Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
wild P. mexicana - strange growth on agar?
    #1314333 - 02/17/03 12:45 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Dude obtained a wild P. mexicana print a while back. He innoculated agar and transferred the best sections. after 3 transfers the growth was all white. He then transferred wedges to some rgs. A few weeks later he looked at the jars and they had all begun to get this black mold growing on them, then looking at the dishes he noticed that what first appeared to be the beginnings of sclerotia now had the same black growth on them. We didn't now what to think, so he made a few more transfers. Finally he had a plate grow out which was pure white and appeared to be healthy, he transferred this to more peroxidated agar.

Here is the strange part. I'm sure you know how peroxidated agar gets a cloudy appearance around the outside of the perimeter of the growing mycelium. Well, this plate has had that cloudy appearance grow all of the way to the edge of the plate now (bacteria?); The mycelium wedge is beginning to grow over top of it!!

It makes me think that bacteria was hitching a ride with the wedge, it first colonized the peroxidated agar, then the mycelium began eating the bacteria?? I really don't understand it. Has anyone seen anything like this, I am totally confused. If you can't understand my rambling, please ask me to clarify. I feel like we are getting very close with this wild mexicana, but it is just out of reach.

Finaly, what he did was transfer a few pieces to new plates below the agar per Dr. Wayne Rush.

What do you all think? Have you seen growth like this before?

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: wild P. mexicana - strange growth on agar? [Re: Olgualion]
    #1315278 - 02/17/03 06:09 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

The mexicana I grew out on plates started as a very fine layer of mycelium and then bulked up to more cottony growth. It is not quite what you described though.

Good luck!

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
    #1315324 - 02/17/03 06:34 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

it first colonized the peroxidated agar, then the mycelium began eating the bacteria??

more likely the outer edge of the mycelium broke down the h2o2, allowing the bacteria to get a foothold.
unless it's a yeast?
Not sure if yeasts have the ability to break down h2o2, but I suspect so...

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: wild P. mexicana - strange growth on agar? [Re: Champion des Champignons]
    #1315991 - 02/18/03 04:57 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Hmmm... maybe yeast, I've never seen bacteria like this. But then again maybe it is something indiginous (sp?) to Mexico.

Wish I had a camera. Or even my copy of 'TMC' - I think I've bought the book 3 times and ended up losing it one way or another each time..

The bacteria?, yeast? seems to have no problem decomposing the peroxide. The mycelium has just begun growing over top of it. The contam is very "slimy like". In fact the plate was kept upside down and whatever it is has actually dripped down to the top of the plate (that sounds funny). I guess I'm really just curious about what it is for sure. I really wish I had a camera... Hopefully soon...

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#1318607 - 02/19/03 05:50 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

"I'm sure you know how peroxidated agar gets a cloudy appearance around the outside of the perimeter of the growing mycelium."

I do not know this. What kind of agar are you using? The clouding of your agar is likely due to the digestion of sugars and unrelated to the peroxide.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: wild P. mexicana - strange growth on agar? [Re: Joshua]
    #1320280 - 02/19/03 04:47 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

hmmm...  I could just be seeing things that aren't really there. :wink:  It has happened before, and im sure will happen again...  But really though, peroxidated agar seems to have a cloudy appearance just before that area begins colonizing *especially on the bottom of the plate*.  I dunno...

Anyway, this nasty stuff doesn't want to go away.  Even more strangely, the mycelium seems to eat it up.  We'll see how this most recent transfer will go shortly.  Do you think adding gentamycin to the agar will help?  Will it keep away a yeast if that is what this is? 

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#1320328 - 02/19/03 05:09 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I use DFA which is not transparent. I have worked with bacterial cultures grown on various sugar agars. The plates will cloud or clear in the presence of a bacteria that can metabolise the given sugar. I have some better agar I will pour my next time around to see if I can duplicate what you are seeing. What type of agar do you use?

Yeast are in the fungi family. I think most if not all fungi can break down peroxide. Most bacteria can not. Adding gentamycin is primarily to protect from bacteria.

I am curious as to what you are seeing. Do you have a way to get a pic?

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1320462 - 02/19/03 06:03 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

This is the best dude could do with a crappy scanner:

The blobs you see are from the contam dripping while the petri was upside down. It isn't very easy to make out because there is some condensation as well. Hopefully you get the idea enough to make a diagnosis...

If you look really hard, you can see where the agar has actually split, the contam somehow caused this. The agar is homemade peroxidated PDA.

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#1320488 - 02/19/03 06:27 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

My first thought was that the starch from your mix is seeping out of the agar. Don't take it too seriously though. That is quite a bit of mass for a contam. I have never seen anything like that before. Is there anyway for you to narrow the contam to something other than the culture? Is the contam on all of the plates of this batch? Is the agar you used on this transfer any different than the previous transfers? Does the plate smell funny?

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1320518 - 02/19/03 06:46 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Same exact batch of PDA has B+ and a P. tamp (iso), growing nicely; also unperoxidated from the same batch is P. tamp from spores, and they are just beginning to germinate.  Only this wild P. mex has this nasty snotty stuff.  Some chunks of mycelium were taken from this plate and bottom innoculated into plates with two other batches of agar (PDA and MYA +a bit of poo).  The PDA ones already are showing this contam, while the MEA hasn't done anything yet.  So it is definitely not the agar, and I haven't dared sniff it, and probably won't.. :wink:

I would certainly say it is not a mold!  right?  The original print was terribly contaminated with numerous molds I've never encountered before.  The funny thing is that the plate this one was transferred from appeared clean (and still does), I thought it was clean until this stuff showed up.

--edit--
Now that i think of it, this batch had nutritional yeast added(other than that, it is the same recipe), but like I said the other species are doing fine on it...

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Edited by Olgualion (02/19/03 06:50 PM)

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#1320578 - 02/19/03 07:39 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

My only other thought is that it is a slime mold. It is indeed perplexing.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#1320595 - 02/19/03 07:52 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1320943 - 02/20/03 02:41 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

So mold can actually grow like that, hmm.. I really need to get some mycology/ bilogy books so I can bring this hobby to a new level. Any you recommend?

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Edited by Olgualion (02/20/03 07:26 AM)

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#1321443 - 02/20/03 06:34 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I have learned what I know through my studies of biology. I have read very few mycology books.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: wild P. mexicana - finally some nice growth! :) [Re: Joshua]
    #1371727 - 03/13/03 05:46 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

Dude went and trashed the other cultures.  I am actually thinking the growth was not a contam, and like joshua said, something to do with the agar.  For some reason not all of the plates were affected though.?. 

Anyway, dude went back to his old multispore plate and squirted 2 cc's of straight 3% H2O2 on top.  Then he cut out a few sections and transferred three pieces to two different plates.  Here is the resultant growth from one of them:

The other plate has some green mold starting, but he is out of plates, and will not be getting more for a few weeks :frown:, so he will put it into the fridge to slow growth and transfer when he can get more.  I am soo stoked that he finally has gotten some good growth from this wild print, now will begin the process of taking more isolates and attempting to fruit them.  He also saved the original culture after dumping out the H2O2, and will take a bunch more sections from it once he has more plates. 

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: wild P. mexicana - finally some nice growth! :) [Re: Olgualion]
    #1372076 - 03/13/03 07:52 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

I had a dream last night or the night before about slime mold. I tried to take a picture for you.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Offlinejarhead
stranger on astrange planet

#1384141 - 03/17/03 11:25 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

i start keeping my agarcultures upside down for no water dripping on the mycelium and it seems to work fine , i use babyjars covered with alufoil and used it for a tissuetransfer

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1385225 - 03/17/03 04:18 PM (21 years, 7 days ago)

:smile:

I actually came across a web site just the other day (wish I could remember it now) that had some pics of this blood red colored slime mold.  It looked like a bunch of droplet sized blood red eyes with blood colored stalks attached.  They were all in a line.  It is tough to describe, but nevertheless looked really neat!

Jarhead, that is a good idea.  I used to use half pint mason jars when I didn't have petris, and they worked well.  The one problem I ran into though is that the bottom is convex and I didn't pour enough agar to cover the center. 

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: wild P. mexicana - finally some nice growth! :) [Re: Olgualion]
    #1385773 - 03/17/03 06:46 PM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Are you sure that is a Psilocybe mexicana? It looks more like a cubensis mycellium to me. All my mexicanas have multicolored zonate myc.

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: wild P. mexicana - finally some nice growth! :) [Re: zeronio]
    #1386603 - 03/18/03 02:59 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Honestly, there is a possibility that it is not.  My bud can't remember innoc'ing any plates with cubensis in a long time.  He found the donor plate and it was labeled P. mex and dated (along with a ? mark) shortly after he received a few wild P. mex prints.  There is a possibility that it is a cubie, but I really hope not.  Grain will be innoced with wedges, and it will be grown out soon.  Dude would have to go back to the original contam'd print if it is not mex, but that is okay because he is getting a case of 500 petris soon! :smile:

Now that I look back, this would be the 4th or 5th transfer from the original multispore innoc.  He has no other wild P mex plates, and I can't see him losing what he had worked on for so long.  There was a time he was running very low on plates, but I still can't fathom it.

We'll see, and I'll keep you updated. 

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder