Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: God is a human construct. [Re: Sunny]
    #12999590 - 08/04/10 12:50 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Having studied more theology than you'll ever encounter in your entire life, I am indeed familiar with the concept -- or rather, the many concepts -- of God.  I am also aware that the "omnipotent being in sky" is merely one of them, and that most of the great theologians of the last century or so would reject that concept.  But since you refuse to examine your terms or your premises, have fun with your self-congratulatory circle-jerk.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethe bizzle
the joke that no one spoke

Loc: :seriousbusiness:
Re: God is a human construct. [Re: Silversoul]
    #12999591 - 08/04/10 12:51 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sunny said:
That's EXACTLY why it's a big deal what we call it, because "god" is not equal to "that which we are all born".

the wikipedia defines god pretty well:
Quote:

God is the English name given to the singular omnipotent being in theistic and deistic religions (and other belief systems) who is either the sole deity in monotheism, or a single deity in polytheism.[1]

To call the concept which we are discussing right now "god", would be a gross miss use of the word itself, and would do very little justice to the concept we are trying to communicate.

had it ever occurred to you that to have this discussion on the terms you want it to be, would be probably at least 90% preaching to the choir?

secondly, wikipedia is not an ultimate authority on anything, including definitions.

Quote:

Sunny said:
Quote:

Silversoul said:
Quote:

God is a human construct.

All linguistic concepts are human constructs.  What's your point?

Don't be an ass. You know very well we are discussing "god" the omnipotent being, not the word "god" itself.

funny, my friends and I talk and sometimes use the word "god", yet it is a silent understanding between us that we are not referring to "god the omnipotent being"

and that is an important point. It was obvious to me when I first saw the thread title that the OP was probably referring to the definition of god that you described, but really I don't understand why this would even be a debate here, as I am guessing roughly 90% of the people who frequent this forum would agree, but some of that 90% might still use the word "god" because it is an easy way to refer to the whole, or whatever it is that is beyond human construct

although I do agree with the OP that "the universe" might be a decent alternative, my argument with that is

When you are trying to affect the lives of those who are probably more receptive to or familiar with the word "god," it is just easier to help them that way. I have successfully helped people to come to a less religious yet more personally healing understanding of things by expressing (among other things) that "god" is something that is beyond religion and human construct.

that might be debatable, but the proof of its effectiveness is in the doin, and imo that healing is ultimately more important, because either way there is definitely something beyond our understanding

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

Edited by the bizzle (08/04/10 12:52 AM)

InvisibleSunny
free-ballin
Male User Gallery

Loc: on the magic bus
    #12999614 - 08/04/10 01:00 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

the bizzle said:
Quote:

Sunny said:
That's EXACTLY why it's a big deal what we call it, because "god" is not equal to "that which we are all born".

the wikipedia defines god pretty well:
Quote:

God is the English name given to the singular omnipotent being in theistic and deistic religions (and other belief systems) who is either the sole deity in monotheism, or a single deity in polytheism.[1]

To call the concept which we are discussing right now "god", would be a gross miss use of the word itself, and would do very little justice to the concept we are trying to communicate.

had it ever occurred to you that to have this discussion on the terms you want it to be, would be probably at least 90% preaching to the choir?

secondly, wikipedia is not an ultimate authority on anything, including definitions.

Quote:

Sunny said:
Quote:

Silversoul said:
Quote:

God is a human construct.

All linguistic concepts are human constructs.  What's your point?

Don't be an ass. You know very well we are discussing "god" the omnipotent being, not the word "god" itself.

funny, my friends and I talk and sometimes use the word "god", yet it is a silent understanding between us that we are not referring to "god the omnipotent being"

and that is an important point. It was obvious to me when I first saw the thread title that the OP was referring to the definition of god that you described, but really I don't understand why this would even be a debate here, as I am guessing roughly 90% of the people who frequent this forum would agree, but some of that 90% might still use the word "god" because it is an easy way to refer to the whole, or whatever it is that is beyond human construct

although I do agree with the OP that "the universe" might be a decent alternative, my argument with that is

When you are trying to affect the lives of those who are probably more receptive to or familiar with the word "god," it is just easier to help them that way. I have successfully helped people to come to a less religious yet more personally healing understanding of things by expressing (among other things) that "god" is something that is beyond religion and human construct.

that might be debatable, but the proof of its effectiveness is in the doin, and imo that healing is ultimately more important, because either way there is definitely something beyond our understanding

I agree, wikipedia is not a particularly valid authority, but I was attempting to illustrate the point.

And actually, yeah I have had the same discussion with people, where "god" the omnipotent being is not implied by the usage of the word. I did figure that I was preaching to the choir, but I reasoned it would be a reasonable topic discuss, and it is often something people are fairly opinionated about.

I do have trouble trying to explain this concept of "god" to other people though. Especially religious family members, and/or very religious friends. It's not that I'm making the affront to there beliefs, so much as they want to debate my inability to get involved with religion. They get very hung up on the word itself. Then I tell them the I think we have fundamental difference in our belief of what "god" is. This only further confuses them. So, in order to bypass this entirely, it seems easier for someone to simply say "I don't believe in God. I believe in formula X"

Maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong direction. But this seems to be a logical conclusion.

--------------------
WAFFLEZZ!!!11!!!1!!!1!!!!

InvisibleSunny
free-ballin
Male User Gallery

Re: God is a human construct. [Re: Silversoul]
    #12999626 - 08/04/10 01:02 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
Having studied more theology than you'll ever encounter in your entire life, I am indeed familiar with the concept -- or rather, the many concepts -- of God.  I am also aware that the "omnipotent being in sky" is merely one of them, and that most of the great theologians of the last century or so would reject that concept.  But since you refuse to examine your terms or your premises, have fun with your self-congratulatory circle-jerk.

Thanks! Go away and enjoy your deep knowledge of everything under the sun.:finger:

--------------------

Offlinethe bizzle

#12999662 - 08/04/10 01:16 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I do have trouble trying to explain this concept of "god" to other people though. Especially religious family members, and/or very religious friends. It's not that I'm making the affront to there beliefs, so much as they want to debate my inability to get involved with religion. They get very hung up on the word itself. Then I tell them the I think we have fundamental difference in our belief of what "god" is. This only further confuses them. So, in order to bypass this entirely, it seems easier for someone to simply say "I don't believe in God. I believe in formula X"

Maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong direction. But this seems to be a logical conclusion.

I understand what you mean, and I feel your pain in regards to dealing with those types.

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

Edited by the bizzle (08/04/10 01:16 AM)

InvisibleBrainstem
_@_y
Male User Gallery

Loc: In my shell Flag
Re: God is a human construct. [Re: the bizzle]
    #12999783 - 08/04/10 01:54 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I have no doubts that the leaders of a society would use religion for this purpose, the divine right of kings, and the divinity of emperors and pharaohs and so on, but I propose that they only manipulated, misrepresented, and exploited the moral thinking of the mystic/shamanic practitioners of their time and geographical location. A control mechanism yes, but not the first discovery made by inquiring minds to then be used in the control or domination of people.

--------------------
The arrogant cat stalks the humble mouse, the self important dog chases away the cat and is in turn unable to stand it's ground against the Proud lion. Then the lion is almost trampled underfoot of the enlightened elephant, who surprisingly and paradoxically yields to the humble mouse.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #13000212 - 08/04/10 05:23 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sunny said:
I have grokked this for many moons. It is the only logical conclusion.

Discuss.

Well I'm not going to read through all this but I will say that you might have given your personal definition of this God that  you don't believe in. Definitions vary tremendously and imo some are more plausible than others by a wide margin.

There seems to be no way to know if a god exists. End of story.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #13000537 - 08/04/10 08:50 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Evolution is the way how G*D works.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineShandy
Reverse
Male

Loc: UK
Re: God is a human construct. [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #13000558 - 08/04/10 09:00 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
Having studied more theology than you'll ever encounter in your entire life

My condolences

InvisibleSunny
free-ballin
Male User Gallery

Re: God is a human construct. [Re: Icelander]
    #13001017 - 08/04/10 11:39 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Sunny said:
I have grokked this for many moons. It is the only logical conclusion.

Discuss.

Well I'm not going to read through all this but I will say that you might have given your personal definition of this God that  you don't believe in. Definitions vary tremendously and imo some are more plausible than others by a wide margin.

There seems to be no way to know if a god exists. End of story.

definitions do not vary tremendously. Here's what the dictionary says god is.

Quote:

1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
2 : a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
3 : a person or thing of supreme value
4 : a powerful ruler

God implies, divinity, power, and supremacy over others in all it's definitions.

If your definition varies from the above, than you are not talking about God, but another concept entirely.

Through out this discussion so far, I have made a point to note that the concept we are discussing right now, as "the universe" or "formula x", differs from the first definition provided in the dictionary, in that this concept implies that nature is not divine, or mystical. There are principals of behavior which define the workings of nature. They are vastly complex, but they are not divine, or mystical.

The important thing about this whole debate so far seems to be how everyone is getting hung up on the word "God" itself, which is why I say that when talking about this specific non-god concept we don't use the word "God" in it's place.

As I previously concluded, the dictionary defined concept of "God", is a human construct. An invention to comfort worried minds, and like Brainstem, Bizzle and I were just talking about a manipulation of someone elses enlightened revelations about "the universe".

--------------------

OfflineNetDiver
Wandering Mindfuck

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
    #13001028 - 08/04/10 11:42 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I think humans created religious concepts of God to absolve themselves of the responsibility of creating meaning and purpose in their own lives.

The more general belief in spirits probably arose out of our evolved tendency to personify everything.

--------------------

InvisibleSunny
free-ballin
Male User Gallery

Re: God is a human construct. [Re: Brainstem]
    #13001074 - 08/04/10 11:52 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Brainstem said:
I have no doubts that the leaders of a society would use religion for this purpose, the divine right of kings, and the divinity of emperors and pharaohs and so on, but I propose that they only manipulated, misrepresented, and exploited the moral thinking of the mystic/shamanic practitioners of their time and geographical location. A control mechanism yes, but not the first discovery made by inquiring minds to then be used in the control or domination of people.

Well I am willing to concede that the handful of people discussed by the major religions (Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, etc.) were probably suddenly striken by nirvana, and felt like it was necessary to tell the people they knew about it. Like you said the second hand nature of religion is it's downfall, because that itself, is the control mechanism.

I contend that perhaps Jesus/buddha/krishnas definition of "God" is in fact more akin to the idea we are now discussing, than the dictionary defined concept in use today. I think that, like this thread has illustrated, most people are unable to get past the semantics of the word itself. So, in the ancient world, it seems like the concept is repeatedly lost through secondhand preaching and misuse of a powerful word.

--------------------

InvisibleSunny
free-ballin
Male User Gallery

Re: God is a human construct. [Re: NetDiver]
    #13001091 - 08/04/10 11:54 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I agree, that's part of what I'm getting at.

--------------------

InvisibleBrainstem
_@_y
Male User Gallery

#13001566 - 08/04/10 01:26 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

So would John Lennon have sung...Formula X is a concept, by which we measure our pain. :wink:

Offlinethe bizzle

#13001572 - 08/04/10 01:27 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

"Where could formula X be

but in everything?"

lol sry had to

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

InvisibleBrainstem
_@_y
Male User Gallery

#13001615 - 08/04/10 01:33 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sunny said:

I contend that perhaps Jesus/buddha/krishnas definition of "God" is in fact more akin to the idea we are now discussing, than the dictionary defined concept in use today. I think that, like this thread has illustrated, most people are unable to get past the semantics of the word itself. So, in the ancient world, it seems like the concept is repeatedly lost through secondhand preaching and misuse of a powerful word.

I think it was almost certainly of that nature. God is dead, long live Formula X.

--------------------
The arrogant cat stalks the humble mouse, the self important dog chases away the cat and is in turn unable to stand it's ground against the Proud lion. Then the lion is almost trampled underfoot of the enlightened elephant, who surprisingly and paradoxically yields to the humble mouse.

InvisibleBrainstem
_@_y
Male User Gallery

#13002274 - 08/04/10 03:41 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

or can we call it Xod ?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder