Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
New Study of False Memories
    #1313925 - 02/17/03 12:20 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

"Remember that wonderful day when Bugs Bunny hugged you at Disneyland? A new study shows just how easy it can be to induce false memories in the minds of some people. More than a third of subjects in the study, presented Sunday, recalled that theme-park moment; impossible because Bugs is not a Disney character; after a researcher planted the false memory. Other research, of people who believed they were abducted by space aliens, shows that even false memories can be as intensely felt as those of real-life victims of war and other violence."

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (02/17/03 12:23 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleThe_Clash_UK
Day Tripper
Loc: UK
Re: New Study of False Memories [Re: Swami]
    #1313931 - 02/17/03 12:22 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i think the character is irrelivent

--------------------
Crash a cig guvnor?

Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

#1314050 - 02/17/03 12:56 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I can understand mixing up common childhood memories like that, but how did the researchers know that those other people hadn't really been abducted by aliens? What if they weren't making those memories up?

--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: New Study of False Memories [Re: Swami] * 1
    #1314065 - 02/17/03 01:00 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

The study of false memories is fairly new. It will be interesting to see the science play itself out in court. Although we believe that eye witness accounts are very reliable, current research in the field tends to indicate otherwise. Very scary when you think about the number of people convicted on nothing but eye witness testimony.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #1314092 - 02/17/03 01:07 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I havn't had a ramble for a long time, and I am in a good mood, so I will give you my thoughts on this subject.  I hope at least one person reads and responds to my post and more than one person would certainly be better.  :grin:

I read the exact article I think in www.newscientist.com.  In someways the article  kind of pissed me off.  It was all so very obvious to me, and secondly I dislike how they used the words false thoughts.  They call them false because they don't match up with the norm in society.  Timothy Leary, Robert Anton Wilson and many others already have known this.  In the book, Promethius Rising Robert Anton Wilson talks about how people in certain situations make up things like imaginary friends and some of them get so attatched into beleiving they are real.  I hate the word false because the brain is a very advanced tool, and it is so complex that it adapts to different environments and can change to suite stressful or traumatic situations.  Since the brain knows more than most people would like to think I can't see why it makes sense to call any thoughts false.  Anything can hold true in someones mind.  The model is not the territory though.  A good example is a psychotic person that beleives the IRS is outside his window watching them.  He takes his model of reality as reality and that can be bad.  But none the less those thoughts are true in his mind.  Reality has managed to create incredibly complex organisms with the ability to construct maps of reality in their minds.  We as mankind are just beginning to figure reality out, and for now I think it rather crude to dismiss things that we do not yet understand or label them as false, stanic, evil, e.t.c. 

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: New Study of False Memories [Re: peruvian spark]
    #1314106 - 02/17/03 01:10 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

"...but how did the researchers know that those other people hadn't really been abducted by aliens?"

They didn't.

However, most abductees' memories are drawn out through hypnosis by a "therapist" that wants to believe in alien abduction. With no physical evidence, no eyewitnesses seeing the "victims" being removed from their abode at night, and the knowledge that false memories are easily implanted; which is the more likely and logical (not your personal preference, but that based on the reason and facts) conclusion:

A. Alien abductions are real-world events.

B. Alien abductions are merely in the subjective mind.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
    #1314129 - 02/17/03 01:17 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Its quite easy to implant false memories. Thats the problem with police interrogations and children these days. They can be taught to remember almost anything.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1314170 - 02/17/03 01:33 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

[quotewhich is the more likely and logical (not your personal preference, but that based on the reason and facts) conclusion:

A. Alien abductions are real-world events.

B. Alien abductions are merely in the subjective mind.

Having never been abducted by an alien (that I know of) I cannot reach a conclusion one way or another. I highly doubt that we are plucked, probed, and replaced. At the same time, I cannot discount the possibility either.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1314353 - 02/17/03 02:52 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

that specific question, "Remember that wonderful day when Bugs Bunny hugged you at Disneyland," is kind of an inuendo where you're not really asking if bugs bunny has hugged them at disneyland, you're imPLYING it, and just asking if they remember.

Regardless, thats a pretty interesting study :smile: shows how people fall to the power of suggestion very easily

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offline3eyedgod
trippinkid

Loc: Far away and very near
Re: New Study of False Memories [Re: Strumpling]
    #1314369 - 02/17/03 02:58 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe given the suggestion that they have had that experience,but finding no such memory stored in their own memory banks, their minds establish a direct connetion with the universal information grid (the so called akashic record) and download that memory.

Hey , ya never know :grin:

--------------------
Without everything wouldn't nothing be everything and without nothing wouldn't everything be nothing.I am the beginning and the end,the source and the void, the light and the darkness,i am but a small drop of the ocean yet i am an ocean unto myself

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: New Study of False Memories [Re: 3eyedgod]
    #1314417 - 02/17/03 03:11 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Wasn't that redhead you fucked in the parking-lot of that one bar a while back REALLY HOT?

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offline3eyedgod
trippinkid

Re: New Study of False Memories [Re: Strumpling]
    #1314426 - 02/17/03 03:16 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Oh yeah!  I remember that! :grin: :tongue:

--------------------
Without everything wouldn't nothing be everything and without nothing wouldn't everything be nothing.I am the beginning and the end,the source and the void, the light and the darkness,i am but a small drop of the ocean yet i am an ocean unto myself

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: New Study of False Memories [Re: 3eyedgod]
    #1314677 - 02/17/03 05:05 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Why hasn't someone responded to my post?  Was it too long, or was it a bit off topic.  I hope someone learnt something from it.  :laugh: 

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Re: New Study of False Memories [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #1314717 - 02/17/03 05:18 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Nice post...

How about that? :confused:

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Anonymous

#1314730 - 02/17/03 05:21 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I think the term "false memory" is an oxymoron. If it exists as a memory, it can't be "false". Artificial, but not false. Artificial memories put into a person's head by someone else is one thing, "artificial" memories put there by the person him/herself is entirely different.

Related to this I have a feeling a lot more people are going to find themselves having "false memories" of their own in the next few years, and they'll be questioning their sanity. Just wait and see.  :wink: 

Offline3eyedgod
trippinkid

#1315250 - 02/17/03 07:55 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Good post.  My post kind of compliments yours because it wasn't a "false" or "artificial" memory.  It was an actual memory downloaded from the universe's  archives of stored experiences. :wink:

--------------------

Edited by 3eyedgod (02/17/03 07:55 PM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #1315672 - 02/18/03 01:39 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I've taken a seminar given by hypnotherapists that teaches the rest of us to have a client write down his/her thoughts about possible childhood molestations before we proceed with retrieval of submerged memories. Should traumatic memories surface - real or imagined - we, as hypnotherapists, now need to protect ourselves from clients who come for help, remember terrible things (or confabulate them!), and then blame and sue the hypnotist for re-traumatizing them!

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology