Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

[CA] New hybrid patent produces mushrooming business
    #12371471 - 04/11/10 04:35 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

New hybrid patent produces mushrooming business
April 11, 2010 - santacruzsentinel.com

ROYAL OAKS -- Although mushrooms grow from tiny spawn sown in raw wheat straw and horse bedding into smooth round caps in just a couple of months, the business of creating the perfect edible portobello was years in the making for Amycel/Spawn Mate, a sister company of Watsonville-based Monterey Mushrooms.

"It is the most remarkable mushroom strain we've seen in 30 years," said Steve Lodder, a research scientist who worked with Chris Robles on developing the new strain. "We really did have growers coming in and crying in the office."

Not only does the new mushroom increase yield by more than 20 percent per square foot, it has a thicker, "meatier" cap and a more marketable darker brown color than the Old Fashioned Brown strain that had dominated the market for more than 30 years.

More than 817 million pounds of mostly white mushrooms valued at nearly $960 million were produced in the 2008-2009 year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. About 20 percent of the more than 250 million pounds of mushrooms produced annually by the Monterey Mushroom farms are the new hybrid brown mushroom.

The largest mushroom grower in the world began with an "ugly, little" wild mushroom picked locally from the cool, damp Davenport region. For the next three years, Robles said they mixed and matched its genetic traits of a deep brown color with other commercial mushroom strains.

Genetic modifications are a result of hybridization and not the introduction of genetically modified organisms.

"I remember the day," Robles said, recalling when his thousands of hybridization experiments finally produced desired results. Most of the results were "funky" fungi and not commercially viable, but these were different. They looked like doorknobs on the mushroom tray.

"I remember rushing around showing people this mushroom because it was so unique. This is the first time something lived up to all the promises," he said.

Although the traditional white button mushroom still rules the market, and the company is now working on a new white mushroom strain, the new brown hybrid strain that produces Baby Bellas and Criminis as well as Portabellas, will eventually be 100 percent of the U.S. brown mushroom market, predicts John Kidder, vice president of Monterey Mushrooms.

The company spent the last five years patenting the new hybrid, introducing it first about five years as a Monterey Mushrooms product. A patent was granted in October -- the first new mushroom patent in decades -- and, earlier this year, Amycel, began selling the spawn, or seed, to other commercial growers.

The new strain has quickly "cannibalized" the market, Kidder said. Already it makes up about half the Australian market for brown mushrooms and it has also taken off in Europe as well. "For us this has been very exciting."

There have been some bumps in the road. Last month, Amycel filed a federal patent infringement case regarding the mushroom against competitor, L.F. Lambert Spawn Co. Within weeks, however, the case was quietly settled. Neither company will comment on the case. Also, because of the different growing cycle of the new strain, growers have had to adapt their practices accordingly.

The American Mushroom Institute reports an uptick in sales this year, and the market is showing increasing acceptance of the brown mushroom in general.

"Ten years ago, portobellos were a novelty," said Laura Phelps, president of the American Mushroom Institute. "Now you can buy them in any grocery store throughout the country."

Increasing focus on health issues throughout the country and revised nutritional guidelines expected to be announced this summer also bode well for the mushroom, said Bart Minor, president of the Mushroom Council.

Although the recession hit sales to the food service industry, which makes up about 50 percent of mushroom sales in the U.S., consumer demand has risen, Minor said. In February, retail sales were up overall 8 percent, which exceeds growth overall in the produce category.

"The only thing to put a little hitch in our get-along was the recession," he said. "We'd like to think that has little to do with our nutrition profile, which Monterey has embraced better than most."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCosmicLion
Organical
 User Gallery

Re: [CA] New hybrid patent produces mushrooming business [Re: veggie]
    #12372810 - 04/11/10 01:27 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Isolating substrains is the future of mycology.

Medicinal and gourmet mushrooms are only recently starting to get the attention they deserve. Now and more so in the future is a huge demand for isolates that yield more, taste different and have potent properties.

The real trick is is developing mutation techniques to quickly produce new DNA.

--------------------
:peace:    :peace:

Earth's Essence

OfflinePumpkin Escobar
I'm Moodless
Male

Loc: Tejas
Re: [CA] New hybrid patent produces mushrooming business [Re: CosmicLion]
    #12377917 - 04/12/10 12:17 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i'm not into GMO i hope thats not what they were doing, i'd rather have an ugly mushroom than a GMO mushroom

--------------------
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!" 
                                      -Jack Kerouac

Offlinexenhex
Noob
Male

Loc: Murphy, NC Flag
Re: [CA] New hybrid patent produces mushrooming business [Re: Pumpkin Escobar]
    #12377933 - 04/12/10 12:20 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

where canu get that?

--------------------

Offlinephreakod98
Dood
Male

Loc: Maine
Re: [CA] New hybrid patent produces mushrooming business [Re: Pumpkin Escobar]
    #12378188 - 04/12/10 01:06 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Pumpkin Escobar said:
i'm not into GMO i hope thats not what they were doing, i'd rather have an ugly mushroom than a GMO mushroom

It's not GMO, its just hybridizing, breeding the right mushrooms until they get the most consistent desired result.

"Genetic modifications are a result of hybridization and not the introduction of genetically modified organisms."

Like it says in the article.

--------------------
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride. :fearandloathing:

OfflineRitual
Spore Collecter
Male
Re: [CA] New hybrid patent produces mushrooming business [Re: phreakod98]
    #12379025 - 04/12/10 03:28 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I think being able to patent a mushroom strain is ridiculous.

So is being able to patent genetically modified crops.

These patents from the likes of Stamets,  Monsanato,  etc etc need to be challenged.

OfflineCosmicLion
Organical
 User Gallery

Re: [CA] New hybrid patent produces mushrooming business [Re: Ritual]
    #12383860 - 04/13/10 07:51 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ritual said:
I think being able to patent a mushroom strain is ridiculous.

So is being able to patent genetically modified crops.

These patents from the likes of Stamets,  Monsanato,  etc etc need to be challenged.

A part of me agrees with what you are saying.

As someone who researches medicinal isolates, its hard for me to completely agree.

If I spend 15 years doing experimental mutation techniques and spend 15+ hours a week of my FREE time to in a lab working on agar trying to isolate a medicinal sub-strain I want to get credit for it. If I didn't think that finding a medicinal or environmentally significant sub-strain was profitable I wouldn't put so much time into it. No one would except for the intensely passionate which are far and few between.

It's not solely about greed either. I mean I could do business and get some management accounting job and kickass for whatever corporation I was working for. My heat calls my towards mycelium and I feel finding a beneficial substrain of medicinal mushroom will be MUCH more helpful to mankind then being a good accountant. That doesn't mean that it still isn't my profession and that I wouldn't want what I worked hard for over the last 20 years.

I believe something in the order of pharmaceutical patents might be in order.

The founder of a set or rare genetics can "patent" the genes and profit off them exclusively for a period of time, say, 5 years.

After this time period the genes will be opened up to the public and legal to use as "generic" versions of that DNA where as the originators can still have the "name brand" original product for a higher price.

--------------------
:peace:    :peace:

Earth's Essence

OfflineBiffzilla
Emperor of Bongolia

Re: [CA] New hybrid patent produces mushrooming business [Re: CosmicLion]
    #12922404 - 07/20/10 12:33 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I think this is relevant: did these researchers bother to take into consideration the breast cancer inducing agaritine levels of this strain? No, apparently they were only after higher crop yields.
What a shame.

--------------------
===================================================================
- Show me the honey -
===================================================================

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates