Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrREECE
The One

Loc: CANADA
why cant I grow shrooms?? what is going wrong??
    #1303796 - 02/12/03 08:15 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I really appreciate you people who are willing to help me out!!! I just lost 3 more cakes!!! :confused: I dont know what I am doing wrong!!! when they start to grow they turn different colors!!! I get either blue or gold!!! I do everything in the pf tek except I dont have a pressure cooker!!! I use brown rice flower and vermiculite!!! I spray the air with lysol before I start!! What am I doing wrong!!! I have lost the last 13 cakes!!! I am not going to buy spores ever again!!! Could the spores have been contaminated?????? What is going on??? Is there an easier way!!! PLs help!!! could my vermicutlite be contaminated??? I am so frustrated!!! Any suggestions would be great!!! :frown:

Thanks in advance :wink:
MrREECE 

--------------------
Hey all 'JUST BLAZE'

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTeRzMaStA
Psilocybin Pimp

Re: why cant I grow shrooms?? what is going wrong?? [Re: MrREECE]
    #1303866 - 02/12/03 08:52 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Your vermiculite is most definatley contaminated, but so is everybody's.  That is why you steralize it :wink:.  If you have used the same print for the last 13 jars your print could be contaminated.  I'd say improve on your sterile technique.  Remember to take a shower and wear freshly laundered clothes.  People don't realize it, but the cultivator himself is a huge risk for contamination.  Wipe down your syringe with alcohol inbetween jars.  Wipe your whole work space with alcohol.  Get a dust mask and some latex gloves.  Make sure you are as sterile as you can possibly be while making syringes and inoculating.  If your syringes get contaminated you're fucked.  Best of luck. 

--------------------
Think for yourself; Question Authority

Offlinemoldmaster
mold fighter forlife
Loc: contamville, Trich
    #1303878 - 02/12/03 09:01 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Hmm. blue and gold. Blue can be penicillin or bruising. Both usually go away in a few days. Gold could be to much water in the jars. A person I know dunked their cakes and set them directly on really wet perlite and they turned gold. Once I put way to much water in the jar and the jar turned gold. When do they turn color? Is it at the end? It might be the syringe, but it sounds like your atmosphere. I have ordered tons of syringes and only one has ever been a failure. I told the company that I bought them from and they sent me four to replace the one.

--------------------
Wham bam kick yo ass contam. Mold doesn't even dare to enter my shit because I have the remedy

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #1303880 - 02/12/03 09:02 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

AFOAF asked me to ask you how long did you steam your jars?

My friend also asked me to ask you if you made your own syringes or bought them?

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Edited by Roadkill (02/12/03 09:03 PM)

OfflineLikwidCid
    #1303884 - 02/12/03 09:05 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I'm still new to this but your best investment will be to go purchase a PC. Well that's what I think, but what the heck do I know? I just lost my casing to contams. I'm so pissed. I have very little funds and they need to be spent on priorities. No shrooms for awhile for me...ramble ramble....rant rant....

Offlinemoldmaster
mold fighter forlife
Loc: contamville, Trich
Re: why cant I grow shrooms?? what is going wrong?? [Re: LikwidCid]
    #1303895 - 02/12/03 09:14 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

if you don't have any money to invest, then go to sporeworks and buy a myco bag and a syringe. If you don't get shrooms to grow that way, then you are helpless

--------------------
Wham bam kick yo ass contam. Mold doesn't even dare to enter my shit because I have the remedy

Offlinexpander33
Stranger
Re: why cant I grow shrooms?? what is going wrong?? [Re: moldmaster]
    #1308259 - 02/14/03 12:58 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

When i first started with the pf-tek last early november, I didnt get my first successful colonized cake till late janurary. I never gave up because i shroomed a year ago and it was the best thing ever that has happed to me and I know it was worth trying till i got it right. I would invest in a pressure cooker. I got one for 15 bucks at walmart. Then i got 2 ecuador syringes from two different websites to make sure i would not fail. good luck.

OfflineHafrican
Mega-ultrachicken

Loc: SW Azerbaijan
    #1308577 - 02/14/03 03:47 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

"Cleanliness is next to godliness."

Seriously, I think that around 75% of dust and spores are from dead skin/hair and pet dander. Do you have any cats/dogs. Lysol is kind of pricey. In addition, try spraying a 10% solution of bleach water everywhere or isopropyl alcohol solution. Move slow, turn off any hvac equipment, and clean where your jars will be incubating. AFOMMF (a friend of my meerkat's friend) had 3 quarts go bunk cause he put them in a corner covered with animal hair. Also, wear long sleeves and buy a 3M dust mask.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1308598 - 02/14/03 04:02 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Where does the contamination start?
How long do you sterilize in the pot?

Invisibledeprave
GrandmasterToker

Loc: DownUnder
Re: why cant I grow shrooms?? what is going wrong?? [Re: Anno]
    #1309019 - 02/14/03 10:54 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

make sure the incubation area is sterile, the jars are getting good air exchange, and that you are sterlizing for enough time

--------------------

NONE OF THE ABOVE IS TRUE I LIKE TO WRITE STORIES

OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
    #1309034 - 02/14/03 11:14 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

just adding my $1.50 ( damn inflation  :wink:  )  but, even though there will be a lot of people saying this isn't necessary, but do you flame the syringe between EVERY jar?  when starting SWIM cut down contams by 75% ( at least ) by doing this. He tried

• flaming once.   
  • flaming once then alcohol wipe between jars- 
  • alcohol wipe on every stage

once he starting flaming between EVERY jar, his contam rate way way way down.

Quote:

Could the spores have been contaminated?????? 

its a possibility, but doubtful if purchased from a vendor (tho i have bought severely contaminated plates before) what you do, to see if your sterilization is sound, is wash out the jars you lost, rinse in bleachy water, rinse them well again, and make a couple jars, just as if you plan on innoculating them, and leave them set,  if your not getting them sterile, they will contam, and you know thats where your problem lies. 

--------------------
ISO: Orissa, Malabar, z strain

OfflineMrREECE
The One

Loc: CANADA
Re: why cant I grow shrooms?? what is going wrong?? [Re: ChromeCrow]
    #1310625 - 02/15/03 08:00 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Hey alll thanks for the input!!! I did flame the needle between each jar !!

I do have 2 cats and I didnt wear any special clothing or mask!!! maybe that was my problem!!! Or it could have been that I didn't boil my verm!!!

I boiled the jars first for 1.5 hours then let cool. then filled with substrate then boiled that for 1.5 hours!!!

I am going to try popcorn!!! I am going to boil it a few times before I put it in the jars!! any other suggestions??

--------------------
Hey all 'JUST BLAZE'

Offlinegreenshaman
    #1310861 - 02/16/03 02:16 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

You'll have a lot more luck if you invest in a pressure cooker and cook em at 15 psi for 60 mins then let them cool overnight.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate