Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHongosmeester
old sourdough
Male User Gallery
Loc: East Bay (EAST BAY GREASE...
agar with malted barley syrup
    #1314273 - 02/17/03 12:18 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Can I use this instead of malted barley extract in my agar medium ? Any good recipes?
Please any help would be appreciated. this is for my siitake print

--------------------
Don't fuck with me
I'm a postal worker;-)
A zen master once said to me
don't do anything I tell you to do
so i did

<p><a href="http://www.whump.com/dropbox/other/ujname.html">Get yours</a>.</p>

<p>My <a href="http://tinyurl.com/6valr">Unitarian Jihad Name</a> is: <strong>Brother Neutron Bomb of Compassion</strong>.</p>

Edited by Hongosmeester? (02/17/03 01:14 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
Re: agar with malted barley syrup [Re: Hongosmeester]
    #1314358 - 02/17/03 12:54 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Can I use this instead of malted barley extract in my agar medium ? Any good recipes?
Please any help would be appreciated.

A friend was wondering the same thing.
She hasnt been able to find "Malted Barley Extract" and all of the tofu-heads in the health food stores had no clue what she was talking about. She DID see malted barley syrup though....but is it the same thing? Can it be used?

Also, what exactly IS Potatoe Dextrose Extract?
Is it the same thing as Potatoe Starch Flour? Can this be used instead?

How can these ingredients be used with Agar?
We REALLY REALLY need to develope a simple, easy, effective agar recipe that uses ingredients that can easily be found by anyone, and that can be easily obtained by anyone, and that do NOT involve screwing around with cutting up this, and boiling that, and simmering this and that and pouring into the other etc etc.

9 grams of this and 10 grams of that is not that easy for some of us to do....Are there accurate volumic measurements? Like in teaspoons and such?

Expiring minds want to know?

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
Re: agar with malted barley syrup [Re: KingCobWeb]
    #1315047 - 02/17/03 04:58 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Quote:

Please any help would be appreciated.

A friend was wondering the same thing.
She hasnt been able to find "Malted Barley Extract" and all of the tofu-heads in the health food stores had no clue what she was talking about. She DID see malted barley syrup though....but is it the same thing? Can it be used?

Also, what exactly IS Potatoe Dextrose Extract?
Is it the same thing as Potatoe Starch Flour? Can this be used instead?

How can these ingredients be used with Agar?
We REALLY REALLY need to develope a simple, easy, effective agar recipe that uses ingredients that can easily be found by anyone, and that can be easily obtained by anyone, and that do NOT involve screwing around with cutting up this, and boiling that, and simmering this and that and pouring into the other etc etc.

9 grams of this and 10 grams of that is not that easy for some of us to do....Are there accurate volumic measurements? Like in teaspoons and such?

Expiring minds want to know?

BUMP !

SO it might SEEM like a silly or dumb question to some of you, but how about someone in the know answering these questions?

My neighbors girlfriends cooter went out and bought something called "Barley Malt Sweetener" and on the label it says "Barley Malt is a natural sweetener derived from an extract of sprouted Barley." It is a flour-like powder. Will this work in an Agar recipe?

The same cooter also bought "Pure Potato Starch Flour". Its powdered potato starch. Is this Potato Dextrose Extract? The foodeater at the hippy-mart says it is, that starch is dextrose, and glucose, and it is a sugarand this will make things thicker, like gravey....and just buy it and get out."

If I may whinge and whine for a moment, that is the one small tiny complaint I have about some of the information on this site: t is unclear, alternate names and/or ingredients are not given, and many times amounts are hard to decypher.

I can understand and excuse this when reading posts made by people who probably are not much smarter then I am (And that aint saying much!), and such people often might not have well-defined ideas or information about what they are doing...as I usually do not either.

So can someone answer some of these questions please? I am quite sure that there are others here that are just as lost as we are when it comes to some of this stuff.

The Agar stuff in the FAQ's is really not very clear or definitive when it comes to exactly what agar is, why it is used, what the additional ingredients accomplish, the roles of sugars, spice and everything nice in the recipies, and what it is we are supposed to be accomplishing when we use Agar.

I believe that I understand the basic premise and ideas: Plop a peice of mycelium onto Agar (Or drop spoors onto Agar) and they germinate or start to grow, thus giving you more mycelium then you started with, or the opportunity to select a "clean" peice of mycelium apart from the contamned mycelium that can then be isolated and grown "purely" on another Agar dish.

But why wont pure agar by itself work? Why add things like dextrose? Its for the food right? The mycelium like sugars right? And we all want better, faster, quicker easier. And those are things that the agar recipies are supposed to accomplish, right? Why not just some brown rice flour mixed into the agar? Would that work?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: agar with malted barley syrup [Re: KingCobWeb]
    #1315091 - 02/17/03 05:09 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleHongosmeester
old sourdough
Male User Gallery
Re: agar with malted barley syrup [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1315160 - 02/17/03 05:27 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

ok can i use malted barley syrup as a subsistute for light malted barley extract? :mad: :confused:

--------------------
Don't fuck with me
I'm a postal worker;-)
so i did

<p>My <a href="http://tinyurl.com/6valr">Unitarian Jihad Name</a> is: <strong>Brother Neutron Bomb of Compassion</strong>.</p>

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1315220 - 02/17/03 05:44 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

If you're working with spores you will probably need a flow hood, or a glove box.

If you're using mycelium, then you might be able to use peroxidated agar.

Why are you wanting to use agar?

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleHongosmeester
old sourdough
Male User Gallery
    #1315354 - 02/17/03 06:54 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

If you're working with spores you will probably need a flow hood, or a glove box.

If you're using mycelium, then you might be able to use peroxidated agar.

Why are you wanting to use agar? 

I have a contaminated culture that I want to try some peroxidated agar on and need to know if i can use  malted barley syrup instead of the other :confused:

--------------------
Don't fuck with me
I'm a postal worker;-)
so i did

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1315362 - 02/17/03 07:00 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Dark malt extract has less avalible sugars for the mycelium wear as light extract has more dextros sugars that the mycelium finds easyer to eat.
Dextros sugars are less caramelized and occur in honey and other less refined sugar sources.

--------------------
er

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1315364 - 02/17/03 07:01 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I don't know anything about malted barley syrup.

My first bottle of agar just came today. I've never used it before. I'm going to be using Potato Fructose Agar.

As far as I know, it's never been tried before, but fructose is a mnoglyceride, so it should work.

You may not be able to use yeast unless you have a pressure cooker. Yeast, and potato both have peroxidase enzyme that will break down the peroxide. I tried some potato flakes in peroxide, and they seem ok. That's what I'll be using.

PCing will destroy the peroxidase.

--------------------

Edited by Baby_Hitler (02/17/03 07:04 PM)

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Re: agar with malted barley syrup [Re: G a n j a]
    #1315371 - 02/17/03 07:06 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Just to point out i think you can use both but one is much better(light malt).I have used both with little difference to my eye.But im new so unsure.

As hitler pointed out there are some good agar recipes in the faq.This is the one im using

Potato Dextrose Agar (PDA)
broth from boiling 150 grams sliced potatoes
in 500ml water for 30 minutes(add water to 500ml)
9 g agar agar
10 ml Local honey
.88ml of 17% Peroxide

im using peroxidated agar to start spores but placing a cardboard square ontop of it in the hope the mycelium will develope there then move onto the agar.

--------------------
er

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

#1315383 - 02/17/03 07:12 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

P.s if you use the recipe im using theres no need for malt extract at all as honey is easyer to source.Another reason i was told people dont use the dark malt syrup is because it makes the agar darker in colour so harder to see whats going on.
Also if using peroxide you must wait for the mix to drop in temp to 130?f before mixing in the Peroxide.Good luck with it as working with agar is very interessting and makes you feel like a mad scientist :smile: Apart from fruiting its my favorite part so far.

--------------------
er

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1315391 - 02/17/03 07:17 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

What is 9g agar in teaspoons?  :confused:I don't have a decent scale. 

--------------------

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

#1315401 - 02/17/03 07:23 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

real ruff guess would be about 5 but ill check for you brb ill edit this post.

Edit: 1 breadmaker teaspoon measure of agar agar flakes = .8 grams

--------------------
er

Edited by G a n j a (02/17/03 07:25 PM)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1315424 - 02/17/03 07:38 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks.

I assume a breadmaker teaspoon is a standard U.S. teaspoon.

--------------------

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

#1315456 - 02/17/03 07:56 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah gota be i suppose.The breadmakers from the us but im in europe so not 100%

I was going to try and boil some hardwoods in the water i then use to boil the potatoes.Has anyone tryed this as my oysters dont seem to do as well on this agar mix as everything else does.So i was thinking it maybe better to do this for wood lovers?any thoughts?

--------------------
er

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1315515 - 02/17/03 08:40 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Well according to http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/conversions.htm a US teaspoon is 1.066 UK teaspoons, so I guess that's close enough that I don't really need to worry.

You may need more nitrogen. You might try adding a couple drops of low sodium soy sauce.

Maybe, IDK.  :confused:

--------------------

OfflineHatalmid
Stranger

#25970451 - 05/03/19 04:06 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Good Day!

I understand that I am still a newbie here but I found a video on youtube from the Fresno Mycology Society that uses malt syrup for thier agar mix.  You will find the link below.  I am personally going to try it myself and I will report back to let you know how it goes.

--------------------
"Night shines as the Day, Light and Darkness is the same"

OfflineABCMORPHS
Stranger
Re: agar with malted barley syrup [Re: Hatalmid]
    #26281287 - 10/27/19 10:42 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Great video! Short Answer
Agar Agar========== 9 grams
light liquid malt extract= 10 grams
distilled water========  500 ml

I am going to add 1 gram nutritional yeast.
Also I think, the 500 ml of water should be at least warm if not hot to make the malt extract syrup mix easier.
I am also using dark not light malt extract....well see what happens.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder