Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
Re: Opinions On Wicca? [Re: AngryPhil]
    #12981906 - 07/31/10 05:25 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Celtic magic isn't necessarily bullshit, but Wicca is an initiatory system meaning you really can't just pick it up yourself.

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Opinions On Wicca? [Re: g00ru]
    #12983346 - 07/31/10 11:29 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

guruu said:
Celtic magic isn't necessarily bullshit, but Wicca is an initiatory system meaning you really can't just pick it up yourself.

Thats pretty much true of all religions though. Islam would really be the only exception I can think of....maybe certain evangelical christian sects too, though I tend to discount them in any real talk about Christianity.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Invisibleteknix
𓂀⟁𓅢𓍝𓅃𓊰𓉡 𓁼𓆗⨻
 User Gallery

Re: Opinions On Wicca? [Re: blewmeanie]
    #12983352 - 07/31/10 11:31 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Are you talking about the religion or the people playing dress up?

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Opinions On Wicca? [Re: teknix]
    #12983362 - 07/31/10 11:32 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'm talking about sandcastles and chocolate bananas. What are you talking about?

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Invisibleteknix
𓂀⟁𓅢𓍝𓅃𓊰𓉡 𓁼𓆗⨻
 User Gallery

#12983377 - 07/31/10 11:37 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Testosterone and Boobies!

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
    #12983381 - 07/31/10 11:38 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

kewl
:coaster:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineDivinity
Wanderer of Paths
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iowa
    #12983386 - 07/31/10 11:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

My gf is wiccan.
And shes pretty hot. Not fat and angry

--------------------

Invisibleteknix
𓂀⟁𓅢𓍝𓅃𓊰𓉡 𓁼𓆗⨻
 User Gallery

Re: Opinions On Wicca? [Re: Divinity]
    #12983403 - 07/31/10 11:45 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Does she dress up like a witch? Or is it more of an intimate thing?

I don't like it when people try to look like they are playing a part of a stereotype. If you have to ask yourself if so and so would wear this you're about doomed.

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Opinions On Wicca? [Re: Divinity]
    #12983423 - 07/31/10 11:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Divinity said:
My gf is wiccan.
And shes pretty hot. Not fat and angry

I'm not buying it.:sherlock:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Invisibleteknix
𓂀⟁𓅢𓍝𓅃𓊰𓉡 𓁼𓆗⨻
 User Gallery

#12983433 - 07/31/10 11:51 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Fat and Angry was pretty uncalled for.:lol:

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
    #12984025 - 08/01/10 03:37 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Typical wiccan right here.

:lol:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Opinions On Wicca? [Re: Crumpet]
    #12984674 - 08/01/10 10:34 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Inverted symbols are negative statements, whether it's a pentagram, a cross or a gang sign.
Pentagrams represent the 5 Elements: Earth, Water, Air, Fire and Aether/Spirit. It represents the human figure - the Microcosm.

http://www.important.ca/pentagram_meaning.html

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Loc: The Astral Realm
Re: Opinions On Wicca? [Re: g00ru]
    #12985387 - 08/01/10 02:19 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

guruu said:

IMO, a lot of the people who really get it aren't part of the organized schools or have undergone a formal initiation. Just all seems like a charade to me, but this may just be my despise for institutions talking.

I know a little about Wicca, but I was never interested in it enough... the Eastern traditions just seem like they are so much more to the point... wherever that is.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Opinions On Wicca? [Re: lines]
    #12985438 - 08/01/10 02:27 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I was into Wicca for a while when I was in High School.  I still have some of the books from that phase in my life.  I think the whole Earth-based spirituality stuff is interesting, but I find it has none of the transcendent, mystical aspects that I like in a religion.  A think a more sophisticated spirituality has to have both an immanent and transcendent aspect, and I think Wicca focuses too much on the immanent in the same way that Gnosticism focuses too much on the transcendent.

--------------------

OfflineHoloverse
Abres Los Ojos
 User Gallery

Re: Opinions On Wicca? [Re: Silversoul]
    #12985489 - 08/01/10 02:36 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
I was into Wicca for a while when I was in High School.  I still have some of the books from that phase in my life.  I think the whole Earth-based spirituality stuff is interesting, but I find it has none of the transcendent, mystical aspects that I like in a religion.  A think a more sophisticated spirituality has to have both an immanent and transcendent aspect, and I think Wicca focuses too much on the immanent in the same way that Gnosticism focuses too much on the transcendent.

The most balanced ones that focus on both life here, and transcendent life, seem to be Taoism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Satanism/Chaos Magick.

I chose Taoism, with a little bit of buddhism, and a dash of hinduism, enjoyed with the sacrament (not beliefs) of Rastafarianism :jah:

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Opinions On Wicca? [Re: Silversoul]
    #12987725 - 08/01/10 10:01 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'm on the same page with you, but very recently, I've come into this attraction to gather old and new materials, to construct a box (like the one I made for a former professor when I abandoned magick and gave away my Instruments) for NEW magickal tools: Wand, Athame, Cup, Pentacle. It seems that, whether 'I' want to or not, last year's interest in Spagyrics heralded a focus on the Astral Triangle. Vestigal magickal interests followed, at the same time as my Lady began to re-up an old interest in Astrology. I thought I was buying a Rider-Waite Tarot deck through a clearance house for her, but it turned out to be a strange 'Essential Tarot.'

Today was Lammas. Tomorrow, some Pagans who gather at a Unitarian-Universalist Church are offering Tarot lessons. Perhaps, as you perceive, a 'regression to the mean' is being enacted to counter the transcendental aspect of my spiritual life that has so utterly removed me from regular human activities, that I no longer have any friends in real time. I am not a family man, I have a <zero interest in sports, don't belong to a 'church,' a bridge club, a country club, or any social organization. For $2, we might visit this group tomorrow, but again, I'm not sure. I've been to the mountain top, and I am fairly sure that these Pagans have not left, or want to leave, the Astral Triangle of experience on the Qabalistic Tree.

I still live and work in society, but my interests are not Malkuthian. They begin at Yesod, the 'Foundation' of other-worldly existence. We are friendly with only one married couple and he is entirely earthbound, as is she, but she once proclaimed on Ecstasy that she was "shallow." It is sad that they cling to us, but equally sad that we have no friends because we both need to be on the same page with people whom we consider our friends. We do not feel connected merely by Malkuthian standards. I don't want to communicate on the banalities of everyday existence - driveway pavers, what your high school age daughter wants to take in the college she hasn't gotten into yet, etc., etc., etc.

Comments?

--------------------

OfflineSimulacra541
Nobody

Re: Opinions On Wicca? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #12988494 - 08/02/10 12:15 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The soul will always want to go further

Thats my opinion on Wicca, all forms of magic, gnosticism,  the soul will never find lasting satisfaction with any of these. The day you die you'll still think you hadn't gone far enough.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Opinions On Wicca? [Re: Simulacra541]
    #12989960 - 08/02/10 10:45 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

If we are all the spheres and pathways symbolized on the Tree of Life, it is the higher spheres and the higher 'soul' which realizes those spheres that you are referring to. The  Knowledge of and Conversation With One's Holy Guardian Angel means Realization of one's identity at the Ethical Triangle, in Tiphereth. It is the Sacred Heart, the Heart Cave. It is the first 'place' (Ru'ah) where consciousness transcends the earthbound senses and personality (Nefesh) which has been mistaken for the true self. Neshamah identifies with the Supernal Triangle in this scheme.
Similarly, in the Hindu chakra model, the 'exit' of consciousness through the Brahmarandra - the fontanel of the skull is important, lest consciousness exit through the anal or genital orifices, which corresponds to Malkuth and Yesod respectively in the Qabalistic model. These 'exits' (identifications) may lead to gilgul (transmigration), or perhaps to sheol, the realm of shadows. Psychologically, one needs first to leave the pre-personal realms, attain to the truly personal realm of spirit, and then rise in the planes to the transpersonal realm (which is why I hope to drop acid while on my death bed) :grin:

The Nature of the soul in the Zohar:
The soul has three different parts that form a sequence from higher to lower:

The Nefesh: first element found in every man; source of animal vitality and psychosomatic function. All have it.
The Ru'ah aroused when a person is able to rise above the demands of the body.
The Neshamah is the most important. It is aroused in a person when she occupies herself with Torah and its commandments, and it opens up the higher powers of apprehension, in particular the ability to apprehend God and the secrets of creation. Along with Ru'ah, this part of the soul is acquired by the person that has awakened spiritually and made a special effort to develop intellectual powers.

--------------------

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Opinions On Wicca? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #12991696 - 08/02/10 04:30 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

having a divine mother as well as divine father does seem more ummm cosmically balanced somehow...
(some folks see the whole virin mary cultus (cf cult of fatima in islam) as an attempt to "bring back our goddess!")

& the 4 (or five) elements & the 4 (or six) directions seems almost intuitive...

(& well, jubal harshaw says that gods make their own rules... heinlein)
("& ye shall be as gods" ... the bible)
("if we're going to be gods, we might as well be good at it" ... stewart brand)

so how many gods do you want? hehheh...
zero, one, two, three, a family, a pantheon? & does the model require an "opposition" (loyal or implacable, as the case may be...)
somehow it all gets so complicated sometimes...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Opinions On Wicca? [Re: gnrm23]
    #12991808 - 08/02/10 04:53 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Probably why my Lady has been reading a couple books on the Tao Te Ching at the same time that she's re-reading astrology, and looking at Tarot for the first time. Simplicity and complexity. Meanwhile, we're going to a Unitarian church tonight because someone who calls himself Aleph the Seeker is giving Tarot lessons with the Rider-Waite deck. My Lady got ahold of something (my error in ordering from a clearance house) called 'The Essential Tarot' which is unique, but the symbols are not as clear as the Waite, which is the most common (and the one I picked up in '72 for the first time). The I Ching is a more simple process, but appeals to a different aspect of my psyche. I guess I can't help but be constitutionally complex. Meso-Ectomorphic Cerebrotonic. INTP. "King of Hearts." Enneagrammatic 5 with a 4 wing.
BTW, nice to see you're still here!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom