Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

Fruiting on agar
    #1287655 - 02/07/03 05:10 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

The armadillo wanted to know about small mushrooms that grow on agar. He had some 1/2 pint jars that he forgot about for approx 60 days. 1 or 2 of the jars now have small shrooms growing directly from the PDYagar. The shrooms are less then an 1/8 of an inch in diameter, and 2-3 inches tall. About like a big wooden kitchen match. The caps haven't expanded yet. Are there any reason(s) or advantages to using this specific mycelia or shroom tissue??

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Fruiting on agar [Re: On_the_Down-Low]
    #1287664 - 02/07/03 05:12 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

shows willingness to fruit. Stamets chooses isolates which fruit in vitro, he prefers them.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflinestonErollEr1
The Psilocybinsolution
Re: Fruiting on agar [Re: Raadt]
    #1287951 - 02/07/03 06:48 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Yes..I do to.
Good fruiting properties...clone and knock up some birdseed with it to check its potential.

peace..

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low

#1289358 - 02/07/03 03:51 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

'Dillo boi said the shroom came from a piece of mycelia climbing the side of the 1/2 pint jar. He said the mycelia looked like a plant root!! Is that rhyzomorphic???? :shocked: 

>>>oh yeah- should he take the 'rooty' strand of mycelia, or use the tissue from the tiny shroom?
Then what- into a grain jar, or possibly put 1/2 of it back on agar?? Any advantage to going back to agar with it?

Edited by On_the_Down-Low (02/07/03 03:54 PM)

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

#1290080 - 02/07/03 10:18 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

If you take a piece of the mycellium, and not the shrooom than you wont have an isolate. You could do either

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #1294655 - 02/09/03 07:33 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Really? Where does Stamets suggest that?

--------------------

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Fruiting on agar [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1294679 - 02/09/03 07:44 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I think it is in GGMM in the section about evaluating mushrooms strains.
Fruitings on agar are good sign that the culture is vigorous.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1295340 - 02/10/03 04:04 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Check these out ! Was frogotten petris in cabinet , only second strain selection to , have some in casing right now and there are more primordia than I can count . I agree with Stametes .........."Prooves willingness to grow !"

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low

Re: Fruiting on agar [Re: tripndicular]
    #1295923 - 02/10/03 07:44 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

So we all agree that it's a good thing, so what next?? Use the mycelia, and tranfer it to grain and grow it out?? Or should he use a tissue culture on agar?? Is there any advantage to 'reisolating' the shroom tissue??

OfflineRaadt
nicht

#1296564 - 02/10/03 11:41 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

because mycellium fruits on agar does not mean it's an isolated strain. If you want the strain isolated you need to continue to isolate good growth until there is no sectoring. From there you can use them for liquid inocculation or standard wedge to grain innoculation.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineRaadt
nicht

#1296565 - 02/10/03 11:42 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I will find you a page number from the book when I get home. I suppose I should be more thorough with my explanations. It is in there though, as was noted by zeronio.

--------------------
Raadt

Invisibletripndicular

#1298742 - 02/11/03 04:58 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

RAADT , said it accurately , isolation is preformed until sectoring stops . In case of the cultures in my post , that "strain" I stopped with is very likely to be a productive one . Even if given "bare minimum" to survive at all . Page 36 of TMC explains the different "characteristics" cultivators seek in their cultures .

And yes , if a non sectoring (all rhizomorphic is best ) strain , with no contams , has been selected ...then Yes you can inoc grain with it , continue with cultures by saving it as a "stock culture" , for future uses .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

#1298769 - 02/11/03 05:15 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Saying all Rhizomorphic is best is a very subjective statement.

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

OfflineRaadt
nicht

#1298786 - 02/11/03 05:23 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Page 108 - chapter 13 - Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms by Paul Stamets

The Event of Volunteer Primordia on Nutrified Agar Media

My space is fucked up, so I am only typing up the paragraph.

The cultivator plays an active role in developing strains by physically selecting those that look "good." Integral to the success of the mushroom life cycle is the mycelial path leading to primordia formation. To this end, the mushroom and the cultivator share common interests. The occurrence of primordia not only is a welcome affrimation of the strain's identity but is also indicative of it's readiness to fruit. Hence, I tend to favor strains that voluntarily form primordia.

And there we have it. Stamets preference toward primordia forming isolates.

--------------------
Raadt

Edited by Raadt (02/11/03 07:53 AM)

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Fruiting on agar [Re: BladeLSD]
    #1298903 - 02/11/03 06:10 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Rhizomorhic mycelia run faster , form more primordia and hence yeild more ......so IMHO for my needs ...........pure rhizo are best choice(depends on species , I think...?) . But if you notice in the culture in my pic , there is some cottony growth . But at that stage in the game , showed willingness to meet my criteria . So went on with grain inoc , waiting for final results now , have some just cased , and some in worm castings .
Was also damn supprised and proud this event took place in a cabinet I know , so thoguht images would be nice for the topic . Only saw it in books , till then .

--------------------

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low

#1301525 - 02/12/03 03:36 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

So what are the pros and cons of using the mycelia that produced the friut, vervus using the fruit?
For the noobs: what is sectoring?  :crazy: 

Invisibletripndicular

#1301563 - 02/12/03 03:57 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

The pros of using are ......
Hopefully the strain will maintain its viability (production) in the transfer , thus meaning it will be a good producer of mushies once in a substrate .
You can also use the fruit the agar produced , but that is cloning tecniques . The fruit it self is the strain also , once you grow it out on agar .
Sectoring ...when a mycelium grows from a single inoculation site and several divergent types appear , it is said to be "sectoring" . So basically you will see two primary types of mycelium growth
1 rhizomorphic- cord like or strand like hyphae known to be most productive type
2 tomentose- (cottony , fluffy ) , not as productive
If you are interested in agar culture teks , you should invest in TMC , and read up all you can on the topic .
Good L;uck
Hope I cleared a few things up for you .

--------------------

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low

#1304534 - 02/13/03 03:57 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Thanx for the info. I keep meaning to get a copy of Stamet's book(s). One of these days.... I'll just have to keep it on the list.
Soemtimes the two way exchange here is invaluable.

Invisibletripndicular

#1304657 - 02/13/03 04:47 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

So is owning that fine piece of literature , is way worth the money . Would'nt leave home with out it ....so to say ! :grin: 

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #1308408 - 02/14/03 02:14 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I dont agree with Stamets on many points. Although ofcourse invitro pinning is generally a good sign.
Mycelia reacts to its substrate in many ways, so jsut because an isolate may seem tomentose on agar, does not mean that it will not develop strong rhizomorphes when consumming a different substrate medium or that it will not fruit abundantly.
As ive posted before, cubensis is an easy mushroom we can use to prove this point. If you let all your plates - tomentose or rhizomorphic fully colonise and develop primordia you will find that often tomentose mycelia develops rhizomorphes right before fruiting and performs just as well.
I do tend toward rhizomorphic mycelia, but each species is different and speed and invitro pinning are just as good at indicating how the substrain will perform.
Someone recentally posted some info on asian cultivators doing away with isolation and using strain competition to produce bigger yields.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom