Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFreakazoid
Stranger
Re: Why aremy cakes pinning? [Re: Uber]
    #1292660 - 02/09/03 05:44 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I am gonna crumble and case a couple and then dunk some other ones. So I can try both and see what works. I've been told that experimentation is the way to learn, and being a strong believer in the scientific method i agree with that. Is there a secret ingredient in casings that grows mega-uber shrooms i should know about?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineODhaze
outdoorhaze

Loc: in the haze
Re: Why aremy cakes pinning? [Re: Freakazoid]
    #1292723 - 02/09/03 06:14 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

pasturized straw and horse/cow dung, coupled with grains of all sorts...

millet

rye

and the new pop corn craze...

lol

and coco coir as a casing layer

-outdoorhaze-

--------------------
I believe i will go out to the seashore, let the waves wash my mind. Gunna open up my head now just to see what i can find...

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1292735 - 02/09/03 06:18 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

It kinda looks like my cakes aren't making pins but rather creating more fluffy mycelia.

This is perfectly normal, and a good sign. The mycelium is breathing and establishing itself.

One week is really not a long enough time to begin worrying. Wait until two weeks pass. Be patient, they'll pin.

Also, a great way to control temperature during the fruiting phase is by using this incubator tek, it's very easy: http://www.fungifun.org/pf/incubator

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Edited by Angry Mycologist (02/09/03 06:23 AM)

OfflineFreakazoid
Stranger
Re: Why aremy cakes pinning? [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1292751 - 02/09/03 06:22 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

What is the difference between sterilazation, by boiling and pressure cooker and pasturization. Do you need some kind of special equipment or soemthing?

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #1292794 - 02/09/03 06:37 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Alright, heres something i saved from a thread a while ago:

STAGE 2
--------
Summary of Steps 11-20: We are setting up the proper environment for the mycellium network to develop into nice big mushrooms. In order to do this, we are "casing" - meaning crumbling our mycellium into straw and manure inside our
rubbermade. Once again, bacteria is our enemy- so we first pasturize (heat up the straw/manure) to kill the harmful bacteria. Notice that we don't want the temperature to heat up past 180 degrees or for longer than 1 hour 20 minutes,
or we risk killing the good bacteria that helps the shrooms grow.

After your jars are colonized, we are going to "case" them. This requires you get more materials.

- 2 bricks of cut up straw (Available at Michaels or other Arts and Crafts supply stores) - $10
- Organic Poo (Available at Lowes or Home Depot - Any brand is fine) $6

11) If you want to stink up your house, you can do this on a stove, otherwise get a garbage can. You want to have twice as much straw as you do manure.
Put the manure and straw into the garbage can. You are going to need to boil a lot of water and fill the garbage can till the manure/straw is covered. What you are doing is called "pasturizing." You are making sure there is no harmful bacteria in the straw or manure that so it does not contaminate our mycellium. Maintain a 160 degree to 180 degree temperature for 1 hour 20 minutes. If you don't have a temperature gauge, simply by adding more boiling water every 20 minutes
you should maintain the temperature.

12) Make sure your manure and straw is cooled and mixed, and then apply a 1 inch layer into the bottom of one your rubbermade container. Now open one of your quart jars and apply a inch layer of mycellium. (The mycellium in the jars have formed a strong network and is relatively contaminant resistant, so you want to still wear gloves when handling mycellium, but you don't need to worry as much about sterility.)

Now add another layer of straw/poo and then another layer of mycellium. Continue for 3 to 4 layers which should be about 3 of your quart jars. If you have 6 quart jars of mycellium, use 2 rubbermade's. After you have finished, apply a layer of saran wrap over the top of the 4 layers and "tuck under" as if you were tucking in a bed. You are doing this to insulate the heat. Poke holes into the saran wrap to allow for some air exchange. You want to PUSH REALLY HARD to make
the straw/poo as compact as possible. Put the lid on the rubbermade and prepare to wait till it colonizes.

13) After two weeks, your straw/poo mixture should be colonized. This means its covered in the white mycellium and is ready to be cased! If you see black or brown or ugly green mildow, you have been contaminated. You can try cutting this section out, but you are probably going to lose the battle.

The tek was using birdseed jars, but it really doesnt matter. Probably about the most straight forward tek for bulk growing your going to find. Im going to give it a go when my next set of jars are finished colonizing.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Invisibleno-tone
Enema Bag Jones

Loc: Warm, Moist and Dark
    #1292850 - 02/09/03 07:00 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

What is the difference between sterilazation, by boiling and pressure cooker and pasturization.

Sterilization is when you kill (or remove) all the (micro)organisms and their spores.

Pasteurization is when you kill only harmful(diseases) or unwanted(cause spoilage) organisms. This is done by heating the material to a certain temperature. It used to be 63 degrees Celcius for 30 min. Today they use flash pasteurization, 72 degrees celcius for 15 seconds. This kills most fungi and bacteria.

--------------------
Man thinks. God laughs. - Jewish Proverb

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract