Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLockNTross
Air Disk Master

Loc: In the year 20XX
feasible incubation chamber!?
    #1299772 - 02/11/03 10:22 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I have had a heck of time with this incubation chamber. That is why I am turning to the almighty consciousness of "the shroomery".
Here is what I am working with...

I am attempting to create the classic Rubbermaid bin inside a Rubbermaid bin; however, a few problems have arisen.
I did not buy a fully submersible water heater. I bought one you can stick on the side and be done with it. This looked like a good idea. I thought I could just stick it to the side, rise the water and all would be ok. WRONG. tee-hee.
Turns out water makes things float.... So I shoved a few weights at the bottom of the bin inside the bin. This made it sink just enough to displace the water above the line on the heater and allow me to close the top.
The problem I have is...
Is this a feasible solution? Will it even work? I am not sure if the water heater is to actually heat the water or allow heat to rise underneath the bin?

PS - the bin is 21gallon, the bin inside it is 10, the water heater is 150 watt.

--------------------
All I have to say is: Tribes 1 = Best Game EVER.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineODhaze
outdoorhaze

Loc: in the haze
Re: feasible incubation chamber!? [Re: LockNTross]
    #1299786 - 02/11/03 10:26 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

well,

you could always just put the heater in a jar of water and put that in one large tupperware,

the only problem with that is an uneven distribution of heat. So basically you would have to move your jars around occasionally, well its optional.

if you stick with the weights plan, sterilize them or disinfect them somehow, and put a peice of cardboard over them so you have an even bottom.

hope that helps a little!!!

-outdoorhaze-

--------------------
I believe i will go out to the seashore, let the waves wash my mind. Gunna open up my head now just to see what i can find...

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #1299795 - 02/11/03 10:29 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Cool u got tha same bins as me..

Id think it should work.. Make sure the heater doesnt melt the sides of ur container. Id say just put the heater in a big glass jar/liquor bottle with water in it and dont bother having the container in container thing.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: feasible incubation chamber!? [Re: ODhaze]
    #1299796 - 02/11/03 10:29 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

put a bubbler in, underneath the heater. it'll mimic fish, by agitating the water to distribute the heat about.

the 8-ball says......chances are favourable *blooobleip*

:grin: 

--------------------
buh

OfflineLockNTross
Air Disk Master

Re: feasible incubation chamber!? [Re: ODhaze]
    #1299857 - 02/11/03 10:51 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

These bins are from Menards, as they were on sale this week for $2 !!!

Anyway, the bubbler is a really good idea. I think that would totaly help solve the problem. ALSO, I have this other ZANEY idea:
Couldnt I cut a hole at the bottom of the tub and shove the water heater in there, and then put some silicone glue to make sure there isnt any leaking water?

CHOICES CHOICES.

PS- Would I really need to sterilize the weights, because the cultures will be in hermetically sealed jars. If they do need sterilized will disinfectant stuff work?

--------------------

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1300056 - 02/11/03 12:18 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

LOL....that looks exactly like my setup  :smirk:  I made the exact same mistakes of getting a smaller rubbermaid for the top compartment and buying a semi-submersible fish tank heater.  You'll be fine.  I attach the fish tank heater to the side and I let the top rubbermaid float.  I maintain a constant 82 degrees. 

Small world, eh?

BTW: Remember to put some type of blanket or cloth material over the top in order to keep the heat in.   

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Edited by Angry Mycologist (02/11/03 12:20 PM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1300083 - 02/11/03 12:31 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

>because the cultures will be in hermetically sealed jars

Bad, bad idea.....

OfflineLockNTross
Air Disk Master

Re: feasible incubation chamber!? [Re: Anno]
    #1301517 - 02/12/03 03:34 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Bad, bad idea.....

Wow, thanks for all your help. That sure helped me a lot. All that quality input, and you telling me what?s wrong and how to fix it. Gosh, I can?t quite thank you enough. Now I know exactly what to do with those jars and I shouldn?t have a problem, thanks to your 3 word answer, of witch 2 words are repeated. AWSOME JOB!

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1301631 - 02/12/03 04:28 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

the heat should make it around to the other side in a few hours, i dont think you need a bubbler. the bigger the bottom bucket the better since you wont have to worry about it boiling dry.

Anno posts lots of short posts but replies to lots too. if he spent time explaining in detail he wouldnt help as many people. if you mean fully sealed jars they will get no air exchange which is needed for decent growth. this is very basic stuff and he (anno) is just quick and blunt to correct people who dont bother reading the excellent FAQs available

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale