Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepinophile
Cubensis Inquisitor
 User Gallery
Re: Light discussion [Re: Mad_Hatter2004]
    #13218931 - 09/19/10 03:49 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

According to current accepted scientific theory/consensus (as close to fact as science comes) mushroom/fungi do not use light for energy,.  It could be that some unknown species of fungi perfecti  could use light for energy but so far that hasn't been proven, esp. for edible fungi and cubes, etc.  That would be like saying humans use light for energy and we do not, we use light for biological process (ex. creating vit D), but not for energy.  Both humans and fungi use food for energy.  Fungi/mushroom do use light for biological process, but, not for energy (which would be photosynthesis).

Mushrooms grow toward light for the same reasons plants grow toward light: "phototropism"; not for energy.  Mushrooms and plants grow toward light so they can absorb more of it, but that doesn't mean mushrooms are using the light for energy, they use it for biological process, but not for energy. 

Assuming mushrooms use light for energy simply because they grow toward it is a logical fallacy called (in Latin) "Post hoc ergo propter hoc" or (in English) "after this, therefore because of this".  The reason it's a fallacy is there is no proof, it's an assumption that because Y happened after X, therefore X must have caused Y; which of course isn't a sound argument.

Plants and mushrooms grow most in the night and early morning.  But that doesn't mean fungi/mushrooms doesn't need light.

FWIW, here are some references about phototropism, photosensitivity and non-photosynthetic reactions in fungi/mushrooms:

This first reference shows talk about light inhibition of shiitake and how button mushrooms are grown in the dark.  Some peole will say shiitake do better in light even on agar, and during spawn run, but according to experimental method (i.e., scientific method) shiitake can be hindered by light (see quote below).  I hand typed this quote, so i hope people fine it helpful.

1. "Mushroom biology: concise basics and current developments"
By Philip G. Miles, Shu-ting Chang
World Scientific Publishing Company (1997)

Quote:

d. Light

As non-photosynthetic organisms the influence of light upon fungi comes as a surprise to some, but there are numerous examples of such influence. There are reports that vegetative growth of some species on agar may be inhibited by light.  It is a common laboratory practice to grow the mycelium of shiitake mushroom (Lentinula edodes) in the dark to obtain better growth than in light grown cultures.  More frequent is the observation of zones of dense and light hyphal growth, or zones of vegetative growth alternating with zones of sporualation.  Such zonation may also be genetically controlled, as has been shown in Neurospora and Schizophyllum.  The death of fungi in dished places in direct sunlight has also been reported, but, in the absence of experimental studies, this death is probably attributable to excessive temperatures brought about by the sunlight.  Just as high temperature may result in the inability of a species to synthesize a needed vitamin and inhibit mycelial growth, so may strong light induce the same effect by light destruction of vitamins, which may be overcome by the addition of natural mineral, such as yeast extract, which is a rich in vitamins, to the medium.

While phototropic responses in the sporangiophores of Phycomyces and Piloblous of the class Zygomycetes are well known and have been the subject of much experimental study, the light effects of greatest interest in mushroom biology involve the development of the furiting bodies.  Light may trigger the initiation of primordia in some species and be required for the development of other stages of fruiting body development. The positioning of the stipe and pileus, which is essential for the basidiosproes to fall free from the hymenial surface of the gills of the agaric or tubes of the polypore, has been shown in a number of mushrooms to be controlled by phototropic reposes.  It is well known that the button mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) is grown in caves or mushroom houses in the dark.  This is because light is actually inhibitory to the development of primordia and affect stipe elongation and pileus expansion of this spices.

It should also be mentioned that light in the ultra violate region of 200-300 nm [i.e., UV-C; bad stuff] has an effect upon vegetative growth.  The effect may be lethal or it may be to induce mutations [Fastfred as written about mutation via UV-C of cubes] since these are the wavelengths absorbed by DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid).  The effects of ultraviolet light can be revered by exposure to visible light in the range of 360-420 nm [i.e., UV-A to PAR range blue light].  This process is called photoreactivation.  These wavelengths (360-420 nm) activate an enzyme which splits the thymine and cytosine dimers, which are formed as a consequence of the ultraviolet radiation creating covalent bonds between adjacent pyrimidine nucleotides.  The dimers inhibit normal DNA synthesis, and thus in photoreactivation the enzymes that splits the dimer permits normal DNA synthesis to take place.

2. "Light regulation of metabolic pathways in fungi"
Doris Tisch, Monika Schmoll
Applied microbiology and biotechnology, Volume: 85, Issue: 5, pp. 1259-1277, (2009)
(full text) http://www.biomedsearch.com/attachments/00/19/91/58/19915832/253_2009_Article_2320.pdf

3. "Mycomorphology Part 2: Basidiocarp Keeps its Balance"
Peter Werner
Mycena News, March 2003
(full text) http://www.mykoweb.com/articles/mycomorphology_2.html

4. "Perception and response to gravity in higher fungi--a critical appraisal"
Moore D
New Phytol. 1991;117:3-23
(full text) http://www.fungi4schools.org/GBF_web/Teacher_Notes/Shop-bought_mushrooms/gravity_reviewNewPhyt.pdf

5. "Successful outdoor cultivation of a photosensitive wild strain of edible Pleurotus ostreatus (Fr.) Kummel (Oyster mushroom) from the Western Ghats region of Goa"
Kamat, N. M., Desilva N.V. &  Phadte K.R.
Nature Precedings : hdl:10101/npre.2010.4213.1 : Posted 12 Feb 2010
(full text) http://precedings.nature.com/documents/4213/version/1/files/npre20104213-1.pdf

Kind of on this topic is bioluminescent mushrooms, which, just like plants, emit photons (particles of light).  For plants this is called "chlorophyll fluorescence" and is in the red and far range range of PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation; 400-700nm).  Chi floucucnse is a method to measure rate of photosynthesis in plants and some bioluminescent fungi use the emitted photons to interact with some files, etc.

6. "Phototropism, Bioluminescence, and the Diptera"
John M. Sivinski
Florida Entomologist (vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 282. (Sept. 1998)
(full text) http://www.fcla.edu/FlaEnt/fe81p282.html

--------------------
What does a ninja drink?  WHA-TAH!

"The important thing is not to stop questioning..." Albert Einstein

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal"  Albert Pike

Edited by pinophile (09/19/10 04:04 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepinophile
Cubensis Inquisitor
 User Gallery
Re: Light discussion [Re: HerbBaker]
    #13218954 - 09/19/10 03:56 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

HerbBaker said:

Does anyone know the equivalent of 65000k in nanometers?

You can't covert from Kelvin to nanometers with accuracy.  Kelvin is a poor way to quantify a light source used for growing fungi or plants; Kelvin is a measure of color temp on a black sphere.  Nanometers tell us what wavelength of light, which is what we should use.  Higher Kelvin means bluer light, thus a range of 400-500 nm (blue range) or 400-600 (blue to green to yellow range) would be ideal if it's true that 6500 Kelvin is ideal.

If you see my post above this one read the quoted section about "photoreactivation" of fungi using 360-420 nm if the fungi was exposed to UV-C light.  Using namanotmers is the standard method of wavelength quantification for biological processes.

--------------------

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal"  Albert Pike

Edited by pinophile (09/19/10 03:57 PM)

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Light discussion [Re: pinophile]
    #13218985 - 09/19/10 04:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

yeah but dont we use 6500 Kelvin lighting because its the closest we indoor mushroom cultivators get to natural sunlight? (spectrum speaking):sun::sunny:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlinepinophile
Cubensis Inquisitor
 User Gallery
Re: Light discussion [Re: 13shrooms]
    #13219007 - 09/19/10 04:12 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hey,

No, it doesn't tell us enough about the color of photons (qualification) in the light, and 6,500 K is not what the sun emits all day.  On average natural light is mostly green, not blue.  In the morning sunlight has lots of far red light and the same in the evening.  The best to way mimic natural light is to use a light source that emits about less blue, more green and medium red; to find that data on a lamp we need to look at the SPD (Spectral Power Distribution) of the lamp.

Not only that but seasonally sun light changes in predominance of wavelengths.

Looking at the SPD is the best way to see what the lamp emits color wise, Kelvin is too clumsy and doesn't give us enough info.  It seems true ~6,500 K works well for mushrooms, but, that doesn't tell us what the mushrooms are getting light-color wise.  The best way to quantify this would be to use a spectroradiometer to qualify/quantify the wavelengths of light, which is how SPDs are created.

Using Kelvin is fine is that is all one can use, but using nm to qualify light is much better and is what to use for biological use of light.

--------------------

Edited by pinophile (09/19/10 04:40 PM)

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Re: Light discussion [Re: pinophile]
    #13220803 - 09/19/10 09:54 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for responding!

If mushrooms grow more at night, then you need to look at the spectrum of moonlight.

I have read that moonlight is 420-470 nanometers and sunlight runs from about 290nm (the bottom end of UVB) to about 760nm (the top end of the visible light spectrum.)

Folks have been using blue (470nm) LEDS to simulate moonlight in aquariums with great results.

I started using blue leds recently and I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I plan on doing a few side by side tests with various lights to compare.

I think 6500k fluorescence contain a lot higher light frequencies that cubes simply can't see and don't respond to.

Perhaps cubes utilize the blue light 24 hours a day and possibly lower uv bands during the day period also.

Maybe create a blue/purple LED combo for day and a straight blue array for night simulation.

Edited by HerbBaker (09/19/10 09:59 PM)

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #13220851 - 09/19/10 10:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think they use the suns various radiation (during the day at least) more than the spectrum matters and respond to lights due to circadian rhythms but thats complete speculation on my part. :shrug:

:stoner:

--------------------
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

#13221071 - 09/19/10 10:56 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

It's possible higher light frequencies (660nm) have an effect on maturing fruit-bodies that isn't exhibited in primordia formation, i.e., spore formation.
Could a red sky in the early evening or morning trigger spore maturity? :shrug:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #13221654 - 09/20/10 07:56 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Most of us are not growing outdoors.  For indoor growing 6500K lamps will give the best results, and that means most pins, meatiest fruits, and shortest time from initiation to harvest. This is based on side by side comparison with various commercially available luminaries over the years. When I've said most growth occurs during the dark cycle, that's based on indoor growing and simply measuring the mushrooms twice daily as they grow.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Re: Light discussion [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13221889 - 09/20/10 09:39 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I know your stance on this topic Roger. I think your missing my point.

Offlinepeso
Stranger
Re: Light discussion [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #20620299 - 09/26/14 06:16 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

In reading the manuals and tutorials, lighting times seem all over the map.
Some say a couple of hours a few times a day and others say 12 on and 12 off.
Is there anything definitive for each stage of primordial growth, pinning, fruiting?
Thanks

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Light discussion [Re: peso]
    #20620306 - 09/26/14 06:21 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

The circadian rhythm is best for all stages.  12 on / 12 off.

--------------------

Offlinepeso
Stranger
    #20621970 - 09/26/14 03:37 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

If using florescent lights, should the light be direct or indirect?

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #20622143 - 09/26/14 04:11 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

as close as you want without adding any heat to your fc.  :thumbup:

I colonize in indirect sunlight coming into the room window to establish circadian rhythms then fruit with direct 65kelven lights.  :sporedrop:

shop lights, lamps etc..  mushies arent to picky about the source. :smirk:

--------------------

Offlinepeso
Stranger
    #20624407 - 09/27/14 04:38 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks.  I'm using very diffused natural light (lots of shading outside the window) and 2' florescents with 6500K ratings. 
By "colonizing" are you saying that you don't grow out the mycelium in total darkness, but allow natural circadian light during that phase?
Many thanks for the input.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #20624415 - 09/27/14 04:47 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

:bigyesnod:

I use light of some kind the whole time :thumbup:

no matter what your using or how you prefer..

just not direct sunlight due to heat unless you are initiating pinning with 15min a day direct and the rest indirect.  Ive read thats beneficial for triggering pinning somewhere on these bords.. :smirk:

:goodluck:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order