Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Humidity Meter, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinevaporbrains
Cub Scout

Loc: ghetto# 03479
Flipping Straw Cake....
    #1298560 - 02/11/03 05:41 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i have recently finished harvesting from a tray of straw spawned with birdseed and cased with 60/40 vermiculite/coco coir. the flushes were uneven and sporadic and some of the mushrooms didn't grow to full size. Anyway, i have flipped the cake upside down with the casing facing down in hopes that what was formerly the bottom of the cake will now begin to fruit if it is exposed to light/ moisture. has anyone tried this before? does it work well? thanks.....

--------------------
All refrences to and statements concerning mushrooms, mushroom cultivation, and mushroom related paraphrenalia refer specifically to the cultivation of legal species.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: vaporbrains]
    #1298622 - 02/11/03 06:04 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Offlinevaporbrains
Cub Scout

Re: Flipping Straw Cake.... [Re: vatoloco]
    #1299108 - 02/11/03 09:11 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

vatoloco-

i'm pretty sure my flush was weak because i allowed the casing to dry out... mushrooms were growing from the sides of the substrate around the edges of the tray. only a few grew from the casing proper and those didn't reach full maturity. i was depending on the ultrasonic humidifier for moisture. on my next trays i intend to water the casing with a fine mist spray bottle.

ALSO: this is my set up ....any suggestions? ----:

i have a 55 gallon rubbermaid fitted with a small computer fan and an ultrasonic humidifier pumping in moist air via plastic tubing. at first i was running the humidifier for 30 minutes every other 30 minutes, later i decided to turn it on its lowest output setting and run it continuously. the fan runs for 5 minutes every 2 hours, which is as frequently as my digital timer will allow me to run it. (it only has 14 slots) the moist air leaks out of the fan hole when the fan is not on and the fan quickly clears out the fog when it is on. ANY SUGGESTIONS you might have would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

--------------------
All refrences to and statements concerning mushrooms, mushroom cultivation, and mushroom related paraphrenalia refer specifically to the cultivation of legal species.

Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
    #1299185 - 02/11/03 09:29 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Offlinevaporbrains
Cub Scout

#1299217 - 02/11/03 09:38 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

the ultrasonic sits outside of the 55 gallon container. it is attached via a piece of plastic tubing to an empty plastic jar which is attached by another length of tube to the terrarium. it has variable output. i thought i should be fanning more since some guides reccommend fanning 3 times an hour. but i will probably switch over to 2 minutes every 2 hours if that has worked for you. i have been trying to figure out what would be good to add to a 60/40 verm/ coco casing to improve it. my vermiculite is the round granular kind, not the flaky stuff.

a flourescent Grow-Light is fitted through a hole in the side of the rubbermaid for light and it is on a 12 hour on/off timer.

when the humidifier is on it fills the terrarium, fogging it up, and usually fog will seep slowly out of the fan hole, between the fan blades.

--------------------

Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
    #1299330 - 02/11/03 10:13 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Offlinevaporbrains
Cub Scout

#1300021 - 02/11/03 01:51 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i don't know how clear i was on this.....the fan blows out of the chamber....it serves to blow air out of the chamber.....so when the humidfier has fogged up the chamber ...the fan will clear all of that out...and dry the air up a bit...it is supposed to be there for air exchange...to get rid of excess CO2..... it would be nice if i could find a gas meter or even an accurate humidity gauge for that matter...

thanks for you help.... i might take the ultrasonic back and get a cool mist....it's cheaper anyway....

i still have my ultrasonic blowing on highest out put every other 30 minutes but i changed the fan time to 2 minutes every 2 hours...  i guess if i get some more money i can buy another timer and chain them together for more precise timing.
:smile:

--------------------

Edited by vaporbrains (02/11/03 01:56 PM)

Offlinemat
burd

Loc: bristol england
Re: Flipping Straw Cake.... [Re: vaporbrains]
    #1301732 - 02/12/03 07:25 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I tried flipping a some cased straw. It was pretty much all used up i thought. It had been sat there waiting to be chucked in the bin but i was bored so thought what the heck.. Anyway i misted it a lot turned it upside down,  and nothin happened, i was about to chuck it out (again) then i realised there were some VERY confused shrooms coming from the cased face of the straw.They were squashed, twisted and generally buggered. So i turned it the right way up and they eventually grew into some lovely little fruits.  Basicly i think re moisonin the casing is what stimulated growth and flippin just confused the poor litte devils :confused: 

Offlinevaporbrains
Cub Scout

Re: Flipping Straw Cake.... [Re: mat]
    #1303222 - 02/12/03 05:50 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i'm seeing pins....one rather large one...they seem to be coming from the side of the straw cake that is facing the humidifier hole....where the humidity is coming into the chamber....i guess this means i am under humidifying them. i think these are new pins and not just ones that were growing before and perked up upon flipping. i'll keep ya posted.

--------------------

Offlinevaporbrains
Cub Scout

Re: Flipping Straw Cake.... [Re: vaporbrains]
    #1304808 - 02/13/03 07:36 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

what type of digital timer would you suggest? model ? brand?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Humidity Meter, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation