Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
lbms?
    #1294765 - 02/09/03 08:44 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

okay today i went fishing and i thought id look at the cow patties that are around to see if anything was growing well some mushies had sprouted and shriveled and died cause its way cold for shrooms right now. anyways do lbms grow outa shit? cause these were really wet so it was hard to id them but the look like the shape and size of what ive read about copelandia(sp?) cyans. so im happy and im gonna go back and look when it warms up but i dont want to get my hopes up u know. oh yea one more ? i saw these little cones like funnel shaped coming out of like every cowpattie i found i figure its a type of fungus just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about them. thanks for all ur time and patience. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: lbms? [Re: blaze2]
    #1294978 - 02/10/03 01:07 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You need to read the Mushroom Hunting FAQ. All the answers are there, man.

Read, read, read!

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1297110 - 02/10/03 02:25 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

They are called coprophilic mushrooms, growing from dung.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Re: lbms? [Re: MAIA]
    #1297622 - 02/10/03 05:15 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

okay ive read everything the shroomery has on mushroom hunting and ive read other sources ive gone through mj's site and i know what that i havent given u enough info to id if they were copes. that said i just wanted to know if any lbms grow from dung ive done a search on them here and ive seen them mentioned growing from just about everything except dung. thanks for your time again and does corophilic refer to all shrooms growing from dung or just the little funnels i was talking about. they are about a cm wide a grayish color and some had little balls kinda like fish eggs in them. peace.

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1298607 - 02/11/03 04:00 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You just gave enough information to get an approximate ID on your funnel shaped mushrooms. They sound like Cyathus stercoreus, the common dung loving Bird's Nest fungus. There are several closely related species, but this is the most common.

The word "coprophilic" translates literally as "dung loving" and is used to describe any mushroom which grows on dung.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Re: lbms? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1300447 - 02/11/03 03:39 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

thanks toxic those are the mushrooms i saw. if they have colonized a cow pie would any other shrooms grow there or would they out compete all other shrooms? thanks for all ur help i really mean it im completely new to this and this site and people here have really helped me. its going to be highs around 70 and lows around 60s thursday through saturday with rain. correct me if im wrong but is that not great conditions for shrooms? again thanks for all ur help. peace

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1300506 - 02/11/03 04:03 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

In general, saprophytes tend to crowd each other out. I would expect dung inhabitors to be similar to wood rotting fungi (I'm a bit more familiar with them). If so, then there will be a succession of various fungi depending on the age of the cow patty. Quickly after it's "laid" some species of fungus will take it over and grow until it exhausts some nutrient. At that point a secondary fungus will move in and repeat the cycle. And so on, until there is litle or nothing left.

If this is so, then you would do well to observe as best you can how old each cow patty is and see if you can figure out what the succession of species is. If you can work that out, then you will be able to go into a field and very quickly tell if you should come back in 6 weeks or if you need to just find a new field. The succession of species will probably be very dependent on the locale, so it might not help much to know what it is somewhere else, especially far away.

If you do figure this out, please come back and tell us what you learned. Even if it doesn't help anybody else find the species they're looking for it would be interesting.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Re: lbms? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1300870 - 02/11/03 07:00 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i think ur right about the succesion of seprate species of fungus on dung. because cubes dont usually take to fresh dung maybe this is because there is another already there perparing it for them. anyways i dont think that i will have to worry about another field my friends cousin who lived near my friend hunted the same feild all through his highschool years with some large harvests. i will try my best to find out the order of succesion of species and report back if i have any luck. thanks again. peace

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale