bit,

then addded a diced avocado right at the end, with some pepper and cayenne pepper.

--------------------
"Well it sounds trivial, but the key insight is . . . . . you don't know shit"
~Dennis McKenna

"There is more to human existence and to reality itself than science can ever give us access to."
~His Holiness, The 14th Dalai Lama

OfflineMs Eva
Human
Female

#22263050 - 09/20/15 12:44 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

flugelizor said:
This one is awesome.
I've cooked mushrooms lots of different ways, and IMHO I've never topped this flavor combination for buttons, oysters, shiitakes...

1 lb mushrooms chopped or whole
1 small roughly chopped onion
juice of 1/2 lemon
3 tbsp butter
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tbsp Frank's Red Hot sauce
1 tsp each dried oregano, thyme, and  basil

Mix it all up and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes or until liquid is reduced by 1/2.

Oooh, thanks flugelizor! I'm definitely going to try this recipe, it's so simple and sounds delicious.

InvisibleJuiceh
Dabbing All Day
 User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Ms Eva]
    #22319257 - 10/01/15 01:47 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Did these over the weekend.

Campfire ABM:

Cut ABM caps and stems into skewerable pieces. Large caps were quartered. Stab with skewer. Put over the camp fire and rotate frequently for ~5-10 minutes depending on size of fire and location of skewer in relation to the fire.

That's it!!! They were awesome just by themselves, naked. No oil, salt, or pepper. You can brush them with a little olive oil and sprinkle some salt & pepper on them before cooking them if you wanted to. But everyone seemed to love them totally plain. My brother even ate some that I don't think he cooked long enough and he said they were awesome. LoL!!

I wish I had some pics, but they got skewered and devoured in an awful hurry!!

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleNapkin
Myco Doctor