Home | Community | Message Board

Radical Mycology Book by Chthaeus Press
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemtglu
Hundredaire

Loc: California
Maintenance Question
    #1316549 - 02/18/03 11:45 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Okay, my friend has a 10 jars going, and he had two quick questions about two of his fastest-growing jars.  First, he has this one:

Notice how most of it is colonized except for the stuff near the bottom?  My friend wants to flip it, and he was just wondering if this is the right time/any precautions he should take to avoid contams. 

Second, he has this jar:

The arrows are just from when he was showing his friend the bluing from bruising, which he assumes is a sign of healthy, well-developing cake.  Look at it from an angle to see if better.  With this one, he says that near the top, it looks like the dry verm has kind of fallen on to the cake, because it has colonized pretty much everywhere except that top layer (check out the right side, at the top, where it does colonize all the way up there).  Is it common for this happen?  If it is, he's planning on waiting a week to let if fully colonize, then he's gonna birth it.  See any problems with his plans?

P.S. He knocked up his jars on Feb 5, maybe a little word of encouragement telling him that those jars look damn good for a first grow ...?  :tongue: 

--------------------
" I think Pringles' initial intention was to make tennis balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But Pringles is a laid-back company. They said "Fuck it. Cut em up." "

-Mitch Hedberg

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Maintenance Question [Re: mtglu]
    #1316566 - 02/18/03 11:49 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I think your friends jars look fantastic!

flip them and let them finish up, birth them,
dunk them and then put them in your terrarium
and you're golden, homey.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineFocusHawaii
Keeper of theMagic Garden

Loc: Canada
Re: Maintenance Question [Re: afoaf]
    #1316575 - 02/18/03 11:51 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Ur doing 100 times better than me! i innoced on the super bowl weekend and 15 have signs, 2-5 are covering :smile:.

OfflineSlipstream
Chagrined

Loc: Thither
Re: Maintenance Question [Re: afoaf]
    #1316578 - 02/18/03 11:52 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Looking very good, extremely healthy. What strain is your friend growing?

Offlinemtglu
Hundredaire

Re: Maintenance Question [Re: Slipstream]
    #1316592 - 02/18/03 11:56 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

My homie saw through the bullshit about all the different strains and realized that for a first grow, there's really nothing wrong with Matias Romero (PF). He's planning on doing the 1/2 pint to quart neglect tek, for a first grow to get experience with cakes and low maintenance, and then this summer he plans on casing.

--------------------
" I think Pringles' initial intention was to make tennis balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But Pringles is a laid-back company. They said "Fuck it. Cut em up." "

-Mitch Hedberg

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #1316699 - 02/18/03 12:43 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

looks like you still have the tape on the holes on lid.
un tape them....and flip them.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: Maintenance Question [Re: Roadkill]
    #1316777 - 02/18/03 01:39 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

NICE!!!!!.........and do what roadkill says.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #1316819 - 02/18/03 01:59 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Soochi suggests trying to case one or two of your jars: Get yourself a small two quart Rubbermaid Roughneck container (opaque, looks like a large loaf pan with a lid) Get some peat moss and vermiculite (sta-green or miracle grow brand) mix equal parts peat and verm and add enough bottled water to wet the casing mix (wet, but not soppy wet and definitely not muddy) pack this mix in a quart jar cover the lids with foil and steam or PC for an hour (let cool completely). Wash the rubbermaid container with soap and hot water, dry and spray with lysol then wipe completely clean with paper towels (use one sheet per job). Put a half inch (roughly) of casing mix in the bottom of the container, cover with the lid. Wash your hands, dry and take your cakes out of the jars, place on a clean area. Wash and sterilzed a sharp kitchen knife (serrated if possible) and slice the cakes about a quarter of an inch horizontally (you should have rounds, Soochi reccomends slicing cakes rather than crumbling because they result in a more even colonization and pin, and when harvested the fruits don't leave a gaping hole in the casing.) Remove the cover off of the container and place the sliced cake rounds on the casing layer, crumble any other small pieces of cake and fill in the spaces between the rounds (doesn't have to be complete, this is why you should at least use two cakes per container). sterilize a small teaspoon with lysol, dry, then spoon the casing mix over the cake rounds loosly ( you should have small valleys in the casing, use your spoon to make them if it looks too flat) the casing should be around a quarter to a little less than a half an inch, but it doesn't have to be exact. Mist the casing with Hydrogen peroxide and water mix (a good splash of hydro in a spray bottle will suffice). Cover the container with the lid and using large pieces of aluminum foil, wrap the container carefully (you don't want to disturb the casing) with the foil, insuring the container is completely wrapped and in the dark (rubbermaid containers are not as opaque as they look, they still allow a lot of light to penetrate). Place the container in a dark warm space suitable for mycelium growth (room temp is fine). After three to four days (depending on strain) check the casing layer, you should be able to see the mycelium poking throught the casing, this is the time to patch case if needed. Soochi stresses that you shouldn't be constantly checking the containers since they are wrapped in foil and you are more likely to disturb the casing layer, be patient. Once the mycelium has more or less evenly come throught the casing layer (you don't want it to colonize the casing at all) Induce pinning. Place in a terrarium (a large multi gallon rubbermaid roughneck container that's clear works perfect) Soochi doesn't see the need to cut any holes in the terrarium, but if you want you can and then stuff the holes with poylyfill (available in craft stores). It seems like a waste to ruin a perfectly good storage bin, plus it's more stealthy in case you need to move your grow. All of the supplies and ingredients can be bought at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or Lowe's. Whew! thankfully Soochi is a fast typer! Give casing a go, at first Soochi thought that casing was difficult, but found it to be very easy, they produce constant results and slightly higher yields if done right, remember to be clean and use your head.(lysol and antibacterial hand lotion, isopropyl alcohol and hydogen peroxide is a must) He also no longer messes with cakes unless he wants a nice ornament on his desk. He has since moved to dung and straw, but thats another session. Hope this gave you some initiative, give a go!.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: Maintenance Question [Re: sirreal]
    #1316820 - 02/18/03 01:59 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #1316826 - 02/18/03 02:03 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

oh, and if you wanna flip, i also suggest taking the tape off (for air exchange) and placing the jars on a wire rack, again for better air exchange. If you don't wanna case (and why wouldn't you, I basically told you what to do) then go to mushmush.nl, they have an excellent descripitive and illustrated invitro negelect tek using quart jars.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Maintenance Question [Re: soochi]
    #1316843 - 02/18/03 02:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

oh, and if you wanna flip, i also suggest taking the tape off (for air exchange) and placing the jars on a wire rack, again for better air exchange. If you don't wanna case (and why wouldn't you, I basically told you what to do) then go to mushmush.nl, they have an excellent descripitive and illustrated invitro negelect tek using quart jars.

He might not want to case the Matias Romero (aka PF classic) since they don't do very well cased.
I have seen only a few people get half way decent results from them being cased in the past year and a half.

When he's ready to move away from using cakes...I suggest the horse poo tek

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinemtglu
Hundredaire

#1316864 - 02/18/03 02:24 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks a huge amount for all the help, especially that beast of a post on casing, that will definately come in handy in case my friend feels like experimenting and casing a jar or two. My friend's been taking the tape off the jars as he goes along; if a jar seems to slow down, he'll take off a tape strip or two. Those ones got along pretty far without even needing the tape off! He flipped 'em, and put caps from handles of Smirnoff under them to keep them off the ground. By the way, for anyone who thinks that growing mushrooms (or at least incubating them) is hard, know that my friend's incubator is a halogen light shining over the jars, which are all in the original Ball box. All he has is a pillowcase over it to keep in some heat.

EDIT: I realized that question is still hanging out there: Has it ever happened to any of you that the dry verm layer has fallen down into view, whereas before it was hidden by the lid? Or even if you haven't seen it, you can say it's normal? And the blue light bruising is fine?

--------------------

-Mitch Hedberg

Edited by mtglu (02/18/03 02:29 PM)

OfflineHexum311
SmartNewb

Loc: NOYFB (new state)
    #1317747 - 02/18/03 09:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I  agree Road. My aquaintance has had excellent luck with matias romero cakes. His first attempt at an MR casing however.... ended up producing 10 grams of dried penicilin. He found that using rye berries as a substrate for his first casings worked excellent. by what he tells me, successfully colonizing a jar of rye berries, provided the proper tek, is actually easier than getting a pf jar to colonize.  3 or 4 quart jars in a casing works nice for a first time casing. He has a creeper casing going with 4 quart jars as a substrate. I will try and convince him to gimme some pics! After ya do a casing like that or two, then find some horsie poop. My aqaintance tells me that its better to move in steps.... although jumping right into the bulk teks sounds very tempting, and in fact could pay off, better to do a more managable casing, then take the next step... poo!
:smirk:

--------------------
"The shade is a tool, a device, a saviors seceret try... and look up to the sky..... but my eyes burn"
-Chino Moreno, the Deftones
peace
-Hex

OfflineGthirteens
GovernmentalStrain 13
Re: Maintenance Question [Re: Hexum311]
    #1317857 - 02/18/03 10:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I've practically attempted the poo tek for my first time, and I'm having mad success!

I've only been able to pin one SOS cup (which yielded a whopping 4 mushies totaling .3 g's dried) which pinned from mycelium that I somehow rescued from a contaminated aquarium casing attempt (I thought I knew what I was doing, but I didn't then started reading up on the shroomery) and so when I got 9 1/2 pint brf jars fully colonized with the creepers I decided to jump right into horse poo spawning! I had done all my homework and it really didn't seem that difficult!

I had 4 tuppewares full of poo and spawn waiting to colonize. 3 of them made it to 100% colonization while the last one got contaminated! That's pretty good odds in my book.

Each one got colonized at different times, because it waited like 2 days in between each spawning before I did the next spawning. My first tuppeware to reach 100% I cased and let it colonize, patched, colonized some more, patched, and colonized some more... the end result was what I thought to a perfectly colonized casing layer so I birthed it. I didn't have any perlite, or any other means of humidification. I just put the tuppeware in a bigger fruiting tuppeware at pinning temps and began to fan atleast 3 times a day.

Pins started coming from the side but not in the middle, even though it looks like there is a ton of mycelium spots everywhere, and it just looks like it's about to pin like crazy, but it still hasn't.

Here's what's weird... my second tuppeware was cased 3 days after the 1st one, but 1 day after I birthed the 1st one the 2nd one seemed to be having pins starting to form even though it had been in my incubator. So I decided to put it in the pinning chamber, and my 3rd tuppeware hadn't been cased but just reached 100% colonization so I decided to plop the whole poo cake out on a lid to pin PF style!

Anyways, my 2nd tuppeware that accidentally started pinning has started to pin like crazy now since it's been in the fruiting chamber for a couple days now! I'm getting 20+ pins now... it's just weird how the casing that accidentally started pinning before I thought it was ready is doing better than the one I thought was done perfectly!

Weird how things work out sometimes! I'm hoping this big poo cake starts to pin like mad! I already see a couple pins!

Peace

--------------------
Nostalgiaholic -

Fresh Times Past Age Like Wine,
More and More Precious All the Time

We have found they can intoxicate,
Blurring the Reality of our State

As I pluck them off my Aged Mental Vine,
Fresh Times Past Taste Like Wine

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation