Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecubekyle
We are all energy
Male User Gallery

homestead kit help.
    #13106036 - 08/26/10 04:00 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hey I'm new here and id like some tips on my homestead kit if possible. I know what most of you think, that it was a bad idea to buy it or it wont work and whatnot. Well here's some pics of how it's doing. I haven't had a problem with contaminations yet and everything seems to be doing good. please tell me what you think about it. (not the kit itself but how its doing) I don't really care that i payed too much for it, really at 70 dollars an eighth up here for prices and once in a year maybe they come around. I think i made a good decision!
some pics look green but its the lighting.

--------------------
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
An eternity in an hour."   

William Blake

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecubekyle
We are all energy
Male User Gallery

Re: homestead kit help. [Re: cubekyle]
    #13106074 - 08/26/10 04:09 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Someone please comment tell me how long untill i might be seeing some mushrooms.

--------------------
An eternity in an hour."   

William Blake

Offlinek4ge
Male User Gallery

#13106110 - 08/26/10 04:19 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Some information may help.

What mushrooms are they?
How long has it been in fruiting conditions?
What are the fruiting conditions?

--------------------
All posts by this user are not to be taken seriously.
Seriously.

Offlinecubekyle
We are all energy
Male User Gallery

Re: homestead kit help. [Re: k4ge]
    #13106138 - 08/26/10 04:23 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

B+ cubensis I think.  But I'm not sure. The fruiting conditions are 70 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit, 95 to 100 percent humidity and about 12 hours daily of indirect light.  They have been in compost about two weeks id say.  Do you see any pins or primordia. I really don't know what im looking for, this is my first time, thanks!

--------------------
An eternity in an hour."   

William Blake

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #13106513 - 08/26/10 06:08 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

It looks fully colonized, so you got lucky.  Expose to plenty of fresh air and give it a few minutes of direct sunlight each day.  The rest of the time, indirect, but bright light is recommended.  Lift the lid off the kit a few times a day, and use it to fan out the contents.  When the top of the compost starts to dry out, mist lightly to replace the lost moisture.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinecubekyle
We are all energy
Male User Gallery

Re: homestead kit help. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13106741 - 08/26/10 07:15 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

It's not in a container its in a filter patch bag. I was wondering if it drys out at all should i spray some distilled water on it? How long should it be b4 i start seeing growth? I have lots of questions if anyone else can answer.

--------------------
An eternity in an hour."   

William Blake

InvisibleFungal growth
Lootinint
Male User Gallery

Loc: under a rock in your yard
    #13106765 - 08/26/10 07:22 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

doesnt the homested instructions tell you to fruit it in the bag?
you would increase your yield greatly if you would build a shotgun fc per the tek.SGFC TEK<-----clickity-click!

turn the colonized cake out of the bag and mist and fan 3-4 times a day.

Invisiblenopalero
dirt worshipper

Loc: up in ya
    #13106775 - 08/26/10 07:24 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

pins will begin to grow once there is hardly any food source left. once they do start to grow, i would start misting and fanning. make sure there are no pools of water after you mist and fan.

pins look like fingers, soon after they look like micro mushies..

be patient and learn. research all you can in the meantime. use the search function.

--------------------
the dinosaurs will be back.
only that which has passed can be predicted.
life is both a mirror and a window.

THE GRAYS HOPE TO WIN. STOP. RAINBOW NEEDED URGENTLY.

Invisiblenopalero
dirt worshipper

Loc: up in ya
Re: homestead kit help. [Re: nopalero]
    #13106780 - 08/26/10 07:24 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

don't forget to take a trip to the contams section. it's always good to know what could happen if things go wrong.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/22

--------------------
the dinosaurs will be back.
only that which has passed can be predicted.
life is both a mirror and a window.

THE GRAYS HOPE TO WIN. STOP. RAINBOW NEEDED URGENTLY.

Edited by nopalero (08/26/10 07:25 PM)

Invisibleandymc
cocoa beetles from zanzibar
Male User Gallery

#13106781 - 08/26/10 07:25 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

RogerRabbit's your man, he's the A#1 expert.  The same advice applies to the bag except you'll have to use something other than a lid to fan it obviously.

Regular tap water should be fine for misting.  I use Brita-filtered, but I don't imagine that makes much difference.

Once you start giving it fresh air, you should start to see some growth (knots, primordia, pins) within a week.  Possibly less.

For your next grow, read some of the info on this site and/or order yourself a copy of Mr. Rabbit's DVDs and you'll have a lot more fun doing it without the kit.  But you knew we'd say that :thumbup:

--------------------
How I make spore prints
Trade List
My flow hood

If he asks me "Did you have a good time?" I'll say,
"Get the lights, Mr. Grim Reaper"  -odds

Invisiblegus330
Stranger
Male

Loc: south Flag
Re: homestead kit help. [Re: andymc]
    #13106818 - 08/26/10 07:36 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I used the homestead kit along time ago . just follow the instructions and be sure to dunk it after each flush. I got 3 out of mine and was very  satisfied at the time but its way easier to do it your self next time.

--------------------
favorite links

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: homestead kit help. [Re: gus330]
    #13107760 - 08/26/10 10:36 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

If it's a spawn bag, cut the top off, right at substrate level.  You can set the top back on to serve as a humidity dome, but the gap will let more fresh air get in, which is the number 1 pinning trigger.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinecubekyle
We are all energy
Male User Gallery

#13109736 - 08/27/10 12:13 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, so air exchange is the number one pinning factor.  It looks like I have some pins already though I'm not sure.  Homestead will reimburse me if I do not mess with there original setup and something goes wrong. But I will take your advise for now.  I don't see what all the fuss is about with the homestead kit,  It is an awesome educational experience for someone who doesn't have the time, place or any access to equipment at all. I live in Alaska and there aren't much to pick up here and the growing conditions aren't the best.  I'm in the right area for cyans(southeast AK), I haven't found anything yet, but I have a lead on some in Ketchikan September through October .  Not sure what they are yet but he said it will only take two or three medium sized mushrooms for a good trip so I would assume that they are cyans giving they are in an alder forest about 200 ft above sea level with mass rhododendrons around in a park.  So one more question? Do i really have to worry about contams anymore now that it is fully colonized?  I don't have the cleanest house so i'm kinda worried.

--------------------
An eternity in an hour."   

William Blake

Offlinecubekyle
We are all energy
Male User Gallery

#13109780 - 08/27/10 12:25 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

And tell me how is anything but picking wild easier than a homestead kit.  Im not talking down on the mycology of the pf and other techs just saying by experience. I've seen other grows and personally homesteads kit is by far the easiest thing i have ever grown. So easy i have only touched the box it came in once and read the directions once, shake the q tip in the rye and its colonized in 3 weeks then pour into compost and that's what i got.  I know i should use my head and do your technique cause its cheaper and more yeild but really this is about the only way I could order anything without it saying mushroom right on the box. And by the way homestead has great customer service. I was sketchy calling them at first but the lady on the phone was very nice and when i told her my compost was growing mold b4 i could plant she had a new one in the mail at my door in 3 days.

--------------------
An eternity in an hour."   

William Blake

OfflinePandor
Female

#13110211 - 08/27/10 02:09 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think anyone is putting the kit down. It is just so much cheaper in the long run to do it yourself. Plus you learn much more. I used that kit a couple years back, and I agree they are a good company. I also wish now that I had spent the time and money on my own set up instead of the kit. You can learn everything you need to know here and all of the supplies for a lot more mushrooms cost less then that kit.

Offlinecubekyle
We are all energy
Male User Gallery

Re: homestead kit help. [Re: Pandor]
    #13111052 - 08/27/10 05:43 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

No not on this thread but there were mass people saying it sucked and talking a bunch on shit.  I think the kit is great and now since I talked to you guys I have found a few tiny mushrooms. I'm just fanning and misting some here and there. Later I will probably do it myself but for now this will work great. Like i said earlier though i live in Alaska and shipping things up here is expensive. I don't have a store to go buy the supplies. It would cost me a ferry ride(80) and ridiculous prices at Wallmart in Ketchikan.

--------------------
An eternity in an hour."   

William Blake

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

#13111067 - 08/27/10 05:49 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i figured canning supplies would be easy to find in alaska :shrug:

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

OfflinePandor
Female

Re: homestead kit help. [Re: k00laid]
    #13111436 - 08/27/10 07:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

If I am not mistaken, the kit ran me $120 plus shipping. I am pretty sure  I could have all the materials for a beginners PK tek grow shipped to my door for less, not that the matters, just stating something for you to potentially think about in the future. I am glad your enjoying your kit, and I enjoyed mine back then. But I always wondered if I could do it myself. There is a lot of pride in figuring all this shit out and doing it on your own.

BTW gratz on your pins!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: homestead kit help. [Re: k00laid]
    #13111445 - 08/27/10 07:48 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Homestead kits are one of the best out there.  They work fine.  Some people will talk shit about anything.

Another way to look at it is if the hobby bug bites you, you'll want to learn to do it all yourself.  However, for those who buy kits from legitimate suppliers, they're a great way to learn.

If you want to do it yourself next time, these brf tek videos are a nice place to start.  Watch the rest of the sample videos on the site to get an idea what's on the DVD.  For the price of a kit, you could get the DVD and learn agar work, straw, compost, etc.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineMaharishi_2_U
Opt Out Super Fag
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Streets Flag
    #13111524 - 08/27/10 08:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Congrats on the pins man!!!!
Keep on around here and you will get the bug in no time.
RR is correct, some people (like me) enjoy talking shit.  Do what works for you, the proof is, and always will be, in the pudding :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate