Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMoon_Tea_Brewer
Stranger

Mushroom ID Request!
    #1293636 - 02/09/03 12:51 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Hey all. I've been looking around in the woods the past few weeks, and I've finally found what appears to be some genuine psilocybin mushrooms. First off, here's a picture:

These mushrooms all bruise bluish-green near the base! This is what has me excited. The younger specimens also look very much like young Psilocybe Cubensis mushrooms, although they are different in a number of ways.

Setting:
I found these in Northern California. They were growing off of a fallen pine tree that was sitting partially submerged in a pond at the edge of the woods. It was raining heavily for a long time, but has been sunny for nearly a week.

Size:
The largest one has a cap about 1 1/4 in. wide, with a stalk about the same length. The smaest mushroom has a cap about 1/4 in. wide, but the stalk is about 1 in., nearly as long as the largest mushroom.

Cap:
The cap is fleshy, with different specimens having different shapes (though each appears to have a slight knob at the top. It's cap is a very dark reddish-brown color, and is cracked almost like caked mud. Near the margin the cracked surface becomes fibrous, with small overlapping layers.

Gills:
The gills are definitely attached to the stalk, and are bright yellow color. They gills also seem slightly orange at some places.

Stalk:
THe stalk is off-white and fibrous, and looks almost exactly like the stalk of a Psilocybe Cubensis mushroom. The stalk, like the cap, is very fleshy. I cut the stalk open on the larger one, and the flesh was thick, white-yellow, and fibrous.

Spore Print:
By the time I got home the mushrooms had been in my vest pocket for nearly a day. They feel kind of dry. I'm trying to do a spore print but doubt that I will get one. I'll keep you updated if a spore print does appear.

That's all the info I have. If anyone needs me to check the mushrooms to find out soemthing else, feel free to ask.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Mushroom ID Request! [Re: Moon_Tea_Brewer]
    #1293665 - 02/09/03 01:14 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

not sure what you have there but they are definately not psilocybian.

I thought at first you had a boletes but you mentioned it has gills.

Hard to see what is under the caps an no good images of the color fooof the caps, but they are not magic.

mj

It most likely is something to avoid.

mj

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #1293721 - 02/09/03 01:42 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Most likely a dryed up Cortinarius. Definetely not active, most likely inedible.  Excellent description by the way, 5 stars for you  :cool:

Edited by Remy (02/09/03 01:45 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1293736 - 02/09/03 01:49 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Those are interesting specimens. The bruising is odd

My guess is that you've found Armillaria ostoyae, one of the types of Honey Mushrooms. If so, then they should produce a white spore print.

Here is a key to the genus Armillaria which may be of some help to you.

If you are able to get a spore print, let us know what it is (especially if it isn't white).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1293758 - 02/09/03 02:00 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I thought it really looked like a Cortinarius.

As for the species I would have to guess that it would fall into the glaucopus group.

OfflineMoon_Tea_Brewer
Stranger

#1294160 - 02/09/03 04:36 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the replies guys. I checked out the pictures of those mushrooms you mentioned, but couldn't seem to find anything that resembled what I have.

Sorry about the fuzzy pic, btw. My camera is a piece of crap.

Still no spore print showing as of yet. Maybe sitting overnight will help.

Edited by Moon_Tea_Brewer (02/09/03 04:38 PM)

Offlineferret
strange

Loc: VIC, Australia
    #1294194 - 02/09/03 04:47 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

dropping a few drops of water on the cap might help the sporeprint along...

Anonymous

#1294229 - 02/09/03 04:58 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1294782 - 02/09/03 08:56 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Like others said... it's a Cortinarius. Probably from Cortinarius violaceus species complex.

http://www.grzyby.pl/gatunki/Cortinarius_violaceus.htm

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushroom ID Request! [Re: zeronio]
    #1294877 - 02/09/03 10:48 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I don?t think it?s Cortinarus.

Look what he writes:
"They were growing off of a fallen pine tree that was sitting partially submerged in a pond at the edge of the woods"

Corinarius never grows directly on wood.

But Armilaria ostoyae does grow of dead (and living) soft wood trees.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Mushroom ID Request! [Re: Anno]
    #1294884 - 02/09/03 11:01 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I overlooked that - I made my judgement from that violet color.
The spore print color should solve the problem. Armillarea - white!

OfflineMoon_Tea_Brewer
Stranger

Re: Mushroom ID Request! [Re: zeronio]
    #1295715 - 02/10/03 06:12 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

OK its been overnight, and...no spore print. Sorry guys.

I checked out the pictures of those Cortinarius; definitely not them. These mushrooms have a cap the color of wet red-brown clay, gills that are a very bright yellow-orange, and an off-white stalk (the violet color you see in the picture was caused by some of the caps rubbing their pigment on the stalk).

I also noticed something new; now that the mushrooms are partially dry, the stalks are faintly purple-brown over the white coloring. I'll try to get a couple more pictures, but once again, my camera is shit.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous

Re: Mushroom ID Request! [Re: Anno]
    #1295717 - 02/10/03 06:13 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom ID Request! [Re: ]
    #1297430 - 02/10/03 03:54 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Yea, I caught the comment and disregarded it as well. Most, but not all corts are mycorhizzal. Was it growing from the base of the stump? It looks very much like a cort, that for sure. Spore print will tell us for certain.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1297469 - 02/10/03 04:11 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Well, did you print it on white paper? If so maybe you couldnt see the spore print color if it WAS white.. :smile:

I still think its a cort as well... 

OfflineMoon_Tea_Brewer
Stranger

Re: Mushroom ID Request! [Re: angryshroom]
    #1299020 - 02/11/03 06:46 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

No, there is no question about the substrate. The mushrooms were growing straight out of a fallen pine tree surrounded by water. These are wood-growing mushrooms. They were not growing near the stump; if the tree had still been standing, they would have been growing a dozen feet up the trunk. Also, none of the Cort mushroom picture links that have been posted resemble the mushrooms I have.

And yes, I did use white paper, so there may have been a white spore print. I doubt it though. The mushrooms were pretty dry to begin with.

Edited by Moon_Tea_Brewer (02/11/03 06:55 AM)

OfflineMoon_Tea_Brewer
Stranger

#1305211 - 02/13/03 08:51 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

A couple things.

I will keep any eye out for more specimens of this mystery species, and will try to get a spore print and better pictures for all of you to view. Until then, could I ask for what reasons this mushroom has been ruled out as magic, despite our inability to positively id it? What characteristics rule it out?

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1305536 - 02/13/03 10:48 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Well, there are many reasons why we would rule it out...

I would say MAINLY because of your region, and what type of mushrooms you WILL encounter in your area. No active mushrooms in that area will be growing directly off of a pine stump near a river.... I don't even think any active mushrooms grow from pine stumps... even any sort of stump, except gym's...but, they are usually bright yellow/orange, and have a different appearance.

Psilocybe's have a certain look to them as well. These look much different, as the stalks are very broad, and the caps are not the right shape. Panaeolus mushrooms are usually thin and somewhat fragile.

Finding actives are hard sometimes, depending on where you live. you will not just be able to walk around a forest and find an active...even if it looks like an active. You will need to look in pastures during the winter for liberty caps, pan subbalteatus in horse manure, and p. stunzii in grass. Psilocybe cyanescens will be found in hardwood chips. Unfortuently, time is growing near the end for these species, as they are fruit during winter.

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

#1305733 - 02/13/03 12:10 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

You've seen too many pictures of home-grown mushrooms. While some of the younger ones do resemble an immature cube, wild cubes do not look like that at all, are not native to your region and grow on cow shit.

OfflineMoon_Tea_Brewer
Stranger

#1308356 - 02/14/03 01:49 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Ahhh, you infer too much from my question. I did not doubt that the mushrooms were not magic, as people far more knowledgeable than myself had ruled that possibility out.

I did, though, find it interesting that a person could look at a mushroom they did not recognize yet be able to rule it out as psilocybin-bearing. That is a useful skill, one I would be happy to have.

Hence my previous question.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds