Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemrhappy
journeyman
Loc: Illinois
indoor/outdoor p. azurescens cultivation?
    #543683 - 02/07/02 12:25 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Acknowledging that I'm too new to this to try to tackle azures, I also must acknowledge that I'm probably not smart enough to take that good advice. But I have an idea that I thought might work--would appreciate any input. From my understanding, although fruiting these guys indoors is very difficult, it is not too tough to cultivate azure mycelim indoors--as in a kind of "Gottlieb tek." The problem, of course being senescence of the culture resulting from bypassing the spore. On the other hand, outdoor cultivation seems to work, though here in the midwest, it might be a little tough (more on that later).
I thought that maybe I could culture mycelium indoors in some kind of liquid medium, harvest most of that mycelium for mystical journeys, but use some to colonize cardboard and/or woodchips for outdoor cultivation. Then, when (hopefully) some fruit outdoors, I refrain from harvesting them when they're young and potent, but instead allow them to mature enough to collect spore prints. These spores will then be used to start fresh cultures indoors. And I'll leave a few to sporulate on their own, outdoors.
I'm hoping that even if the harsh winters (sometimes, though rarely, subzero, often twenties, sometimes teens and single digits) or harsh summers (sometimes over 100) kill off the entire outdoor plot (any thoughts on that?), by continually adding more colonized medium, I would still get enough carpophores every year to keep the spore part of the life cycle going. I realize that sporeprints from outdoor grown mushies are suspect, but I hope I can afford some attrition there.
Possible problems that I can think of: the senescence factor kicks in after only a generation or 2, so my indoor cultures fade before I get new spores; the outdoor bed has more trouble with the weather than I'd expected, and doesn't do well even with coninuous additions of colonized medium; or spore prints collected from outdoor grown specimens are worse than I thought, leaving me with too few uncontaminated syringes. I'm sure there are many other possible ways for this to fail that I can't think of, but if someone doesn't tell me not to try this, I probably will. STOP ME BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!
If this is a real stupid idea, don't hesitate to tell me, I can take it.

P.S. Azure mycelium (harvested when a saccharimeter indicates the sugars are used up) is as potent as the fruiting bodies at their peak, isn't it???

--------------------
"I wasn't lookin' too good, but I was feelin' real well"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: indoor/outdoor p. azurescens cultivation? [Re: mrhappy]
    #543833 - 02/07/02 02:48 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Many people grow the mycellium indoors before placing in an outdoor plot. Using thin cardboard as a link between staight mycellium and woodchips is common. Procedure is similiar to Ps. cyanescens requirements.

The whole operation can also be done indoors in a closet or dedicated fridge. Proper equipment is needed. There is quite a bit of information including pictures of indoor crops in the book 'How to Identify and Grow Psilocybin Mushrooms' by Julie Stevens and Rich Gee.

Also, it really isn't that hard to take good prints off wild speciemens.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Offlinemrhappy
journeyman
Loc: Illinois
Re: indoor/outdoor p. azurescens cultivation? [Re: ]
    #543851 - 02/07/02 03:04 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks,
I'll have to find that book.

"When you find yourself walking through hell, keep walking," Winston Churchill

--------------------
"I wasn't lookin' too good, but I was feelin' real well"

Offlinecrow man
Bliksem!!!

Loc: Indian country.
Re: indoor/outdoor p. azurescens cultivation? [Re: mrhappy]
    #13022530 - 08/08/10 04:40 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The really big problem you will be facing is Smurfs.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds