Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Valerian Root

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous #1

Depression & Niacinamide
    #1314238 - 02/17/03 02:04 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Just thought I would post this for anyone looking for some help with depression / schizophrenia / other mental disturbances.

I've been using Vitamin B3 Niacin (as Niacinamide) daily for about two weeks for general depression relief.  300mg of this with a light meal in the morning helps elevate my mood throughout the day not unlike 5mg of Valium would.  I take a 100mg supplemental dose with lunch and dinner.  I haven't experienced any negative side effects.

** If you try this, be sure to get NiacinAMIDE "No Flush", as an overdose of straight B3 can give you a pretty rough body flush :wink: **

You can search google for more information, there have been numerous studies  with niacinamide for treating all sorts of mental disturbances. 

I would imagine 200-300mg would be good for taking the edge away from some psychedelics also :smile:

Peace! 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDemon
A Drug AgainstWar

Loc: j00/2 m07h3/2
Re: Depression & Niacinamide [Re: Organic]
    #1314309 - 02/17/03 02:37 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Thanks for that tip :smile:

--------------------
"Sex is like a gun.. you aim, you shoot, you run" - Aerosmith

Come visit SacredShrooms.org!

Anonymous #1

#1314321 - 02/17/03 02:41 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

#1314603 - 02/17/03 04:36 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

sounds good...

/me goes to do a google search

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Depression & Niacinamide [Re: ]
    #1314621 - 02/17/03 04:44 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

caffeine isnt good if you have anxiety? thats good to remember. chocolate milk doesnt have caffeine does it? i dont know if i could live without it  :crazy: . im sure i could... but it would suck! 

--------------------
What?

OnlineAsanteA
light your candle on my love
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
Re: Depression & Niacinamide [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1315668 - 02/18/03 01:31 AM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Niacinamide aka Nicotinamide aka Nicotinic Acid Amide: Every tripper should have it, and it's effects are PROVEN too. Great anti-anxiety, decent anti-psychotic (do not stop/avoid neuroleptic pharm treatments tho: not quite as effective) and for some all they need for that good old :smile:. And: it's very safe. I've seen recommended to not exceed 100mg for every 10kg/22lbs of body weight. It's GABA activity is such that 100mg is about as potent as 1-2mg Valium, but shorter acting. For use in trips as a shield, read:  "Everybody read this: Psychedelics and Benzo's" by yours truely in Trip Tips.

On coffee/cocoa:

Cocoa contains Theobromine, a bro of Caffeine. Basically it is the same thing, but shorter acting. (Caf = tri-methyl-xanthine, Theo = di-methyl-xanthine) On a wt/wt basis. cocoa is about as strong as coffee powder is.
But: most commercial choc. milk contains very little cocoa, way less than coffee contains beans, so you may enjoy that & still will not get wired too severely.
If you're really sensitive to the methxanthines, chocolate bars are a nono.

All this talk that Theobromine is like this wonnerful lovedrug/euphoriant is horse manure. Had 'em both as pure xtl caps: same effects, Theo just lasts shorter.

But absolutely: Anxiety? Insomnia? No coffee, just decaf! And if you've got heart problems like me you can say byebye to chocolate too :mad: 

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

OfflineHBS
Male

#1316326 - 02/18/03 10:12 AM (14 years, 12 days ago)

I definitely agree about people with anxiety not drinking or using caffeine

I have major anxiety/panic problems which flare up often spontaneously, though drinking caffeine (especially coffee) makes me completely lose my mind

Anonymous #1

Re: Depression & Niacinamide [Re: HB]
    #1316690 - 02/18/03 12:38 PM (14 years, 11 days ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineCrass
Explorer of theMind

#1316788 - 02/18/03 01:42 PM (14 years, 11 days ago)

I have a bottle of b-100 "b-complex vitamin supplement".. Would this work as well ?

it contains:
Thiamin (vitamin b1) 100 mg
Riboflavin (Vitamin b2) 100 mg
NIACIN 100 mg
vitamin b6 100mg
folate 400 mcg
Vitamin b12 100 mcg
Biotin 100 mcg
Pantothenic Acid 100 mg

Edited by Crass (02/18/03 01:46 PM)

OnlineAsanteA
Male User Gallery

Re: Depression & Niacinamide [Re: Crass]
    #1318028 - 02/19/03 01:50 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Is it time released? Do you flush? (If you do you'll know it!)

All forms of Niacin work. It's just that you've got alot of other Bs inthere. I'd recommend no more than 2 of those at once or once a day.
You gotta get it pure, trust me: NIACINAMIDE is a TREASURE!!!

You won't get High... But it works medicinally! :grin: 

--------------------

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

OnlineAsanteA
Male User Gallery

#1318037 - 02/19/03 01:59 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

DMX + TMX increase my sex drive...

Really now?! 125mg of any of those is about equivalent to the (dopamine etc) release of 5mg Amphetamine. A lil will do that to most, too much will "diminish the performance", as Shakespeare said of alcohol.

Talking bout sex drive in general & (male)performance in particular:
Try eating 3+ fresh walnuts every day and THEN claim there's no such thing as sex enhancers!
Trust the Wiccan on this  :cool:

--------------------

Anonymous #1

Re: Depression & Niacinamide [Re: Crass]
    #1318284 - 02/19/03 06:01 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

I took those B-100 complex vitamins for a while.  They didn't really help with depression or anything, they just made my stomach ache and my piss neon green!

Like W_S said, Niacinamide is the good stuff :smile:

Pretty cheap also, I got 250 100mg tablets for $5 at GNC.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #1318667 - 02/19/03 08:07 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

This is all very good info! I have a severe anxiety and panic attack problem, tried treatment with many many antidepressants. Nothing but benzos can help me so far. I was told by my uncle (my doctor) to try vitamin B to help me out with general stress, but the only thing it has done is make my piss bright yellow like Paranormal had mentioned. A quick check of the bottle reveals it does contain Niacinamide, although with a bunch of other crap, and only 50mg in each tablet. Now im off to the local drugstore to read ingredients on evey bottle of vitamin B until I find one with ONLY Niacinamide (besides filler crap..) and the highest content for my $$$.

But I am afraid that my Xanax is the only thing that can help me through the rough stuff. I seem to try everything and a little 1/2 mg chunk of Alprazolam is the only thing that makes me feel like "me" again. Im sick of taking these damn highly addictive things (3 years now, damn near panic at the thought of running out). I would have to say that since it started, it is alot better now, but no therapy helped. I seem to have come to the realization that it is all in my mind on my own, but it is still there nonetheless, and highly annoying.

It would be nice if a simple vitamin would help me out, perhaps at least to stop having to take benzos every freakin day. I would like to use them only in times of emergency (severe panic) or in an ideal situation, not at all... Well, maybe for the "shield effect" and to help with bad trips...

Edit: I just found this little chunk of info:
Quote:

One study found that niacinamide (not niacin) helped people get through withdrawal from benzodiazepines?a common problem. A reasonable amount of niacinamide to take for anxiety, according to some doctors, is up to 500 mg four times per day

Sounds just like what I need  :wink:  Im gone....

--------------------
To give is to live...

Edited by ATWAR (02/19/03 08:19 AM)

OnlineAsanteA
Male User Gallery

Re: Depression & Niacinamide [Re: ATWAR]
    #1320862 - 02/20/03 03:28 AM (14 years, 10 days ago)

The yellow piss... That's Vitamin B-2. The first time I took it & went I yelled OMG!!! It's truely like you're pissing yellow ink & your white underwear thinks so too if you're not careful!

Benzo-addiction sux bigtime! What you describe sounds like rebound anxiety. B3 really helps benzo withdrawal & as you might have calculated
250-500mg B3 = Valium-5 = Xanax-0.25

I know people have taken 3 grams daily in 6 doses for 33 days (~100gr in a month) as a one-time treatment for schizophrenia, but I also know the Niacins may cause reversible but worrisome liver changes.

I would advise trying VALERIAN ROOT TEA. Not the storebought gelcaps that don't work, but the rootbits as bought in herbal shoppes. (No headshops: they greatly overprice stuff. Here in NL a kg does about $20) Take one or two teaspoons thereof & make one glass of tea. The water must be hot, not boiling, so even hot tap water might suffice. Infuse for 10-15min, colate, sweeten if desired & drink it. You won't get high at all, it won't alleviate benzo withdrawal, but you will calm down to some extent. The calming effect of Valerian Root Tea (Valeriana Officinalis) is medically established.

Slowly reduce the dose of benzo with 2-4 week intervals between dose reductions, should you need to get off the Xa. That "tiny 0.5mg chunck" you mentioned btw equals a VALIUM 10 or half a STRONG Roofie!! (Rohypnol 2)

As a single experiment, take one gram of Niacinamide instead of a xanax. You'll find it takes longer to come on but is equally or more effective, as both are GABA-Agonists. Do this only once tho: I don't reccommend taking 1gr doses frequently!

--------------------

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Depression & Niacinamide [Re: Asante]
    #1326118 - 02/22/03 09:12 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

several of dr abram hoffer's books delve into "anecdotal reports" on the efficacy of B3 vitamins (& other so-called "nutrients") in treating a variety of mental illnesses; and a few discuss his running battle with the APA & their so-called "refutaion" of his results...
latest is "vitamin b3 & schizophrenia" & a googlesearch will reveal many reviews, some by mental health professionals, who confirm quite positive results following dr hoffer's regimen... (i picked up a copy at my local independent healthfood store...)(the book also has a contemporary version of the old "symptometer" test... a lot of ummmm "loaded questions" about your current perceptual distortions as regards your mind, body, & world --- take the test while "normal" (whatever that is) for a baseline & then try it when you're stressin' out, or when you're trippin' out... yowza...)(the test is a stripped down version of the "hoffer osmond diagnostic" = HOD)
~
~i always try to have a fresh bottle of niacinamide tablets or capsules when i trot off to festivals or dead shows or hookahville, hehheh...)
~
NIACINAMIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~
~

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Edited by gnrm23 (02/22/03 09:25 AM)

OfflineJordo
Psychonaut

Re: Depression & Niacinamide [Re: gnrm23]
    #1411585 - 03/26/03 02:34 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I just read some articles that stated that Niacin is a term created to refer to nicotonic acid and nictonamide (niacinamide) because the latter closely resembled nicotine and worried consumers. I also read that nicotonic acid is converted to the biological amine form (niacinamide) in the body. So either one should be about the same. The flushing may be partly due to this conversion of nicotonic acid to niacinamide whereas when niacinamide is just taken there is no conversion.

Hope this helps!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Valerian Root

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being