Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineProdijal_Son
slowmaster

Loc: derby city
Heat Dispersion, Convection and Variation
    #1313619 - 02/17/03 10:09 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Although I'm not completely certain as to the truest definitions of the aforementioned subjects, I will attempt to describe as best I can.

Dispersion ...

Do greater amounts of empty air in an incubating chamber reduce the efficiency of heat? To combat this could I custumize styrofoam pieces to fit under my jars and around a gallon glass jar?

Convection ...

Furthermore, could I arrange the styrofoam pieces to hold the jars at the top of the box to utilize heat that collects at the top of the box ... convection = rising of heat ... cooling .. falling ... etc.

Variation ...

Is the temperature shown by a thermometer in an incubating chamber valid? I say this because it is widely accpeted that the optimal temperature for an incubation chamber is 83-85. Do these temperatures vary greatly bewteen the air that the thermometer reads and the inside of the jars? Moreover, it is necessary for the temperature inside the jar to reach 85 as well?

Thanks peeps. Peace!

--------------------
The times are good. The living is easy. The vibes are zingy.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Heat Dispersion, Convection and Variation [Re: Prodijal_Son]
    #1313876 - 02/17/03 12:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have no idea... :tongue:
I just keep my jars in a warm place.....it always works well....
I tried an incubator and the heat from the pad was enough to kill the mycelium and ruin all my jars.

I dont think it matters all that much in incubation if you have optimal temp, or just kinda close to it.

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
    #1315173 - 02/17/03 07:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Incubators like this work really well and tend to not have problems with drying out your jars like ones that use heat pads or other "dry heat".

As for temperature, generally the thermometer does not reflect the temperature in the jars exactly. The mycelium produces some heat of its own and so the jars tend to be a bit warmer. Its best to adjust your heat source so that the air temperature is 79 - 82F, rather than 85F or higher; you don't want the jars to get too hot or dry out.

Optimum growth should be at 86F inside the jars which usually means around 80F incubation temps.

And I'd say don't worry about convection etc., just make sure your incubator holds heat well, that the air temp is correct, and that it doesn't dry out the jars.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

I wish you all ceaselessly flowing moments of happiness.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #1315372 - 02/17/03 09:07 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i think [with composts] the temps inside the substrate are from 2 to 10 degrees higher [depending on the amount of substrate used] than the surounding air, but i am not sure if this holds true with sterilized substrates.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #1315567 - 02/17/03 11:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Do greater amounts of empty air in an incubating chamber reduce the efficiency of heat? To combat this could I custumize styrofoam pieces to fit under my jars and around a gallon glass jar?

Yes. The efficiency of your system to maintain a temperature will be reduced w/ empty air. Your idea would work as long as you are sure to place the pieces carefully.

Furthermore, could I arrange the styrofoam pieces to hold the jars at the top of the box to utilize heat that collects at the top of the box ... convection = rising of heat ... cooling .. falling ... etc.

Yes, this would work. You could also place the styrofoam at the top of your incubator to lower the ceiling and to keep the heat from escaping.

Is the temperature shown by a thermometer in an incubating chamber valid? I say this because it is widely accpeted that the optimal temperature for an incubation chamber is 83-85. Do these temperatures vary greatly bewteen the air that the thermometer reads and the inside of the jars? Moreover, it is necessary for the temperature inside the jar to reach 85 as well?

I would say that the temp outside of your jars and inside of your jars is pretty close. IMO there is not a large amount of heat released by the quantities of mycelium that most of us work with. In reading about internal heat of spawn running most are refering to bulk grow operations. I have not compared the internal temp to the external temp though. I will check the temp on the next quart I open for spawning purposes.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1315906 - 02/18/03 06:18 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

"Do greater amounts of empty air in an incubating chamber reduce the efficiency of heat?"
yep it is like the opposite of a chest freezer. when you open it it fills with warm air which then has to be cooled again when it is closed. yours fills with cold air and must be heated.
"To combat this could I custumize styrofoam pieces to fit under my jars and around a gallon glass jar?"
yep, a freezer is most efficient when it is full so people often put in piles of newspaper to fill up half empty freezers, so less warm air goes in when opened.

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

OfflineProdijal_Son
slowmaster

Loc: derby city
Re: Heat Dispersion, Convection and Variation [Re: Joshua]
    #1315912 - 02/18/03 06:20 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the input peoples!

--------------------
The times are good. The living is easy. The vibes are zingy.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology