Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedeadwing0
Stranger
Male
Loc: Flag
Waterlogged cake
    #13133068 - 09/01/10 10:50 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I've lurked here for a few weeks, finally registered and decided to post. I'm loving all the great info here!

A brief overview of what I'm doing: I'm using PF tek, built the FC to standards (humidity, temp, lighting, and FAE all appear ok), and already had my first flush with about 1.5 grams dry. Next, dunked and rolled the cake (only have one cake, it was given to me by a friend), and began second flush. There are a few pins sticking up out of the verm layer; one in particular that's pretty beefy looking.

So here's where I ran into trouble. I began to believe the cake was too dry (especially since I've added a fan to the room containing my FC), so I guess I over-misted the box because the perlite layer became completely soaked. I didn't realize my mistake until this morning, so the cake has almost been sitting in water for about 1.5 days. There don't appear to be any discolorations of the myc or the pins, so I don't think I've damaged the cake, and I don't think there are any contams. However, I'm worried that I've inhibited the growth of the mushrooms with too much water.

I've got fresh perlite, rinsed it, and placed it and the cake back in the terrarium as quickly and cleanly as possible. Besides perhaps cutting down on misting and/or increasing FAE, is there anything I can do to ensure my shrooms won't die? I feel like growth has been *really* slow compared to the first flush, but I also feel like I'm being too impatient. I know that after the first flush the myc needs time to recover and all that, but I hope it hasn't been damaged too much with the waterlogging.

Another quick question.. would it hurt to flip the cake over after pinning has begun? I feel like that might let the bottom dry out a little, and allow the top layer of verm to moisten up.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOut GrowV
Community Vendor
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest
Re: Waterlogged cake [Re: deadwing0]
    #13133092 - 09/01/10 10:57 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Just cut down on misting. You have fresh perlite and everything sounds clean as far as I can tell. You normally dunk in between flushes anyway so I really don't think its a big deal. Not that this is good practice or anything but I have dunked monotubs with pins and actually had to leave it like that for 2 days. Those goofy mushies tried growing underwater! I drained the tub and it fruited just fine.

Offlinerflnc
Strangerer
Male

#13133111 - 09/01/10 11:02 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

you should be fine. just cut down on misting and increase fanning. is your cake sitting directly on the perlite? it should be on some foil or a jar lid. good luck

Offlinedeadwing0
Stranger
Male
Re: Waterlogged cake [Re: rflnc]
    #13133129 - 09/01/10 11:07 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the quick replies!

The cake is sitting directly on the perlite. I used this same method for the first flush and had no problems. I do remember reading that subsequent flushes can lead to increased chances of contamination (due to excessive moisture, I guess), but I guess I'm still worried there won't be enough moisture.

I only have one cake sitting in a round cookie sheet of perlite in the bottom of a small plastic container filled with about an inch of water. I was worried that putting foil or a jar lid under the cake might constrict the evaporation process.

OfflineOut GrowV
Community Vendor
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest
Re: Waterlogged cake [Re: rflnc]
    #13133172 - 09/01/10 11:19 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Putting foil, or whatever under it will help more then hurt. As long as your RH is high enough you wont have a lot of evaporation. There should be enough fresh air exchange to cause evaporation and enough RH and misting to compensate for it. These are optimal conditions for fruiting.

Offlinedeadwing0
Stranger
Male
Re: Waterlogged cake [Re: Out Grow]
    #13133198 - 09/01/10 11:26 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, I'll take your word for it and add a piece of foil under the cake. I'll post some pictures of my first flush here in a few so y'all can critique my mini FC. :laugh:

Offlinedeadwing0
Stranger
Male
    #13133301 - 09/01/10 11:49 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Here's my FC. Actually, it's not *completely* up to pf tek standards (lacking air holes in bottom box), but it seems to be doing the trick anyway. As I said earlier, this flush dried to about 1.5 grams. I'm hoping to get a successful spore print from the 2nd flush, which will enable me to do a bigger grow next time.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #13133320 - 09/01/10 11:53 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Cakes should never be sitting on the perlite.  It will cause them to become waterlogged.

If you drill holes in the terrarium per the shotgun terrarium tek, you will never have standing water, which actually lowers humidity.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

#13133466 - 09/01/10 12:25 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

deadwing0 said:
I'm using PF tek, built the FC to standards

Quote:

deadwing0 said:

LIAR!.

lol no im jk... but not really.

thats not a sgfc. also get that cake off the perlite. thats why it got waterlogged.

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

Offlinedeadwing0
Stranger
Male
Re: Waterlogged cake [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13137596 - 09/02/10 09:04 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Cakes should never be sitting on the perlite.  It will cause them to become waterlogged.

If you drill holes in the terrarium per the shotgun terrarium tek, you will never have standing water, which actually lowers humidity.
RR

I moved it onto a piece of foil. Because I only had one cake, I didn't want to invest much time or money into the FC because I was afraid it wouldn't work out. Now that I [sort of] know what I'm doing I'll build a larger and more correct SGFC. Thanks RR.

And k00laid, yeah I guess I exaggerated a bit when I said it was built to standards. I guess it's actually built to my own standards. :p But anyway, it seems to be working ok. As stated above, I'll be building a larger FC to support the next few cakes I do. Thanks.

Offlinedeadwing0
Stranger
Male
    #13137683 - 09/02/10 09:42 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Also, since moving it onto the foil yesterday, I'm seeing several new pins sticking up. There is even one on the top of the cake, which never happened with my first flush. The pins that had already formed while my cake was too wet still appear to be growing as well, so I take this as a sign that I didn't screw up too badly.

It still seems to be progressing *much* more slowly than my first flush though. I gotta be patient, this is driving me crazy. :laugh:

Offlinedeadwing0
Stranger
Male
    #13142032 - 09/03/10 08:57 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Alright guys, so there are more pins visible than the other day, and everything looks ok minus one issue.

The first shroom popped up on the cake *much* earlier than these last pins. It seemed to stall out and the head was really dark, so I thought maybe the waterlogging affected it. Further, this morning I woke up and the darker mushroom's head and stem have turned a dark blue color. The cake shows no signs of discoloration as far as I can see, but I wanted to check with y'all to see what causes this. I thought a lack of moisture would cause the blue color, so do you think this is a contam?

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

#13142089 - 09/03/10 09:13 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

keep fanning and misting.

i see nothing out of the ordinary

--------------------

Offlinedeadwing0
Stranger
Male
Re: Waterlogged cake [Re: k00laid]
    #13142206 - 09/03/10 09:54 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

k00laid said:
keep fanning and misting.

i see nothing out of the ordinary

Alrighty, I'll do just that. The blue color doesn't make you think contams? Or is it probably just because I had the cake sitting on the perlite, which allowed it to get too moist?

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

#13142227 - 09/03/10 10:01 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

if you are referring to pic #1 its probly just an abort.

--------------------

Offlinedeadwing0
Stranger
Male
    #13142275 - 09/03/10 10:13 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I know aborts are still somewhat potent, but I'm afraid it might rot. Any advice as to whether I should pull it early or not?

Thanks for your help k00laid. :mushroom2:

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

#13142280 - 09/03/10 10:16 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

nah leave it be. it will turn a darker blue/black if it aborts.

keep on keepin on:thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinedeadwing0
Stranger
Male
    #13221581 - 09/20/10 07:20 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I have another quick question. After the 2nd flush I dunked (about 30 hours) and rolled it in a light layer of verm. I know a lot of people say don't roll it on the 3rd flush, but I didn't know this until I had already done it.

Anyway, the cake lost a *lot* of mass sometime between the 2nd flush and now. It's really light and small, and is beginning to smell a bit musty. There is no discoloration, and new mycelium is forming on the bottom, but is it still possible that there are contams present or it's rotting? I've got 5 more jars colonizing in the same room, and I don't want them to be contaminated by a tiny cake that will probably only produce 1 or 2 shrooms.

I can post pictures of the cake if you like, but there's not much to see.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #13221606 - 09/20/10 07:33 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

After two flushes, it's mostly done.
New visible growth is likely to be something other than cubensis.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinedeadwing0
Stranger
Male
Re: Waterlogged cake [Re: Doc_T]
    #13221608 - 09/20/10 07:35 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I thought that might be the case as well, but the growth looks exactly like myc, and is in the same location (the bottom of the cake) as before. I suppose it could be cobweb, but I've had really good luck with contams. Perhaps I should dispose of it in a flower bed and leave it to itself. :laugh:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale