Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinerosewoodpete
a grain of sandamongst thedunes

My essay on the Afghan nation
    #1294281 - 02/09/03 07:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I know its long, but I wrote it for a night class i am taking. I thought some of you might be interested in it.

Staying the Course in Afghanistan

It is essential to the US’ previous efforts in Afghanistan to maintain a presence there if we are to accomplish the task we originally set out to do. An in-depth analysis of the culture and society of Afghanistan must be taken into account to understand the logistics of what the military is trying to do. Afghanistan is a nation ruled by warring tribes that are run by warlords. We can’t simply set up a democracy and then leave, expecting that democracy to hold. The vast diversity present in the population and the fact that multiple factions are vying for power makes a democratic system very unstable. It is likely that should we pull out, one warlord or another would make a vie for power and if gained, would use force to maintain his power. And then we are left with a system just like the Taliban. We wanted to get rid of Al Queda and destroy their training camps. A situation like the above-mentioned scenario would make it perfect for Al Queda or other similar groups to come in. Al Queda had such a hold in Afghanistan because they had an agreement with the Taliban. They would protect the Taliban and the Taliban would allow them to call Afghanistan home. It is just as likely that a faction warring for power would cut the same kind of deal with an extremist group in order to maintain their solidarity.
Considering the increasingly negative sentiments towards the US that the Afghanis seem to express, it is likely that an extremist group, were it to form, would have similar objects to those of Bin Laden’s group. According to publicized intelligence that our state department has gathered, Al Queda hasn’t been destroyed, rather they have been dispersed. So the minute we pull out, I think it assumable that they would just reassemble and set up camp back in Afghanistan using the exact same diplomatic tactics they did after the Russians pulled out in the eighties. I think the most important tactic to leaving a lasting positive imprint in Afghanistan is going to be proving to the people that democracy works. The U.S.A. is going to have to do that by showing them all the benefits of democracy. A banking system needs to be established, the country must be rebuilt, highways and communication systems established, and big commerce needs to move in. The Afghan people have known nothing but war for twenty or more years and it will take time for them to adjust to a peaceful setting. Right now, we are showing Afghanistan all of our policing and military powers. We need to show them there are much greater benefits to our kind of system. These types of changed just don’t occur overnight. For the Afghan people to put faith in our system that we established for them, the population as a whole needs to benefit. That means severe economic boosts, health care system changes, and a stable non-dictatorship government that can be trusted.
It would be a total waste of millions of dollars, lost American lives, and a stab out our international reputation for us to pull out of Afghanistan right now. As I have stated above, should we pull out, all of our efforts will have been wasted. Afghanistan would fall back into the depths that the world has tried so desperately to get it out of. With all that we have invested in the Afghani’s future, it would be an injustice to all who have served and fallen in the line of duty to achieve our object if we pulled out before the job was done. As to how to stay the course, I think diplomacy is most definitely the key. Yes, a policing force is required because there are still pockets of anti-western groups in the country. But we must help the native clans and warring factions come to the realization that they have so much more to gain by working together and “globalizing”, than by fighting for power and falling farther and farther behind the rest of the world. Afghanistan is far behind its neighbors in the race to become a modern country and if we don’t stay the course and catch them up, then I don’t think anyone will. That would be just as much an injustice to our own people, as it would to those in the Afghan nation who have put so much faith in us.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: My essay on the Afghan nation [Re: rosewoodpete]
    #1294347 - 02/09/03 07:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Nice essay. Looks like Afghanistan has already been abandoned to the nightmare of another civil war between the savage Northern Alliance warlords and the reformed Taliban.

All the talk about "nation-building" that Bush talked about was, surprise surprise, utter bullshit.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleMushMushi
Loc: Canada
Re: My essay on the Afghan nation [Re: Xlea321]
    #1295071 - 02/10/03 04:21 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Where is George Bush and the rest of the US?
The defenders of freedom ? Where are they?
What happened to the Afghan paradise?

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: My essay on the Afghan nation [Re: MushMushi]
    #1295251 - 02/10/03 05:42 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Where is George Bush and the rest of the US?

I'm afraid they're too busy blowing fuck out of some other bunch of little brown people.

But don't worry - they'll keep the profits of Iraqs oilfields in trust for the Iraqi people!!!  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Anonymous

#1297385 - 02/10/03 05:40 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

there are still U.S. troops in afghanistan, keeping the peace, looking out for U.S. interests. we may not be there with as pure of intentions as we'd like people to believe... but no... we have not abandoned afghanistan. where do you guys come up with this stuff? al... read the essay... it's about how we should not abandon afghanistan... it in now way suggests that we have in any way begun to do so... READ.

it's gonna be hard to build afghanistan up from the ground. their only real wealth is in poppies. they're trying tough, and they know as well as you and i that to knock out the taliban and just leave is pointless. believe it or not guys.... and i know this comes as a shock... i was quite shocked when i realized this one day... but here it is... not everything the United States does is evil, corrupt, foolish, or wrong. when you attack every little thing we do... it really waters you down.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: My essay on the Afghan nation [Re: ]
    #1297737 - 02/10/03 07:50 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

we have not abandoned afghanistan

Yes you have.

read the essay

Try reading other peoples essays too. Don't base all your information on one essay. Read the thread "Don't mention Afghanistan" for starters. It's recent enough.

when you attack every little thing we do

Not every little thing - just bombing fuck out of countries and then leaving them to starve. That's kind of a big thing in my book.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Anonymous

#1298616 - 02/11/03 06:02 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

forget it. nevermind. you are right al. you're always right.

Offlinerosewoodpete
a grain of sandamongst thedunes

Re: My essay on the Afghan nation [Re: ]
    #1298642 - 02/11/03 06:14 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The production of poppies has risen 30% since the Taliban left power. This is suprising to me but the reason behind it makes since. The crops traditionally grown in Afghanistan require irrigation systems due to the dry nature of the country. These irrigation systems have existed for hundreds if not thousands of years. The US, and i don't know whether it was intentional or not, bombed and destroyed the vast majority of these irrigation systems during our bombing of the country. So the farmers had no option but to turn to a cash crop that can be grown readily without those systems. And of course, what better than poppies.

Anonymous

Re: My essay on the Afghan nation [Re: rosewoodpete]
    #1298670 - 02/11/03 06:31 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

So buying drugs supports democracy :blush:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion