Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Careful what we post [Re: Ythan]
    #13139515 - 09/02/10 07:13 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
Well you probably don't have to be concerned, if anyone comes under fire it will be us (the admins). It is something that I worry about occasionally, though. Most sites our size would probably fly under the radar indefinitely, but due to our controversial content we have to be extra-careful about following the laws to the letter. And there's also the point RR brought up which I basically agree with. Intellectual property laws aside, people should be able to profit from their labor. If someone takes the time to research and write an article, and we reproduce it in full so nobody visits their site, we're depriving them of their (already limited) opportunities to monetize the content. Given the relatively small amount of traffic involved it's hardly the crime of the century, but it isn't "right" either.

The problem is, it's way more convenient the way we do it now. People can use our search engine to find articles, and they don't have to worry about broken links. But we should probably be considering other possibilities, eg. keep a cached copy of articles for search and archival purposes, but display the original site in an iframe as long as the link hasn't expired.

Ythan, I think it's super-cool that you'd consider working on this.
Meanwhile, could we have a rule that news stories get a link and one paragraph here, or a couple quotes?
Or something to keep us vaguely legal and just.

Thanks!

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Careful what we post [Re: Doc_T]
    #13140059 - 09/02/10 09:30 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i understand the shroomerys position and fully agree with anything you have to do to protect this community, but in regards to this in general.  People have been passing around newspapers, sharing movies, books, ect for as long as they have been around.  Personally i feel anyone trying to step in on those things is just being a bloodsucker, i.e. the lawyers and newspapers starting this trend.

the real problem here in this case is that newspapers have failed to "get" with the times.  They need a real way to compete with the internet, and the only thing they can apparently come up with is suing people who use the internet:lol:

and whats even funnier, is alot of these newspaper places have been caught in the past doing exactly what were doing but worse...using it for profit.  They aren't even real reporters in alot of cases.  The small articles from real reporters get there money from there community buying there papers, and the big articles well most of that is about Britney spears so i don't even think anyone spreads those articles :lol:  and some of the other stuff anyone could figure out like weather, but oh noes if they get there way i won't even be able to tell you guys a tornado is about to hit, ok a bit exaggerated but :lol: who knows, plus in alot of ways this could be pressure from the gov to help stop people spreading REAL news

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Careful what we post [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #13140070 - 09/02/10 09:33 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Passing around a paper passes the ads. Pasting a story doesn't.
A news website makes money from the ads, they have to- so it's fair to go to the site to read news.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

#13140196 - 09/02/10 10:01 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The irony is that posting these entire quoted articles often leads me to explore news pages I would never even find before, because links are always posted. A smart company would realize that having their stories posted here is an automatic demographic-targeted advertisement that's gonna draw clicks from people that otherwise would have never even knew the story or article existed...

Do a lot of us just read the article here and move on? Yes, but I'm willing to be it generates traffic for them regardless. s' how the internet tends to work.

--------------------

wat man rly

Offlinerodfarva
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=====-----=-=-=-=-I
Male

#13141555 - 09/03/10 05:38 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Passing around a paper passes the ads. Pasting a story doesn't.
A news website makes money from the ads, they have to- so it's fair to go to the site to read news.

i kindof went on a rant earlier. When grandma sends me news paper cut-outs is she really depriving a company of their intellectual rights?

Maybe the key isn't pragmatism, maybe its context. In social exchange, it can hardly be said that your property rights override my ability to use something i bought, or even give it to someone else.

I pay for bandwidth and for hardware. Hell i might even click on one of your ads by mistake.

Think about it like this; lets say your at a store and you pick up a paper and read a few articles. What do you think would happen if they tried passing a law that said people cant read newspapers/magazines until they paid for them?

should there be police action? lawsuits?

They put it on a shelf in public and i can go look at it. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Re: Careful what we post [Re: rodfarva]
    #13142561 - 09/03/10 01:45 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Think about it like this; lets say your at a store and you pick up a paper and read a few articles. What do you think would happen if they tried passing a law that said people cant read newspapers/magazines until they paid for them?

That's kind of a false analogy. It's more like if you go to a store with a photocopier, made a thousand copies of the day's paper, blank out the ads, and then give it away to entice customers into your own store.

Offlinerodfarva
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=====-----=-=-=-=-I
Male

Re: Careful what we post [Re: Ythan]
    #13142568 - 09/03/10 01:47 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

true^ .. really im ranting on this till i tease out the best position i believe in. Really something is broken, and im working my way to what and why.

--------------------

Invisibledurian_2008S
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Careful what we post [Re: rodfarva]
    #13142957 - 09/03/10 03:19 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

At a graduation ceremony, BO said that there was an info overload on the www, that some of it didn't rank so high on the truth meter, and that this was even a potential danger to democracy, itself.

One of the solutions offered was to have govt-credentialed news. This would be copyrighted, in order to prove it's veracity.

Unlicensed users would be sued, not for free speech, not for dissidence, but for copyright infringement.

Divergent opinions would be treated like compromised, intellectual property, and it's consumption would be carefully tracked, in order to assure the legitimacy of it's distributors.

But, let's face it. The issues were already old hat.

The above rumor, if it is true, would only be a minor development of recognized facts:

From their frequent and conditional use of tax-based subsidies, to inescapable and emotionally unhinging advertising, to their profiling of the disinterested and access to the buying preferences at other establishments, to their control over the private lives of their employees and subsequent manipulation, to the Pavlovian political conditioning of their audiences -- everything advertisers do is predicated upon an abject lack of privacy.

Edited by durian_2008 (09/04/10 12:09 PM)

Offlinedondoodle
Stranger
Re: Careful what we post [Re: veggie]
    #13146651 - 09/04/10 01:54 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:
Just goes to show there is no level so low that a slimeball lawyer will not go to try and get a few bucks.
Judges need to have the balls to toss out frivolous lawsuits like these.

--------------------
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.
~ William Shakespeare

First you have to kill the capitalists who  buy the politicians to make the laws for them. Your order of culpability is out of focus.

Large and small capitalists own the government. The the extent lawyers are capitalists they are culpable.

--------------------
End American imperialism and colonization around the world and among the people conquered within the domestic empire.

Edited by dondoodle (09/04/10 01:57 PM)

Offlinedondoodle
Stranger
Re: Careful what we post [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13146664 - 09/04/10 01:57 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Fair use says you can use excerpts of an article to make a point, as long as you include the source.  To use the whole enchilada is illegal and can/will result in damage awards.  People can't expect to work for free.  You wouldn't like it if someone downloaded your paycheck from work before it made it to your bank account.
RR

No it's not theft, it's piracy. Those are different things.

--------------------
End American imperialism and colonization around the world and among the people conquered within the domestic empire.

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight evil with funk
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere North of Normal
Re: Careful what we post [Re: dondoodle]
    #13149844 - 09/05/10 11:04 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

dondoodle said:

No, they really aren't. The legal concept of theft was originally based around the assumption (valid at the time) that all property was physical. Now that we've accepted that (at least legally) ideas can be property we have to accept that the intentional unauthorized use of intellectual property constitutes a form of theft (again purely in a legal sense). For that matter piracy is just another word for theft (my dictionary defines it as "the practice of attacking and robbing ships at sea" modern piracy is just the practice of robbing content producers on the internet - giving it another name to make yourself feel like you're a movie character instead of a thief is just silly).

There are areas where the rights holders are trying to overstep their rights by preventing what would have previously been considered lawful copying and use (or to prevent others from capitalizing their markets) but that doesn't justify depriving them of what rights to intellectual property they do deserve. If you can't live with being a thief either stop stealing or start looking for a solution where the content producers can be reasonably compensated for their work.

--------------------
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone, may the four winds blow you safely home
Curriculum vapidum (dry herb vapes)

Edited by NizzyJones (09/05/10 11:11 AM)

Invisibledurian_2008S
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Careful what we post [Re: dondoodle]
    #13150142 - 09/05/10 12:42 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

dondoodle said:
First you have to kill the capitalists who  buy the politicians to make the laws for them. Your order of culpability is out of focus.

Large and small capitalists own the government. The the extent lawyers are capitalists they are culpable.

Do you know what the 5th Plank of the Communist Manifesto is?

It's easy to blame capitalists, but where does all the capital come from?

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Fair use says you can use excerpts of an article to make a point, as long as you include the source.  To use the whole enchilada is illegal and can/will result in damage awards.  People can't expect to work for free.  You wouldn't like it if someone downloaded your paycheck from work before it made it to your bank account.
RR

Quote:

dondoodle said:

Firstly, who determines the value of paper money, and how?

Secondly, information, itself, is an intangible, of no determinate value.

Thirdly, in the case of a literal object, which exists in the real world, like, say, an apple or a shovel, do I get to sell you something and tell you how to use it, at a later date, after it has passed into your possession?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles