Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNoveltyTheory
Stranger & stranger

Loc: PotLand Oregon
Paul Stamets -"6 ways mushrooms could save the world" shorter clip than the other posting i found...
    #12961057 - 07/27/10 11:49 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

the following from: http://www.fungi.com/front/stamets/index.html

this is an 18 minute version of the super long one. for all the add stoners who just want to learn quickly, then go toke.... i did all the work! just ed0jee-micate yourself now. :psychsplit:

Paul Stamets has been a dedicated mycologist for over thirty years. Over this time, he has discovered and coauthored four new species of mushrooms, and pioneered countless techniques in the field of edible and medicinal mushroom cultivation. He received the 1998 "Bioneers Award" from The Collective Heritage Institute, and the 1999 "Founder of a New Northwest Award" from the Pacific Rim Association of Resource Conservation and Development Councils. In 2008, Paul received the National Geographic Adventure Magazine's Green-Novator and the Argosy Foundation's E-chievement Awards. He was also named one of Utne Reader's "50 Visionaries Who Are Changing Your World" in their November–December 2008 issue. In February 2010, Paul received the President's Award from the Society for Ecological Restoration: Northwest Chapter, in recognition of his contributions to Ecological Restoration.
He has written six books on mushroom cultivation, use and identification; his books Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms and The Mushroom Cultivator (coauthor) have long been hailed as the definitive texts of mushroom cultivation. Other works by Paul Stamets include Psilocybe Mushrooms and Their Allies (out of print), Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World, MycoMedicinals®: an Informational Treatise on Mushrooms, and many articles and scholarly papers. His newest book is Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save The World.

Paul sees the ancient Old Growth forests of the Pacific Northwest as a resource of incalculable value, especially in terms of its fungal genome. A dedicated hiker and explorer, his passion is to preserve, protect, and clone as many ancestral strains of mushrooms as possible from this pristine woodlands. Much of the financial resources generated from sales of goods from Fungi Perfecti are returned to sponsor such research.

"The time to act is now. Waiting for science and society to wake up to the importance of these ancient Old Growth fungi is perilously slow and narrow in vision. The meager attempts thus far may be too little, too late. Unless we collectively pool our resources, the mushroom genome will become increasingly threatened, and therefore, our very existence may be at stake. The loss of these keystone organisms should be an ecological call-to-arms for all concerned about our children's future and the future of this planet.
"The rainforests of the Pacific Northwest may harbor mushroom species with profound medicinal properties. At the current rates of extinctions, this last refuge of the mushroom genome should be at the top of the list of priorities for mycologists, environmentalists and government. If I can help advance this knowledge, I will have done my part to protect life on this planet. And yet, if it were not for our customer's contributions, with our limited finances, this goal could not be achieved."

--------------------
novelty theory IS
Novelty Theory IS
No king, no government ever extended to the people more rights than the people insisted upon. And I think we've come to a place with this psychedelic issue. We have the gay community as a model, and all the other communities. We simply have to say, Look: LSD has been around for fifty years now, It ain't going away. WE are not going away. We are not slack-jawed, dazed, glazed, unemployable psychotic creeps. We are pillars of society. You can't do anything in culture without psychedelic people in key positions. And this is the great unspoken of American Creativity. So I think it's basically time to just come out of the closet and go, "You know what, I'm stoned, and I'm proud."
Terence McKenna, True Hallucinations, 1993

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNoveltyTheory
Stranger & stranger

Re: Paul Stamets -"6 ways mushrooms could save the world" shorter clip than the other posting i found... [Re: NoveltyTheory]
    #12961094 - 07/27/10 12:00 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i'm sorry, this subject, is life or death. so exciting.

we evolved from mushrooms.

plants of different species exchange nutrients thru the mycelium network...
the internet is an electronic version of the natural mycelium...

and the mycelium is an INTELLIGENCE. it is sentient.

i love a man who has proved this with good solid science.

oh? an it cures colds and the common flu? i thought science couldn't do that?
but mushrooms can.

--------------------
novelty theory IS
Novelty Theory IS
No king, no government ever extended to the people more rights than the people insisted upon. And I think we've come to a place with this psychedelic issue. We have the gay community as a model, and all the other communities. We simply have to say, Look: LSD has been around for fifty years now, It ain't going away. WE are not going away. We are not slack-jawed, dazed, glazed, unemployable psychotic creeps. We are pillars of society. You can't do anything in culture without psychedelic people in key positions. And this is the great unspoken of American Creativity. So I think it's basically time to just come out of the closet and go, "You know what, I'm stoned, and I'm proud."

OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: Paul Stamets -"6 ways mushrooms could save the world" shorter clip than the other posting i found... [Re: NoveltyTheory]
    #12961591 - 07/27/10 01:53 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fail on that... :laugh2:

Peace
-PS

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

InvisibleNoveltyTheory
Stranger & stranger

Re: Paul Stamets -"6 ways mushrooms could save the world" shorter clip than the other posting i found... [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #12961635 - 07/27/10 02:01 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PrimalSoup said:
Quote:

Fail on that... :laugh2:

Peace
-PS

okay true guy, :awesomenod: granted that i left out a lot of steps. my meaning being:

without them we would not exist in the way we do. at every stage in our development they have affected our evolution.

life has been wiped out several times on the planet, and fungus survived it all.

where did we come from? are we what we eat in that it affects our very genetic makeup over time?

edit: we didn't evolve wholly from any *one* thing, but in part from everything in our eco-sphere

--------------------
novelty theory IS
Novelty Theory IS

Edited by NoveltyTheory (07/27/10 02:03 PM)

OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
    #12964269 - 07/27/10 10:17 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Say what?

Quote:

okay true guy, :awesomenod: granted that i left out a lot of steps. my meaning being:

without them we would not exist in the way we do. at every stage in our development they have affected our evolution.

No.

Quote:

life has been wiped out several times on the planet, and fungus survived it all.

No.

Quote:

where did we come from?

We're vertebrate mammals, we evolved from rat-sized mammals who coexisted with the dinosaurs up to 65 million years ago and then radiated in many directions when they went extinct.

Human ancestors can be traced back about 14 million years, with various degrees of certainty - that is to say, the line of mammals that leads to humans radiated off the ancestral stock around then.  It gave rise to all the primates as well, and we share a common ancestor with chimps and new world anthropoids at about 8 million years ago or so.  After that it was hominids all the way...

Quote:

are we what we eat in that it affects our very genetic makeup over time?

Only in the general sense of thriving or starving.  You aren't what you eat, you are more what you are because something didn't eat your ancestors.

Quote:

edit: we didn't evolve wholly from any *one* thing, but in part from everything in our eco-sphere

Nah, we didn't evolve from spiny fish or dinosaurs or woolly mammoths or the bacteria that lived in their guts.  I get the meaning though - coevolution.  :yinyang2:

Peace
-PS

InvisibleNoveltyTheory
Stranger & stranger

Re: Paul Stamets -"6 ways mushrooms could save the world" shorter clip than the other posting i found... [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #12964918 - 07/28/10 12:32 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i am halfway through the voyage of the beagle by darwin.
i have next on my list "unweaving the rainbow" by dawkins and then "ancestors tale" by the same. later tonight i will relax to some classic cosmos to go to sleep too. i only tell you this so you can rest easy knowing that your wise words are not wasted on these ears.  :gizmo:  i understand everything you say very very well. i just disagree, or, even feel you may not quite have all the tools, or same perception as myself.

which is cool :obamadre:  frobama cool.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13931503/Mushrooms-Human-Relationship
Quote:

Many are unaware that humans are intimately related to fungi. Animals have a more
common ancestry with fungi than with any other kingdom. Fungi and animals have been placed
into a new super kingdom called, “Opisthokonta” (Wright, 2005: 93). We share many overarching
commonalities with fungi. They inhale oxygen and produce carbon dioxide just as we do and
furthermore, the same pathogens that attack fungi also attack humans. It was recently discovered
thatmyce lium, the interwoven network of single celled chains which the fruiting body or
mushroom emerges from, may be the largest organism on the planet. In Oregon, a mat of
mycelium covers twenty thousand cubic acres of forest floor. (Stamets, 2005: 9). These fungal
masses are the grand molecular recyclers of the planet, decomposing organic matter to create
ever growing layers of fertile soil. They have the unique ability to break down complex carbon

molecules, which provoked mycologist Paul Stamets to pioneer the fields of “mycoremediation,” and “mycorestoration,” methods of utilizing the cultivation of mushrooms to decontaminate toxic waste sites, and improve the earth’s ecology.

and then this is from: http://www.lycaeum.org/~sputnik/McKenna/Evolution/
and if you follow the link back, even though terence was out there for some, this theory has lots of science behind it now. and remember dennis, terences brother is a respected scientists at M.A.P.S. and he believes this theory.
Quote:

Perhaps the most intriguing of Terence McKenna's fascinating theories and observations is his explanation for the origin of the human mind and human culture.

To summarize: McKenna theorizes that as the North African jungles receded toward the end of the most recent ice age, giving way to grasslands, a branch of our tree-dwelling primate ancestors left the branches and took up a life out in the open -- following around herds of ungulates, nibbling what they could along the way.

Among the new items in their diet were psilocybin-containing mushrooms growing in the dung of these ungulate herds. The changes caused by the introduction of this drug to the primate diet were many -- McKenna theorizes, for instance, that synesthesia (the blurring of boundaries between the senses) caused by psilocybin led to the development of spoken language: the ability to form pictures in another person's mind through the use of vocal sounds.

About 12,000 years ago, further climate changes removed the mushroom from the human diet, resulting in a new set of profound changes in our species as we reverted to pre-mushroomed and frankly brutal primate social structures that had been modified and/or repressed by frequent consumption of psilocybin.

McKenna's theory has great appeal and intuitive strength, but it is necessarily based on a great deal of supposition interpolating between the few fragmentary facts we know about hominid and early human history. In addition, because McKenna (who describes himself as "an explorer, not a scientist") is also a proponent of much wilder suppositions, such as his "Timewave Zero" theory, his more reasonable theories are usually disregarded by the very scientists whose informed criticism is crucial for their development.

This page links to resources that should help to fill in some of the gaps with data from the sciences and with other theories and myths about human origins.

HERE's a link to erowid about how mushrooms has affected our culture, thereby affecting our meme's (social gene's) just as solidly as affecting our gene's.

also, it is a proven fact now that behavior does affect our gene's,
Quote:

Evolutionary outcomes can be influenced by culture as well as genes, according to a new study released on Wednesday comparing societies around the world.

Natural and social sciences are rarely brought together, but the study analyzed the interaction across 29 countries of two sets of data, genetic and cultural.

The researchers discovered that the majority of people living in countries considered to be collectivist have a certain mutation within a gene that regulates the transport of serotonin, a neurochemical known to have a substantial affect on mood.

For example, in China and other east Asian nations, up to 80 percent of the population carry this so-called "short" allele, or variant, of a stretch of DNA known as 5-HTTLPR.

Previous research had revealed that the S allele is greatly connected to a variety of negative emotions, such as anxiety and depression.

What is even more serious is its association with the impulse to protect oneself and avoid harm.

On the flipside, in countries of European origin that tend toward self-expression and individuality over group goals, the long or "L" allele dominates, with only 40 percent of people carrying the "S" variant.

Published in Britain's Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, the study provides a new take on how such a disparity could have taken place.

to read more visit: http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1777000/culture_genes_affect_behavior/

so, our behavior is modified by mushrooms use.... and behavior affects genes...
and we've been using mushrooms for as long as we've been able to think... so probably longer.

listen, i see what your saying, i just disagree, and honestly, there's a large party on my side of the fence on this issue. we might have to just keep debating... :whoo:

no worries, i know you're smart, this could be fun i could learn something... always down to learn.:awesomenod:  ( i really like that awesomenod emo)

and yes. we all came from a single cell. every living thing from the same goop.

except those new creatures they found living independent of all other life of the sulphur and heat coming out of vents on the ocean floor. but those are another story.

--------------------
novelty theory IS
Novelty Theory IS

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures