Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Ok- who's got a good recipe for lamb curry. Pleeeaaaasee! Thanks!
    #12988037 - 08/02/10 12:45 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Want to cook Indian food for my fiance who has never had any- thought this would be a good way to introduce her to it.  And other ideas also appreciated.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFlusH
Random person on Internet
 User Gallery

Loc: Bizzaro World
Re: Ok- who's got a good recipe for lamb curry. Pleeeaaaasee! Thanks! [Re: superblingtheory]
    #12993437 - 08/03/10 12:27 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Check this out, its awesome food!

http://www.route79.com/food/rogan-josh.htm ; //the website has pictures

Quote:

Route 79 : Rogan Josh (Lamb Curry)

The effects of feeling hungry on the way home

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 29 2004

Lamb Curry: Rogan Josh

If you have read the Lamb Biryani recipe - then you now know what I did with the rest of the Lamb! This is a classic lamb curry - no idea why it's called Rogan Josh - but this recipe is dead simple - and is also a very healthy low-fat dish given the use of fresh lean leg of lamb. Here are the ingredients:

* Around 600-700 grams of leg of lamb - chopped into bite-sized chunks.
* The usual chunks of frozen pulped garlic, ginger your freezer. (no chillie this time!)
* 2 teaspoons salt.
* 1 teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
* 3 teaspoons garam masala
* 2 teaspoons ground coriander
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 2 dessert spoons of plain natural yoghurt
* 1 teaspoon of red chillie powder
* 2 medium onions - finely chopped
* Three-quarters of a tin of peeled plum tomatoes

Ingredients for Rogan Josh (Lamb Curry)

This is a no-fuss method - involving just one pot and your skill and patience as a stirrer of a wooden spoon! First pour a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil into the pot and heat on high until very hot. Throw in the finely chopped onions and stir fry until the pieces start to go soft and translucent. Then throw in the frozen chunks of garlic and ginger and keep stir-frying. (make sure you zapped the frozen chunks for 10 seconds in the microwave first so that the ginger and garlic is not frozen any more!)

Then add all the quantities of ground spices and keep frying - the mixture should be dry-ish - and this is called "dry-frying" - or "pot-roasting". Fry for a few minutes until the heavenly aroma fills up your entire house - and then add the chunks of fresh leg of lamb. Keep stir-frying!

You should stir-fry for around 5 mins on high-ish heat until the meat has fully browned. Then throw in the tinned tomato. I forgot to mention that you should chop all the peeled-plum tomatoes into smallish/finer chunks first with a knife and fork. (Or else you could use pre-chopped tinned tomatoes if you like - but they are usually twice as expensive as the non-chopped ones!)

Stir it all about and let it cook for a few mins before adding a couple of large dollops of plain natural yoghurt. Stir it all in and then put the flame on high to bring it to a boil.

Then put the lid on and immediately transfer to the lowest possible flame burner and then go off and do something else for half and hour. Come back after half hour - take the lid off and give it a stir - and then put lid back on and let it simmer for another half hour. Repeat this for around one and half hours - and you will notice that the consistency of the mixture is a bit thicker - and the colour is bit redder/browner.

At this point it's done! Taste it in order to see if any more salt or chillie powder needs adding - and make sure that the lamb pieces are tender - not chewy! Then sprinkle on a generous handful of freshly chopped coriander leaf and stir it in. Let it rest with the lid on for 5 minutes and it's ready to serve!

This dish is best served in bowls with naan or rice accompaniment (or both) and a side salad of chunky cucumber, tomato, onion and carrot with a dash of lemon or vinegar. Very tasty - and very easy to make.

Have you tried this? Even if you haven't - let me know what you think!
You can leave a comment on this recipe by clicking here.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Ok- who's got a good recipe for lamb curry. Pleeeaaaasee! Thanks! [Re: FlusH]
    #12997221 - 08/03/10 07:05 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

What a coincidence, my sweetie and I just ate some Rogan Josh last night and it is a fine dish no doubt!  However, in my personal preference, when I think of the best lamb curry to my taste, it's gotta be a Pakistani dish known as Karahi Gosht.  Every time I've had it, I'm swimming in thick spicy lamby ecstasy!

I've never produced this dish by my own hand (though am getting excited to try), so I unfortunately cannot provide a recipe that I have seen through myself.  However, after reviewing over ten recipes, I believe that the following three are worthy of attempt and that at least one or two of them is likely to produce a dish very close to that which my heart has fallen for.

Of note, the Karahi Gosht I first tried was served from Tandor Kitchen on Telegraph Avenue next to UC Berkeley.  And it's only $5.99!

On with the recipes:

• Karahi Gosht Variation 1

Ingredients Required / Quantity:
      Mutton 1 kg - small cubes
      Tomatoes 400 gms- chopped
      Garlic 1 tblsp- crushed
      Ginger 2 tblsp-crushed
      Green Chilles 6-8 slit
      Salt to taste
      Dhaniya Powder 2 tsp
      Red Chilly Powder 1 tsp
      Turmeric 1/2 tsp
      GaramMasala Powder 1 tsp
      Blackpepper 3 or 4
      Oil 200 gms

Method to cook:
      Heat half the oil.
      Put tadka with black pepper.
      Add the Meat + Salt + Ginger + Garlic and Fry for 10 minutes.
      Add all the remaining masala + 1 glass water and pressure cook for 5 minutes until meat is tender.
      When meat is cooked,their should be about 2 cups gravy.
      Separately heat remaining oil in a deep Karahi.
      Add tomatoes. Fry till tender.
      Add green chilles + salt and fry for few minutes.
      Now add cooked meat and fry on low heat for 10 minutes, till the oil separates from gravy.

Serving Tip:
      Serve hot in a karahi topped with chopped ginger, green chilles, corriander leaves and lemon juice.

• Karahi Gosht Variation 2

Ingredients:
    * Lamb 250 gms.
    * Tomatoes 2 medium finely chopped.
    * Green chillies 2-3
    * Yoghurt 2 tbsp
    * Black pepper 8-10
    * Red chilli powder 1 tsp
    * Salt
    * Oil/Ghee
    * Green paste 2 tsp
    * Cummin powder 1tsp

Procedure:
      Pressure cook lamb with 1 cup water and 1 tsp of green masala for 10 minutes or so.
      In the mean time, heat oil and add black peppers ad cummin powder.
      Add chopped tomatoes and green chillies. Cook till tomatoes are tender and turn into a thick paste like consistency.
      Add boiled lamb and all the water to the thick tomato paste.
      Cook for 10 minutes till most of the water evaporates and gravy is thick.
      Beat yoghurt and add to the gravy. Cook for a couple of minutes.
      Garnish with chopped green corriander and serve hot with naans

• Karahi Gosht Variation 3

Ingredients:

* 1 kg lamb/ mutton cut into 2" pieces
        * 1 cup yogurt
        * 2 tbsps garlic paste
        * 2 tbsps lemon juice
        * 2 tsps garam masala (see link below for recipe to make your own)
        * Salt to taste
        * 3 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
        * 4 green chillies slit lengthwise
        * 2 tsps coriander powder
        * 1 tsp cumin powder
        * 2 medium tomatoes chopped fine
        * Ginger julliennes to garnish
        * Fresh chopped corainder to garnish

Preparation:

* Mix the lamb/ mutton with the yogurt, garlic paste, lemon juice, garam masala and salt to taste, cover and allow to marinate for 3 hours.
        * Heat the oil in a Kadhai (or any other wok-like pan) on a medium flame. Add the green chillies and fry till they stop spluttering.
        * Add the lamb with its marinade and fry, stirring frequently, for 5-7 minutes.
        * Now add the tomatoes, corainder and cumin powder and mix well. Sprinkle some water over the meat, cover, simmer the flame and cook till the meat is done. Check occassionally and add more water if needed to prevent sticking and burning. Ideally this dish has a minimal amount of thick gravy.
        * Turn off fire, garnish with ginger and coriander leaves and serve with hot Chapatis (Indian flatbread) or Naans.

:drooling:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineFlusH
Random person on Internet
 User Gallery

Loc: Bizzaro World
Re: Ok- who's got a good recipe for lamb curry. Pleeeaaaasee! Thanks! [Re: geokills]
    #12998453 - 08/03/10 10:56 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Damn that looks good!

I think I will see if I can find a late night Pakistani restaurant open this time of day :cool:

Offlinemedsn
Natural Born Farmer

Loc: Club Tropicana, UK Flag
Re: Ok- who's got a good recipe for lamb curry. Pleeeaaaasee! Thanks! [Re: FlusH]
    #13000880 - 08/04/10 12:52 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Add raw lamb to THIS and cook for a further 20 mins.

Done.

--------------------
My job makes me unhappy but that's alright because
when I get home I get in my spaceship and she
tells me everything is going to be OK.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing