Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNirvhead
-State of Art-

Loc: WA State, USA
My Ghetto Setup *pics*
    #1292169 - 02/08/03 11:19 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Nothing special,  but thought I would share anyway. I inoculated 12 jars on 12-22-02 and kept them in an ice chest with a fish tank heater submerged in an apple juice container. Visible colonization started 6 days later on 12-28. Full colonization in all but one jar was reached on the 15th day on 1-6-03. I let all of the jars incubate until pins were observed in vitro on 1-21... Actually they continued to incubate until 1-23, which is when I birthed them (except for one cake which was too wet and eventually was thrown out).

My original terrarium was a fish tank equipped with a piece of flexible plastic I found lying in a pile of junk by my house - Without a saw at hand I had to use a hammer and screwdriver to chisel it to an appropriate size for use as a drip shield  :cool: For a lid I fashioned some double thick strips of cardboard taped together and covered with a drop cloth. All but one of the cakes had multiple fruits of varying sizes by 1-28.

All throughout the process of this (my first grow), I experimented with just about everything. From water/verm/BRF ratios to cold shocking and dunking to inner reservoir and the double ended casing tek.

A couple of days ago I got sick of the fish tank terrarium and set about making a new terrarium using the following supplies:

1 very large Tupperware container.
The lid to said container.
A plastic drop cloth.
A computer fan with bolts.
2 lengths of twine.
4 strips of wood from an old section of lattice.

Using a sharp paring knife, I cut the lid of the Tupperware container down to a size that would fit inside the container as a drip shield. I left the overlap-snapping part of the lid intact on one end so it could easily be hooked over the container. To maximize available fruiting space and also to make the ceiling in the fruiting chamber as high as possible while still retaining a slant, I cut two holes on the low end of the lid/drip shield and used twine to suspend it in mid-air. I then used the paring knife to gouge a few small slits in the end of the terrarium near the bottom and bolted a computer fan on the inside wall of the terrarium facing out (blowing CO2 OUT of the terrarium to semi-automate air exchange). Finally I used packing tape to connect the four strips of wood and then taped a large piece of a drop cloth around the wood frame to make my lid. I now have 5 double-ended cased cakes, 5 regular PF cakes, one cake using an inner reservoir tek, and one straight verm casing sitting in this new terrarium.

Here's my terrarium from the outside.

And here is the Tupperware lid-turned-dripshield.

A shot of the cakes as they were about 4 hours ago.

A wider shot of the cakes.

Here's the computer fan I bolted to the side.

A closer look at some of the fattest little guys growing right now. These are all second flush and look very different than the mushrooms I collected from the first flush.

The last 3 mushrooms I picked from the first flush - now nice and dry and awaiting consumption. 

--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
I turn my back to the east,
From whence comforts have increas'd;
For light doth seize my brain
With frantic pain.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAudi0
have ur cake andbeat it 2
Female User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South !
Re: My Ghetto Setup *pics* [Re: Nirvhead]
    #1292174 - 02/08/03 11:28 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

For active air and moisture you could add an aquarium pump with the tube attached to a bubble stone placed in a jar of water/peroxide. What strain is that btw?

--------------------

OfflineNirvhead
-State of Art-

Re: My Ghetto Setup *pics* [Re: Audi0]
    #1292200 - 02/08/03 11:43 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I may be gettin an aquarium pump soon. I'm still adjusting to having money. Before this month I had to do everything half-assed and cheap since I'm unemployed, but then I got a $4000 tax refund  :shocked:

What strain? Uh... err... that's something I still haven't figured out. I got the syringe from dobie420_247 when we went Azurescens hunting together, but I forgot what strain he told me it was. And now he's never around, so this may remain a mystery for all time. Characteristics of the strain include: reddish brown caps turning lighter and yellowish upon maturity, when young the caps have white specks on them; the stems are a bright white and fibrous; caps never upturn; and a whole bunch of other shit that could be said of just about any Cubensis.

--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
With frantic pain.

Invisiblerazer
enthusiast
    #1292354 - 02/09/03 04:48 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well, if I had to guess, i'd say those were B+

--------------------
All events stated by myself are only fictionous stories, any relations to true events are intirely coincidental.

Anonymous

#1292877 - 02/09/03 09:11 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i can't understand why anyone uses anything other than perlite for humidity when doing pf cakes.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My Ghetto Setup *pics* [Re: ]
    #1292886 - 02/09/03 09:14 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i agree. stick an inch of wet perlite in the bottom of your terrarium you won't regret it.

:grin:

--------------------
buh

OfflineTekNut

Loc: TX Gulf Coast
    #1292908 - 02/09/03 09:20 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I may be gettin an aquarium pump soon. I'm still adjusting to having money. Before this month I had to do everything half-assed and cheap since I'm unemployed, but then I got a $4000 tax refund  :shocked:

Well now you can get outta da ghetto!  You'll be "moving on up, to the east side" and remember to come back and show us some pics of your new East Side Setup!  :wink:

Lookin good!
-TekNut-

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
- Abraham Maslow 

Offlineback_room_farmer
enthusiast
Loc: Bavaria, Germany
Re: My Ghetto Setup *pics* [Re: shirley knott]
    #1292909 - 02/09/03 09:21 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

With my new setup, I have the perlite and the bubler, two stones one pump, and stays at 95% humidity constant with the bubbler on a timer 15 min every three hours, am still looking for a comp fan to use, however I do have small holes at the bottum of my grow chamber to allow co2 out during the pump fazes of the day

--------------------
are you talkin' to me? oh! you are! wassuuppppp!

Offlineback_room_farmer
enthusiast
Loc: Bavaria, Germany
Re: My Ghetto Setup *pics* [Re: shirley knott]
    #1292918 - 02/09/03 09:23 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

:tongue:

--------------------
are you talkin' to me? oh! you are! wassuuppppp!

OfflineNirvhead
-State of Art-

Re: My Ghetto Setup *pics* [Re: ]
    #1292947 - 02/09/03 09:35 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

i can't understand why anyone uses anything other than perlite for humidity when doing pf cakes.

Understand this, foo: I've already splurged on a digital camera, a BB gun, jars, Rubbermaid containers, a pressure cooker, a DVD player, a shitload of pizza deliveries, an MP3-discman, and a bunch of other shit. My wife did her own fair share of splurging as well, so here's the current situation... Every other day or so I say I need this or that and we go downtown and buy it, then I allow a one day cool-down period so that my wife can get over her feelings of guilt over spending all this money. So hows about tomorrow I tell her I need some perlite and a bubbler? Heh heh.

Quote:

Well now you can get outta da ghetto! You'll be "moving on up, to the east side" and remember to come back and show us some pics of your new East Side Setup!

Fuck da east side, buncha posers. I'll show you some west side ingenuity.

--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
With frantic pain.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation