Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshwowsh
growologist

Loc: Deep in the Heart...
No box fan, no dessicant availabe, what to do??
    #2070194 - 11/04/03 03:37 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

So I go to all the places I should have searched, for dessicant. Lowes hardware, Home Depot Hardware, Sherwin Williams paint store, and nothing. Didn't know what the fuck i was talking about (except the guy at home depot, who told me to try sherwin williams). So Any suggestions for other places to try and find dessicant? also, it turns out that fans are seasonal... who knew. So I can't buy a small personal size fan or anything.

My problem is, that I have some aborts, that I probably need to pick off, but I don't have anyway to dry them. what do I do? Can I just let them air dry, in my room with the ceiling fan going pretty much 24 hours a day? and no I really can't just eat them, because theres not enough, and I have a paper to write =]. thanks.

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------
We're all children here, so could we please start acting like it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: No box fan, no dessicant availabe, what to do?? [Re: shwowsh]
    #2070203 - 11/04/03 03:40 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

n/a

Anonymous

#2070216 - 11/04/03 03:47 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

where do you live? how well air drying is going to work will depend on humidity. what the temperature and humidty like in your area right now? if it's hot and sticky and you aren't using an air conditioner, they won't get dry. if it's cold and dry out, and you're got the heat running, there's no need for dessicants at all.

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: No box fan, no dessicant availabe, what to do?? [Re: ]
    #2070237 - 11/04/03 03:55 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Offlineshwowsh
growologist

Re: No box fan, no dessicant availabe, what to do?? [Re: thisone]
    #2070278 - 11/04/03 04:18 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

live in texas... Which is pretty damn humid. which is why I didn't understand when they had no dessicant. there has got to be some somewhere. I took the hygrometer out of my box, and it reports back that the RH in my room is 40-50%.temp is in the high 70's. Humidity outside is more in the higher 50% range. Perhaps i will have to try the light/t-shirt method.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2070418 - 11/04/03 05:22 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

alright... you really can find dessicant anywhere. there's a brand called Damp-Rid that is very popular. it's stocked in every hardware store and wal-mart i've ever been in. it's usually in the paining or household section. ask for it by name. say it's for drying out a closet you're painting.

if you absolutely cannot find it, you can use crystal cat litter. it must be the crystal kind, not the regular. it'll say silica gel in the ingredients (not clay). silica gel is a dessicant that is not quite as effective as damp-rid, but less toxic. it'll work.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #2070425 - 11/04/03 05:25 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

okay, damp rid is calcium carbonate, caco or caco3, anyways its the same thing as Driveway Heat, which can be bought ar any hardware store or automotive center.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Offlinejumpship
lawn boy

#2070447 - 11/04/03 05:29 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i have found damp-rid at loews and i figure since it is a chain that most all of them carry the same things.

deal is it was not in the paint section were i thought it would be and after walking up and down the aisles. i asked a nice fellow if they had any damp-rid and he took me to the cleaning supplies section with the windex, lysol, etc. so you might try again if you did not look there.

otherwise you could put them on a piece of cardboard and stick it in a dark closet. i left town for a bit once after picking a small harvest and did that and when i got back they were dry. they won't get crakerlike (unless you have really low hum.) but it will work until you can sort out the drying problem.

Offlineshwowsh
growologist

Re: No box fan, no dessicant availabe, what to do?? [Re: jumpship]
    #2070494 - 11/04/03 05:42 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

thank a lot for all the suggestions, I'll have to call them all back up and ask for that stuff by name. Some of the employees I talked to weren't the brightest it seemed. And just curious, how long will it take before those aborts start to get bad if left on the cake? I just want to know how much time I got to stall before I can go try and find some.

--------------------

Offlineshwowsh
growologist

#2070542 - 11/04/03 05:55 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Dude, I just called up lowes, and asked about damp-rid, and the guy transferred me, and the lady told me they had it, and told me exactly which aisle it was on... damn, I can't believe that the paint people had no idea what I was talking about. FOR ANYONE CHECKING THE PAINT SECTION FOR DESSICANT, TRY CHECKING THE HOME DECOR AISLE, PAINT DOESN'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT IT. thanks everyone.

So now that i've got that dessicant problem solved, if I just left the shrooms on some papertowels with the ceiling fan blowing for about 24 hours, is that not going to work like putting them on a box fan would?

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: No box fan, no dessicant availabe, what to do?? [Re: ZippoZ]
    #2070587 - 11/04/03 06:05 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

okay, damp rid is calcium carbonate, caco or caco3, anyways its the same thing as Driveway Heat, which can be bought ar any hardware store or automotive center.

damprid is anyhydrous calcium chloride (CaCl2), not calcium carbonate. calcium carbonate is calcite (lime).

it is the same chemical as driveway heat though, but i'm not sure if driveway heat is anhydrous or not. it may not be, in which case it would not work unless heated to drive off the water in the complex first (much like one would do if using epsom salts as a dessicant). have you used driveway heat with success?

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
    #2070706 - 11/04/03 06:34 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah you can put them on top of a dresser or what have you and leave your ceiling fan on. Have the mush on top of a paper towel to absorb moisture.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

OfflineDMJ
creepyatmosphere

Loc: Dungeon
Re: No box fan, no dessicant availabe, what to do?? [Re: SixCee]
    #2070731 - 11/04/03 06:40 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I say take 3 hours of your paycheck, provided you have a job, and splurge for a food dehydrater. Can be bought from Wally World, or J-Mart, for arpund $20-30. Personally, I love the earth, and wouldn't put my scoobs near ANY kind of chemical, especially when the dehydrater does the same job, in the same amount of time, and can be used for other purposes as well! Just be sure to get one that can turn the heating element on or off, or just cut the cable(take all preautions necessary) that leads to the heating element. HINT: It's not the red or white, but the black wire. At least on mine. I cut all 3!! Not at the same time, but I figured red was + and white was -, but it was the black wire, which was only a ground.

--------------------
I come alive in the darkness.

OfflineNovanity1
Student

Re: No box fan, no desiccant availabe, what to do?? [Re: shwowsh]
    #13155389 - 09/06/10 02:22 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Go to the pet store and get the silica gel kitty litter :wink:. It looks like a bunch of blue and white crystals. I got mine from Petco and it works great.

I'm not a fan of damp rid. When damp rid absorbs moisture it breaks apart and turns into water. This causes it all to turn into a solid brick which then becomes ineffective at absorbing moisture. Also, since it turns into water, that water can then be reabsorbed by the shrooms.

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

Re: No box fan, no desiccant availabe, what to do?? [Re: Novanity1]
    #13155396 - 09/06/10 02:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

:facepalm:

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

Offlinebignope
Stranger
Re: No box fan, no desiccant availabe, what to do?? [Re: k00laid]
    #13155412 - 09/06/10 02:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

lol im a noob  but at least i read the date on the post  :stanhopefacepalm:

OfflineHags
The Scientist

Re: No box fan, no desiccant availabe, what to do?? [Re: bignope]
    #13155430 - 09/06/10 02:32 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

use your oven man, heard several posts about people using that and it working just fine. they get that cracker dry everyone likes too

Offlinerave420
open minded
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Vancouver Island
Re: No box fan, no desiccant availabe, what to do?? [Re: Hags]
    #13155672 - 09/06/10 03:32 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

you go spend 50$ on a food dehydrator, or get one from the Salvation Army for 2$.
Best money i ever spend, besides the Pressure Cooker and the Glove box.

They dry your mushrooms to perfect consistency within 24 hours, Why would you want to mess around with kitty litter etc? Seriously, go buy a food dehydrator.

--------------------

we all breathe the same air, drink the same water, and draw our strength from the same giant fireball.

:pm:Help me with my collection (trades only)

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
Re: No box fan, no desiccant availabe, what to do?? [Re: rave420]
    #13155793 - 09/06/10 03:57 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

This thread is almost 7(!) years old.

:tard:

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomshire Flag
Re: No box fan, no desiccant availabe, what to do?? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #13155857 - 09/06/10 04:13 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

:oldman: :oldthread:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies