Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
My cakes are mad at me...!!!
    #1317552 - 02/18/03 07:28 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Allright, my cakes are pissing me off. I birthed my first one over three weeks ago, on super bowl sunday. It is now doing the worst as far as growth. Over the past two weeks I have birthed 8 1/2 pint jars of PF fully colonized cakes. The colonization and innoculation stages went by without a hitch, however I have had pins on my cakes for over two weeks and they are growing very poorly. The pins are showing very slow to NO growth whatsoever. Out of the 8 cakes, six have had pins on the for two weeks or more. I have a bunch of pins on some cakes, fewer on others, but the biggest shroom I have gotten was two inches long, and it didn't even reach maturity. Some pins will take off all of a sudden, but will eventually stop growing, and their heads will turn black and abort. I know you get a lot of aborts with PF cakes, but it's been over two weeks with pins, and the biggest shroom I've gotten so far is only 2 inches long?! Im really not very happy about this. All conditions are optimal, high humidity, air flow from air pump and bubbler, aquarium heater that keeps terrarium at 75* F constantly. And two of my cakes look like they got attacked by green mold, the one was for sure infected, the other prolly is, but may make it. I cut the one cake that went bad in half and threw away the bad half, and peroxided the bottom and set it on a piece of new aluminum foil in the hopes that it will recover. The other I peroxided the bad spot and am praying that its only a lil bruising and not the dreaded green.

The only thing I can think of that is causing my woes is that instead of using brown rice flour, I just used cooked brown rice without vermiculite in it as my substrate. I noticed when I cut open my infected cake, that it appeared that a great deal of the rice inside was still pretty hard and clumped together, but with a network of white growing between it. Could it be that the mycacellium is having a hard time digesting the rice, and in return the pins are using up more food than the mycacellium can digest, and thus are stalling after they run out of food? I don't know what to do at this point, I guess I'll just keep doing what Im doing, but this pisses me off. I think I'll be starting a new batch soon, different strain and substrate for sure. Perhaps they'll turn out better.

PS if they are having a hard time digesting the substrate, do you think over time they'll do a better job breaking it down? (With the end result being a healthier, more bountiful second flush? That is, if they don't get contaminated, which ISN'T really supposed to be happening to fully colonized cakes...)

Edited by biglo (02/18/03 07:30 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: My cakes are mad at me...!!! *DELETED* [Re: biglo]
    #1317571 - 02/18/03 07:35 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

Offlinemike
iHugTrees

Re: My cakes are mad at me...!!! [Re: poke smot!]
    #1317601 - 02/18/03 07:55 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

poke you wouldnt happen to have an address to thaat tek would you?

--------------------
Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
-Albert Einstein

OfflineHexum311
SmartNewb

Loc: NOYFB (new state)
Re: My cakes are mad at me...!!! [Re: poke smot!]
    #1317715 - 02/18/03 08:57 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, if using whole brown rice, simmering it for a bit is nearly a must, a friend of mine tells me at least. He has done the tek before, my aquaintance however is just now experimenting with it. He will try and let you know how it goes.... :laugh:

--------------------
"The shade is a tool, a device, a saviors seceret try... and look up to the sky..... but my eyes burn"
-Chino Moreno, the Deftones
peace
-Hex

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Re: My cakes are mad at me...!!! [Re: Hexum311]
    #1318301 - 02/19/03 06:12 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I cooked the brown rice in my mix beforehand, then PC'd it. Please let me know how you freind's grow turned out. Finally, is there any way to make these cakes more productive?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation