Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Gov. Schwarzenegger to sign 'Chelsea's Law' on Thursday
    #13181097 - 09/11/10 05:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/08/gov-schwarzenegger-to-sign-chelseas-law-on-wednesday/?iref=allsearch
Quote:

The parents of a California teen who was raped and murdered by a sex offender this year will join Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Thursday as he signs into law a bill that increases penalties for certain sex offenses.

Named after 17-year-old Chelsea King, "Chelsea's Law" increases penalties for forcible sex acts against minors and mandates lifetime parole for certain sex offenders.

Schwarzenegger will be joined by the teen's parents, Brent and Kelly King, and the bill's sponsor, Assemblymember Nathan Fletcher, as he signs it into law at Balboa Park in San Diego, California at 9:45 a.m. PT. The event will be webcast live at www.gov.ca.gov.

"Chelsea's Law" has an urgency clause attached to it that means it will take effect as soon as it is signed.

Read more about "Chelsea's Law" on CNN.com

The bill creates a penalty of life without the possibility of parole for forcible sex crimes against minors that include aggravating factors, such as the victim's age or whether the victim was bound or drugged.

"Chelsea's Law" also sets criteria for assessing the risk of recidivism and, based on that risk, placing certain paroled sex offenders under greater supervision.

Registered sex offender John Gardner III has admitted to killing King and 14-year-old Amber Dubois. He was sentenced in April to three consecutive terms of life without parole for the murders and an attack on a jogger in a plea deal that spared him the death penalty.

Dubois' father is behind three assembly bills concerning law enforcement response to missing children. They are also awaiting Schwarzenegger's signature.

Here are some comments people left in response to this article:

Quote:

It was a tragic thing and never should have happened, but this law was nothing more than just another law where a politician uses the death of a child for political gain. Megan's Law, Jessica's Law, Jenna's Law, Amber Alert, etc. Simply using people's emotion around a case to get name attached to legislation and thus prolong political career. Sad, but this is true.

These crimes are terrible and the people who do them are terrible, but to make new laws with tougher penalties doesn't prevent or deter these crimes, and certainly doesn't bring back the child. All it does is continue the hysteria that surrounds these type cases, and siding with emotion and revenge.

Education and trying to prevent people from wanting to harm a child is key. Telling people they will serve 250 years in prison instead of 20 just tells them they should kill their victim to make it harder for them to get told on.

Again, this child, like Megan, Jessica, Jenna and Amber was used for political gain.

I think this person has a good point, there are already laws in place that are intended to prevent this sort of thing from happening, why do we need more?

I found this comment particularly retarded:
Quote:

Patrick, you are so wrong. This law passed due to the King Family's hard work during a time of great heartbreak and grief. It passed due to the hard work of Chelsea's Light facebook page volunteers and it's 97,000 members. It passed due to the BIPARTISAN work of some very dedicated legislators. Let's leave politics out of it. I choose to believe in the goodness and decency of those who fought for this much needed law. Last, Chelsea is responsible for this law. She wanted to change the world and her sacrifice has done that.

Stupid bitch is saying to "leave politics out of" the drafting and signing of a bill. Wow.

Quote:

Why always a girl's name? Look people, these cases are tragic, but you are being used for your emotion. This is just another case of a politican using a child and the emotion surrounding it to get a law passed, with his name attached and thus gain politically. There are already laws that say if you do this you spend a ton of time, if not all, of your life in prison or get the death penalty. Increasing these penalties does not prevent or deter or bring the child back. Unfortunately it probably forces the sick people who do this to kill their victim.

No one's gonna stand in the way of this law, because nobody wants to be seen as being against 'protecting' kids, even though these laws don't really do that, so this law went super fast through the system.

Oh, by the way, I like how the bill allows the use of polygraph to determine if $ex offender is lying, but in all other cases (in adult murder too) polygraphs are inadmissable.

Also, I see in this bill/law that the assessment tool is required, meaning whatever company gives this is gonna make a good fortune from this law being passed. Wonder who's involved with that company?

This guy makes a lot of sense to me, I agree that this bill is at least partly pandering to peoples' emotions, and is being used more for political gain than anything else.

Quote:

Patrick is right to extent. Any lawmaker that has their name attached to this, Megan's Law, Jessica's Law, etc. are gonna be seen in the public eye as a "protector of America's youth". But these laws have made differences in America, no matter how miniscule. Do we remember who signed these laws now? No. The betterment of society far out weighs any political gain these lawmaker may get.
I think the next step is to enforce a death penatly in murder cases. Why are we wasting our tax dollars on individuals who knowingly and willingly took someone's life. Society today, in my opinion, has gotten too soft. I'm tired of paying for TVs, gym equipment, their education, and food for these people. If you are convicted of murder you should have 2 months to prove your innocents. If you fail to in that time, you should be put to death.
I know people are going to blast me for this post. But why should we have to support someone who has taken the life of another in cold blood?

This guy is spot on as well IMO. :thumbup:

So what do you people make of this? :jailbait:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Gov. Schwarzenegger to sign 'Chelsea's Law' on Thursday [Re: Poid]
    #13181185 - 09/11/10 05:51 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

"Political gain" seems to be surprisingly coincident with "what the people want".  Who knew?

Schwarzenegger has nothing to gain politically.  He will be out next year no matter what and I have not heard that he has any further ambitions in that field.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Gov. Schwarzenegger to sign 'Chelsea's Law' on Thursday [Re: zappaisgod]
    #13181252 - 09/11/10 06:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think the law is sort of pointless--murder and statutory rape is already illegal, so why make a law on this issue in reaction to what happened to Chelsea? It's not going to deter people from raping and murdering, and it certainly isn't going to make a life-in-prison sentence/death sentence any more severe.

Also, another thing is that this type of thing happens all the time to non-white girls--how come, all of a sudden, it becomes really important when this happens to a rich white girl? :strokebeard:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#13181278 - 09/11/10 06:11 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Why is it pointless?  It increases penalties.  Suits me.

You have to bring race into this?  What the fuck is wrong with you?

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13181342 - 09/11/10 06:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

It is pointless to increase a life-in-prison sentence to two terms of life-in-prison. Also, the new bill does nothing to deter criminals from killing their victims, if anything it encourages them to do so.

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
You have to bring race into this?

It's just something that I noticed--I know sometimes answering a simple question is too difficult for you, but I'll try again:

How come, all of a sudden, it becomes really important when this happens to a rich white girl? :strokebeard:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#13181434 - 09/11/10 06:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

It is pointless to increase a life-in-prison sentence to two terms of life-in-prison. Also, the new bill does nothing to deter criminals from killing their victims, if anything it encourages them to do so.

Huh?  It doesn't do that at all.  Did you notice that one of the provisions is for lifetime parole?  What does that have to do with adding a second life sentence?  Here's what the law does.  It removes them from the population for a longer period of time and puts them under permanent scrutiny.  Do you even read your own fucking posts?
Quote:

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
You have to bring race into this?

It's just something that I noticed--I know sometimes answering a simple question is too difficult for you, but I'll try again:

How come, all of a sudden, it becomes really important when this happens to a rich white girl? :strokebeard:

That has nothing to do with it.  Or do you think the penalties should be less for killing a rich white girl?

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13181471 - 09/11/10 06:57 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

Huh?  It doesn't do that at all.  Did you notice that one of the provisions is for lifetime parole?  What does that have to do with adding a second life sentence?  Here's what the law does.  It removes them from the population for a longer period of time and puts them under permanent scrutiny.

So, instead of there being a whole new bill for this, why can't judges across the state just impose stricter penalties for such cases? Again, this bill does nothing to deter criminals from killing their victims because, since they are aware of the strict penalties, they'd rather kill their victim than letting her go and risk being told on.

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

That has nothing to do with it.  Or do you think the penalties should be less for killing a rich white girl?

It must have lots to do with it, or else why is it always a rich white girl (Amber Alert, Chelsea's Law) that catches peoples' attention? I don't want the penalties to be less for rich white girls, my noticing that rich white girls get the media and the government's attention more than non-white girls has nothing to do with how I think this particular bill should be enforced, it's a whole different (but related) issue. Not surprised you didn't catch that, though.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#13181520 - 09/11/10 07:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

Huh?  It doesn't do that at all.  Did you notice that one of the provisions is for lifetime parole?  What does that have to do with adding a second life sentence?  Here's what the law does.  It removes them from the population for a longer period of time and puts them under permanent scrutiny.

So, instead of there being a whole new bill for this, why can't judges across the state just impose stricter penalties for such cases? Again, this bill does nothing to deter criminals from killing their victims because, since they are aware of the strict penalties, they'd rather kill their victim than letting her go and risk being told on.

What stupidity.  Why can't judges just?  Because some of them don't, that's why.  Tougher sentencing just encourages more crime?  Maybe you think they should just be let go if they don't kill their victims, then?  If they just sodomize them a little they should be sentenced to coffee with a shrink? 
Quote:

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

It must have lots to do with it, or else why is it always a rich white girl (Amber Alert, Chelsea's Law) that catches peoples' attention? I don't want the penalties to be less for rich white girls, my noticing that rich white girls get the media and the government's attention more than non-white girls has nothing to do with how I think this particular bill should be enforced, it's a whole different (but related) issue. Not surprised you didn't catch that, though.

I never entered my mind until a racebaiting poster brought it up.  I had never even considered, nor did I know, the race of the child or her economic status because it is irrelevant.  Unless you're race baiting pimp, that is.  Just out of curiosity, did you know that there are a whole lot more white girls than black ones in this country?  It's true.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13181864 - 09/11/10 08:39 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
What stupidity.  Why can't judges just?  Because some of them don't, that's why.  Tougher sentencing just encourages more crime?  Maybe you think they should just be let go if they don't kill their victims, then?  If they just sodomize them a little they should be sentenced to coffee with a shrink?

:rofl2:

I'm just saying that the added penalties for committing such a crime aren't going to deter people any more than the previously existing laws for said crime did; the new bill seems frivolous and that's partly why I think there are ulterior motives for its being signed into law. :shrug:

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
I never entered my mind until a racebaiting poster brought it up.

I don't doubt that you've never entered your mind. :smirk:

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
I had never even considered, nor did I know, the race of the child or her economic status because it is irrelevant.

Irrelevant to what? My bringing up (in my own thread) my own observation that there have been many laws passed for common crimes that occur across all races after a rich white girl becomes the victim? :lol:

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Unless you're race baiting pimp, that is.

You're missing an 'a' there, somewhere...:nerd:

And no, I'm not. :pimp3:

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Just out of curiosity, did you know that there are a whole lot more white girls than black ones in this country?  It's true.

Why do you mention only black girls? Aren't there more non-white girls than there are white girls?

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #13183486 - 09/12/10 08:21 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
It must have lots to do with it, or else why is it always a rich white girl (Amber Alert, Chelsea's Law) that catches peoples' attention?

because the wealthy white parents have the money and influence to see this
shit through, is the wealthy whitey going to get their little girl back
after the law gets passed? does this law only apply when the children of
wealthy whites are abducted

why is this a race issue for you

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #13183493 - 09/12/10 08:26 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Why do you mention only black girls? Aren't there more non-white girls than there are white girls?

no, that's why whites arent referred to as a minority

are you aware that hispanics are listed in the amber alerts more often
than any other race, in fact more than the other races combined

since you're so adamant that these laws are racist and obviously want to
see them ended, let me ask, who's kids do you plan on taking, raping and
killing?

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Gov. Schwarzenegger to sign 'Chelsea's Law' on Thursday [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13185422 - 09/12/10 04:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:

I just don't think it's right that these kinds of laws are usually made when something bad happens to rich white people, what happened to "equal justice for all"?

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

Poid said:

killing?

I never said that I wanted to see them ended, you're just making shit up now.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#13185478 - 09/12/10 04:13 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:

I just don't think it's right that these kinds of laws are usually made when something bad happens to rich white people, what happened to "equal justice for all"?

So you think there should be no such law on the basis that white victims seem, to your benighted mind, to disproportionately be the impetus for them?  What is wrong with you?
Quote:

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

Poid said:

killing?

Unlike yourself, who are speaking truth to power.  And correcting typos at a furious rate.  Oh, the humanity.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13185500 - 09/12/10 04:18 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
So you think there should be no such law on the basis that white victims seem, to your benighted mind, to disproportionately be the impetus for them?  What is wrong with you?

Alright, where did I say that, based on that, there should be no such law? My only complaint about this specific law was that I felt it might have been politically motivated, and that it seemed frivolous.

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

Unlike yourself, who are speaking truth to power.  And correcting typos at a furious rate.  Oh, the humanity.

I'm the Shroomery's #1 Spellir, I have to live by my name. :nerd:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Edited by Poid (09/12/10 04:39 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#13185596 - 09/12/10 04:37 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

Alright, where did I say that, based on that, there should be no such law? My only complaint about this specific law was that I felt it might've been politically motivated, and that it seemed frivoluous.

If you think it is frivolous then you think it should not be enacted.  And you didn't allege a political motivation.  You alleged a racial motivation.

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

I'm the Shroomery's #1 Spellir, I have to live by my name. :nerd:

See italics in bold in your above post.:bluemoon:

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13185614 - 09/12/10 04:42 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
If you think it is frivolous then you think it should not be enacted.  And you didn't allege a political motivation.  You alleged a racial motivation.

I don't think it really needs to be enacted, but this opinion is not based on any racial issues, it's only based on my perception of its frivolousness.

I alleged a political motivation here in my OP:
Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

Why always a girl's name? Look people, these cases are tragic, but you are being used for your emotion. This is just another case of a politican using a child and the emotion surrounding it to get a law passed, with his name attached and thus gain politically. There are already laws that say if you do this you spend a ton of time, if not all, of your life in prison or get the death penalty. Increasing these penalties does not prevent or deter or bring the child back. Unfortunately it probably forces the sick people who do this to kill their victim.

No one's gonna stand in the way of this law, because nobody wants to be seen as being against 'protecting' kids, even though these laws don't really do that, so this law went super fast through the system.

Oh, by the way, I like how the bill allows the use of polygraph to determine if $ex offender is lying, but in all other cases (in adult murder too) polygraphs are inadmissable.

Also, I see in this bill/law that the assessment tool is required, meaning whatever company gives this is gonna make a good fortune from this law being passed. Wonder who's involved with that company?

This guy makes a lot of sense to me, I agree that this bill is at least partly pandering to peoples' emotions, and is being used more for political gain than anything else.

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
See italics in bold in your above post.:bluemoon:

My misteaks don't count. :snub:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#13185683 - 09/12/10 04:54 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Political gain equals doing what voters want?

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13185684 - 09/12/10 04:55 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, you already said that.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#13185920 - 09/12/10 05:30 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

What a concept, huh?

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13185934 - 09/12/10 05:31 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yup, yup...:goodmorning:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom