Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Herb Grinder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMahatma Mersh
Dork

Extractions
    #1304776 - 02/13/03 07:26 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I've got a friend that was interested in experimenting with some extractions. He read all of the stuff he could find regarding the process, but he still had some questions. All the methods call for 200 proof ethyl alcohol. Would it be possible to use the 151 found OTC and simply get a less potent result? How much of the active ingredients are extracted from the solid material? Have any of you ever tried anything like this?
Extraction info
He'd appreicate your input and he's sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this. He couldn't really find a better place, so this was the defult.

--------------------
The believer is happy. The doubter is wise.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemohican
Stranger
Re: Extractions [Re: Mahatma Mersh]
    #1304956 - 02/13/03 08:50 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

When performing ethanol-based extraction, 151 or even plain vodka is better than higher proof alcohol. Psilocybin is not very soluble in ethanol (it is VERY soluble in boiling water and in boiling methanol). Psilocin on the other hand if very soluble in hot ethanol and not terribly soluble in methanol.

So, aqueous ethanol (or white vinegar) will work better than pure ethanol. Do note that psilocin is fairly unstable AND you should cool your extract to room or freezer temperature fairly quickly. There appears to be an interaction between the psilocybin and something else that gets extracted that causes it to degrade in warm temperatures.

There are a lot of myths about this that are based on 'folklore' rather than sound fact.

Anonymous

Re: Extractions [Re: mohican]
    #1304983 - 02/13/03 09:12 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

There are a lot of myths about this that are based on 'folklore' rather than sound fact.

Very true.

I'd follow what this man says, or try some pure grain. Seems that some Everclear would work as well as 151 proof vodka, but I could be wrong.

OfflineMetaMountain
New hand

Loc: FromSoFarAwayYouWontBelie...
    #1305136 - 02/13/03 10:19 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

My friend who is a mycologist mentioned to me that psilocin breaks down readily in the presense of light and i was thinking the ticnture should thus be stored in a dark bottle...well it was his opinion not mine ...i am just contemplating.

OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
Re: Extractions [Re: MetaMountain]
    #1305169 - 02/13/03 10:30 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Methanol is supposed to be the way to go. Heet brand methanol is sold at auto supply stores as a brake line cleaner, I believe. It comes in a yellow bottle. After evaporating the methanol off, the final salt can be washed with acetone, leaving behind white crystals.

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

InvisibleMahatma Mersh
Dork

#1305495 - 02/13/03 12:32 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the info guys. Do you know anybody who's taken an extraction? Was is resonably potent? My friend is wondering if it's worth while or just somthing fun to try out once. He has a pretty extreme distaste for shrooms and is looking for a more efficent way of taking them. Plus he almost always gets sick while on them. Do you think an extract would be less likely to cause this?
He was also wondering what the difference between ethanol and ethly alcohol is, if there is one (he feels a little foolish for asking this, as it seems like somthing he should know)

--------------------
The believer is happy. The doubter is wise.

OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
    #1305530 - 02/13/03 12:44 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Ethyl Alcohol = Ethanol

A friend tried some extract that was supposed to be acid, but he could tell from the taste and odor what it really was. He didn't experience any sickness, but he did say he liked how much faster it took to feel the effects. This rapid onset made it easier to dose and maintain an enjoyable trip.

This same friend normally likes to grind up his dry fungus in a blender or coffee grinder and mix the resulting powder with peanut butter. He doesn't get sick taking them like this, but he does when he chews them up.

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

Anonymous

#1305543 - 02/13/03 12:50 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Does anyone have a copy of Albert Hofman's papers? Back in the 50's he isolated and named the active components of the psycoactive mushrooms. That would lead me to think that there is a working extraction metod published in some journal.

i'm nobody.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Herb Grinder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation