Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Allow me to introduce: Hanging Grow Chamber! (HGC)
    #1293833 - 02/09/03 02:25 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

As some of you already know, I have struggled for about one week now to find a perfect grow chamber/terarrium. After stumbling thru several unsatisfactory setups (RH too high, no light penetrable, etc.) I came across this:

I got it from Bed, Bath, & Beyond. The first is a simple stand for hanging clothes, $19.99 that can be adjustable up to 60''.
The second is the masterpiece, a hanging, clear piece that can hold up to eight shelves. This cost another $19.99 and is approximately 54'' tall.

Here is a picture.

I'm going to either attach a means of humidifying (probably a tub at the bottom with an airstone or whatnot) and poke a few holes at the bottom for CO2 escape.

I'll keep you all updated. Feedback is welcome!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineUber
Wash ufungi,drive me tofruitenzi

Loc: DRC
Re: Allow me to introduce: Hanging Grow Chamber! (HGC) [Re: daba]
    #1293876 - 02/09/03 02:39 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting, although I think the clear plastic wardrobes from Walmart seem more promising. It seems like your setup would have problems with the shelves sagging over time.

I plan on building a terrarium with the walmart wardrobe sometime in the next couple weeks and will be posting pics.

Good luck with your project and keep us updated!

--------------------
"The old adage that ignorance of the law is no excuse becomes a ludicrous
statement when the laws themselves are rooted in ignorance"

- Adam Gottlieb

Anonymous

Re: Allow me to introduce: Hanging Grow Chamber! (HGC) [Re: Uber]
    #1293895 - 02/09/03 02:47 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Sagging will not be a problem, as long as weight is eveln distributed. Here is what i plan on doing with it:

The trays will be the casings, I may take out the middle shelves to allow growth.
In each tray is a hygrometer, which I will check in a few hours.

The bottom tray consists of a tray with water and an air stone. I may add more/less air stones to adjust the RH and air exchange. We'll see how everything works out. I'll keep you all updated.

Sorry about the crooked picture, I'm not really a photographer and my webcam sucks. If I can find out how to use this nice digital FinePix camera I have, I'll do that to help elucidate the pictures in the future.

Feedback plz ^_^.

Anonymous

#1294523 - 02/09/03 06:26 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Problems:

First, it took a very long time for the thing to get to adequate humidity, esp at the top, so at 50% RH I decided to redo the humidification process.

To my dismay, the cheap-o shelves DO sag a little bit, but the way it is connected if you put too much weight on it it'll fall down.

I ended up putting two air stones in the bottom chamber (and cleaning up a lot of water).

Tomorrow I'm going to go to Home Depot or Do-It Center and see what they can do to help make the shelves and rope stronger.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1294590 - 02/09/03 07:00 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

The shelf looks good, let?s see how it performs. But i don?t see a reason why you woudn?t get it to work.

OfflineKrayzie
PsychotropicEuphoria

Loc: Garden of Weeden
Re: Allow me to introduce: Hanging Grow Chamber! (HGC) [Re: Anno]
    #1294601 - 02/09/03 07:09 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I was reading a post about this on the advanced grow forum. It didn't use the cloths rack like you did...but rather a Mini Green house. I like the idea though...it is compact, collapseable, and prefabricated, minimizing the work my ass has to do. :smirk:   

Anonymous

Re: Allow me to introduce: Hanging Grow Chamber! (HGC) [Re: Krayzie]
    #1294642 - 02/09/03 07:28 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

One thing I like about this is that you can also hang your jackets on the side :smile:, or perhaps more collapsable closets. Also, if you don't want to buy a frame, you can just use your closet to grow shrooms :smile:.

Again, this cheap rope and cheap shelves collapse when too much weight is applied on them. The beams on the top seem sturdy enough; I'm going to go and see if I can buy more sturdy shelves/strings (maybe metal).

Keep you all updated.

daba 

Anonymous

#1294656 - 02/09/03 07:33 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

A note on humidity.
As you know I've put in two airstones instead of one. They are about 6'' in length and are the "microbubbler" type.

They sit in a small 6 QT sterlite tub with approx 1.5-2'' water. Oddly enough, the topmost shelf shows a RH of 86% and rising after only a few hours of operation.

Hopefully, it won't rise above 86%.

This unit is completely sealed off. How would CO2 escape? I'm thinking about poking a few holes at the bottom, but then again, the zipper isn't airtight.

I simply ran air tubing from the top (where the zipper comes in) into the bottom. Works fine for me.

Maybe I will poke a few holes in the bottom so I can use less air tubing and let CO2 escape at the same time. After all, CO2 does sink to the bottom.

daba

Offlinechills420
Poo Pie Maker

#1294898 - 02/09/03 11:14 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

LOL this is cool I was actually thinking about this yesterday @ k-mart while my wife shoped.
She came around the corner and must have read my mind cuz she just said flat out NO.

LOL b sure to post pics of this working. Then maybe i can win her over LOL

--------------------
Teach a man to make cakes he will trip for a night. Teach a man to case he will trip forever

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Allow me to introduce: Hanging Grow Chamber! (HGC) [Re: chills420]
    #1295374 - 02/10/03 04:12 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LOL this is cool I was actually thinking about this yesterday @ k-mart while my wife shoped.
She came around the corner and must have read my mind cuz she just said flat out NO.

LOL b sure to post pics of this working. Then maybe i can win her over LOL

For some reason I get that from mine all the time....especialy if it involves spending a nickel......

P#1

Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: daba]
    #1295379 - 02/10/03 04:13 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Anonymous

Re: Allow me to introduce: Hanging Grow Chamber! (HGC) [Re: vatoloco]
    #1296194 - 02/10/03 09:22 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

The two stones at the bottom does the trick with 1.5-2'' water.
At the bottommost shelf RH fluctuates 93-94%
Two shelves up its at 84%.
Strangely enough at the topmost shelf its at 87% but this one stays constant.

I think I perfected the humidity!

Temperature is in the 64-67F range. I'm just going to add a small heater in the tub with the airstones.

I'm going to DO-IT center right now to see what they can do about the cheap-o flimsy shelves and cheap-o ropes.

Keep y'all updated.

Anonymous

#1296896 - 02/10/03 01:19 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

ARGH! I'm spending a lot of time doing this.

I bought some AIR VENT COVERS for fuckin $5 a piece! 10''x10'' as the 12''x12'' was too big. I also got some plastic coated steel wire, so that won't rust. I also got some clamps to hold the thing in place. What I plan to do is put the cheap-o rickety shelves on top of the strong metal air vent covers to provide support. Now it can easily hold more than 5 lbs.

I'll get back to you all when I'm done.

Anonymous

#1296951 - 02/10/03 01:40 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

OK. Air vents wont work. Too many complications. Don't try them unless you can get a exact solid copy of the plastic shelf.

So I've decided to go backwards. Fuck these vents. I'm taking them back to Home Depot tomorrow and getting all my $$$ back. The weakness in this setup was the slide-in rope holes of the plasitc flimsy shelves. Now that I have plastic coated wiring and clamps, this shouldn't be a problem anymore. And since the clamps are galvanzied, no rust should occur.

I'll see what happens...

Offlinemoosehead
poop deck
 User Gallery

Loc: pnw
    #1297383 - 02/10/03 03:39 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Good luck, I hope it all works out. :smile:

OfflineUber
Wash ufungi,drive me tofruitenzi

Loc: DRC
    #1297937 - 02/10/03 07:30 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Dude. I dunno about this hanging closet thing... just seems too flimsy to me! I really think you'd be better off with one of those plastic wardrobe/closets or better yet an indoor greenhouse from MegaLoMart (only because it has the angled roof). Personally I am going for the plastic wardrobe because they're only $22 and I can use my own shelving which will a) be sturdy and b) suits my needs since it's custom picked for my terrarium!

Uber

--------------------
"The old adage that ignorance of the law is no excuse becomes a ludicrous
statement when the laws themselves are rooted in ignorance"

- Adam Gottlieb

OfflineMagician26
Wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Where wild mushroms grow,...
    #1298091 - 02/10/03 09:18 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

i think the hanging set-up would work good for those who have to keep thier growing really secret. i would definitely use one of those in the situation i'm in.......but i don't have a closet... oh well..... hope the project works out for ya,

--------------------
The above is just an illusion.

Anonymous

Re: Allow me to introduce: Hanging Grow Chamber! (HGC) [Re: Magician26]
    #1299182 - 02/11/03 07:29 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Like i said earlier, i changed it to 3/32'' plastic coated wire with some clamps. I took out most the shelves, now its only 2 helves and the RH stays at 93% all the time.

It's perfect, and if you have a big closet you can hang many of them :smile:.

I'll test it out and show you some pics of what happens. 

Anonymous

#1300762 - 02/11/03 05:53 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

well. I just cased some jars that i thought were contaminated with bacillus sp. or wet spot, sour rot, etc, but when i opened the jars, they smelled shroomerific! (there was only less than 1/16'' of water on the bottom anyway, its a long story)

So i went and cased 3 of them with 50/50+ casing tek. However, for the lack of CaCO3 (Calcium carbonate) i used some strange calcium pills from calcium carbonate and made some CALCIUM CARBONATE MILK by simply adding water! I just dumped that into the 50/50 casing. I hope I don't get contams :|.

If this casing is a success, I'll throw it in the grow chamber and only time will tell if the HGC is successful!

Anonymous

#1301885 - 02/12/03 07:00 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Personally, I like my setup, even though I haven't tested any thing in it yet.

The temperature is around 67-75, depending on shelf location.

You can add/subtract shelves.

Depending on where you put your airstones, you can achieve anywhere from 94% RH down to 85% at the very top.

This is somewhat versatile, and if you hang it in your closet it becomes very incognito.

The only modification I would suggest you getting is a 3/32'' plastic coated wire and some small clamps. Total for this should be not more than $5 for the wire/rope, and not more than $5 for the clamps.

Trays should cost no more than two dollars a piece. I use Target's kitty litter trays that are opaque, ideal for casing.

Air pump should be $15-$25. I suggest you get a two outlet air pump just incase you want to add a HGC, but the T-pipe they give you can hold two 6'' airstones, which should be no more than $4 a piece.

So total comes to about $40 for the HGC and closet rack ($20 if you have a closet rack or you want to hang it in your closet) $5 for plastic coated wire, $25 for air pump and air tubing, and $8 for airstones, even less.

Grand total is anywhere from $30-$70, depending on what you have and what quality/quantity of things you choose to buy. Techinically, all you'll really need is the hanging closet and the wire and clamps, which should be around $30.

Please don't go out and buy this yet until I throughly test it out. I don't want you to come back and be upset at me :smile:.

I'll let you all know if this is a success, then go and buy the supplies needed. 

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck