Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemikejwill
dreamer

Loc: Midwest,usa
how do i submit a Tek (4 heating pad incubation)??
    #1292342 - 02/09/03 02:38 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

This is an idea that i've compiled from the lovely people here at shroomery,
It involves making an incubator with a shoe box and a heating pad....many people have tryied this (myself included) and gotten confused.
The trick i have found is that you put the jars in the shoe box, and put the heating pad on low, and on top of the shoe box with no weight on top. that is it....it's pritty simple, and it works....there are also ways to boost humidity in the box, such as a cup of perilite....or even a damp cloth.....

Just wondering because i know there aren't any good heating pad incubation teks out there and these are basic easy to use houshold items.

Edited by mikejwill (02/09/03 02:55 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezandorf
OTD residentvirginwizard-abstinenceain'teasy

Re: how do i submit a Tek?? [Re: mikejwill]
    #1292347 - 02/09/03 02:44 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

the reason there aren't any heating pad teks is that they
are fire hazards. No one wants to be the guy who told the newb to use a heating pad which he burned his house down with.

that being said, I use one too, i am curious to know why you put it in top,
i have found that if i set it on top of some styrofoam inside a box under a metal plate it heats quite well.

--------------------
We live in a world where lemonade is made with artificial flavours and furniture polish is made with all natural lemon.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: how do i submit a Tek?? [Re: zandorf]
    #1292356 - 02/09/03 02:50 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

true, true.

heatpads on shoeboxes, on styrofoam? a piece of glass on a beach. set that dangerous object on some tiles or something.

--------------------
buh

Offlinemikejwill
dreamer

Loc: Midwest,usa
Re: how do i submit a Tek?? [Re: zandorf]
    #1292357 - 02/09/03 02:51 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I just put it on top because my shoe box isn't big enough to actually fit the heating pad inside :smile:; however, good point.  i have heard that putting a heating pad in a enclosed space, with the jars, on the medium setting works just as well.

The basic fact of the matter is that people will do this method anyway, and as far as those of us who are doing it are concerned there is really no fire hazard.
i am cautious of such things as my house burning down,  as i imagine most people are :wink:

Offlinezandorf
OTD residentvirginwizard-abstinenceain'teasy

Re: how do i submit a Tek?? [Re: shirley knott]
    #1292361 - 02/09/03 02:55 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

good idea, i forgot to say i put a metal plate UNDER the pad too.

--------------------
We live in a world where lemonade is made with artificial flavours and furniture polish is made with all natural lemon.

InvisibleSubGen1us

Re: how do i submit a Tek (4 heating pad incubation)?? [Re: mikejwill]
    #1292371 - 02/09/03 03:02 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I burned up 3 fish heaters. Now i Put a heat pad under the same rubbermaid. It keeps the temp stable better then the heaters did. I wish i would have just used a heat pad instead of fish heaters from the start. Broken fish heaters are firehazards.

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: how do i submit a Tek?? [Re: mikejwill]
    #1292444 - 02/09/03 03:56 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The basic fact of the matter is that people will do this method anyway, and as far as those of us who are doing it are concerned there is really no fire hazard.
i am cautious of such things as my house burning down,  as i imagine most people are :wink: 

I agree with you, not much of a fire hazard, and people are going to do it anyways. Ive got a different variation using a heating pad as an incubator...perhaps usefull for more than shoe box full of jars? What i have recently done (and its working out fine) is, filled up a bucket abour 14" tall with about 8" or so of water. Then i took an old bag from Schultz brand vermiculite (air tight) and put my jars in it (itll hold 14 or so half pints) and simply submerge this in the water, which is heated from below on medium heat with a heating pad.

The only thing im unsure of is wether or not to keep the bag sealed or not. Anyways...this is alot easier, and cheaper than the double rubbermaid bin fishtank heater thing, and works just as good, if not better. 

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineCheebo
Earthling
    #21748885 - 06/01/15 02:42 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Nice tek I might have to try this

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21749060 - 06/01/15 03:25 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I saw a heating pad in a hydroponic store recently, you place it under a tray of clones and then put the thermometer wire into the clones and it will
Quote:

mikejwill said:
This is an idea that i've compiled from the lovely people here at shroomery,
It involves making an incubator with a shoe box and a heating pad....many people have tryied this (myself included) and gotten confused.
The trick i have found is that you put the jars in the shoe box, and put the heating pad on low, and on top of the shoe box with no weight on top.  that is it....it's pritty simple, and it works....there are also ways to boost humidity in the box, such as a cup of perilite....or even a damp cloth.....

Just wondering because i know there aren't any good heating pad incubation teks out there and these are basic easy to use houshold items.

You dont need to boost the humidity inside the box if you are incubating jars or bags..

Also, not all heating pads are the same its not as easy and just setting it to "low".

You might choose to include a section on when incubation is really nessesary. Honestly any temps above 65 really dont need it :shrug: most peoples room temp

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates