Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEkuenchuocha
<none>
Loc: An Island
second try at growing (after a long long time)
    #1294703 - 02/09/03 10:01 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

well, after my first attempt failed, i sort of gradually stoped being interested in growing mushrooms. i steered towoard weed. i had one good plant growing (about a foot) then my mom cut it. at least i think it was cut. by her. but yea, im using 12 kerr jars. 8oz (is that correct? i just eyballed it not knowing what half a pint was), they have lace designs on them, embedded in the glass, will that affect how the cakes come out? im using the pf tek, w/ brf ground up in a cofee grinder (or so my friend told me it was one, idk what one looks like, but it had 2 blades). im going to use the boiling method for sterilization and i have a couple small questions with more to come. and i will repeat some questions.

1. is 8oz 1/2pint?
2. if the jars have glass designs, that make it a little ruff inside, will it affect the cakes coming out?
3. is there any good teks on using the boiling method, ones with pictures and step by step instructions? (i dont know if i can let the jars sit in the water, or be above the water, i dont know how tight the jars need to be, etc.)
4. the jar caps im using are the ones that seal all the way. when you close the jar, they stick to the sides so that when u unscrew it, the metal round thing comes on the the lid sticks on, how do i poke nail holes in this w/out having the lid fall off?
5. are there any good descriptions on the oven tek? pic by pic explanations, or text for dummies? (how hot does the oven half to be (not low, med, or high heat)) and can you use the oven tek for making casings?
6. does lysol kill spores? if i were to lysol a pan and wipe it off, then put the casing material (have not decided on what it is) in, will it kill spores?
7. there will be more :smile:

i will be sterilizing/ putting substrate in jars on saturday, today is monday. i have everything measured out using pf tek for dummies

ah, p.s
8. the spores im using are the ones i got from joshua a long time ago. i wrapped the syringes in foil and put them in my xbox box (nice hiding place eh?) will they still be sterile? there quite alot of dust around the box, not much inside. (i also used the box to hide some of my pipes for weed, but not anymore)

thanks (sorry if this does not make much sense, if my grammer sucks, but im tired, and ive been studying my ass off) 

--------------------
If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEkuenchuocha
<none>
Re: second try at growing (after a long long time) [Re: Ekuenchuocha]
    #1294726 - 02/09/03 10:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

oh yea, i forgot. the last time i tried to grow i used gerber baby food jars (tried to make my own tek) it failed horribly. i also had some drinking glasses, one of the gerber jars colonized all the way, and one of the drinking glasses (they ranged in size) the rest eitehr did not grow or were contaminated. well, the gerber jar was made into a small casing which fell to contams, and the jar, grew one long skinny shroom, but my friend left it in his car and it fried/ rotted/ stank.

i have never tried shrooms b4, and they are not available where im at. i will be the first one (i think) to grow them

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1294742 - 02/09/03 10:30 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

>1. is 8oz 1/2pint?

Lat time I checked this was the same.

>2. if the jars have glass designs, that make it a little ruff inside, will it affect the
cakes coming out?
Possibly,yes.

3. is there any good teks on using the boiling method, ones with pictures and step
>by step instructions? (i dont know if i can let the jars sit in the water, or be above
>the water, i dont know how tight the jars need to be, etc.)

www.fungifun.org/pf

>4. the jar caps im using are the ones that seal all the way. when you close the
>jar, they stick to the sides so that when u unscrew it, the metal round thing
>comes on the the lid sticks on, how do i poke nail holes in this w/out having the
lid fall off?
You poke the holes before filling them with substrate.

>5. are there any good descriptions on the oven tek? pic by pic explanations, or
>text for dummies? (how hot does the oven half to be (not low, med, or high
>heat)) and can you use the oven tek for making casings?

Not that I?d know of. IME the oven tek is worthless.

>6. does lysol kill spores? if i were to lysol a pan and wipe it off, then put the
>casing material (have not decided on what it is) in, will it kill spores?

Yes, it kills spores, at least to some extent.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1294749 - 02/09/03 10:32 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

oh, yeah, I forgot:

Read the FAQ!
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3171

OfflineEkuenchuocha
<none>
Re: second try at growing (after a long long time) [Re: Anno]
    #1294767 - 02/09/03 10:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i did read the fact. over and over. it just doesnt have the type of info i need. (i need things to be thorough w/ every little detail, at least this time around)

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #1295504 - 02/10/03 07:01 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

this is what the forrum is all about, mycology involves a great deal of experimentation, you will find a great deal of people here that have tried almost everything....when you get started it's best to try something thats been very successful before modifying it.

Prisoner#1

Offlineshroomologist
Loc: SouthEastern US
    #1295930 - 02/10/03 09:46 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i know for a fact that all of those questions apart from the first one, was answered in the FAQ section of this website. You didn't read it all. do a search if you don't find it SPELLED OUT for you.

i lurked on here for almost a year before posting. I read the FAQ, and almost if not all of my stupid questions were answered.

OfflineEkuenchuocha
<none>
Boiling method [Re: Ekuenchuocha]
    #1300883 - 02/11/03 09:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

First, a quote from the pf tek. With capilization of the statements in question "Turn the heat down and gently steam the jars at the lowest possible boil for an hour in a TIGHTLY COVERED POT(gas stoves are the easiest to control). A GOOD TIGHT FITTING POT LID is ESSENTIAL FOR SUCCESSFUL STEAMING"

it says tight fitting lid. does that mean a lid made for the pot (one that rests perfectly on top) or one that is weighted down. by this i mean, pressure is put on the lid so the steam has a hard time escaping. if that is what it means, then how much weight should be put for a "TIGHT FITTING POT LID"?

thanks

--------------------

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

Re: Boiling method [Re: Ekuenchuocha]
    #1300952 - 02/11/03 10:06 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

just a heavy lid. the one that was made for the pot. you shouldn't see loads of steam coming out between the lid and pot.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation