Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Incense

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Brian Eno is mypersonal God FNORD

Loc: ACT, Australia
Keeping one's head
    #1317825 - 02/18/03 10:02 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'm interested in how people deal with life. It seems to me that every direction I look, things tend to get more and more complicated. Anything you look into, anything you study, things seem to get more and more complicated. How do you keep your shit together? I could cite any number of examples but I'm sure that nobody will disagree that the world is a very diffucult place to live at times. Politics, religion, art... Hell, even drinking wine becomes complicated once you start to look into it. So what do we do to stop ourselves from going crazy?

MushyMay is a fictional character, as a result any information provided by MushyMay is also fictitious.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Dirt Monster
Loc: CNY
Re: Keeping one's head [Re: MushyMay]
    #1318015 - 02/19/03 01:34 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I get by pretty good by having no goals in life. J/k.

Seriously I used to worry about every little thing a few years ago. Now I'm back to just not caring anymore. But I see your point, too much crap out there to deal with.

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

User Gallery

#1318089 - 02/19/03 02:52 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

hrmm i wish i knew... i've gone completely fucking head-smashing crazy many times in past couple years. maybe its cuz i refuse to be pacified by material things... though i'm beginning to realize that's not such a bad thing.

the way i see it, the really confused are just the ones that are really paying attention. is this a good thing? i dont know.. sometimes i feel like i've done enough thinking to last me a lifetime

Fred's son

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1318112 - 02/19/03 03:12 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

MushyMay writes:

Anything you look into, anything you study, things seem to get more and more complicated. How do you keep your shit together?

By focusing on the fundamentals. It is true that if you pursue everything as far as it is possible to pursue it, it is easy to get overwhelmed by complexity. Fortunately, it is not necessary to know everything about everything in order to live a good life. It is interesting to delve deep into the minutiae of every aspect of existence that comes to your attention, sure, but not necessary.

Of course, the big trick is figuring out what is important to focus on and what is not -- separating the wheat from the chaff. That is an ongoing process; a process in which it is impossible for any single individual to unerringly identify what is key and what is irrelevant at first glance.

Meh -- whaddya gonna do?

Loc: Hyperspace
    #1318249 - 02/19/03 05:45 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

it looks like you're discovering the fractal nature of "the everything"

I feel that step 1 is to relax, and step 2 is to choose which areas of life you want to "zoom in" on and which ones you don't need closer details on..

Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
    #1318486 - 02/19/03 07:15 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Me personally, just take it one step at a time. I've wrung myself crazy before on this, and it droze me nuts.. now I just take it one step at a time. What else can you do? I'm a 20 year old male without a highschool diploma, so things are not on the best road for me, but I have a good job, a roof over my head, and a swass computer to occupy my spare time. Video games and collecting pirated software keep me occupied most of the winter, and I'm clean now (I even quit smoking [cigarettes]) and I've found that life is a lot more complicated when you're not abducted by chemical bliss, but at the same time it feels like an accomplishment compared to my position 2 years ago. Do what works for you - find something you like and enjoy it - read books, watch tv, boil eggs, or breed rabbits - do whatever it is you find pleasure in.

If you're always thinking about the future, you forget about the now. What's the point of planning if you never live the plan?

No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Loc: Pandurn
    #1318664 - 02/19/03 08:06 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

See, the more we advance, the more complex and specialized we get. Back in the Middle Ages, things were not yet so complicated. There were lords, serfs, blacksmiths, merchants, etc. Everyone's role in the life consisted of something and was pretty well-defined. As we have exponetially grown, to the point we are now, there are so many more people and so many more tasks that we do. Back then they had a librarian. Today, we have hundreds of people that somewhat act within that role. There are the people who work for the government that controll the funding for the libaries and such. Maybe this wasn't a good example, but there are a lot of people that almost seem to have no reason to be here. We have gotten so specialized that the meanings we take on in this life have gotten so divided amongst ourselves, that a lot of people don't have much meaning at all.
So, basically, we are faced with a time where we can assume any earthly meaning that we wish. That is one of the better results of being so specialized. Find out what one truly wants and go for it. Be happy before you do it, and be happy while you are doing it. Just be here now. I'm not saying just hang around and party (unless that is really what you want to do), but choose some short term and long term goals and go for them. Don't be happy only when you accomplish them, be happy when you are working on accomplishing them. That's where life becomes fun. (you only get what you make of it)

If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Amateur Mycologist

Loc: Arizona
    #1318713 - 02/19/03 08:21 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I like to think of the brain as a muscle, and it can get stronger in two ways.

One is simply by doing things to continually increase your mental ability. Use your brain. Never stop learning. Studies have been done that show adults who continue learning and using their brain throughout their lives are more likely to maintain their mental ability when they are much older.

The other way it can get stronger is in being able to "deal with things." I guess this could be considered the emotional strength of your brain. Every hardship you face, every time you think you're going to go crazy but don't, increases the emotional strength of the brain. I feel that taking psychadelics has helped to increase the emotional strength of my brain as well.

Basically, it comes with time.

Outside factors have a great influence on your emotional strength, too. Sitting down with a nice, warm, dark cup of coffee and watching the smoke from an incense stick swirl and dance through the air makes me feel ready to handle anything. When my apartment is nice and clean and organized, I feel that my emotional strength is increased as well.

Just keep your brain in shape! What drives you crazy one day you might be able to simply shrug off the next!

Loc: Lost in the Patterns
Re: Keeping one's head [Re: Strumpling]
    #1319240 - 02/19/03 12:17 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Perfect.  :grin: 

need that cash to feed them jones.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Incense

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology