Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Oops, Uncomposted Blood Meal and Algae?
    #12965720 - 07/28/10 08:40 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I've been experimenting with blood meal for a while but am experiencing something new.

I added 1/2 cup blood meal to a brick of coir uncomposted. I mixed up the sub and spawn and made a top layer of just bulk substrate.

I thought the surface was breaking out in trich, all the tiny exposed bits of bloodmeal were turning green. I sucked em all up with a shopvac, wet it down well with cold tapwater, opened up the top holes of the tub for extra fae, and increased the intensity of the light. It seems to be pretty happy, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Anyway, after some research I found this:

"The use of blood meal added to manure or coir is a waste of resources and actually encourages algae to form on the surface of the substrate or casing layer, leading inexperienced growers to throw out a perfectly fine project thinking they have 'green mold'."

It was someone claiming to be quoting Roger Rabbit, but I didnt find the original quote. I'll assume it to be true because I know he doesn't advocate the use of blood meal at all.

But I'm really interested to get confirmation of this algae theory. Is the green that's forming on the little bits of bloodmeal really algae? It's nowhere else but on the little bits of blood and there's no dense white patches of unsporulated trich.

And yes I have learned my lesson about using uncomposted blood meal. I don't need a 'told you so'. I already concede this point. I just want to confirm this algae issue as I want to know what I'm dealing with. Thx.

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Oops, Uncomposted Blood Meal and Algae? [Re: anonjon]
    #12965800 - 07/28/10 09:09 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Algae seems less likely than mold.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: Oops, Uncomposted Blood Meal and Algae? [Re: Doc_T]
    #12965864 - 07/28/10 09:31 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Algae seems less likely than mold.

That's what i certainly thought, but I just did an advanced search and found at least 2 direct RR quotes saying that bloodmeal causes algae to grow on the surface. I'm sure hoping that's what this is.

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix