Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: Chaos_ultt]
    #12966023 - 07/28/10 10:19 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

the only advice i have is......  that i went full vegetarian, well plus eggs and fish on occasion for roughly 2 years.  i felt great, i liked it at first, but in the end i slowly began to crave meat(insert joke here) and eventually decided that it wasnt for me, i decided that a diet with meat in moderation was just as healthy as full vegetarian, and thats what im sticking with.

some people love it and stick with it for life, some hate it and dont last but a few weeks, it just wasnt for me. :shrug:

ok so that wasnt really advice, the only advice i can give you is just research the hell out of it before you start, it is very important you are getting a balanced diet as a vegetarian.  it is very easy if you do your research.  i managed to pack on 10lbs of lean muscle during my 2 year stint.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: cryptic_pickle]
    #12966041 - 07/28/10 10:24 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

cryptic_pickle said:
If your a guy I'd stay away from soymilk cos it gives you tits.  :borat:

id stay away from soymilk period.  almond milk is a delicious and nutritious alternative.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: The24HourMC] * 3
    #12966062 - 07/28/10 10:29 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The24HourMC said:
fuck that shit , steaks and pork forever. I would never sacrifivce my meat to eat bland tasteless plants and have to add salad dressing out the ass to make up for it or other kinds of covers just so i can feel like im doing something positive. im doing something beneficial to the planet y wiping out all those damn cows , pigs and shit before  they overrun the earth and take over instead of humans. havent you ever read Animal Farm? :meatwad:

listen punk, this isnt OTD or a forum for debate.  the guy wasnt asking for your opinion, he was asking for advice on becoming a vegetarian.  noone cares what YOU would or wouldnt do. keep your opinions to other forums or threads asking for your opinion. if you have no advice on being a vegetarian, then piss off.

--------------------

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #12967509 - 07/28/10 03:50 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:id stay away from soymilk period.  almond milk is a delicious and nutritious alternative.

Except for the fact that almond milk has 86% less protein per serving than soy milk.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: daussaulit]
    #12967524 - 07/28/10 03:53 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

ill get my protein elsewhere and stay away from the hormones.  if the soy isnt fermented, im not eating it, outside of fresh edamame.  besides, personally, i think soymilk is the grossest tasting of all the non dairy milks.

--------------------

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12967550 - 07/28/10 03:57 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Soy is great for men and women.  Men just have to be a little more careful to keep their intake under 30g soy protein per day.  25g soy protein per day is recommended by the FDA to both men and women.

The people who have problems are the men who take 100+ grams of soy protein per day to build muscle.  These people would be much better off with something like pea protein.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#12967572 - 07/28/10 04:01 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

also, almond milk contains lots of vitamin E, manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, selenium, iron, fiber, zinc and calcium, which i think makes up for the lack of protein.

silk soy milk contains 6.25 grams of protein per serving, most almond milk contains 1 gram, all you have to do is eat a cup of nuts to bridge that gap.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: BothHands]
    #12967583 - 07/28/10 04:04 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

yeah well theres debate among scientists and nutritionists about that, so until it looks like the debate is settled, ill stay away from it.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#12967603 - 07/28/10 04:09 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Non-Fermented Soy Milk

The fermentation process prepares the soy bean and kills toxins and bacteria that may be harmful if ingested. The major problem with non-fermented soy milk is due to the high amounts of phytic acid it contains.

Non-fermented soy means phytic acid prevents the body from absorbing essential vitamins and minerals like calcium, magnesium, copper, iron, and especially zinc in the intestinal tract. This can lead to a number of different problems.

In the case of children and menstruating women, the phytic acid in soy can have serious consequences, as iron is much needed by children and women. Women need iron to replace the loss during their menstrual cycle and in children iron is required for growth and development.

Phytic acid also inhibits absorption of iodine, the most important mineral needed for growth and metabolism, used by the thyroid gland in the production of thyroid hormones. In infants, consumption of soy formula has been linked to autoimmune thyroid disease.

Soy phytoestrogens disrupt endocrine function and have the potential to cause infertility and to promote breast cancer in adult women.

Consuming even small amounts of unfermented soy milk on a regular basis could cause some adverse effects in our body. In contrast, consuming organic fermented soy milk and soy products can be quite beneficial.

--------------------

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12967656 - 07/28/10 04:20 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Well, after doing a quick bit of research, it seems that people with normal stomach and intestinal flora should produce phytase, which breaks down phytic acid, and allows you to absorb the phosphorus it contains.

If you've been on an antibiotic, and haven't taken a probiotic afterwards though, your flora might be depleted.

As for the breast cancer, well, many studies have shown that the phytoestrogens reduce breast cancer risk.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: BothHands]
    #12967709 - 07/28/10 04:33 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

like i said, when theres better research disproving the many negative claims, then id feel better about it.  i really dont see the risk in consuming something that is uncertain when there is a clear safe alternative.

also, doesnt resolve the problem of phytoestrogens.

--------------------

Edited by LeftyBurnz (07/28/10 04:36 PM)

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

#12967726 - 07/28/10 04:36 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
also, almond milk contains lots of vitamin E, manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, selenium, iron, fiber, zinc and calcium, which i think makes up for the lack of protein.

silk soy milk contains 6.25 grams of protein per serving, most almond milk contains 1 gram, all you have to do is eat a cup of nuts to bridge that gap.

So what's the point of almond milk then if you're just going to eat almonds to make up for the lack of protein?  Might as well drink water and eat almonds to get the vitamins and minerals. 

Also, I'm just looking at the nutritional information for just the Silk brand stuff, 1 serving of almond milk contains the same amount of fiber as soy milk.  1 gram.

I don't think there's a problem with a serving of soy milk every day, regardless of sex.  Anything in excess is bad for you.  As far as the hormones being bad for you, the Japanese and Chinese seem to be doing well even though they've been eating soy products for nearly 2,000 years.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#12967761 - 07/28/10 04:44 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

daussaulit said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:

So what's the point of almond milk then if you're just going to eat almonds to make up for the lack of protein?  Might as well drink water and eat almonds to get the vitamins and minerals. 

Also, I'm just looking at the nutritional information for just the Silk brand stuff, 1 serving of almond milk contains the same amount of fiber as soy milk.  1 gram.

I don't think there's a problem with a serving of soy milk every day, regardless of sex.  Anything in excess is bad for you.  As far as the hormones being bad for you, the Japanese and Chinese seem to be doing well even though they've been eating soy products for nearly 2,000 years.

because some people like milk or a milk like substance to go with cereal, cookies, etc.  and they would also like it without the possibility of adverse health effects.  im just saying, as long as there is doubt to the safety of it, why risk it when there is a better tasting substitute?  the only milk i drank for 2 years was almond milk, and i had absolutely no problem getting the protein i needed plus enough to build new muscle.  however these companies could avoid the whole controversy by producing and selling fermented soy milk for those who dont trust unfermented.

one problem, here in america is ALL they sell is unfermented soymilk, most soymilk and any soy product in the far east is fermented.  fermented soy is perfectly safe and beneficial.  the asians eat very little unfermented soy, outside of edamame.

--------------------

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

#12967878 - 07/28/10 05:01 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

daussaulit said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:

because some people like milk or a milk like substance to go with cereal, cookies, etc.  and they would also like it without the possibility of adverse health effects.  im just saying, as long as there is doubt to the safety of it, why risk it when there is a better tasting substitute?  the only milk i drank for 2 years was almond milk, and i had absolutely no problem getting the protein i needed plus enough to build new muscle.  however these companies could avoid the whole controversy by producing and selling fermented soy milk for those who dont trust unfermented.

one problem, here in america is ALL they sell is unfermented soymilk, most soymilk and any soy product in the far east is fermented.  fermented soy is perfectly safe and beneficial.  the asians eat very little unfermented soy, outside of edamame.

I'm trying to find out more about this fermented soy milk.  It seems that the first known case of this was in 1910 in France.  If this was true, then what did the Asian cultures do to the soy, pre-1910?  I've been to Taiwan many times and I've never had fermented soy milk.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#12968146 - 07/28/10 05:53 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

interesting, i knew it was a more recent soy creation compared to the others, but i didnt realize it was created first in france, by a chinese man.

the answer is nothing, the chinese did not drink soymilk, and the vast majority still do not, unlike here in the west, the vegetarians of asia do not believe milk is evil and it is a staple, just like their fermented soy products.  they have known for thousands of years that soy is healthier and safer when fermented.

and honestly i tend to think along the lines of the asians now, why do vegetarians and vegans avoid milk?  i know that many of them claim animal rights and whatnot, which is bs, because theyre attacking milk in its entirety, when in all actuality, it is only large scale commercial milk that causes problems, there is absolutely nothing wrong with local, small and moderate scale dairy, the cows are treated well, and if there is any doubt then they should buy certified pasture fed organic milk, theres no argument there other than many people do not sit well with cows milk, but then the solution to that is one of the other various milks that humans have no problem with, such as goat milk. 

i can respect other peoples opinions and how they want to live, i just dont understand it when it comes to a few things they are adamant about, such as vegans and their severe disdain for any animal products.  i understand the egg argument, as it can become a living creature, however i cannot and never will understand their argument against honey, milk and any other non destructive animal product.  when bees,  milk and fiber(i.e wool) producing animals are raised in a non factory setting and are taken care of properly, i dont see a single argument that holds up.

--------------------

Offlinecryptic_pickle
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #12969199 - 07/28/10 09:13 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Fucking almond milk costs like $9 a liter round these parts.  :grrr:

I've got into a habit of just using water on muesli.  I actually put some milk on them a while ago and didn't like it as much.  :shrug: 

P.S.  I know I'm a tight-arse.

--------------------
"What was the first thing your husband said to you when he woke that morning?"
"He said, 'Where am I, Cathy?'"
"And why did that upset you?"
"My name is Susan."

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: cryptic_pickle]
    #12969224 - 07/28/10 09:17 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

ewww. gross.  water on any kind of cereal tastes funny to me.

make your own almond milk, its easy and half the price of store bought shit.

--------------------

OfflineThe24HourMC
Master Of Ceremonies
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gone
    #12969526 - 07/28/10 10:13 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

The24HourMC said:
fuck that shit , steaks and pork forever. I would never sacrifivce my meat to eat bland tasteless plants and have to add salad dressing out the ass to make up for it or other kinds of covers just so i can feel like im doing something positive. im doing something beneficial to the planet y wiping out all those damn cows , pigs and shit before  they overrun the earth and take over instead of humans. havent you ever read Animal Farm? :meatwad:

listen punk, this isnt OTD or a forum for debate.  the guy wasnt asking for your opinion, he was asking for advice on becoming a vegetarian.  noone cares what YOU would or wouldnt do. keep your opinions to other forums or threads asking for your opinion. if you have no advice on being a vegetarian, then piss off.

Hey y dont u shut The fuck up and stop taking ur period out on me. He asked advice and The best advice in my opiniĆ³n is to not be a vegetArian. I was simple telling him how that shit would be for his taste buds and such. I suppose u feel mighty and shit telling
Me off eh? Grow up, noone else acknowledged the shit and if it bothered u that
Much u should have ignored it as well

--------------------

My Baby In MCLA

Fuckin Shit

Fuck that stay high

Offlinehalo
Tripper
Male

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: The24HourMC]
    #12969943 - 07/28/10 11:59 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Even though you eat meat are you telling me you've never had a tasty meal or snack without meat in it?

--------------------
All drugs should be legal

InvisibleDoctor_Dick
Forgiveness
Male User Gallery

Loc: top of the tower
Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: halo]
    #12971375 - 07/29/10 11:24 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

at first, it's hard to make the switch.

the fake meat stuff is a good way to start. that way its not gonna be to much of a shock to your taste buds like 24hourmc said.

once you make the switch meat wont taste good to you any more. animal fat will taste bad and then vegetables will taste good

--------------------
:minifo:] "This promise constitutes the heart of my Christian beliefs and my call to natural-scientific research: we will attain to knowledge of the universe through the spirit of truth, and thereby to understanding of our being one with the deepest, most comprehensive reality, God."
-Albert Hofmann

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies