Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: The Vapor]
    #13161264 - 09/07/10 06:18 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Some Church burned a whole lot of harry potter books sometime ago..The witter didn't care, as they had to buy the books....  :facepalm: Ghee, if 19 people can do that in one day..I would hate to piss them off....

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefapjack
Title
 User Gallery

Loc: Central New Jersey
Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: Bodhi of Ankou] * 2
    #13161265 - 09/07/10 06:18 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

The Muslim religion is not one of the most peaceful religions there is, you are an idiot.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: Poid]
    #13161280 - 09/07/10 06:21 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think the second part of your cite, post Chaplinsky, rather takes non-personalisms out of the equation.  To wit:
Quote:

In Street v. New York (1969), the court overturned a statute prohibiting flag-burning and verbally abusing the flag, holding that mere offensiveness does not qualify as "fighting words". Similarly, in Cohen v. California (1971), Cohen's wearing a jacket that said "fuck the draft" did not constitute uttering fighting words since there had been no "personally abusive epithets"; the Court held the phrase to be protected speech. In later decisions—Gooding v. Wilson (1972) and Lewis v. New Orleans (1974)—the Court invalidated convictions of individuals who cursed police officers, finding that the ordinances in question were unconstitutionally overbroad.

Which has pretty much nothing to do with the discussion at hand.  I don't believe there is one single idiot arguing it is illegal to burn the Koran.  And there only seems to be one arguing that it is a capital offense.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: fapjack]
    #13161281 - 09/07/10 06:21 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

fapjack said:

That's fuckin' awesome! :highfive:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: zappaisgod]
    #13161287 - 09/07/10 06:22 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
I think the second part of your cite, post Chaplinsky, rather takes non-personalisms out of the equation.  To wit:
Quote:

In Street v. New York (1969), the court overturned a statute prohibiting flag-burning and verbally abusing the flag, holding that mere offensiveness does not qualify as "fighting words". Similarly, in Cohen v. California (1971), Cohen's wearing a jacket that said "fuck the draft" did not constitute uttering fighting words since there had been no "personally abusive epithets"; the Court held the phrase to be protected speech. In later decisions—Gooding v. Wilson (1972) and Lewis v. New Orleans (1974)—the Court invalidated convictions of individuals who cursed police officers, finding that the ordinances in question were unconstitutionally overbroad.

Which has pretty much nothing to do with the discussion at hand.  I don't believe there is one single idiot arguing it is illegal to burn the Koran.  And there only seems to be one arguing that it is a capital offense.

Yeah well I didn't read this thread before I posted that, I was just responding to this post, particularly the portion in bold:

Quote:

Champion des Champignons said:
You're right of course, if someone knowingly provokes someone else, it's not their fault if the provokee reacts to the provocation.
I forgot, no-one is responsible for the consequences of their own actions these days.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: Brainiac]
    #13161290 - 09/07/10 06:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Brainiac said:
Some Church burned a whole lot of harry potter books sometime ago..The witter didn't care, as they had to buy the books....  :facepalm: Ghee, if 19 people can do that in one day..I would hate to piss them off....

I would like to piss them off very much.  Piss them off, make them show their hand, watch them and then fucking cut them down in ribbons when they make a move.

--------------------

Offlinepsilyguy
 User Gallery

#13161473 - 09/07/10 06:57 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
For the record, I personally hate the Muslim religion, and have no problem with people burning Korans in front of Muslims, but I think that the law considers such behavior to be fighting words.

it would be up to the court to decide that, but i would argue that this behavior is not an example fighting words. there is no "personally abusive epithet" being used. it is not a personal attack on a single person. it is an expression of someone's religious belief that the quran is evil and a protest against the idea that fear can keep someone quiet. this guy isn't trying to get the country attacked, even if thats the result, he is trying to make a statement.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: psilyguy]
    #13161502 - 09/07/10 07:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

A statement we all should make.  An "I am Spartacus" moment.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #13161590 - 09/07/10 07:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think if no one paid any attention to them, no one would know about it and no one would get upset. 

:shrug:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: Learyfan]
    #13161607 - 09/07/10 07:30 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Indeed.  I believe that the entire cartoon controversy occurred several months after the actual cartoons were published and some asshole imams felt a need to stir up shit.  So they got a buncha rioting Muslims killed.  Nice job.

--------------------

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: Learyfan]
    #13161648 - 09/07/10 07:39 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
I think if no one paid any attention to them, no one would know about it and no one would get upset. 

:shrug:

that's my point. let him burn his books if he wants, just don't go
HEY MIDDLE EAST! LOOK WHAT THIS GUY JUST DID! WE FILMED IT, WE THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO SEE IT.:biggrin:
HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES, HUH!? LOL!!!!11:whoo:

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

Offlinepsilyguy
 User Gallery

Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: zappaisgod]
    #13163225 - 09/08/10 12:41 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Indeed.  I believe that the entire cartoon controversy occurred several months after the actual cartoons were published and some asshole imams felt a need to stir up shit.  So they got a buncha rioting Muslims killed.  Nice job.

yeah the first time South Park drew mohammad no one noticed that cared. I don't know how long after the cartoon aired that someone stirred shit up, but then Matt and Trey made fun of it with ep. 200 and 201, and were immediately bombarded with death threats and what not just because there was so much more attention towards the issue.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: luvdemshrooms] * 1
    #13163300 - 09/08/10 12:58 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
I suspect many of the posters here saying he shouldn't do it, would have no problem with an American flag being burned.

What a ridiculous assumption.  I hate to see the flag burned, and as with the Qu'ran burning, I support the right to do it while considering those who do to be dicks of the highest caliber.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: Silversoul]
    #13163829 - 09/08/10 06:53 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Good for you. I still suspect I'm right on target.

And it's not an assumption. It's a reasoned position based on reading threads here for several years and based on day to day observations of people in general.

I also support the right to do so, and I consider those who do to be dicks of the highest caliber.

None of which changes that fact that many people are hypocritical assholes whos position changes based on the day, the time, their mood and the phase of the moon.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineMind Transcribing
Candy Baron
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost in Tanaris
    #13164047 - 09/08/10 08:29 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think what he's doing is  radical and stupid, but fuck all the Muslims threatening violence. I'm sick of their terroristic hold over America; this is the land of free expression , burn what you like.

--------------------

InvisibleFleadh
Eh No....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ireland Flag
Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: Mind Transcribing]
    #13164138 - 09/08/10 08:59 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Man, Book burning? for fucking real?

Do we learn nothing from history?

Book burning was most notably done on  April 6, 1933 . To quote wikipedia "The Nazi book burnings were a campaign conducted by the authorities of Nazi Germany to ceremonially burn all books in Germany which did not correspond with Nazi ideology."

Honestly, if you see burning books as simply the right to destroy an object which you have purchased you're a fucking idiot.

--------------------
Friendships have come and gone but I always regret the girls I didn't bang

I just dont really care what you think

OfflineMind Transcribing
Candy Baron
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost in Tanaris
Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: Fleadh]
    #13164149 - 09/08/10 09:04 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Fleadh said:

Book burning was most notably done on  April 6, 1933 . To quote wikipedia "The Nazi book burnings were a campaign conducted by the authorities of Nazi Germany to ceremonially burn all books in Germany which did not correspond with Nazi ideology."

Honestly, if you see burning books as simply the right to destroy an object which you have purchased you're a fucking idiot.

Whoa there, I never said that. I said burning books is a right of expression, which it is. Nice personal attack though.

Burning books, flags etc. are rights of expression and a form of non-violent protest. Are you equating all book burners to Nazis? That is flat out ridiculous.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: Fleadh]
    #13164262 - 09/08/10 09:33 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Fleadh said:

If a bunch of idiots want to burn books, that is their right.

Book burning would only bother me if it was government backed (you know, kind of like the Nazi's).

I'm amazed (although I shouldn't be) that anyone would equate a small group of people burning books as a protest, to the Nazi's burning books as a means of suppressing information and insuring robot like conformity.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleFleadh
Eh No....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ireland Flag
Re: Church to burn Qu'ran [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #13164330 - 09/08/10 09:56 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

Fleadh said:

If a bunch of idiots want to burn books, that is their right.

Book burning would only bother me if it was government backed (you know, kind of like the Nazi's).

I'm amazed (although I shouldn't be) that anyone would equate a small group of people burning books as a protest, to the Nazi's burning books as a means of suppressing information and insuring robot like conformity.

To me its crystal clear that burning books is way way deeper then simply making a protest, especially a book held sacred by millions of people worldwide.

You can view all objects as simply objects without meaning that can be create, owned and destroyed at a whim, and that is your loss, or you can see objects for their religious, historical, areceological, artistic and so on signifigances and respect and cherish those, even if you disagree with what it stands for.

--------------------
Friendships have come and gone but I always regret the girls I didn't bang

I just dont really care what you think

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: midwest
    #13164339 - 09/08/10 10:00 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

fapjack said:

That's fuckin' awesome! :highfive:

Whats fucking awesome is that you guys have no clue about Islam or what really happened on 9-11, lol. Keep drinking the government kool-aid guys.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder