Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Laminar Flow Hood, Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineKrayzie
PsychotropicEuphoria

Loc: Garden of Weeden
Ozone Generator?
    #1294711 - 02/09/03 10:06 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well I was wondering if anyone has used an Ozone generator in thier setup yet. What I mean is, would adding ozinated air to a grow chamber benefit the casings? An Ozone generator is used primarily for eliminating odors in the air. However, it in doing so purifies the air and creates an environment similar to the air after a thunder storm.

I know it works well for my little oasis :smirk:
:

:smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Loc: TEXUS
Re: Ozone Generator? [Re: Krayzie]
    #1294719 - 02/09/03 10:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

maybe help kill some airborne contaminates

--------------------
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #1294866 - 02/10/03 12:29 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ozone is harmful to your health. You should not use it anywhere you breathe.

Read Here...

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Loc: Out Yonder
    #1294908 - 02/10/03 01:29 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Greetings All,

The only detriment to ozone in a mushroom grow operation would be the possibility of damage to spores. The "word" that ozone is dangerous is based on old data, flawed by impure production methods and maintained by "experts" with vested interests in maintaining the status quo.

Become a heretic. See the FAQ at

< http://www.oxytherapy.com/ >

Spend a little time to search and learn.

Peace.

--------------------

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

#1294917 - 02/10/03 01:45 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

hey did you make your own generator ? if so how did you make yours, and can you post a pic of it?

--------------------

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

Re: Ozone Generator? [Re: A0999]
    #1294920 - 02/10/03 01:52 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

im thinking adding O3 to your shooms environment would be a lot less beneficial than adding pure oxygen

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1294974 - 02/10/03 03:05 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hey did you make your own generator ? if so how did you make yours, and can you post a pic of it?

www.overgrow.com has lots of info about making ozone machines. lots of info about the health implications too

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Ozone Generator? [Re: JaComet]
    #1294993 - 02/10/03 03:29 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

According to the link you provided, ozone is harmful to your health. Yet in your post you say:

Quote:

The "word" that ozone is dangerous is based on old data, flawed by impure production methods and maintained by "experts" with vested interests in maintaining the status quo.

I remain confused where you came to this conclusion of conspiracy.

Both links say that it is concentration dependant (low concentrations not bad, high concentrations fatal). Personally I wouldn't use anything like that for growing mushrooms, removing odors, etc. The risks outweigh the benefit, and the home is not a controlled therapy environment either. If you have a generator that can measure the PPM of O3, then use it with a setting that is well below the irritating levels to minimize risks to your health.

Of course, if your at all concerned with your health, I would steer clear of ozone and either work out a better air exchange or get some pressurized O2. Although the latter would be an extremely high fire hazard.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineWaldarbeiter
can you eat it?

Loc: woods of lower bavaria
Re: Ozone Generator? [Re: ATWAR]
    #1295158 - 02/10/03 05:02 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Hi !
I think it's also harmful for the shrooms.(At least if you have the thing running all the time to "provide" your mycelium)
I know a person that uses a selfmade ozone generator to kill contaminants.
I think O3 breaks down to O2 and O(atomar), with the latter being a cont-killa.

InvisibleMeltingPenguin
Pooh-Bah

Loc: new england
    #1295167 - 02/10/03 05:07 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i was useing a very powerful ozone genorator to decontaime the room i keep my flow hood in. it kills everything. i would time it to run for four hours, then shut off.

its good to wait 45 mins before entering a room that's been ozoned. if you breath it in it kinds feels like heard burn in your lungs, or gives you a headache

however i no longer have that ozone, and am looking to get a new one
this one is the cheapest, and claimes to be king shit,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3005722549&category=14949
but they say nothing of the actual output, and they talk about jesus a lot which makes me think its bull

--------------------
Growing anything is good for the soul

InvisibleMeltingPenguin
Pooh-Bah

Loc: new england
    #1295171 - 02/10/03 05:08 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

btw, ozone would hurt your mycelium if you kept in running for too long.

the ozone doesn't hurt your plants???

--------------------
Growing anything is good for the soul

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Re: Ozone Generator? [Re: ATWAR]
    #1296033 - 02/10/03 10:22 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

atwar,

Who said conspiracy? It's just business as usual by those with economic interest in existing belief structures. I simply object to blanket statements that ozone is bad for you. I presume anyone utilizing a commercially available O3 unit has read and follows the directions. I further presume interested individuals would find the oxytherapy site useful.

Wouldn't suggest a home built myself. There are many variables and cautions are often missing from DIY instructions. It's easy enough to do, just study first.

From my experience the "symptoms" from lower level O3 exposure ( headache, nasal discharge, chest discomfort, diarrhea ) are natural cleansing reactions which will go away as the body eliminates. I know a chemist who claims to spend 10 to 12 hours a day in his lab with exposures in the range of 2.000 ppm +. He's been at it since 1983 that I know of.

Here's a list of O3 levels that seems to be about standard for acceptance. Clipped from somewhere on the oxy site and edited once upon a time.

0.001 ppm
Lowest detectable by hypersensitive humans. Too low to measure accurately with elaborate electronic equipment.

0.003 ppm
Threshold of odor perception in laboratory environment, 50 per cent confidence level.

0.003 ppm to 0.010 ppm
The threshold of odor perception by the average person in clean air. Readily detectable by most normal persons. Can be measured with fair accuracy. O3 levels measured in typical residences and offices equipped with a properly operating electronic air cleaner when outdoor level is low. Infiltrating outdoor O3 could cause higher indoor concentrations.

0.020 ppm
Threshold of odor perception in laboratory environment, 90 per cent confidence level.

0.001 to 0.125 ppm
Typical concentrations found in the natural atmosphere. These levels of concentration vary with altitude, atmospheric conditions and locale.

0.020 to 0.040 ppm
Representative average total oxidant concentrations in some major cities in 1964. Approximately 95 per cent or greater of these oxidants are generally accepted to be O3.

0.040 ppm
CSA maximum limit for devices for household use. Measured as sustained concentration in test room.

0.050 ppm
Maximum allowable concentration recommended by ASHRAE in an air conditioned and ventilated space.

0.050 ppm
Maximum concentration produced by electronic air cleaners / residential devices according to the proposed amendment of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.

0.064 ppm
Proposed national ambient air quality standards for photochemical oxidants (maximum 1 hour concentration not to be exceeded more than once per year).

0.100 ppm
The maximum allowable concentration in industrial working areas / Continuous maximum concentration allowable (per U.S. Navy in confined quarters such as atomic submarines permissible human exposure - 8 hours per day, 6 days a week. (Maximum allowable limit for industrial, public, or occupied spaces in England, Japan, France, the Netherlands and Germany.)

0.15 to 0.51 ppm
Typical peak concentrations in American cities.

0.200 ppm
Prolonged exposure of humans under occupational and experimental conditions produced no apparent ill effects. The threshold level at which nasal and throat irritation will result appears to be about 0.300 ppm.

0.300 ppm
Level at which some species of plant life began to show signs of ozone effects. Foliage injury appears as dark stipples, light flecks, dead patches and general discoloration. The stomata (pores) of adult leaves are the first areas to show signs of damage.

0.500 ppm
Level at which Los Angeles, California, declares its Smog Alert No. 1. Can cause nausea and headaches in some individuals. Extended exposure could cause lung edema (an abnormal accumulation of serous fluid in connective tissue or serous cavity). Enhances the susceptibility to respiratory infections. (Older info? Threshold lowered post Constable)

1.00 to 2.00 ppm
Los Angeles, California, declares its Smog Alert No. 2 at 1.00 ppm ozone and Smog Alert No. 3 at 1.500 ppm. When this range of concentration was inhaled by human volunteers for 2 hours, it caused symptoms which could be tolerated without incapacitation with the symptoms subsiding after a few days. The symptoms were headache, pain in the chest, and dryness of the respiratory tract.

1.40 to 5.60 ppm
The pinto bean exposed to 1.4 to 5.0 pp concentrations for 70 minutes showed some signs of severe injury to mature leaves.

5.00 to 25.00 ppm
Experimentation showed that a 3 hour exposure at 12 ppm was lethal for Guinea pigs. Welders who were exposed to 9 ppm concentration plus other air pollutants developed pulmonary edema. Chest X-rays were normal in 2 to 3 weeks, but 9 months later they still complained of fatigue and exertional dyspnea (labored respiration).

25.00 ppm and up
Ozone concentrations that are immediately hazardous to human life are unknown but on the basis of animal experimentation, and exposure at 50 ppm concentration for 60 minutes would probably be fatal.

Peace.

--------------------

OfflineTheta
TranscendentalExplorer

#1296413 - 02/10/03 12:26 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Wouldn't suggest a home built myself. There are many variables and cautions are often missing from DIY instructions. It's easy enough to do, just study first.

That's because you sell the stuff, right? (BTW, presenting a commercial site, one that has a vested interest in the perpetuation of "oxytherapy," is hardly a way to lead one to unbiased facts.)

Ozone will probably do more harm than good. Terrestrial organisms simply have not evolved in such a way as to take advantage of ozone while staving off it's harmfull oxidizing effects.

On that note, too much oxygen is unhealth for an organizm as well.

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Re: Ozone Generator? [Re: Theta]
    #1298219 - 02/11/03 01:08 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

theta,

I don't sell a thing. It saddens me to think you took the oxytherapy site for just commercial. Maybe one day you will come to know the trouble oxy people have gone through in following their path.

l8tr

--------------------

OfflineTheta
TranscendentalExplorer

#1298655 - 02/11/03 06:24 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Don't let it sadden you brother, that's not my intent. If you don't sell the stuff, you should.

OfflineGagePLoungin
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: High in the mountains
    #1298698 - 02/11/03 06:40 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ozone generators are a great investment. O3 breaks down to o2 and o in less than 2 minutes. My rate of contams went from5% to .2% in 4 months. My honey water never gets contams now. They are not good to run 24/7 though (about 4 hours/day works for me). Always good to run one in the area when doing delicate procedures. Read and follow instructions with unit when using one, as there are some health risks involved with prolonged exposure. My guys seem to love it. My friends dad used to build them (professionally) so keep an eye out for my build-your-own thread.

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

Re: Ozone Generator? [Re: GagePLoungin]
    #1300971 - 02/11/03 10:21 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

so keep an eye out for my build-your-own thread

sweet. i'll be waiting for that!

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Re: Ozone Generator? [Re: GagePLoungin]
    #1301256 - 02/12/03 03:12 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

what forum will you be posting this thread in in?

--------------------

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#1306912 - 02/14/03 02:04 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

there are pretty simple plans plain as day at overgrow:
http://www.overgrow.com/faq/browse.php?qa=776

--------------------

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Re: Ozone Generator? [Re: felix]
    #1307522 - 02/14/03 08:15 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

ive alredy seen those, i was just wondering if there were more advanced plans.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Laminar Flow Hood, Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology