Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
Re: Does sugar cause acne? [Re: Solving Ennui]
    #13150273 - 09/05/10 11:17 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Solving Ennui said:
i've had acne for like 7 years and never found anything tat works for it, only been able to lessen it, any recommendations?

I've had it for 15..  Have to love genetics.

I've tried everything OTC and many prescriptions.  To be honest I think the best thing to do is try a retinoid like Differin.  It actually changes your skin and thins out the epidermis a bit, but leaves it much more smooth and prevents the pores from becoming clogged.  It's a big decision because it will change some things for you.  You'll probably have to use sunscreen if you spend a lot of time in the sun.  It will probably also make your skin worse, and red for the first two months.  The redness can be mostly avoided but you will get more acne in the first 4-8 weeks on differin.  Many people quit using whatever retinoid they are on at this point and claim it didn't work but if they would have given it at least three months their skin likely would have looked much better than it ever had.  Also if the dermatologist is cool with it you can try to get on an oral antibiotic like keflex or doxy for the first two months to minimize all of the breakouts while your skin adjusts to the differin and purges everything.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Does sugar cause acne? [Re: awakendone]
    #13150661 - 09/05/10 12:43 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

awakendone said:
Quote:

Solving Ennui said:
i've had acne for like 7 years and never found anything tat works for it, only been able to lessen it, any recommendations?

The #1 best thing you can do is avoid dairy!
Drink lots of clean water. Maybe even add fresh lemon or lime juice.
Alkalize!
Avoid the harsh anti acne products. Clear skin comes from the inside by what you eat! (Besides genetics)
Eat clean and natural foods and dont underestimate the power of herbs.
Regular sauna use is also very good. Especially drink lots of water if you do this.

Probably the best advice in the thread. Acne can be a bitch to control if you have it bad, but it's certainly manageable.
In my experience, acne is 70% diet. Avoid the dairy, alcohol.... avoid a lot of processed foods, tons of red meat, etc.
Eat lots of alkaline foods - fruits and vegetables basically. Drink a LOT of water.

The rest of it besides your diet? Sunshine and fresh air.
If you have access to a beach, salt water + sunshine is even more therapeutic to the skin.
But I guarantee if you make it a point to get a little more sun, combined with a healthier diet.. you will see it start to disappear.
As for products, the only thing I have tried that has worked reliably when I had acne.. is something with high quantities of Alpha-Hydroxy-Acids in it.

Keep your skin clean, scrub it regularly with an alpha hydroxy acid product. The scrubbing part is essential to removing dead skin cells and exposing fresh skin cells to start growing.
Eat a healthier diet. Get at least 30 minutes of sun a day. If you do it correctly you should start to see results in as little as a few days.

I used to have bad acne when I was teenager, struggled with it for years (was especially bad on my back). Finally managed to get it under control and even stop it from happening completely, just with the above steps.
Healthy diet, some exercise, fresh air and sunshine. That's my recommendation.

--------------------

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
Re: Does sugar cause acne? [Re: AlbinoMonk]
    #13152966 - 09/05/10 09:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

HFCS and refined sugars causes me to breakout.  i can go a month without any pimples, eat some ice cream or something with corn syrup and break out the next day

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Offlinemarmarlun
!
 User Gallery

Re: Does sugar cause acne? [Re: demiu5]
    #13153868 - 09/06/10 04:25 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

creatine does not have sugar in it. Cut the sugar out.

And for those badmouthing creatine here - if you stay hydrated, there's no problems. Every athelete above highschool level (and many in highschool) use it - it's been researched to death and is very safe. You don't need to 'cycle' it, you don't need a loading phase.

If you want to eat the stuff, get pure creatine monodydrate powder - 5 grams a day. It's dirt cheap, and any other type is useless.

BUT if your diet/sleep/training schedule aren't optimal, then you probably won't see any good from it anyway. People focus too much on suppliments, and neglect their training.

Offlinesum0
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand
Re: Does sugar cause acne? [Re: marmarlun] * 1
    #13153910 - 09/06/10 05:01 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

acne is caused by a lifetime accumlulation of so called 'man food'.

Packaged processed bullshit that is fed to us on a daily basis is toxic to our bodies. We get sick, we ask why, we go to a doctor, they give us pills, meanwhile never telling us why we get sick, and cancer is always 'cause unknown'.

People buy food and look at the packaging and say oh good, it has fibre and iron. they think that food instantly dissolves in the stomach and turns into these soluble nutrients, not thinking of the mounds of unmoving detrius all this pasta, pies and bullshit creates in our suffering colon, and most people havent taken a sufficient dump in a long time, yet keep shoveling in 3 meals a day, so they can get 'big and strong'

'does sugar cause acne' yes, among other man made shit that we were NEVER meant to consume...

Invisiblegrischnackh
Re: Does sugar cause acne? *DELETED* [Re: PowerTrip] * 1
    #13153921 - 09/06/10 05:15 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by grischnackh

Reason for deletion: /

OfflineSolving Ennui
Odd Ball
Male

Re: Does sugar cause acne? [Re: grischnackh]
    #13154557 - 09/06/10 10:40 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

lots of good info here, been trying to lemon juice to little avail...

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Does sugar cause acne? [Re: Solving Ennui] * 1
    #13154609 - 09/06/10 10:56 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Overt fats like avocado or seeds are connected to breaking out for me.  Fruit sugars are what keep my skin looking fresh and glowing.

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
Re: Does sugar cause acne? [Re: MOTH]
    #13154835 - 09/06/10 11:53 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I take issue with people claiming acne is 100% diet because it is placing a feeling of blame and guilt on those who have the disease.  It is a genetic disease, which is passed on from parent to child.  Making someone feel as though they are doing something "wrong" if they have acne is not helpful.  Blaming diet is just as bad as the old accusations that the person must have had bad hygiene..

Yes, diet can help, but the disease is still there.  Other than milk and allergies to specific foods, diet cannot be blamed.  There are many genetic factors that come into play, mostly concerning the way the person's skin cells shed and the structure of their pores.  This is why acids are so effective.  They make sure any skin cells which are ready to be shed come off easily.  Retinoids like differin or retin-a also work to correct skin shedding but they do so at the genetic level rather than simply chemically removing them like the acids.  Both of these methods are effective but long-term retinoids seem more effective and you can even skip days without breaking out.  On the flip side, retinoids will make acne worse for a little while and acids generally don't.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Offlinefeifen

Re: Does sugar cause acne? [Re: PowerTrip]
    #13156352 - 09/06/10 05:44 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hormones like testosterone cause acne. Acne is not simply an imbalance of the body, there are multiple causes and reasons for acne such as skin irritation, food, dehydration, dry skin, hormones and many other reasons.

Yeah, there are ways to get rid of acne for the most part, but even a healthy human will get a odd pimple here and there

Offlinesum0
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand
Re: Does sugar cause acne? [Re: feifen] * 1
    #13158162 - 09/07/10 01:53 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So your saying that teenagers living in forests and jungles before the dawn of large communities and towns would have acne because of 'genetics'.

When Humans lived in Nature our diet was that of an animals, (well maybe not the meat) we lived off the land only eating what our bodies required, not what government officials say defines a healthy diet.

I seriously doubt acne was rife, I cant stand it when people say genetics are at fault, like 'im fat because of my genes', where were all the genetically fat people in concentration camps?

Offlinebluecurry
Dragons don't
Male User Gallery

Loc: half past purple, between... Flag
Re: Does sugar cause acne? [Re: sum0]
    #13158225 - 09/07/10 02:21 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

low dose accutane or retin-a if cystic.

If it's just bad acne, tea tree oil body wash (and benzoyl peroxide cream for flare-ups) should be all that you need.

Exfoliate no more than once a week, use only your hands to clean your back, shoulders, chest and face.

Exercise more.

Tea tree oil really works though, I mean I would personally avoid using the pure stuff because it's very smelly and a little too concentrated for comfortable use on skin.

In fact, stick with Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap because it lacks any of the additive shit they put in other soaps.

Invisiblegrischnackh
Re: Does sugar cause acne? *DELETED* [Re: PowerTrip]
    #13158392 - 09/07/10 05:02 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by grischnackh

Reason for deletion: /

Edited by grischnackh (09/07/10 05:38 AM)

OfflineSolving Ennui
Odd Ball
Male

Re: Does sugar cause acne? [Re: grischnackh]
    #13159263 - 09/07/10 11:50 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

if anything lemon juice has made my acne WORSE

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Loc: Elsewhere.
Re: Does sugar cause acne? [Re: AlbinoMonk]
    #13161260 - 09/07/10 06:17 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

First off, http://altmedicine.about.com/od/creatine/a/creatine.htm

Did that guy seriously just say that creatine is bad?? WTF are they teaching people these days?!?!?! Jesus christ.

Second. You're using whack creatine. There should be nothing in it but creatine. Creatine IS SAFE to use. Could it cause acne? I doubt it seeing how it is found in your body and in nearly ALL meat protein sources.

As for acne, I have had it, not terrible, but bad enough to stay home from school. (11 years ago) and it really does suck. I feel your pain bro. There is an acne cream that I use that works WONDERS for me. I also use it after I shave, along with some A&D ointment, and I don't get ingrown hairs. Its called Murad spot treatment or something. I know its from murad, but I have been using it since I had my last issue with acne about 7 years ago, and it works for me. Might be worth a shot. ?

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck