Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
Yesterday I harvested from a cake, and I didn't take off all the mushrooms and abhorts because a few of them seemed small but still growing. I came back about 12 hours later to look, and something about the way one of them was leaning concerned me, so I took the cake out to pick the other three.
These mushrooms just sort of fell off in my hand in a highly worrying manner. They had little spots of green in the blue bruising at their bases, and right by them on the cake was a new bit of overly-fluffy mycelium. I rubbed at this with my thumb, and doing so quickly revealed a green patch.
Since it hadn't gotten far I cut that chunk of the cake off with a sterile knife and put it back in the chamber. However, I looked this morning and that cake now has on it what I believe to be cobweb mold, although I'm not sure. Anyway, I threw it out. What precautions can I take to protect the rest of my cakes in that chamber?
It was a dark green. I know what mycelium bruising looks like, this wasn't it.
I tentatively diagnosed cobweb mold on the area that I cut because the whole area seemed to have been "dusted" with a fine white fuzz, with very fine, translucent fibers at the end. I wasn't positive, but I have several other cakes in the same chamber and I don't want to risk massive contamination.