Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineYith
Stranger
Male

Loc: Pennsylvania
Please analyze my entire planned bulk grow process!
    #12745163 - 06/15/10 02:48 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

DISCLAIMER: This is what *I* typed up as a plan for a future bulk grow process.  I am not necessarily right about any processes written about in this post.

Upon realizing the stupefying amount of different approaches and fractured information (albeit useful, but commonly contradicting) of the processes from empty jars to dried mushrooms, I realized in order to keep my sanity in developing a plan and guide for how I will fool-proof a bulk grow and optimize every aspect of it I would have to write down the entire process to make it one, hopefully, gap-less ideal of a growing guide for myself.

Parts where I ask questions/am unclear of the most optimized method are highlighted red.

Quote:

1.  Use Quart Jars with two holes.  One large hole for gas exchange. One smaller hole for inoculation point.  The inoculation point is covered with RTV auto silicone to create a self healing inoculation point and the gas exchange hole will have Tyvek acquired from free USPS envelopes glued via the RTV silicone on both the underside of the jar like and the top of the jar lid.  Two layers of Tyvek for extra protection (but a larger gas exchange hole since air is more restricted with two pieces of Tyvek rather than just one).

2. Buy Rye Berries for 12 Quart Jars.  Organic preferred. Follow "Let's Grow Mushrooms! 5 Steps to Perfect Grain Spawn" DVD section.

3. Use home-made glove box to inoculate sterilized Quart Jars.  Wiping 91% Alcohol  on all inside surfaces of glove box.  Use Lysol spray inside of glove box.  Place quart jars  and  "B+ Strain" syringe inside of glove box with extra 91% alcohol.  Have home-made alcohol lamp lit outside of glove box for sterilizing "B+ Strain" syringe (keeping in mind alcohol/Lysol vapors may still be present inside of glove box).

Wipe tops of quart jars, especially the inoculation hole covered with RTV auto silicone.  (Getting the Tyvek wet from 91% Alcohol shouldn't matter?)

Sterilize "B+ Syringe" in homemade alcohol lamp flame until red hot and inoculate through the RTV auto silicone.  (Silicone will close up perfectly as the "B+ Syringe" is pulled out).

Flame sterilize "B+ Syringe" for every single jar

After the Rye Berry Quart jars have been inoculated they will be removed from the homemade glove box and placed on (Any?) shelf.  (Does say, a fan blowing on them matter? An air conditioner vent nearby matter? On the carpet?  Just trying to figure out if these are really fool-proof with the intact Tyvek gas exchange port and the self-healed RTV auto silicone inoculation site. Is there ANYTHING I can do, besides wetting both layers of the Tyvek with water thus causing bacteria/mold to grow right through to get these jars contaminated after they have been inoculated?)

Shake Jars after inoculation (Any dispute?)

Shake Jars at 25%, 50% and 75% (Any dispute?)

4. Substrate:

According to my research so far the very best substrate to use is this (substrate).

-Shroober
Quote:

3 bags of Black Kow (150 lbs total)
1 small bail of straw
2 bricks of coir
2 gallons of vermiculite
few quarts gypsum
hydrated lime bringing PH to 7.5

I will be purchasing a PH tester as the PH is very important to ward off mold and create the most optimal psilocybin mushroom growing conditions.

PH Tester (#1)

PH Tester (#2)

However according to (casing mix conundrum ((Trusted Cultivator)) measuring water percentage in your substrate (as well as casing and casing cover) is very important. The first linked PH tester does not provide this, however, the second linked PH tester is also a moisture tester. (Which in your opinions is the best to get?)

So now the substrate composition, PH and Water level is appropriately determined, now comes pasteurization (rather than sterilization which would require sterile conditions to add the colonized Rye Berries to).

The substrate will be pasteurized using the "Lets Do Straw! Pt. 1" section of the "Let's Grow Mushroom's!" DVD with the following exceptions:

-I will use the previously mentioned substrate rather than straw

-Should I still use 1 cup hydrated lime per 10 gallons of water? Is      this for the PH of the substrate or to aid in pasteurization? Should I worry about PH of the substrate before I pasteurize? Or only after?

Now that the quart jars of Rye Berries are colonized and I have pasteurized substrate (that I should be using withing the day it was pasteurized, possibly a few days after)  I can add my "spawn" to the substrate into a tub/container.

For adding the spawn I will follow the "Let's Do Straw! 2" section of the "Let's Grow Mushrooms!" DVD with the following exceptions

-I will not use a laundry basket. Instead a tub/tray will be used.
-I will use 1 part fully colonized spawn to 4 parts substrate. (25%)
-I will not fill the entire tub, instead I will make the substrate/spawn mix  3" at .5" first spawn layer followed by ((Hopefully)) .5" spawn ((2 Jars)).  Up to the 3" ending with .5" of substrate.) Is this enough for bulk grow? Does this yield enough flushes? Colonize fast? Fast enough to avoid contamination? What recommendations for substrate/spawn layer thickness might you all have? Spawn to substrate ratio?

Now I can let the spawn and substrate colonize! (Is warmer completely better? I'd like to keep my room at a normal temperature but will turn off the A/C to get the temperature close to 85/86 degrees for substrate colonization if it's needed).

Since it has been pasteurized I can safely put a lid on the tub/tray (So no light gets through, to prevent early pinning) and leave the tub alone and let the spawn colonize the substrate.  Also, because of the pasteurization of the substrate I should be able to lift the lid every few days and check the progress of colonization without having to worry about contamination's getting a foothold.

Once my tub(s)/tray(s) has completely colonized I am ready to put my tub(s)/tray(s) into their fruiting chamber!

5. Fruiting Chamber

All though I am not completely set on what fruiting chamber I will use (I am very much leaning towards a "MARTHA" (Martha Tek). I WILL NOT be misting with water bottles and I WILL NOT be fanning with a tub lid :thumbup:.  Which ever fruiting chamber I end up using WILL have automated humidity and automated Free-Air-Exchange.

My fruiting chamber will include one bright fluorescent light (daylight bright 6000k) on a 12 hour on and 12 hour off schedule. 

The temperature will be maintained at around 75 degrees to the best of my ability.

The humidity will be regulated near 100% and I will do my best to not let it drop below 95%.

Cruise along to automated pinning and mushrooms!

Unless of course there are other conditions I should be changing from entering the fruiting chamber to well, fruiting in the chamber.  From everything I am reading I can just leave everything fully automated at the same 12/12 hour on/off light cycle, high humidity and 75 degree temperature!

Formatting really didn't carry through from where I originally typed this!

If you read all of this, thanks!

I typed this up in one go pretty quickly so if something doesn't make sense sorry!

I'm hoping to further polish my plan for a hitch-less grow with help from the Shroomery!

Thanks!

--------------------
See my shadow changing,
Stretching up and over me.
Soften this old armor.
Hoping I can clear the way
By stepping through my shadow,
Coming out the other side.
Step into the shadow.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemadi
Hullu Mykologi
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: North-Europe
Re: Please analyze my entire planned bulk grow process! [Re: Yith]
    #12745487 - 06/15/10 06:18 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Use Lysol spray inside of glove box.

No need to spray it inside box, just wipe the walls and use water to get stuff down.

Quote:

Getting the Tyvek wet from 91% Alcohol shouldn't matter?

No.

Quote:

After the Rye Berry Quart jars have been inoculated they will be removed from the homemade glove box and placed on (Any?) shelf.  (Does say, a fan blowing on them matter? An air conditioner vent nearby matter? On the carpet?  Just trying to figure out if these are really fool-proof with the intact Tyvek gas exchange port and the self-healed RTV auto silicone inoculation site. Is there ANYTHING I can do, besides wetting both layers of the Tyvek with water thus causing bacteria/mold to grow right through to get these jars contaminated after they have been inoculated?)

You should be fine with filter. Just keep them on any shelf.

Quote:

Only once at 25-30%

Quote:

hydrated lime bringing PH to 7.5

No PH up in bulk, only for casing. Mycelium prefers lower PH.

Quote:

However according to (casing mix conundrum ((Trusted Cultivator)) measuring water percentage in your substrate (as well as casing and casing cover) is very important. The first linked PH tester does not provide this, however, the second linked PH tester is also a moisture tester. (Which in your opinions is the best to get?)

I haven't ever measured water percentage, you get it right when you squeeze it when you fill the container.

Quote:

The substrate will be pasteurized using the "Lets Do Straw! Pt. 1" section of the "Let's Grow Mushroom's!" DVD with the following exceptions:

Why not hot water bath it to get proper pasteurization? I don't think that's the way to do that kind of mix.

Quote:

Now that the quart jars of Rye Berries are colonized and I have pasteurized substrate (that I should be using withing the day it was pasteurized, possibly a few days after)  I can add my "spawn" to the substrate into a tub/container.

Use it after it has cooled.

Quote:

-I will not fill the entire tub, instead I will make the substrate/spawn mix  3" at .5" first spawn layer followed by ((Hopefully)) .5" spawn ((2 Jars)).  Up to the 3" ending with .5" of substrate.) Is this enough for bulk grow? Does this yield enough flushes? Colonize fast? Fast enough to avoid contamination? What recommendations for substrate/spawn layer thickness might you all have? Spawn to substrate ratio?

I go usually about 1:3, I don't really measure layer levels. I don't know yout tub size. I don't know your mushrooms genetics.

Quote:

Now I can let the spawn and substrate colonize! (Is warmer completely better? I'd like to keep my room at a normal temperature but will turn off the A/C to get the temperature close to 85/86 degrees for substrate colonization if it's needed).

No warmer cause the substrate generates heat itself.
Quote:

Since it has been pasteurized I can safely put a lid on the tub/tray (So no light gets through, to prevent early pinning) and leave the tub alone and let the spawn colonize the substrate.  Also, because of the pasteurization of the substrate I should be able to lift the lid every few days and check the progress of colonization without having to worry about contamination's getting a foothold.

No peeking! Don't risk it to contaminate. Pasteurization doesn't make it immune to contaminations! Wait at least 10 days and peek.

Quote:

Once my tub(s)/tray(s) has completely colonized I am ready to put my tub(s)/tray(s) into their fruiting chamber!

Not planning to use casing?

That's what came to my mind with reading. Good luck!

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Please analyze my entire planned bulk grow process! [Re: madi]
    #12745711 - 06/15/10 08:13 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Tyvek acquired from free USPS envelopes glued via the RTV silicone on both the underside of the jar like and the top of the jar lid.

While some people get away with using this, that type of tyvek is inferior to standard tyvek(or similar brand) can be found anywhere that sells paint in the form of coveralls.

Quote:

After the Rye Berry Quart jars have been inoculated they will be removed from the homemade glove box and placed on (Any?) shelf.

Any shelf is fine, tyvek doesn't allow for fresh air exchange.  No need to be kept in darkness at any stage as well. 

Quote:

Feel free to add a view port.  While light is a pinning trigger it will not cause premature pinning on it's own.  Fresh air is the #1(or damn close) pinning trigger.  So if you open the lid to check on it you can cause it to switch over to fruiting mode prematurely.

Quote:

The temperature will be maintained at around 75 degrees to the best of my ability.

Optimal temperature while incubating is 75-80f. Bearing in mind that the mycelium produces heat via metabolism while growing though.  In quart jars you're looking at 3-5f at peak growth and in larger substrates it can be significantly higher.  I'd recommend a target of 70f ambient after spawning to bulk.

Quote:

All though I am not completely set on what fruiting chamber I will use

Automated setups are a bit tricky to get right and are not recommended to people new to the hobby. 

I use a hybrid automated shotgun terrarium system that works pretty well.  Another member, Wattballasts uses a similar system and the results from both our setups have been pretty nice.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

OfflineYith
Stranger
Male

Re: Please analyze my entire planned bulk grow process! [Re: Spongiform]
    #12748128 - 06/15/10 05:22 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Wow, thank you guys for putting the time in to answer/read all of that! I think I'm set to get my jars going but I will still have to figure a few things out such as my fruiting chamber.

I figured posting this way would avoid single threads for each and every little question I couldn't find an answer for.

Thanks again guys, wish me luck : )

--------------------
See my shadow changing,
Soften this old armor.
Step into the shadow.

OfflineYith
Stranger
Male

#12764427 - 06/18/10 03:48 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

As for the Tyvek from the USPS not being the best quality, I suppose this is the kind I should have? This is from a suit (as far as I know) from a previous project.

Edit: Nm I realized this is old Tyvek and I don't know where the inoculation holes are!

I'm waiting for my Tyvek envelopes to come.  I'm using two layers with twice the holes.

Even though some say this Tyvek isn't good enough I've seen a lot of other people say they've used it and it worked fine, so I will go with it.

--------------------
See my shadow changing,
Soften this old armor.
Step into the shadow.

Edited by Yith (06/21/10 12:46 AM)

OfflineYith
Stranger
Male

#12955094 - 07/26/10 11:35 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Well my jars are almost done colonizing.  Doesn't look like I have any contaminations yet. 

I am switching to straw for just this time because I didn't have enough time to get all the other supplies.

I can't seem to find a good tek for straw in a tub.

Anyone have a link to one? I've just been searching for a while.. : (

Or would this work?

Straw 1" to 3"

Pasteurize

Get opaque tub or clear tub and tape bottom area that will have straw.

Fill tub up with straw layer/spawn at about 1 to 4 ratio.

Put saran wrap over straw and tuck in on sides and put some pinholes in.

Cover for 10 days or so, maybe leave one side of tub unlatched to make sure I get GE.

Once it's all colonized cut window (put saran over hole) in top of opaque tub or take clear tub out of a black trash bag.

Then just fanning every day and misting to stay at 100% humidity.

Not sure why I can't find a tek I'm pretty sure I read all this from a tek on straw at this site.

Thanks.

--------------------
See my shadow changing,
Soften this old armor.
Step into the shadow.

OfflineYith
Stranger
Male

#12957123 - 07/26/10 05:52 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Bump.

--------------------
See my shadow changing,
Soften this old armor.
Step into the shadow.

Offlinerealfuzzhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: above the smog layer Flag
    #12957179 - 07/26/10 05:58 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

make sure you line your monotub or whatever with a trash bag, so that the substrate does not pull away and create a micro-climate on the side that will create side pins!!

and do not peak! if you let fresh air in you could cause your substrate to start pinning early and you do not want this

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

Loc: No fuckin tellin
Re: Please analyze my entire planned bulk grow process! [Re: realfuzzhead]
    #12957314 - 07/26/10 06:22 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

1:4 ratio is 20% not 25% :rolleyes:

--------------------
Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. But, by that time you're a mile away and you got his shoes, so fuck em.

Offlinerealfuzzhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: above the smog layer Flag
Re: Please analyze my entire planned bulk grow process! [Re: Fungal-one]
    #12958098 - 07/26/10 08:26 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Fungal-one said:
1:4 ratio is 20% not 25% :rolleyes:

hhaaha i was about to flame you, "no! 1/4th is 25% noob"!!

then i realized.. oh yeah.. 5 parts total.. 1/5 is 20%

Offlinear1es
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

#12959248 - 07/26/10 11:36 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

2. Buy Rye Berries for 12 Quart Jars.  Organic preferred. Follow "Let's Grow Mushrooms! 5 Steps to Perfect Grain Spawn" DVD section.

dont forget to add a little gypsum and maybe a little bit of coffee to the soak water

Quote:

Wipe tops of quart jars, especially the inoculation hole covered with RTV auto silicone.  (Getting the Tyvek wet from 91% Alcohol shouldn't matter?)

Sterilize "B+ Syringe" in homemade alcohol lamp flame until red hot and inoculate through the RTV auto silicone.  (Silicone will close up perfectly as the "B+ Syringe" is pulled out).

Flame sterilize "B+ Syringe" for every single jar

Make sure that the room has been sprayed down with oust or something similar. make sure that the ac is off so the air is still, make sure you have clean clothing, a surgical mask if possible, tyvek arm guards, and non powder latex gloves on your hands.

after using up your syringes you can PC some distilled water and after it cools pull it back into the syringe. shake it up and there are a lot more spores in the syring that you can use to inoculate other stuff. u can use the last 2-3ml to make some liquid culture so the next grow goes a bit faster

Quote:

put em someplace warm but no warmer than about 80 degrees. the insides of the cakes/jars will be hotter than the ambient temperature. 86 degrees starts to kill mycelium. if the outside of your jar is 83 the inside may be too hot. 80 degrees is good stuff but lower is fine as well and may help to stop contam growth until your mycelium takes a hold

Quote:

Shake Jars after inoculation (Any dispute?)

if you inocul with spores dont shake or it will take longer for the single cell mycelium to find eachother and combine. wait till the jar is 1/4 colonized then shake once and you should be 100% in a few days. only shake again when breaking up spawn to g2g or to substrate. shaking too much will stall growth

Quote:

I will be purchasing a PH tester as the PH is very important to ward off mold and create the most optimal psilocybin mushroom growing conditions.

not really necessary to get the ph right on substrate. ph is important on the casing layer. you dont really even need to case cubes as per RR. if you do case then you need hydrated lime

Quote:

-I will use the previously mentioned substrate rather than straw

the previous mentioned substrate you should probably put in jars and bring to a temperature of 140-160 for 1.5 hours then let cool. no need for lime in the manure based substrate.

Quote:

-Should I still use 1 cup hydrated lime per 10 gallons of water? Is      this for the PH of the substrate or to aid in pasteurization? Should I worry about PH of the substrate before I pasteurize? Or only after?

hydrated lime for the straw only, dont worry about the poo substrate

Quote:

cant let substrate sit around, when its cool (80 degrees or below) go go go.

Quote:

For adding the spawn I will follow the "Let's Do Straw! 2" section of the "Let's Grow Mushrooms!" DVD with the following exceptions

5" of substrate is the max.

1:4 ratio for manure based substrate
1:10 ratio for straw.

itll colonize fairly well but the more spawn you use  the better. you may take one jar and do a G2G transfer with 10 other jars so you have a bunch  more spawn to use. more spawn=key to bulk. you should keep spawn coming as much as possible

Quote:

thats probably too hot because the insides will be hotter and probably close to 90 degrees with that ambient air temperature. id keep it 80 or below.

Quote:

you can always comtaminate. take the normal precautions like spraying oust and being as clean as possible. say

the more spawn you use the less likely something else will survive if it does land on the substrate. say you have a substrate with spawn in it but you didnt mix it that great and there is a chunk of it with no mycelium in it. anything that gets on that chunk will flourish. more spawn means that it will beat out any other contams.

you can use a layer of plastic wrap that is see through so you dont mess with the co2 content. if you open the lid too much and introduce too much oxygen then you may trick the sub into pinning early. a clear container or plastic wrap can help so you can peek in without messing anything up.

Quote:

5. Fruiting Chamber

All though I am not completely set on what fruiting chamber I will use (I am very much leaning towards a "MARTHA" (Martha Tek). I WILL NOT be misting with water bottles and I WILL NOT be fanning with a tub lid :thumbup:.  Which ever fruiting chamber I end up using WILL have automated humidity and automated Free-Air-Exchange.

My fruiting chamber will include one bright fluorescent light (daylight bright 6000k) on a 12 hour on and 12 hour off schedule. 

The humidity will be regulated near 100% and I will do my best to not let it drop below 95%.

Cruise along to automated pinning and mushrooms!

Unless of course there are other conditions I should be changing from entering the fruiting chamber to well, fruiting in the chamber.  From everything I am reading I can just leave everything fully automated at the same 12/12 hour on/off light cycle, high humidity and 75 degree temperature!

you can case your substrate before putting into fruiting conditions and thats where the hydrated lime comes into play.

Quote:

Thanks!

no problemo

--------------------
":mushroom2:here is nothing lost or wasted in this life.” - Bhagavad Gita

OfflineCalopolus
Crayola Chalk Expert
Male

Loc: Midwest, USA Flag
Re: Please analyze my entire planned bulk grow process! [Re: ar1es]
    #13048295 - 08/13/10 08:56 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Information overload!!!!! This is wonderful! My first grow is just getting ready, as in buying supplies now. My first grow will be a bulk grow, sprint the mile before you can crawl kind of thing. This info is PRICELESS!!!! THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME!

--------------------
Anyone else spend so much time here that when using other sites, especially craigslist, you click the picture expecting the magnifying glass to show up and make the picture bigger?

Muscle shoals has got the swampers

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract