Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemdog
Md?g
genetic engineering
    #1316983 - 02/18/03 01:05 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, you know how they use genetic engineering in experiments such as the " Glowing Tobacco Plant ", by putting foreign DNA (lighting bugs light DNA) into isolated bacterial plasmids. Is this possible with mushrooms? Could you make Mushrooms glow, or could you take Psilocyben and put it's productive DNA into a tomatto plant? Here is a good refrence to what i am talking about : genetic engineering
- Tobacco Plant with Lightning Bugs "light" DNA inserted into it.

--------------------
-Md?g

Edited by mdog (02/18/03 01:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: genetic engineering [Re: mdog]
    #1316992 - 02/18/03 01:07 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Theoretically, yes to both questions.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Invisiblemdog
Md?g
Re: genetic engineering [Re: Joshua]
    #1317005 - 02/18/03 01:11 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

very interesting.... does anyone know of any links to any new experiments being done with genetic engineering? I have heard of some new experiments with fruits and vegitables about making them more resistant to diese

--------------------
-Md?g

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1317048 - 02/18/03 01:29 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

maybe in our lifetime, but as for the home hobbyist doing anything of this proportion.. it's simply impossible to even toy with now. DNA experiments require hundreds and thousands of dollars in laboratory equipment, and would probably even require the genome for the specie be decoded.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Anonymous

#1317080 - 02/18/03 01:40 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

why not engineer bacteria to produce psilocybin, and raise them in huge bioreactors? woohoo... or just engineer agaricus mushrooms to make psilocybin or something. i've always wondered what the DEA would do if someone engineered regular lawn grass to produce cocaine or THC.... hmm.... i do think that they'd be pretty fucked as far as enforcement goes.

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1317118 - 02/18/03 01:59 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

theres already a glowing mushroom Panellus stipticus nature beat you to it.

--------------------
er

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

#1317228 - 02/18/03 02:43 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

the problem is that a eukaryotic cell (like the ones in mushrooms) would not use the plasmid. You would have to engineer a plasmid with a eukaryotic promoter. The plasmid in question is the pGLO plasmid, I believe. There are problably dozens of others commercially available, but try doing a search for pGLO and engineering prokaryotic plasmids for eukaryotic transcription. The equipment wouldn't cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. You could probably do it in your bathroom a sh*t load of times with 30,000 or less. Also alot of these proteins need sugars and UV light to make something glow. They've also done it with mice. And as far as making a plant or any other organism make psylocibin or any other chem, it would be alot harder than just introducing some genes. Most of these "special" chems are secondary metabolites. They are not being produced for the organism. They are the byproduct of some other biological process. So one would have to introduce that whole process most likely. Plus, do we know that these mushrooms are making this stuff from scratch? There are examples of psychedelic toads that get their chems from eating ants and adjusting that in their metabolism. So the toads don't make their chems from scratch and; therefore, can't produce their chems without the ants. You would have to provide whatever organism with these "substrates" to the chems. hope this helps a little.

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: genetic engineering [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #1317255 - 02/18/03 02:54 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

oops, well I just read that we are already talking about eukaryotes, so that wouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I still think it's good info so I'll leave it up.

Invisiblemdog
Md?g
Re: genetic engineering [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #1318069 - 02/19/03 12:37 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for all the great feedback
raaatd - i was never planning to do it just wondering.
Well here s a fw links about this i was looknig at. I find it very intesting.
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Stealth_20Pot
http://www.smokedot.org/story/2002/5/2/45026/36835
i would post more as i find them but i have to go
peace

--------------------
-Md?g

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1318147 - 02/19/03 01:46 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

www.sporeworks.com are selling syringes for a glow in the dark strain. i think they dont fruit though

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order