Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner
    #13096243 - 08/24/10 03:37 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner
August 23, 2010 - AlterNet
By Tony Newman and Stephen Gutwillig

Ten weeks from Election Day, it’s clear how much Prop. 19 has already accomplished for the drug policy reform movement

Californians have a chance to make history in November when they vote on Proposition 19, which would legalize marijuana for adults over 21. Polls collectively show voters split but leaning toward this momentous stand against failed marijuana prohibition. Ten weeks from Election Day, it’s clear how much Prop. 19 has already accomplished for the drug policy reform movement.

Conventional wisdom about changing marijuana laws previously called for waiting until at least 2012. It was assumed waiting would allow the reform movement time to build more support for the issue and to rely on the larger, younger electorate that inevitably accompanies a presidential election. Sensing the time was right this year, Oakland-based medical marijuana entrepreneur Richard Lee ignored that conventional wisdom. He brought together a top notch team to carefully draft an initiative, put up his own money to collect signatures, built an impressive campaign, and took Prop. 19 to the people.

Today, Richard Lee already appears remarkably prescient.

Prop. 19 is arguably the highest profile voter initiative in the nation and has unleashed a torrent of global interest. The initiative has generated thousands of international stories, explicitly discussing this alternative to our disastrous policies. In particular Prop. 19 has radically accelerated the public’s understanding of the relative harms of marijuana, tobacco, and alcohol, validating the widespread suspicion that a fundamental hypocrisy lies at the heart of the outright ban on marijuana -- as evidenced by the endorsement of former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Joycelyn Elders.

Prop. 19 has inspired an unprecedented coalition in support of reforming our futile and wasteful marijuana laws. Students for Sensible Drug Policy and Firedoglake.com organized students, law-enforcement, libertarians and progressives to launch their “Just Say Now” campaign. The California NAACP, the state ACLU affiliates, and the National Black Police Association all endorsed Prop. 19 specifically citing the chilling racial disparities in the enforcement of marijuana laws. Latino leadership, starting recently with Assembly Member Hector De La Torre and the Latino Voters League, has just begun to weigh in as well. Finally, organized labor -- from longshoremen to food to communications workers -- for the first time offered endorsements because controlling and regulating marijuana will mean jobs and revenue that the state currently cedes to criminal cartels and the black market.

This coalition signifies that serious people take regulating marijuana for adults seriously. Prop. 19 is now at the heart of spirited debates at kitchen tables, in college classrooms, and in halls of power that once assumed the inevitability of the status quo. In fact, former Mexican president Vicente Fox just endorsed marijuana legalization precisely to address the prohibition-related bloodbath in Mexico that has taken 28,000 lives in a little over three and a half years.

In this country Prop. 19 has truly sped up the political debate on marijuana policy overall, one that was previously dominated by medical marijuana issues. The major candidates for statewide office in California generally oppose Prop. 19. However professional politicos, including California Democratic Party chair John Burton, already identify marijuana legalization as a potential game-changing issue to drive Democratic turnout among younger, progressive voters in this and future elections. That’s precisely why Lieutenant Governor nominee and San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, with a potentially long future in state politics, publicly agonized over his decision to not endorse Prop. 19 ("I'm frustrated with myself on this one, to be truthful."). Even the California PTA has acknowledged these shifting winds by taking a neutral rather than opposing position, signaling the historic debate that must have occurred within its venerable ranks.

All of us who have worked for years to educate and mobilize against the failed drug war owe thanks to Richard Lee and the Prop. 19 campaign. The initiative has created opportunities that conventional wisdom simply couldn’t have predicted. Anyone sick and tired of our disastrous marijuana prohibition has been handed a chance to make history. California voters should not only go to the polls but to talk to friends, family, and neighbors about Prop. 19.

Prop. 19 is already a winner. Imagine when we make this the vote heard around the world.

Tony Newman is communications director for the Drug Policy Alliance.
Stephen Gutwillig is the California state director of the Drug Policy Alliance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLennyk
D-O-L-E Dole
Male

Loc: Near the Ground
Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: veggie]
    #13096291 - 08/24/10 03:46 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

kick ass

--------------------
Stealth Lighting 
Cubensis benefits beyond cluster headaches
Mush Extract! (You can even use Vinegar!)
Flame your needle in style with a sexy mini butane torch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What happens in the Romper Room, stays in the Romper Room.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts are written by the sex deprived helper monkey Curious George.

Offlinecowtipper7
inverted
Male

Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: Lennyk]
    #13096342 - 08/24/10 04:00 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Whoot Whoot

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: veggie] * 1
    #13096797 - 08/24/10 05:53 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

For those living in California, get out and vote!  If it fails, and you didn't vote, then you are the reason.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleBrasco
Stranger
Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: Seuss]
    #13096926 - 08/24/10 06:28 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Anybody have a guess on what will happen to weed prices if this passes?  At first I was thinking they would collapse down to practically nothing.  But, I also foresee people from all over the country going to Cali to buy in bulk and smuggle back to their home state.  This will keep demand up and therefore prices up.  I have a feeling that pounds of dank will go from their current $3,500-$4,500 to $2,000.

Also, if the state taxes the stuff, will that affect the price as well?

InvisibleeLShaMukO
Male User Gallery

Loc: far away
Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: Brasco]
    #13097058 - 08/24/10 07:03 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

fuck taxed marijuana

home grown = 0 tax :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinedondoodle
Stranger
Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: eLShaMukO]
    #13097090 - 08/24/10 07:11 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I see a lot of people celebrating before the game is over. I still have not gotten an answer from anyone who can say what they are going to do when this is challenged in court and it is ruled illegal.

What then? Whine? Lynch the supreme court? Write your senator a nasty letter? What is the plan when this is declared illegal?

--------------------
End American imperialism and colonization around the world and among the people conquered within the domestic empire.

Offlinemelfdis
Strangerer

Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: dondoodle]
    #13097808 - 08/24/10 09:52 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

dondoodle said:
I see a lot of people celebrating before the game is over. I still have not gotten an answer from anyone who can say what they are going to do when this is challenged in court and it is ruled illegal.

What then? Whine? Lynch the supreme court? Write your senator a nasty letter? What is the plan when this is declared illegal?

Why do think it will be declared illegal?  14 states currently have medical marijuana laws that are in direct conflict with federal law and none of them have been declare illegal by the supreme court.

OfflineJustChill
Male

Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: melfdis]
    #13097869 - 08/24/10 10:04 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Excited but wont be 21 when it happens.

what im wondering if where are they going to sell it?
anywhere or do you have to have a license?

Offlinechieftoker
smoothe operator
Male

Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: JustChill]
    #13097978 - 08/24/10 10:24 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

im sure head shops would be the first to have it :gethigh:

InvisiblePsilliCoder
xXxXxXx

Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: chieftoker]
    #13098250 - 08/25/10 12:06 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

--------------------

Offlinebluecurry
Dragons don't
Male User Gallery

Loc: half past purple, between... Flag
Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: PsilliCoder]
    #13098274 - 08/25/10 12:19 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

GOOD, hopefully this will take some of the focus off marijuana in the coming years and put much more focus on psychedelics.

It's where we need to be.

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder Flag
Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: veggie]
    #13098293 - 08/25/10 12:29 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

"In this country Prop. 19 has truly sped up the political debate on marijuana policy overall, one that was previously dominated by medical marijuana issues. The major candidates for statewide office in California generally oppose Prop. 19. However professional politicos, including California Democratic Party chair John Burton, already identify marijuana legalization as a potential game-changing issue to drive Democratic turnout among younger, progressive voters in this and future elections. That’s precisely why Lieutenant Governor nominee and San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, with a potentially long future in state politics, publicly agonized over his decision to not endorse Prop. 19 ("I'm frustrated with myself on this one, to be truthful."). Even the California PTA has acknowledged these shifting winds by taking a neutral rather than opposing position, signaling the historic debate that must have occurred within its venerable ranks."

I like how since it's so close in the running, all of the politicos are remaining neutral.

Great article, though!:thumbup:

--------------------

:murray:

Offlinewhatever123
Whatever I did, I'm sorry
Male User Gallery

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: JustChill]
    #13098306 - 08/25/10 12:35 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

You all should read the initiative here: http://yeson19.com/node/6

Quote:

JustChill said:
what im wondering if where are they going to sell it?
anywhere or do you have to have a license?

It's up to the individual cities to decide whether to allow marijuana to be sold within their limits. Regardless of what the city says though, every person over 21 is allowed possession of up to an ounce, and can grow in a 5'x5' space (but only one per residence). Now if the city says they can sell within the limits, they also create the regulations, handle licensing and determine the tax. And yeah, it'll be taxed. But imagine the drop in price when you take out the compensation for the risks people are taking, and you add a lot more competition in an open market. It'll balance itself out nicely.

--------------------
Koala Koolio said:
there should be a 3 month waiting period between registration and posting. :wink:

OfflineEdgeChaos
Still a stranger

Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: Seuss]
    #13098519 - 08/25/10 02:26 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
For those living in California, get out and vote!  If it fails, and you didn't vote, then you are the reason.

InvisibleDomNoon
Stranger

Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: Brasco]
    #13098577 - 08/25/10 03:21 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Brasco said:
Anybody have a guess on what will happen to weed prices if this passes?  At first I was thinking they would collapse down to practically nothing.  But, I also foresee people from all over the country going to Cali to buy in bulk and smuggle back to their home state.  This will keep demand up and therefore prices up.  I have a feeling that pounds of dank will go from their current $3,500-$4,500 to $2,000.

Also, if the state taxes the stuff, will that affect the price as well?

My best friend goes to Humboldt University. He buys ounces for 200. Those same ounces of fire ass shit hes getting, i get here in miami for 300. He is telling me there is TOO MUCH where he is. Long story short. I believe prices will go down. Hes not even buying bulk.

What we have come to believe is that weed will be like wine. You will have your 10 dollar bottles or boxed wine etc. Then you will have your top notch shit. There is already more than enough supply of top notch. People are waiting to make the move if things go legal. Even more are waiting to make the move if the feds mind their own fucking business.

Weed will be the same, or cheaper.

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery
Loc: Flag
Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: DomNoon]
    #13098862 - 08/25/10 07:17 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

a) i fucking LOVE california
b) if this passes i'll have tears of joy, not only because weed is awesome, but because it's evolution (harnessing the powers of the Earth, legally, oh my)
c) i won't be able to utilize for a couple of years, damn

i wonder how companies would deal with this? if it's legal, are they still gonna drug test everybody?

i have such a smile on my face after seeing this

if they start taxing it and making it eas(ier) to get, then selling weed as a living will be practically useless. sure a bunch of drug dealers will be pissed, but it's so much better for the average person and the state in general.

--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (08/25/10 07:23 AM)

OfflineThe Green Bastard
friendly hippie
Male

Loc: parts unkown....
Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: pfxtc]
    #13098974 - 08/25/10 08:15 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

pfxtc said:
if they start taxing it and making it eas(ier) to get, then selling weed as a living will be practically useless. sure a bunch of drug dealers will be pissed, but it's so much better for the average person and the state in general.

FUCK THEM!!!! Dude seriously fuck those dealers and growers(imo) who want to keep it illegal because they make more money that way. i am so fucking sick of drug dealer bullshit I can't wait to just go down to the 7-11 and get a quarter of northern lights or whatever the hell I feel like smoking that day. lol

There are 2 types of people that want it illegal; those making money off it, and those who are uneducated about it.

--------------------
Well, if that's the case, then Julian, he is like a superhero. Holy fuck, Ricky, you know who you are? You're Dope-Man! He can smoke a pound in a single bound.

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: The Green Bastard]
    #13099360 - 08/25/10 10:22 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think Prop 19 is written very well at all.  A few counties currently have far more tolerant laws than Prop 19 allows for.

--------------------

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

Re: California's Marijuana Legalization Initiative is Already a Winner [Re: dondoodle]
    #13099373 - 08/25/10 10:25 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

dondoodle said:

In my opinion this would be the point at which to start an armed militant revolution and simply go murder everybody who's in office who couldn't be verified as supporting the people's will. Make it law that if a representative contradicts a vast and outstanding public opinion they lose thier office.

Don't vote for any incumbents.

--------------------

wat man rly

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom